More Michael Turner news..........

Michael Turner-RB-Chargers Mar. 30 - 10:03 am et

Chargers GM A.J. Smith admits that there was a lot of activity surrounding Michael Turner at the recent Owners' Meetings.

Smith seems more willing to part with Turner for draft picks than he was originally. Green Bay and Buffalo appear to be the two most interested teams.

Source: North County Times

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

I just read on another board: "Jim Trotter, of the San Diego Union Tribune, is on Cold Pizza and he said Michael Turner skipped voluntary workouts because he and his agent believe a trade will get done. According to Trotter, the two teams most interested are Buffalo and Tennessee."

Michael Turner-RB-Chargers Mar. 30 - 10:03 am et

Chargers GM A.J. Smith admits that there was a lot of activity surrounding Michael Turner at the recent Owners' Meetings.

Smith seems more willing to part with Turner for draft picks than he was originally. Green Bay and Buffalo appear to be the two most interested teams.

Source: North County Times

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Heres a link to the original article: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/03/30...9_403_29_07.txt

and an intersting segment from it:

Smith said there's no urgency on the part of the Chargers to make a deal involving Turner. Smith likes having Turner (502 yards in 2006) as an insurance policy in case of a serious injury to NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson.

"I don't have a timetable," Smith said. "Some of the teams might. They want to know if they have a back. I'm OK. I either have the running back or I have some draft picks."

So Smith is going to play hardball, as a good GM in his position should...if we truly are one of the teams negotiating with him, I hope marv doesn't blink first. I think you have to find that balance before the draft where his value will be coming down. If you pull the trigger too early you don't give yourself flexibility. If you wait too late then you'll be the only team looking for a RB and you'll be giving up entirely too much...

what about this year's second and balitimore's third from next year?? i think i'd be OK with that?? (question marks indicate idk, i feel i would be, i could be proven wrong though)

I'm a Peterson guy all the way though, and would hate to see us give up a lot for Turner and then somehow have Peterson fall to us!! But it might be asking too much to wait until after the draft... If we were the only team biding for Turner at that point we'll have to give up a LOT to get him (although they would be next year's picks at that point) i don't know it's a tough give or take

what about this year's second and balitimore's third from next year?? i think i'd be OK with that?? (question marks indicate idk, i feel i would be, i could be proven wrong though)

I'm a Peterson guy all the way though, and would hate to see us give up a lot for Turner and then somehow have Peterson fall to us!! But it might be asking too much to wait until after the draft... If we were the only team biding for Turner at that point we'll have to give up a LOT to get him (although they would be next year's picks at that point) i don't know it's a tough give or take

If we have Turner and Peterson was to fall to us, then we trade the pick away to get more first day picks. And with more first days picks, we could move back into the first again like last year.

I see the Falcons, Bills, Titans and Green Bay require a starting RB and might draft one in the 1st round or go after Michael Turner.

I hope we don't get into the Turner sweepstakes and keep our draft picks and draft either Peterson or Lynch. Even if we don't get these two guys, I think there is still some good backs in Rd 2. We have lost too many players this off season and we have only the draft left to fill some of these positions with starters.

And the Titans are really stupid to not re-sign Travis Henry. The guy was the reason for them to make that run late in the season.

I see the Falcons, Bills, Titans and Green Bay require a starting RB and might draft one in the 1st round or go after Michael Turner.

I hope we don't get into the Turner sweepstakes and keep our draft picks and draft either Peterson or Lynch. Even if we don't get these two guys, I think there is still some good backs in Rd 2. We have lost too many players this off season and we have only the draft left to fill some of these positions with starters.

And the Titans are really stupid to not re-sign Travis Henry. The guy was the reason for them to make that run late in the season.

I believe Vince Young was the reason.

For future reference, please note: in order to be hip, cool and ESPNish, you must refer to Vince Young not by his name, but rather as V.Y. We would appreciate that every effort be made to glorify him while he is worth glorifying.

Thank you.

The ESPN Hype Machine.

If we have Turner and Peterson was to fall to us, then we trade the pick away to get more first day picks. And with more first days picks, we could move back into the first again like last year.

OH i agree 100% and in the ideal world that would be awesome because we could literally get Turner and then probably the 2nd back from whoever we traded with + so much more. But i would still cring at the thought of passing on Peterson if he was there. I like Turner. But I like Peterson so much more.

