Last years first pick

Well I have read enough to know some here think Donte Whitner was a good pick and had a great rookie season and some think it was okay. I think neither. It was more in the middle to me. Now the pick. Let us ALL take a look at last years safties. I personally can not remember how deep the draft class was, but I do not think it was that deep. Micheal Huff was the big name, and Detriot took him. Now Madden is not the NFL, but when I look to draft, I do look at more than one player at a position for a said round. I usually have 5-6 players scouted for the first round. Marv knew safety was a need and I believe Huff was his guy. When Detriot drafted him he marked him off his list and continued on. Safety was a high priority need and I think he knew after Donte it might get thin. Was it a surprising move? I have to say no. I do not think anymove is surprising. I think as in life we have to make day to day adjustments and weigh all our options. If you are putting together a draft board I do believe first you have to weigh your needs, then you need to prioritize them, then you have to scout or get a judgement on a player, then you have to see who is available, if he is gone you have to again start at step #1, that is one of the reasons day 1 picks are given 15 minutes. So what i'd like to see more here is your draft with alternates for each round. Some I have seen have already done their homework, but if more do it will teach us all more about who is in this draft as well as future drafts.

Well I have read enough to know some here think Donte Whitner was a good pick and had a great rookie season and some think it was okay. A: I think neither. It was more in the middle to me. Now the pick. Let us ALL take a look at last years safties. I personally can not remember how deep the draft class was, but I do not think it was that deep. Micheal Huff was the big name, and Detriot took him. B: Now Madden is not the NFL, but when I look to draft, I do look at more than one player at a position for a said round. I usually have 5-6 players scouted for the first round. C: Marv knew safety was a need and I believe Huff was his guy. When Detriot drafted him he marked him off his list and continued on. Safety was a high priority need and I think he knew after Donte it might get thin. Was it a surprising move? I have to say no. I do not think anymove is surprising. I think as in life we have to make day to day adjustments and weigh all our options. If you are putting together a draft board I do believe first you have to weigh your needs, then you need to prioritize them, then you have to scout or get a judgement on a player, then you have to see who is available, if he is gone you have to again start at step #1, that is one of the reasons day 1 picks are given 15 minutes. So what i'd like to see more here is your draft with alternates for each round. Some I have seen have already done their homework, but if more do it will teach us all more about who is in this draft as well as future drafts.

I'm not sure how your conclusion (A) meshes with the rest of your post.

As far as (B) is concerned...Duh! Madden certainly is not the NFL. So? Where does Madden even enter this conversation?

And, finally, I dispute your speculation © that Huff was Marv's guy. Marv has stated he had Whitner targeted. Did the Bills even court Huff? (Honestly, i don't remember.) And, based on the first year, Whitner outplayed Huff.

So, if Marv had Safety targeted, and ended up with the best one (whether he was the first of second choice), why do you disagree it was neither a good nor OK choice? And, what's between "good" and "OK"?

Not sure what team Michael Huff plays for on Madden, but he plays for the Oakland Raiders who picked him @#7. Detroit picked after the Bills last year @#9 and took Ernie Sims. I believe Marv targeted Donte as a strong possibility as their man given that draft position (#8). Last year, like this year, they had many holes to fill through the draft and could went in many diffrent directions at that spot. Marv picked Whitner who was the best player on their board in that spot who also graded high on Marv's character criteria. Was SS the Bills' #1 priority going into last year's draft? Maybe,hard to say. Did the depth of the safety class force Marv's choice? Who knows as well.

Sometimes it's a slam dunk pick for a team in a particular draft slot. Other times, (like in Madden as you claim) you have a few players you like in that slot. A friend of mine was on a flight with Jerry Grey when Grey was on the interview circuit after the One Bills Drive house cleaning in Jan 06. Grey told my friend that in 2004 it came down to Lee Evans and Tommy Harris at #13 in the war room. Grey wanted Harris and Donahoe wanted Evans. We know who won that battle.

I hope Marv uses the #12 pick to grab a safety or corner just so I can watch many of you blow your !@#$ing brains out.

I'm one of the few who would NOT be surprised by a CB.

Well I have read enough to know some here think Donte Whitner was a good pick and had a great rookie season and some think it was okay. I think neither. It was more in the middle to me. Now the pick. Let us ALL take a look at last years safties. I personally can not remember how deep the draft class was, but I do not think it was that deep. Micheal Huff was the big name, and Detriot took him. Now Madden is not the NFL, but when I look to draft, I do look at more than one player at a position for a said round. I usually have 5-6 players scouted for the first round. Marv knew safety was a need and I believe Huff was his guy. When Detriot drafted him he marked him off his list and continued on. Safety was a high priority need and I think he knew after Donte it might get thin. Was it a surprising move? I have to say no. I do not think anymove is surprising. I think as in life we have to make day to day adjustments and weigh all our options. If you are putting together a draft board I do believe first you have to weigh your needs, then you need to prioritize them, then you have to scout or get a judgement on a player, then you have to see who is available, if he is gone you have to again start at step #1, that is one of the reasons day 1 picks are given 15 minutes. So what i'd like to see more here is your draft with alternates for each round. Some I have seen have already done their homework, but if more do it will teach us all more about who is in this draft as well as future drafts.

