Big News out of Texas

What's the injury status of Domanick Williams? Assuming he has a clean bill of health he'd be a much better option then chris brown

According to the article he just suffered another setback in recovering from knee surgery

You mean, nobody wanted to trade for a QB the Texans don't want and badly wanted to trade so that they could get some sort of value for? Teams actually waited for him to be released so that they could sign him, to a more cap friendly contract in all probability, instead?

Shocking.

I am glad that I am not a fan of the Texans.

They pass up Bush and Young last year and say they are committed to the guys they have.

Almost a year later, they get swindled in a trade for a back up QB who has never won a game. The guy may end up being great, but they sure gave up a lot given what Schaub actually has done on the field.

The next day, they cut Carr and Rhodes/Williams and get zippo in return.

If Carr goes to a team that can actually protect him, I think that he can be pretty darn good. Unfortunately, he has been treated like a punching bag since he has been in the NFL.

I am glad that I am not a fan of the Texans.

They pass up Bush and Young last year and say they are committed to the guys they have.

Almost a year later, they get swindled in a trade for a back up QB who has never won a game. The guy may end up being great, but they sure gave up a lot given what Schaub actually has done on the field.

The next day, they cut Carr and Rhodes/Williams and get zippo in return.

If Carr goes to a team that can actually protect him, I think that he can be pretty darn good. Unfortunately, he has been treated like a punching bag since he has been in the NFL.

Schaub is the 2007 version of RJ.

Carr has gotten the sh-- beat out of him, even this early in his career. The couple of times I've seen him, he's looked gunshy... and lots of guys never recover from that.

You mean, nobody wanted to trade for a QB the Texans don't want and badly wanted to trade so that they could get some sort of value for? Teams actually waited for him to be released so that they could sign him, to a more cap friendly contract in all probability, instead?

Shocking.

In general, it appears really hard to trade a player whom everyone knows is going to be released in the near future because you are done with him. Its one of the reasons why though many Bills' fans advocate trading this player or that player to get some value for him before he hits FA and leaves us with no compensation, it just does not happen this way all the time unless some other team is desperate to get him.

In this case, the Texans were clearly going to get rid of him as they could not afford to keep both Carr and Shaub's contract. If some team was so desperate for a QB (let's say something happened like JP slipping in the shower and breaking his whatis) then you might see a deal, but no team was forced to assume his contract so the good answer was simply to wait.

Even in the case of a player's previous owner likely losing the player to FA as we did with Clements or Fletch its really hard to make a deal because folks doubt you will franchise him just to trade him. It takes a case like WM where at least a team is guaranteed a year to make a move.

It was a pretty rare Bills case when TD put the transition tag on PP and we traded him to AT for a first rounder, it was a convergence of a bunch of specific circumstances:

1. PP was really the only attractive FA receiver on the market

2. Team owner foolishly promised the AT fan base he was going to get a top quality WR for Vick without realizing there simply were not many top quality WRs on the market after teams signed their own.

3. The marketing franchise of the team Micheal Vick would have been PO's ed if AT had settled for a second tier FA WR.

4. PP's hometown was AT and he was on record wanting to go home.

5. PP and TD had a good relationship so that when PP's market ability was restricted by the tag, TD was able to give him assurances he was able to trust for a little time that TD was gonna make the deal to get him a big contract.

If all these factors are there or some equivalents then maybe you can get value for a player, but generally folks are happy to wait until he gets cut.