Bills will have a better chance to win the Super Bowl

Looking this whole thing over this morning, I came to the conclusion that the Bills would be best served to have a poor season record wise so that they could fall into the top 5 of next years draft and come away with several blue-chip prospects. This team was poor against the run last season and lost Fletcher, Spikes and argueably the best run support CB in the league in Clements. It's going to be very tough to find 3 starters in this draft to replace talent with talent. We also need to find a starting Hb via trade or in the Draft.

The Bills as a team would have a better chance at making a run at the Bowl in 2008 if they finished poorly this season and reaped the benifits of being able to find some prime talent in next years draft and benifit from a last place schedule.

To me it's all about winning that big one and I'd gladly take a step back this season for a more promising future.

Looking this whole thing over this morning, I came to the conclusion that the Bills would be best served to have a poor season record wise so that they could fall into the top 5 of next years draft and come away with several blue-chip prospects. This team was poor against the run last season and lost Fletcher, Spikes and argueably the best run support CB in the league in Clements. It's going to be very tough to find 3 starters in this draft to replace talent with talent. We also need to find a starting Hb via trade or in the Draft.

The Bills as a team would have a better chance at making a run at the Bowl in 2008 if they finished poorly this season and reaped the benifits of being able to find some prime talent in next years draft and benifit from a last place schedule.

To me it's all about winning that big one and I'd gladly take a step back this season for a more promising future.

I can honostly see the Bills taking a step back this year. I know that the draft is still two weeks away and the June 1st deadline has yet to pass. But does anyoner eallly think we can replace all the players, TALENTED players,we lost with draft picks and other teams cuts and still be a playoff team?

I would love to see the Bills go 10-6 or better and make a run in the playoffs, but I think common sense tells me they have too many holes to fill this year.

But then again, they may catch lightning in a bottle and do better than most people expect. I hope so.

I can honostly see the Bills taking a step back this year. I know that the draft is still two weeks away and the June 1st deadline has yet to pass. But does anyoner eallly think we can replace all the players, TALENTED players,we lost with draft picks and other teams cuts and still be a playoff team?

I would love to see the Bills go 10-6 or better and make a run in the playoffs, but I think common sense tells me they have too many holes to fill this year.

But then again, they may catch lightning in a bottle and do better than most people expect. I hope so.

If we draft Patrick Willis and trade for Turner or instead draft Antonio Pittman or Irons then I'd say that the only position we haven't at least stayed the same talent-wise at is CB. IMHO, Willis, Crowell and Ellington would be at least as effective as Fletcher, Spikes and Ellington or Fletcher, Ellington, Crowell, our two LB combos last year. Don't get me wrong--I loved TKO when he was here, but he was just not the same player last year. Ellington looked like a promising rookie and should be even better with another year under his belt. Willis being a high draft pick (for a reason) should be able to fill in for Fletch. The other Willis did not have a great year for us last year (the Jets games excepted) and I think Turner or one of the rookies, along with a steadier does of A-Train, would be his equal or better. As for Nate's loss, we clearly did not compensate for that so far this offseason, and likely won't. We'll be relying on our scheme and getting to the QB better than we did last year, which may be helped by the acquisition of D. Walker (27 sacks or so from the DT spot in his career) and the return of McCargo, who had a rep. as a similar penetrating DT in college. As that also illustrates, we have also upgraded our D-line at least slightly with those two being available this year.

With that, no one will deny that we also upgraded our O-line. This should help both JP and whoever our RB is immensely. We also seem to be getting no credit for our increase in experience. Our players will also have one full year in our systems on both sides of the ball under their belts and our young guys, especially our rookie defenders (Whitner, Simposon, K. Williams, Ellington) and JP, who each effectively had their first years as starters last year, will take a big step up in my opinion based on that experience. We had the second youngest team in the League last year and at times it showed. Young guys do have a tendency to get older and more experienced and I think we see a big jump this year in that regard. Your biggest jump up the learning curve is from year 1 to 2 IMO, so I expect good things from that whole crew. That's one reason why I think it's actually likely that we'll actually get closer to the Pats this year (not saying we'll overtake them in 2007, but I fully expect us to by 2008)--they have played together for years and their learning curve is likely to stay relatively flight, albeit at a higher level. Can't wait for them to strap them on and see how we do.....

Please stop that. You turn around a program drafting good players, teaching and coaching them, and by establishing a winning attitude ---- that means winning games on the field. Not by losing. The Bills need to learn how to win and that time is now. The idea of losing to get "one more good draft" is crazy. Good players are available in all rounds of the draft. New England has been winning for many years and they have no problem adding talent to their team via the draft.

You can't be serious?