Interesting side note: I've been a big proponent of getting a second/third round RB. And if you asked me two weeks ago, I would have defenitley preferred one of them to Turner (or lynch for that matter). I don't deny Turner's potential ability, I would just rather have a 22 year old guy with fresh legs and less wear and tear (and yes i realize Turner has been a back-up and in some cases probably has less wear on him then some of these draft picks, but he's still older and a man's body, especially a runningback's body, begins to break down eventually at a certain age). That said, with more and more question marks coming up with these 2nd tier backs (Bush - leg setback, Hunt - poor pro-day speed - and this coming from a penn state homer who LOVES hunt, so it's fairly objective), I think now I'd prefer Turner if we could get him for our second, or our second and another pick. That way we could take the best LB available in round 1 (Willis or PUz) and be pretty set for glaring needs. I would def. not mind seeing a Willis-Turner or a puz-turner as our 1st and 2nd round picks.

Yes let's trade for Michael Turner. I will give up this year's second thrid and next year's third for a guy with 157 carries in the past three years....c'mon now people, Turner is a glorified backup who is to LT what Kenny Davis was to Thurman. Let's concentrate on finding the next Thurman, not Kenny Davis.

Haven't we all been through this before with Rob Johnson....

That's because the highlights only showed Young. Henry was the workhorse who moved the ball down the field. During the Titans 7 game winning streak Henry averaged 22 carries & 105 yards per game (that's 4.7 yards per carry).

Heres a link to the original article: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/03/30...9_403_29_07.txt

Smith said there's no urgency on the part of the Chargers to make a deal involving Turner. Smith likes having Turner (502 yards in 2006) as an insurance policy in case of a serious injury to NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson.

"I don't have a timetable," Smith said. "Some of the teams might. They want to know if they have a back. I'm OK. I either have the running back or I have some draft picks."

So Smith is going to play hardball, as a good GM in his position should...if we truly are one of the teams negotiating with him, I hope marv doesn't blink first. I think you have to find that balance before the draft where his value will be coming down. If you pull the trigger too early you don't give yourself flexibility. If you wait too late then you'll be the only team looking for a RB and you'll be giving up entirely too much...

Since the Bills pick higher than GB and Tennessee in the draft, I would say that the ball is their court...

AJ can only bull sh*t for so long.

Once the draft passes, he won;t be able to use those draft picks until 2008 - which won;t help him replace Turner in 2007 for their SuperBowl run.

Yes let's trade for Michael Turner. I will give up this year's second thrid and next year's third for a guy with 157 carries in the past three years....c'mon now people, Turner is a glorified backup who is to LT what Kenny Davis was to Thurman. Let's concentrate on finding the next Thurman, not Kenny Davis.

Actually, you're right. How could we not see this. Making one trade a decade ago for a completely dissimilar player under totally disparate circumstances that play other positions and have a vast disparity in histories from unconnected teams in various divisions for a wildly different pricetag virtually assures the exact same result. All Turner trade talk must be banned immediately.

MT = RJ

Surprised he had that many carries behind the best RB in the league. Good thing for KC that they did not have your mentality when they took a flyer on a "gloridied backup", i think Priest Holmes worked out pretty well for them...

It's a gamble and I am not for trading a high draft pick to obtain Turner, but we can't compare every backup to one of the Bills biggest mistakes in RJ....

Why is a rookie running back that we draft in say the second or third round going to be better than Michael Turner, who has already shown he has a lot of ability (albeit in limited action)? You contradict yourself when you say "we have lost too many starters, and we only have our draft left to fill holes. Bringing in Turner would fill a big hole.

We can do two things, wait until the draft and see if A-Pete falls to us, which is somewhat doubtful. If he does not we can try and make some type of reasonable trade for Turner. But if the Bills think Michael Turner is the man, I am all for making the deal now if the price is right. You have to hand it to Marv for trying it to improve the team at every turn.

I do agree that the Titans were very stupid in letting Travis get away. However, he was owed a large bonus at the beginning of March. Some astronomical amount of 8 mill or so. They still could have renegotiated him a fair deal though. They also lost there top two receivers from last year-Bennett and Wade. We will see what King Vince will do with his new supporting cast.