Are we becoming a mirror of the Detroit Lions?

AKC

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the Buffalo Bills have taken DLinemen with our top pick in two drafts, we've used our top pick for Wideouts 4 times and Corners 5 times.

Since the Detroit Lions have taken DLinemen with their top pick in two drafts, they've used their top pick for Wideouts 4 times and Corners 3 times.

The Super Bowl teams, who not coinicdentally led the NFL in sacks this past season, broke down this way:

Wide Receivers:

4 Buff

4 Detroit

0 New England*

0 New York

Cornerback

5 Buff

4 Detroit

1 New England*

2 New York

If we continue the trend, I'm guessing we'll be looking for a new GM in 2009- Matt Millen should also be available and what a great fit that might be!

Besides the fact that this post is just plain ridiculous, I have to ask how far back you are taking this in terms of years. Because, in case you weren't aware, here's the Bills first round picks for the last, say, seventeen years.

2007-Marshawn Lynch RB

2006-Donte Whitner SS

2006-John McCargo DT

2005-None

2004-Willis McGahee RB

2003-J.P. Losman QB

2003-Lee Evans WR (1)

2002-Mike Williams OT

2001-Nate Clements CB

2000-Erik Flowers DE (OUCH)

1999-Antoine Winfield CB

1998-None (Sam Cowart 2nd)

1997-Antoine Smith RB

1996-Eric Moulds WR (2)

1995-Ruben Brown OG

1994-Jeff Burris FS

1993-Thomas Smith CB

1992-John Fina OT

1991-Henry Jones SS

1990-James Williams CB

In the last seventeen years, we have drafted 2 WRs in the first round. 2. And both of them were pretty darn good. Moulds is second all time on the team in all statistical categories and may make it into the HOF. Not likely, but he might. And Lee Evans has turned out all right if you ask me. Now, in 2005 we did not have a first round pick, though we did take Roscoe Parrish in the second round. If you count him, then it is too early to tell. He may still turn into a very good WR for us. Right now we know he is a heck of a KR though. :wallbash:

As for DBs we've taken a few of those. Nate Clements and Antoine Winfield were ballers. No denying that. Yet those guys were taken early 2000's and in 1999. Before that, the last DB of any type we drafted was Jeff Burris in 1994. He was an average DB, not great, not terrible. Thomas Smith was a bust with injury issues. So there's one. Henry Jones was an above average strong safety who was an asset to the Bills last two SB teams. And James Williams I had never heard of, so Bust. Therefore, the results of your hypothesis were: UNPROVEN!

Buffalo has had two clear busts at DB and none at WR. So, perhaps you should take a look at the actual history before you start spouting off. And just for your edification, the next five picks prior to 1990 are listed for you.

1989-None (Don Beebe WR was their first pick in the Third Round. He was a pretty darn good WR)

1988-None (Thurman Thomas RB in the Second Round)

1987-Shane Conlan LB

1986-Ronnie Harmon RB

1985-Bruce Smith (1st Overall Selection)

1985-Derrick Burroughs CB (He was pretty good too as I recall)

1984-Greg Bell RB

1983-Jim Kelly QB

Besides the fact that this post is just plain ridiculous, I have to ask how far back you are taking this in terms of years. Because, in case you weren't aware, here's the Bills first round picks for the last, say, seventeen years.

2007-Marshawn Lynch RB

2006-Donte Whitner SS

2006-John McCargo DT

2005-None

2004-Willis McGahee RB

2003-J.P. Losman QB

2003-Lee Evans WR (1)

2002-Mike Williams OT

2001-Nate Clements CB

2000-Erik Flowers DE (OUCH)

1999-Antoine Winfield CB

1998-None (Sam Cowart 2nd)

1997-Antoine Smith RB

1996-Eric Moulds WR (2)

1995-Ruben Brown OG

1994-Jeff Burris FS

1993-Thomas Smith CB

1992-John Fina OT

1991-Henry Jones SS

1990-James Williams CB

In the last seventeen years, we have drafted 2 WRs in the first round. 2. And both of them were pretty darn good. Moulds is second all time on the team in all statistical categories and may make it into the HOF. Not likely, but he might. And Lee Evans has turned out all right if you ask me. Now, in 2005 we did not have a first round pick, though we did take Roscoe Parrish in the second round. If you count him, then it is too early to tell. He may still turn into a very good WR for us. Right now we know he is a heck of a KR though. ;)

As for DBs we've taken a few of those. Nate Clements and Antoine Winfield were ballers. No denying that. Yet those guys were taken early 2000's and in 1999. Before that, the last DB of any type we drafted was Jeff Burris in 1994. He was an average DB, not great, not terrible. Thomas Smith was a bust with injury issues. So there's one. Henry Jones was an above average strong safety who was an asset to the Bills last two SB teams. And James Williams I had never heard of, so Bust. Therefore, the results of your hypothesis were: UNPROVEN!