well you can take what you posted a step further.marv knew we were going to play a tampa -2.i am sure him and coach jauron sat down and drew up a 3 year game plan.marv also had the foresight to draft ashton youtboy.he did this knowing this was evaulation of talent season and that next season there would be no way we were going to sign nate when we could sign 2-3 quality players in nates place.a tampa-2 needs good safety's .we drafted whitner and ko simpson.this roster is really being transformed.i bet next year marv and coach jauron will have the roster they envisioned 2 off seasons earlier.go marv and go bills in"07.

I hope Marv uses the #12 pick to grab a safety or corner just so I can watch many of you blow your !@#$ing brains out.

This would be hilarious, if it wasnt coming from an unfunny west coast ****.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marv took Leon Hall with the 12th pick if both Peterson and Willis are gone by then which is a possibility. If the Lions trade down with Miami, then I see them picking Willis for their cover 2 scheme at the #7 spot. And I am very doubtful if Peterson gets past Atlanta. I know Atlanta would like to get the safety, but Warrick Dunn is aging and Peterson is a blue chip prospect that would be too good to pass up.

I have always felt that the #8 pick last year had as much to do with Marv trying to lay the groundwork for being a consensus builder as anything else. One of the major criticisms about TD was that he had a reputation as a control freak and a dictator. Whether that is indeed true or not, I believe that Marv wanted to set the tone by not only avoiding making a unilateral decision -- but making one that everyone on board could live with. I have a feeling that there were probably some scouts last year pining for Ngata, some for Bunkley -- and even some for Cutler or Leinart, given that JP had yet to prove himself. While some of these factions probably had a mutually exclusive stance (Ngata versus Bunkley -- or riding it out with JP versus drafting a QB), there was no such problem with Whitner. The fact that Whitner at SS fit a need, was one of the few true STRONG safeties coming out in the draft, was a very productive college player, and was by all accounts a good citizen seemed to seal the deal.

The interesting notion is that there was no "obvious" selection to be made with that #8 pick last year. Some thought Ngata may not have been such a great fit for the Cover-2 -- and there were whispers that he had a tendency to take too many plays off. Bunkley seemed like a better fit -- and he was a fast riser due to his great workouts. However, aside from a flashy final college season, he had been rather non-productive on the field. Marv had actually been very truthful with the press leading up to the draft stating that he did not want to bring in a "hot shot rookie QB" to cloud matters. I know the biggest beef was with Marv having NOT traded down in this situation. However, he did not want to lose out on Whitner for the reasons specified above -- and he wasn't convinced that Whitner would still be there if he traded down to 14-15 as everyone at ESPN insisted he should have. Interesting that no one criticized the Raiders for staying put and taking Huff or the Lions (who some insiders believe were very interested in Whitner as well) for taking Simms, rather than trading down, as one would have to suspect that similar trade proposals would have been on the table for these teams as well. The bottom line is that Marv circled Whitner as his guy -- and he did not want to risk losing out on him. I wish the pundits would have accepted that -- just like they did for all of the other teams picking toward the top of the draft.

I have a strong feeling that Marv will go the same route again this year, as barring something crazy happening with the first 11 picks, there does not appear to be an "obvious" choice this year either at #12. If we look at the following criteria, which the team seemed to apply with virtually all of their picks last year -- not just Whitner -- it may help us identify the player(s) they may be targeting.

1. An underclassman (the youth movement is on)

2. Productivity on the field in college

3. Top notch speed

4. Plays at a position of need (or at least where an upgrade is needed)

5. Tough on-the-field, but a good citizen off-the field

6. A player that everyone in the War Room can live with (**Based on my thesis, this may be the most important**)

The question is: who best fills that bill -- even if he is a slight "reach"?

I have no respect for people who spell curse words incorrectly just to not get in trouble

funny you mention this as i always feel the same way. whenever i see a purposely misspelled curse word, i sorta disregard the entire post at that point.

now, in the joke post from this thread, i dont really care since its a joke post to begin with. but yeah... i know what you mean

I have no respect for people who spell curse words incorrectly just to not get in trouble

I don't spell curse words incorrectly to keep from getting in trouble. I spell them incorrectly to get them past the filter.

To me, when you're reading, there's a difference between calling someone a "!@#$ing moron" and calling someone a "!@#$ing moron."

If people don't like it, they can !@#$ off.

I mean !@#$ off.

I don't spell curse words incorrectly to keep from getting in trouble. I spell them incorrectly to get them past the filter.

To me, when you're reading, there's a difference between calling someone a "!@#$ing moron" and calling someone a "!@#$ing moron."

If people don't like it, they can !@#$ off.

I mean !@#$ off.

Thats why there shouldn't be a filter. Can you !@#$ing dig it!!! :lol: