Bills And Bolts are talking trade talks

Best to wait. The price on Turner isn't going to go up. If the Titans sign him, that is one less team that is going to take a RB in the early rounds which means there will be one more back still on the board when our picks come up.

Agree. If it were me, I'd wait until draft day to do this deal or not unless the Bill's scouts think he is a can't miss player.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they decided he wasn't worth it. Exactly my point.

Oh c'mon. There aren't more than 4-5 backs in the league that a team would spend a #1 and a #3 on. The Chargers didn't do it because that is what he's worth or because they expected to get that much, they did it so no team would sign him at the lower restricted levels, and to get as much as they could for him.

Best to wait. The price on Turner isn't going to go up. If the Titans sign him, that is one less team that is going to take a RB in the early rounds which means there will be one more back still on the board when our picks come up.

Mickey, not picking on you...I have no idea how good Turner is...but if the coaching staff and front office think he can be a difference maker at running back in our scheme and they are willing to risk their jobs to acquire him...I am okay with "overpaying" a bit, particularly if the overpay part is next year.

AJ holds a lot of the cards in this negotiation. He is sitting on a team with Super Bowl talent and it does him really no harm at all to hold on to Turner. We aren't negotiating against any other team..we are negotiating with AJ Smith who has a great team this year that Turner is a part of and potentially a big part of if LT goes down for any length of time. AJ doesn't care about next offseason--chances to win like the one he has in front of him this coming year are rare it will take a lot to pry Turner away.

Wake up folks--this isn't a competition against the thumbtacks or anyone else -- its can the Bills offer AJ enough to warrant him going out and finding another suitable back up to LT, that's the decision the Bills front office has right now. AJ wants another top 100 pick or to move up in the 1st round to get a receiver. Anyone who says AJ's price is going down isn't thinking. He could care less about next offseason right now...and losing Turner..he has a floor price for Turner -- who is willing to meet it...

BBills--I think we as fans can grouse about that all we want..he has 150 carries in three years behind a really good scheme and line. He also breaks a lot of tackles.

The only evaluation that matters is Marv, Modrak, Jauron's, Overdorf, Guy, Fairchild and Studesville and most importantly Ralph..they take the risk. Ralph sent the plane--that's a pretty decent indication of what they think..if they want him they should have the guts to close the deal. We have the need, but we have other needs..its not even Turner vs. Peterson its Turner vs. what we can get in the second or third round which is what we will give for him this year.

Its dollars, but we have those in excess quantity right now. If we do this deal its also an indication that cash to the cap has been relaxed by revenue sharing.

I sent the plane because we were out of grey pupon and AJ knew of a speciality shop that carried it there in SD. Turner was nothing more than a delivery boy. I'd be willing to keep him around, for a 3rd rounder and a cash to cap friendly contract extension. Otherwise we'll grab a RB in the 2nd.

Signed,

Ralph

I sent the plane because we were out of grey poupon and AJ knew of a speciality shop that carried it there in SD. Turner was nothing more than a delivery boy. I'd be willing to keep him around, for a 3rd rounder and a cash to cap friendly contract extension. Otherwise we'll grab a RB in the 2nd.

Signed,

Ralph

Fixed.

Oh c'mon. There aren't more than 4-5 backs in the league that a team would spend a #1 and a #3 on. The Chargers didn't do it because that is what he's worth or because they expected to get that much, they did it so no team would sign him at the lower restricted levels, and to get as much as they could for him.

I totally agree. I think AJ wants to keep him around for insurance this year, because they are close to winning it all. If someone wants to overpay then of course they'd be willing to make the deal. (Personally I feel overpaying would be anything earlier than a 3rd.) I'd also expect to see SD pick up a back in the draft that they can groom as LT's back up for '08 and watch Turner leave as a free agent next year.

I sent the plane because we were out of grey pupon and AJ knew of a speciality shop that carried it there in SD. Turner was nothing more than a delivery boy. I'd be willing to keep him around, for a 3rd rounder and a cash to cap friendly contract extension. Otherwise we'll grab a RB in the 2nd.

Signed,

Ralph

AJ hates your guts old man. He could care less if you had to use the expired mustard packets from the concession stand.

Stick with us who love you dearly.

