Big News out of Texas

In general, it appears really hard to trade a player whom everyone knows is going to be released in the near future because you are done with him. Its one of the reasons why though many Bills' fans advocate trading this player or that player to get some value for him before he hits FA and leaves us with no compensation, it just does not happen this way all the time unless some other team is desperate to get him.

In this case, the Texans were clearly going to get rid of him as they could not afford to keep both Carr and Shaub's contract. If some team was so desperate for a QB (let's say something happened like JP slipping in the shower and breaking his whatis) then you might see a deal, but no team was forced to assume his contract so the good answer was simply to wait.

Even in the case of a player's previous owner likely losing the player to FA as we did with Clements or Fletch its really hard to make a deal because folks doubt you will franchise him just to trade him. It takes a case like WM where at least a team is guaranteed a year to make a move.

It was a pretty rare Bills case when TD put the transition tag on PP and we traded him to AT for a first rounder, it was a convergence of a bunch of specific circumstances:

1. PP was really the only attractive FA receiver on the market

2. Team owner foolishly promised the AT fan base he was going to get a top quality WR for Vick without realizing there simply were not many top quality WRs on the market after teams signed their own.

3. The marketing franchise of the team Micheal Vick would have been PO's ed if AT had settled for a second tier FA WR.

4. PP's hometown was AT and he was on record wanting to go home.

5. PP and TD had a good relationship so that when PP's market ability was restricted by the tag, TD was able to give him assurances he was able to trust for a little time that TD was gonna make the deal to get him a big contract.

If all these factors are there or some equivalents then maybe you can get value for a player, but generally folks are happy to wait until he gets cut.

everyone knew carr was going to be cut, hence the reason for no trade. But the PP scenario happens a lot more often that you want to recognize. PP was franchise tagged, not transition tagged, then traded. Same thing happened with John Abraham last year. Franchise tag and trade. It may happen this year with charles grant, asante samuel, or lance briggs.

This is completely different than the carr situation. With carr, everyone knew the texans couldnt/wouldnt keep him, so it was a matter of a waiting game. With respect to the franchise tag, the teams ARE going to keep those players, and hence the need for a trade. Briggs can whine all he wants, but Chicago WILL keep and wont release him, with or without trading him. With carr, he was gone regardless.

Wow...so they got nothing for Carr. So they think Shaub is enough better than Carr to justify two second round picks and downgrading their 1st. Ladies and gentleman the Depressing Houston Texans organization just ensured they will get worse. I wish Shaub the best of luck, but he isn't the answer all by himself and they paid a steep price.

Wow...so they got nothing for Carr. So they think Shaub is enough better than Carr to justify two second round picks and downgrading their 1st. Ladies and gentleman the Depressing Houston Texans organization just ensured they will get worse. I wish Shaub the best of luck, but he isn't the answer all by himself and they paid a steep price.

yes but there defense has some upside, but i do agree there offense imo has gotten 2 times worse. Carr really wasent that horrible i may be wrong and im not looking it up but his passer rating i think was one of the best in the league, they need a run game.

I really don't think Shaub will be much of an upgrade over Carr. David may just land on his feet elsewhere and prove to be quite serviceable. Perhaps like Testaverde...

yes but there defense has some upside, but i do agree there offense imo has gotten 2 times worse. Carr really wasent that horrible i may be wrong and im not looking it up but his passer rating i think was one of the best in the league, they need a run game.

Not necessarily worse (although could be), but definitely not enough better to justify two second round picks and a downgraded first. Remember, those second round picks would still be in uniform and expected to be pretty good players at pretty low salaries in 2010-2011...instead they get nothing. Shaub better be an instant stud (I doubt it...Vick would be the better fit with the line they have...get the heck out of there!), or else this is a trade that will be having a negative impact for years to come...

Schaub can't move. He's a younger version of Bledsoe. And, we Bills fans know how good an offense with a porous OL and an immobile QB can be.

Texans fans should get their life jackets on and jump in the life rafts now. The Titanics are going down fast.