Buffalo has had two clear busts at DB and none at WR. So, perhaps you should take a look at the actual history before you start spouting off. And just for your edification, the next five picks prior to 1990 are listed for you.

1989-None (Don Beebe WR was their first pick in the Third Round. He was a pretty darn good WR)

1988-None (Thurman Thomas RB in the Second Round)

1987-Shane Conlan LB

1986-Ronnie Harmon RB

1985-Bruce Smith (1st Overall Selection)

1985-Derrick Burroughs CB (He was pretty good too as I recall)

1984-Greg Bell RB

1983-Jim Kelly QB

Geez, it's a shame nobody had already posted say :wallbash: the last eleven years first selections to save you time. You wouldn't have had to waste so much time. :lol:

So over the past eleven drafts

3 - Running Backs

2 - Wide Receivers

1 - Linebacker

1 - Defensive End

2 - Cornerback

1 - Offensive Tackle

1 - Safety

Detroits last eleven drafts;

4 - Wide Receivers

2 - Cornerbacks

2 - Linebackers

2 - Offensive Tackles

1 - Quarterback

The resemblance is uncanny!!! :wallbash:

I understand that Fantasy "Managers" wouldn't notice the lack of DTs in the span you've chosen above, but it's there for anyone who can grasp what the better teams in the league have been doing. Most of the top team spend substantial amounts of their top pick equity in their defensive interiors. You see a list of picks, the trend for anyone not obsessed with the offensive side of the football is that there is not a commitment to the DL by Detroit or Buffalo, as we see among the best tesm in the league.

Now feel free to get back to your inane conversation about which 2nd round talent WR you insist is our best choice at the 11th spot of the draft. And make sure to sign on with a couple of your 2 and 3 post aliases to convince yourself that there's someone else out there as daft as you are.

I understand that Fantasy "Managers" wouldn't notice the lack of DTs in the span you've chosen above, but it's there for anyone who can grasp what the better teams in the league have been doing. Most of the top team spend substantial amounts of their top pick equity in their defensive interiors. You see a list of picks, the trend for anyone not obsessed with the offensive side of the football is that there is not a commitment to the DL by Detroit or Buffalo, as we see among the best tesm in the league.

Now feel free to get back to your inane conversation about which 2nd round talent WR you insist is our best choice at the 11th spot of the draft. And make sure to sign on with a couple of your 2 and 3 post aliases to convince yourself that there's someone else out there as daft as you are.

Sez the guy who can't even get his facts straight. :wallbash:;)

As far as creating second and third aliases I don't need to. The vast majority of people in this thread agree that your post at the beginning of this thread is really stupid.

Also, please tell me how anything before the 2006 draft has anything to do with today's Bills. I'm curious about your justifications.

Last time i checked, our D-Line was fine. Only an idiot would draft at a position he is already deep at; when he was much more glaring needs.... like scoring 10 touchdowns last season.

Last time i checked, our D-Line was fine. Only an idiot would draft at a position he is already deep at; when he was much more glaring needs.... like scoring 10 touchdowns last season.

After even a cursory consideration of the DLine talent rostered by the top teams in the NFL today, only an idiot would believe that our DLine is fine.

So you wouldn't take Ellis or Dorsey if they were to fall? Just askin'......... :wallbash: Are you telling me Harvey wouldn't be an improvement? There is no such thing as having an "abundance" of talent in the trenches. I don't care what your other needs are. Quality DL makes your secondary better and an outstanding OL makes your QB, WR and RB better.

There isn't a WR in this class that would even remotely make the Bills better than a trench guy. You can EASILY fill your desire for a WR in round 2 or later. Next!

So you wouldn't take Ellis or Dorsey if they were to fall? Just askin'......... :wallbash: Are you telling me Harvey wouldn't be an improvement? There is no such thing as having an "abundance" of talent in the trenches. I don't care what your other needs are. Quality DL makes your secondary better and an outstanding OL makes your QB, WR and RB better.

There isn't a WR in this class that would even remotely make the Bills better than a trench guy. You can EASILY fill your desire for a WR in round 2 or later. Next!

