Are we becoming a mirror of the Detroit Lions?

AKC

Since the Buffalo Bills have taken DLinemen with our top pick in two drafts, we've used our top pick for Wideouts 4 times and Corners 5 times.

Since the Detroit Lions have taken DLinemen with their top pick in two drafts, they've used their top pick for Wideouts 4 times and Corners 3 times.

The Super Bowl teams, who not coinicdentally led the NFL in sacks this past season, broke down this way:

Wide Receivers:

4 Buff

4 Detroit

0 New England*

0 New York

Cornerback

5 Buff

4 Detroit

1 New England*

2 New York

If we continue the trend, I'm guessing we'll be looking for a new GM in 2009- Matt Millen should also be available and what a great fit that might be!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the Buffalo Bills have taken DLinemen with our top pick in two drafts, we've used our top pick for Wideouts 4 times and Corners 5 times.

Since the Detroit Lions have taken DLinemen with their top pick in two drafts, they've used their top pick for Wideouts 4 times and Corners 3 times.

The Super Bowl teams, who not coinicdentally led the NFL in sacks this past season, broke down this way:

Wide Receivers:

4 Buff

4 Detroit

0 New England*

0 New York

Cornerback

5 Buff

4 Detroit

1 New England*

2 New York

Horrible post. Sorry I read this.

I don't think you are making sense.. Marshawn, JP, McCargo, Whitner, Mike Williams.. none of those are WR or CB. You been drinking buddy?

.. in either case I'm always nervous about taking a WR or CB with our 11th pick. I kind of hope we don't. But there needs to be a good DL or LB up there worth taking with #11. If not, Clements, Winfield, and Evans all worked out pretty well IMO. I hope we can repeat that success.

Wide Receivers:

4 Buff

4 Detroit

0 New England*

0 New York

Cornerback

5 Buff

4 Detroit

1 New England*

2 New York

If we continue the trend, I'm guessing we'll be looking for a new GM in 2009- Matt Millen should also be available and what a great fit that might be!

Exactly. Its cleary Russ Brandon's fault we took Thomas Smith and Jeff Burris. :wallbash:

I don't think you are making sense.. Marshawn, JP, McCargo, Whitner, Mike Williams.. none of those are WR or CB. You been drinking buddy?

.. in either case I'm always nervous about taking a WR or CB with our 11th pick. I kind of hope we don't. But there needs to be a good DL or LB up there worth taking with #11. If not, Clements, Winfield, and Evans all worked out pretty well IMO. I hope we can repeat that success.

The last two top picks used on DL go way back- to Bruce Smith. Flowers was the other. Over that span, we've been CB and WR slap-happy.

Our more capable competition seems to have figured out a better approach. The question in April will be- are we paying attention?

Wide Receivers:

4 Buff

4 Detroit

0 New England*

0 New York

Cornerback

5 Buff

4 Detroit

1 New England*

2 New York

I can appreciate a crusade as well as the next guy but it's time to get back on the meds.

GO BILLS!!!

Anything related to Pats* shouldn't count because of the *, so let's count the first picks of the consistently very good AFC teams over last 8 drafts:

Indy - 2 WR, 2 DB, 1 DE, 1 RB, 1 TE , 1 LB

Pitt - 2 WR, 1 DB, 1 DT, 1DE, 1 QB, 1 TE , 1 LB

SD- 2 WR, 4 DB, 1 QB, 1 LB, 1 RB

What does that say? Not much, other than you better have good people evaluating talent, because many of those picks were crap.

Anything related to Pats* shouldn't count because of the *, so let's count the first picks of the consistently very good AFC teams over last 8 drafts:

Indy - 2 WR, 2 DB, 1 DE, 1 RB, 1 TE , 1 LB

Pitt - 2 WR, 1 DB, 1 DT, 1DE, 1 QB, 1 TE , 1 LB

SD- 2 WR, 4 DB, 1 QB, 1 LB, 1 RB

What does that say? Not much, other than you better have good people evaluating talent, because many of those picks were crap.

San Diego has solid talent in the middle of their DLine- they suit 5 interior guys on Sundays and don't overlook either the talent quotient or numbers inside.

Pitt is a real wild card when it comes to their drafting and the quality of their D play- but since they play a true 3-4 they carry 2 NTs and then 3 other DLinemen in the 300 pound range. The anchor for that line though (Casey Hampton) was taken 19th overall.

Indy is the only one who has really subpar talent in the middle. They were a top 5 D overall, but they were 15th against the run. They're a team like us who would become a much better overall team the moment they bring in another good DT to stick in their rotation.

And you're 100% right- you better be good when you make the selection; I'm just thinking that if the Bills succeed at doing that this year there'll be a lot of unhappy fans.

And you're 100% right- you better be good when you make the selection; I'm just thinking that if the Bills succeed at doing that this year there'll be a lot of unhappy fans.

