Favorite all time Bills FA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he was not a free agent. We made a big trade for him

Sorry I was like 10 when that all went down. He was one of my favorites during the Super Bowl runs. I also liked Mark Kelso. He played his whole career in Buffalo, but was not drafted by them.

Ted Washington and Chris Spielman

Spielman would have been the best if the injury didn't take him out - what a player. I have to go with Big Ted - Top Defense with him in the middle of the line. Let's hope Stroud can approach his level of play.

No love for London Fletcher from anyone????

Ted Washington, Spielman or Paup. You really can't go wrong.

Paup was basically a one year flash, never the same after the groin injury. Speilman would have been, except he too had too short a tenure with the Bills.

This leaves Mount Washington. I take this question as stated,a FA pick up as in a signing of an available FA, not an undrafted signing. Undrafted signings would be Pat Williams and Jason Peters who has the potential to be our best "steal".

Hull was brought in through the draft they had for USFL players after the league went belly up.

Funny, that's not what his media guide bio says:

1986: Signed with the Bills in the middle of training camp after being pursued as a FA by 9 clubs...

Who's your all time FA pick-up for the Bills?

I'll start

Bryce Paup

As far as pro free agents, Ted Washington. Washington allowed the team to transition from an offensively driven winner to a defensively driven winner very quickly. When Donahoe hired Williams and cut Washington it pretty much annihilated the remaining momentum and continuity of a winning franchise. Washington could have anchored any great 3-4 defense thru 2005 at least.

Did you read as far as the 2nd post in the thread?

Nah, I was too excited to get some Panos love out there!

Hull was brought in through the draft they had for USFL players after the league went belly up.

I think they held a draft a year or two earlier but I don't think anything ever came of it. The USFL was still playing and then had that court case that mucked everything up, and when it ended in 1985 and they announced they weren't playing in 1986, players started signing all over with the NFL. I don't think Kent Hull was drafted by the NFL (and if he was it was maybe the 12 round) so he didn't have a Kelly-like rights issue with the Bills. I don't know exactly how long NFL teams owned the rights for the contracts for first rounders but I'm almost positive that Hull was just a free agent and signed with the Bills.

I guess Lori's media guide shows that. Thanks.

EDIT: Here's a story that mentions it, he was a free agent.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C0A967958260

Hull, 30 years old, was recently selected for the Pro Bowl for the fourth straight year. A surprising turn of events for a man who, coming out of Mississippi State University, didn't think he was good enough to play in the National Football League, and wasn't sure he would ever be. Tries the N.F.L.

So when he was drafted in the seventh round by the Generals, he went with them. The U.S.F.L. folded after his third season, in 1986, and he thought he'd give the N.F.L. a chance. The Giants were interested in him, but he determined that he'd have his best chance with the Bills because of injuries to players at his position. "I figured that if I didn't make it, well, I'd just go home and back to farming and the car business," he said.