Please stop that. You turn around a program drafting good players, teaching and coaching them, and by establishing a winning attitude ---- that means winning games on the field. Not by losing. The Bills need to learn how to win and that time is now. The idea of losing to get "one more good draft" is crazy. Good players are available in all rounds of the draft. New England has been winning for many years and they have no problem adding talent to their team via the draft.

I'm not saying they should try to LOSE to get a better position in the Draft on purpose. I'm just saying that if it did happen they would have a better chance of winning it all in 2008. In other words, I'm pretty much writing off the 2007 season because I don't think this team is close to being good enough to challenge for a Super Bowl ring, let alone a playoff spot. So, I'd rather go 4-12 or 5-11 if it meant winning 10 or 11 the next season. By winning (lets say) 7 games the team won't be in position in the Draft to significantly improve themselves as much as they would if they won 4 or 5 games.

I'm not saying they should try to LOSE to get a better position in the Draft on purpose. I'm just saying that if it did happen they would have a better chance of winning it all in 2008. In other words, I'm pretty much writing off the 2007 season because I don't think this team is close to being good enough to challenge for a Super Bowl ring, let alone a playoff spot. So, I'd rather go 4-12 or 5-11 if it meant winning 10 or 11 the next season. By winning (lets say) 7 games the team won't be in position in the Draft to significantly improve themselves as much as they would if they won 4 or 5 games.

I understand what you are saying. I think the Bills will be competitive though. We may not make the playoffs but I think the Marv Levy plan is a 3 year one...of course that may be a bit much considering the ages of the GM and owner.

IF someone could assure me that a top 5 pick in 2008 would get us to the 2009 superbowl, Great, let us finish 4-12.

But the reality is that half of the top 5 picks will be busts. We run the risk of tieing up a ton of money on a Mike Williams, Robert Gallery, Charles Rodgers, etc. and we gave up a good year of development.

I agree with your premise that we are really building for 2008 here, not 2007. But the way to do this is by winning NOW. This is a young group of guys who do not have the "buffalo losing attitiude". We need to win to build their confidence. Teach them to be winners. We can do this.

There are no guarentees that come with a top 5 pick.

Why not just trade all of this year's draft picks for the number 1 spot this year, then we can win the Superbowl a year early? It's alot easier and quicker than waiting a whole year and finding ways to lose games just to get the number one pick in 2008.

good i dea, teach the team how to lose so when it matters in the big game we can be 0 and 5. I like it :D

O and your right. theres really only 5 good players that come out each year. After that it's kinda luck right?

IF someone could assure me that a top 5 pick in 2008 would get us to the 2009 superbowl, Great, let us finish 4-12.

But the reality is that half of the top 5 picks will be busts. We run the risk of tieing up a ton of money on a Mike Williams, Robert Gallery, Charles Rodgers, etc. and we gave up a good year of development.

I agree with your premise that we are really building for 2008 here, not 2007. But the way to do this is by winning NOW. This is a young group of guys who do not have the "buffalo losing attitiude". We need to win to build their confidence. Teach them to be winners. We can do this.

There are no guarentees that come with a top 5 pick.

Amen.

Some people here put way too much stock in drafting high--and that high draft picks are a panacea. They are not.

We win the Super Bowl by having a core of great players and getting better every year.

good i dea, teach the team how to lose so when it matters in the big game we can be 0 and 5. I like it :D

O and your right. theres really only 5 good players that come out each year. After that it's kinda luck right?

Maybe if you got your head out of your arss ;) and read my post (or understood it) you wouldn't have come up with such an idiotic comment.

;)

:blink:

:wallbash:

i would like to see the bills win the superbowl with this group of players this season.i also think even if this group comes up short,they will be that much better next season.i think if we have a good draft this year,next year most positions will be set and we will be drafting mid twenty's and drafting for depth.go bills in"07

Maybe if you got your head out of your arss :wallbash: and read my post (or understood it) you wouldn't have come up with such an idiotic comment.

:D

;)

I am going to have to agree with Pepsi. Herm Edwards hit the nail on the head Firstngoal: "You play to win the game!"

A losing attitude is not an attitude you want to have. Losing records get people fired and cut. We can win now and we should. There is never a reason to lose games. Thats why the NBA is failing. Teams lose to get more lottery numbers so they can win the first pick in the draft. Picking first is wonderful if you draw it from a hat, but when you win it by losing it sucks. I would much rather be picking the 20s or 30s every year like the Pats than picking first once, even when a dynamic player like McFadden might be involved.

I understand what you are saying. I think the Bills will be competitive though. We may not make the playoffs but I think the Marv Levy plan is a 3 year one...of course that may be a bit much considering the ages of the GM and owner.

With our touch schedule this year (again) and young players developing, we will be an 8-8 team this year, on the way to 10-6 in 2008.