Stop talking like a smart NFL GM! This discussion is about filling out rookie fantasy rosters- you won't get points from those Defensive Tackles!

So you wouldn't take Ellis or Dorsey if they were to fall? Just askin'......... <_< Are you telling me Harvey wouldn't be an improvement? There is no such thing as having an "abundance" of talent in the trenches. I don't care what your other needs are. Quality DL makes your secondary better and an outstanding OL makes your QB, WR and RB better.

How does D-line make you not 30th in points scored?

Stop talking like a smart NFL GM! This discussion is about filling out rookie fantasy rosters- you won't get points from those Defensive Tackles!

Wow, are you truly this stupid? If you ran an NFL team you wouldn't score more than 10 points a game.

Wow, are you truly this stupid? If you ran an NFL team you wouldn't score more than 10 points a game.

Guess you missed the Super Bowl. And I'm not talking your FFL Super Bowl- clearly you've been treating that like it in some way resembles the NFL.

How does D-line make you not 30th in points scored?

Theoretically, by stopping the opposing offense, therefore giving the Bill's offense more time to score.

AKC has a point, pity he has dulled it by so much hyperbole. I wouldn't be upset if we got another DL guy in the first or second round IF someone falls to us.

He broke the code!! He broke the code!! He found the hidden map to the championship! To think it was right there in front of us all this time!

...offseason gets so long people start losing their freaking minds.

Hmm from a public relations stand point, maybe they should break the draft up into two parts. The 1st through 3rd rounds to occur say around now; the 4th-7th to occur somewhat after the actual draft date. That way everyone could geek out just a bit more. <_<

Guess you missed the Super Bowl. And I'm not talking your FFL Super Bowl- clearly you've been treating that like it in some way resembles the NFL.

AKC, please stop wasting your time arguing with people who don't really understand that a dominating interior defense is a virtual must-have to win regularly in the NFL.

Let them fantasize over WRs and RBs... there's a reason why they drink the kool-aid year after year. These are the same people who have predicted an 11-5 record for the past 5 years.

It's a beautiful day out here in Cali... go out and enjoy it. I would be, were it not for these damn taxes <_<

AKC, please stop wasting your time arguing with people who don't really understand that a dominating interior defense is a virtual must-have to win regularly in the NFL.

Let them fantasize over WRs and RBs... there's a reason why they drink the kool-aid year after year. These are the same people who have predicted an 11-5 record for the past 5 years.

It's a beautiful day out here in Cali... go out and enjoy it. I would be, were it not for these damn taxes <_<

Glad to know you agree totally with the man that thinks a singular DT is more important than the QB of the team.

Ok, I'll ask it this way. Should the Bills reach for a DT over a higher rated WR? I think that most of us can agree that a #2 WR is a greater need than a backup DT right now. So say the Bills have Limas Sweed rated as the best WR and they think he'll be drafted around number 22 and they like a DT they think will be around in the second round when they pick. Should they pass on Sweed because they'd be picking him 11 spots too early and lose him or reach for a DT they had rated lower?

Ok, I'll ask it this way. Should the Bills reach for a DT over a higher rated WR? I think that most of us can agree that a #2 WR is a greater need than a backup DT right now. So say the Bills have Limas Sweed rated as the best WR and they think he'll be drafted around number 22 and they like a DT they think will be around in the second round when they pick. Should they pass on Sweed because they'd be picking him 11 spots too early and lose him or reach for a DT they had rated lower?

Because this team is a lot further from competing than a lot of us think.

I'm all for finding a big, tall wide receiver to help out an inept offense and a young quarterback desperately in need of some weapons... in ROUND 2.

We need an infusion of young, cheap talent at the lines and more playmakers on defense. Until you address those needs, spending a top-15 pick on a WR is a luxury this team simply doesn't have...

- Our OL is very thin. One injury and we're back to square one.

- The DL needs more playmakers. Stroud is coming off an injury... I hope he plays lights out, but he has a lot of mileage on him, make no mistake about it -- there has to be a reason why Jax was so willing to let him go within the conference. Adding a young stud at DE will do wonders for the 3rd down defense that was so woeful.

- We lack a true #1 CB. We have a roster full of second and third cornerbacks but this team needs a lock-down corner that can match up one on one with the likes of Moss, Braylon Edwards, etc...

If they trade down, grab some extra picks and THEN take a WR lower in the first round, it's something I can live with. Thankfully, however, this draft is VERY deep at WR. It looks like it can wait until the 2nd round.