That's what I was driving at. Never like to use hindsight to prove a point, but drafting Howard instead of Flowers, Rogers over Schobel, not trading up for Denney when Alex Brown is still on the board, and getting Umenyura instead of Kelsay would make this thread moot.

Not every draft is perfect, but having good personnel people is more important than targeting positions at any point in the draft.

Wide Receivers:

4 Buff

4 Detroit

0 New England*

0 New York

Cornerback

5 Buff

4 Detroit

1 New England*

2 New York

1997 - Round 1 - (23) Antowain Smith (RB)

1998 - Round 2 - (39) Sam Cowart (LB)

1999 - Round 1 - (23) Antoine Winfield (CB) Corrected

2000 - Round 1 - (26) Erik Flowers (DE) ;)

2001 - Round 1 - (21) Nate Clements (CB)

2002 - Round 1 - (4) Mike Williams (OT) :lol:

2003 - Round 1 - (23) Willis McGahee (RB) :doh:

2004 - Round 1 - (13) Lee Evans (WR)

2005 - Round 2 - (55) Roscoe Parrish (WR)

The only drafts of the current Bills front office:

2006 - Round 1 - (8) Donte Whitner (S)

2007 - Round 1 - (12) Marshawn Lynch (RB)

So over the past eleven drafts

3 - Running Backs

2 - Wide Receivers

1 - Linebacker

1 - Defensive End

2 - Cornerback

1 - Offensive Tackle

1 - Safety

Detroits last eleven drafts;

1997 - Round 1 - (5) Bryant Westbrook - (CB)

1998 - Round 1 - (20) Terry Fair - (CB)

1999 - Round 1 - (9) Chris Claiborne - (LB)

2000 - Round 1 - (20) Stokar McDougle (OT)

2001 - Round 1 - (18) Jeff Backus (OT)

2002 - Round 1 - (3) Joey Harrington (QB)

2003 - Round 1 - (2) Charles Rogers (WR)

2004 - Round 1 - (7) Roy Williams (WR)

2005 - Round 1 - (10) Mike Williams (WR)

2006 - Round 1 - (9) Ernie Sims (LB)

2007 - Round 1 - (2) Calvin Johnson (WR)

4 - Wide Receivers

2 - Cornerbacks

2 - Linebackers

2 - Offensive Tackles

1 - Quarterback

The resemblance is uncanny!!! :wallbash:

Wide Receivers:

4 Buff

4 Detroit

0 New England*

0 New York

Cornerback

5 Buff

4 Detroit

1 New England*

2 New York

Inaccurate post, iffy premise at best, and at worst, it matches your politics.

1997 - Round 1 - (23) Antowain Smith (RB)

1998 - Round 2 - (39) Sam Cowart (LB)

1999 - Round 1 - (23) Antoine Winfield (CB) Corrected

2000 - Round 1 - (26) Erik Flowers (DE) :lol:

2001 - Round 1 - (21) Nate Clements (CB)

2002 - Round 1 - (4) Mike Williams (OT) :doh:

2003 - Round 1 - (23) Willis McGahee (RB) :doh:

2004 - Round 1 - (13) Lee Evans (WR)

2005 - Round 2 - (55) Roscoe Parrish (WR)

The only drafts of the current Bills front office:

2006 - Round 1 - (8) Donte Whitner (S)

2007 - Round 1 - (12) Marshawn Lynch (RB)

3 - Running Backs

2 - Wide Receivers

1 - Linebacker

1 - Defensive End

2 - Cornerback

1 - Offensive Tackle

1 - Safety

1997 - Round 1 - (5) Bryant Westbrook - (CB)

1998 - Round 1 - (20) Terry Fair - (CB)

1999 - Round 1 - (9) Chris Claiborne - (LB)

2000 - Round 1 - (20) Stokar McDougle (OT)

2001 - Round 1 - (18) Jeff Backus (OT)

2002 - Round 1 - (3) Joey Harrington (QB)

2003 - Round 1 - (2) Charles Rogers (WR)

2004 - Round 1 - (7) Roy Williams (WR)

2005 - Round 1 - (10) Mike Williams (WR)

2006 - Round 1 - (9) Ernie Sims (LB)

2007 - Round 1 - (2) Calvin Johnson (WR)

4 - Wide Receivers

2 - Cornerbacks

2 - Linebackers

2 - Offensive Tackles

1 - Quarterback

The resemblance is uncanny!!! ;)

Winfield is a corner. Also, it's not about what position you draft... it's about their talent and filling a need. Detroit hasn't been filling needs when they drafted all those WR's.

:doh: Thanks I corrected that. At least give me credit for looking all that :wallbash: up. :D

4 - Running Backs

2 - Wide Receivers

1 - Linebacker

1 - Defensive End

1 - Cornerback

1 - Offensive Tackle

1 - Safety

4 - Wide Receivers

2 - Cornerbacks

2 - Linebackers