Lead singer from the band Boston found dead

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to what? Vivaldi? Yeah, you win that one.

But if we are comparing Boston to their peers at the time (or even pop music in general), it's far from simplistic in either the style of compositon or production quality.

Simplistic compared to: Genesis (with Peter Gabriel, not Phil Collins), Yes, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Pink Floyd just to name a few off the top of my head. Very few 70's garage bands (which I was heavily involved in at the time) played songs by those groups but everybody did at least one Boston song.

Simplistic compared to: Genesis (with Peter Gabriel, not Phil Collins), Yes, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Pink Floyd just to name a few off the top of my head. Very few 70's garage bands (which I was heavily involved in at the time) played songs by those groups but everybody did at least one Boston song.

But those are prog-rock bands, whose very existence thrives on complex arrangements. I don't think anyone is trying to compare Boston with those bands. I wouldn't lump them in the same peer group. Boston is far more complex than say Nirvana or the Sex Pistols, but I wouldn't even begin to compare as the genre's are so different.

And you might have heard some garage bands do Boston (hell we used to cover "Peace of Mind" when I was in high school in the early 90's) but I'm willing to bet you didn't hear many of them do it well.

But those are prog-rock bands, whose very existence thrives on complex arrangements. I don't think anyone is trying to compare Boston with those bands. I wouldn't lump them in the same peer group. Boston is far more complex than say Nirvana or the Sex Pistols, but I wouldn't even begin to compare as the genre's are so different.

And you might have heard some garage bands do Boston (hell we used to cover "Peace of Mind" when I was in high school in the early 90's) but I'm willing to bet you didn't hear many of them do it well.

Garage bands typically didn't do anything well. That's why we played in a garage. :worthy:

It was Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Another crappy band with a city name. :lol:

The kids haven't figured it out either. Architecture in Helsinki, Of Montreal, Boards of Canada... might be good but cursed by the geographical tagging.

I guess he was really wasn't jokin'...??? :wallbash:

Smokin', smokin'

Were cookin tonight, just keep on tokin'

Smokin, smokin

I feel alright, mamma I'm not jokin', yeah.

Boooo what a bad one on my part! :D:D

As bad as my, "I guess it was more than a feeling" remark? Perhaps. Either way, I'll see you in hell.

For what it's worth, I laughed.