Love,

JoeF

I totally agree. I think AJ wants to keep him around for insurance this year, because they are close to winning it all. If someone wants to overpay then of course they'd be willing to make the deal. (Personally I feel overpaying would be anything earlier than a 3rd.) I'd also expect to see SD pick up a back in the draft that they can groom as LT's back up for '08 and watch Turner leave as a free agent next year.

I like Turner a lot and hope the Bills get him. That doesn't mean he's a top ten back in the league. And I am not completely sold on the Chargers. They are a very good but not great team IMO and the reason they are so very good is LT. If he goes down, I sincerely doubt they are going to win the Super Bowl with Michael Turner regardless of how much I like him. I think their receivers stink and Rivers is good but not great. Take the great back away and put a very good one in and I don't think they are a big threat to win it all. That's why trading Turner now makes sense.

I like Turner a lot and hope the Bills get him. That doesn't mean he's a top ten back in the league. And I am not completely sold on the Chargers. They are a very good but not great team IMO and the reason they are so very good is LT. If he goes down, I sincerely doubt they are going to win the Super Bowl with Michael Turner regardless of how much I like him. I think their receivers stink and Rivers is good but not great. Take the great back away and put a very good one in and I don't think they are a big threat to win it all. That's why trading Turner now makes sense.

Kelly -- your evaluation is probably spot on--but there is another factor here. AJ has sold the Spanos' on this being the year the team gets it done. They have allowed him to change coaches because he convinced him that Marty couldn't get it done in the postseason.

AJ has them convinced this is the year..and his ass is on the line--I am not convinced that he believes that trading Turner fits into the plan to win this year...just my 2 cents...

Kelly -- your evaluation is probably spot on--but there is another factor here. AJ has sold the Spanos' on this being the team the year to gets it done. They have allowed him to change coaches because he convinced him that Marty couldn't get it done in the postseason. AJ has them convinced this is the year..and his ass is on the line--I am not convinced that he believes that trading Turner fits into the plan to win this year...just my 2 cents...

That's a good point. But I think you win it all with a solid team and a couple stars that put you over the top. There is a big difference between being a playoff team and being a SB winner. The Chargers will still be good and a playoff team without LT, but they won't be a threat to win it all. If LT goes down, I doubt Spanos holds that against Smith unless the team totally tanks.

And no team in the league thinks he is one of those 4-5 backs. Neither do I. All those other teams, despite their need at RB, felt there were better options.

The Chargers don't expect to get that much and will almost certainly take less. All those other teams were aware of that and they still passed on him.

Mickey, not picking on you...I have no idea how good Turner is...but if the coaching staff and front office think he can be a difference maker at running back in our scheme and they are willing to risk their jobs to acquire him...I am okay with "overpaying" a bit, particularly if the overpay part is next year.

AJ holds a lot of the cards in this negotiation. He is sitting on a team with Super Bowl talent and it does him really no harm at all to hold on to Turner. We aren't negotiating against any other team..we are negotiating with AJ Smith who has a great team this year that Turner is a part of and potentially a big part of if LT goes down for any length of time. AJ doesn't care about next offseason--chances to win like the one he has in front of him this coming year are rare it will take a lot to pry Turner away.

Wake up folks--this isn't a competition against the thumbtacks or anyone else -- its can the Bills offer AJ enough to warrant him going out and finding another suitable back up to LT, that's the decision the Bills front office has right now. AJ wants another top 100 pick or to move up in the 1st round to get a receiver. Anyone who says AJ's price is going down isn't thinking. He could care less about next offseason right now...and losing Turner..he has a floor price for Turner -- who is willing to meet it...

Maybe but I think he is worth more to them in a trade than sitting on the bench watching LT. Sure he has a floor price for Turner and just as sure, he hasn't reached it yet which is why I think that whatever he is asking us for now (something none of us knows) it isn't his floor. He will get there eventually which is why I still say the price on him is going to drop from where he is now, not the floor, to where he will be eventually, ie, the floor you reference. Either that or AJ opened negotiations with his lowest price right from the get go and that would mean he is stupid.

With a swap of firsts we could get Turner, Simmons or Beason to play LB and a top WR or CB or Brian Leonard. I would love that draft.

A most excellent draft, indeed.

INCREDIBLE!!! They have A 219 page thread on trading this guy

so do we....it is just that on the chargers message board they make all the turner post's be on the one thread.if you go to the titans message board they do the same thing.the turner thread is long ,but there is only one.we have 90 jillion turner threads on our board ,but they are spread out.