Lead singer from the band Boston found dead

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, were you raised by wolves? Never heard of Boston? :thumbsup:

As much as I would like to poke him with a stick, I envy him. I wish I had been spared the sound stylings of Boston.

As much as I would like to poke him with a stick, I envy him. I wish I had been spared the sound stylings of Boston.

Really? Again, REALLY?

About the classics (rock)... Believe it or not, those stylings were directly influenced by classical, yes, CLASSICAL music...

There was a great radio show about the band... The MIT connection, etc... etc... The interviews were great...

True artists (don't they even hold grad degrees from MIT in Engineering?) somehow bridged the gap compositon wise from classical music into modern guitar rock.

I can't believe some of the responses here. Boston has been one of the great bands of the last 30 years, even though they have only released six albums, one of which is a compilation of greatest hits.

Their debut album is STILL the biggest selling first album in history at 17 million copies. Mariah didn't do that. Whitney didn't do that. None of the glorified lounge singers from "American Idol" have done that. Their music stands the test of time...it is still some of the greatest and most melodic rock music ever made.

Tom Scholz is a perfectionist (not to mention a very, very smart man who holds several patents on guitar equipment design). That's the big reason why Boston averaged six years between releases. That's also why CBS sued the band for breach of contract in the early 80s.

"More Than A Feeling", "Don't Look Back", "Amanda" (their only No. 1 single), "We're Ready", "Long Time"...you always knew when you were listening to a Boston song.

Those of you who do not appreciate their music, I would say rent the CDs from your local library and give them a listen. Boston, IMO, is the closest thing that rock music has had to a classical orchestra, the musical stylings of Jim Steadman notwithstanding. So, ExiledInIllinois is correct on that.

According to their Wikipedia entry, Boston had a new album and a tour this summer in the works. I hope that they go through with both of those in Brad's memory.

RIP, Brad Delp. :(

Boston = Foreigner = Kansas = Styx = Crap (at least there was some talent in Kansas)

I know, I left out a few band. I always called the commercial radio-hit bands with the lame faux-operatic lead singers the "Clone Bands", my brother, the musician of the family, called them the "Semi-fag Bands".

It's always sad when someone dies, but let's not re-write history and pretend the band was great.

Boston = Foreigner = Kansas = Styx = Crap (at least there was some talent in Kansas)

I know, I left out a few band. I always called the commercial radio-hit bands with the lame faux-operatic lead singers the "Clone Bands", my brother, the musician of the family, called them the "Semi-fag Bands".

It's always sad when someone dies, but let's not re-write history and pretend the band was great.

Boston's first album was one of the greatest rock and roll records of all time. It was a groundbreaking achievement and the musicianship was flawless. The other bands you mentioned never came close to approaching the greatness that was Boston's first album.

Make fun of these old "corporate" rock bands all you want, at least they all had an "original" sound. Something of which the recording industry is completely devoid of today. If you want to take pot shots, I suggest you take a look at the current top ten of todays music charts.

As far as Boston being a great "band", it was more of a rock and roll project than a band. They hardly ever toured and their subsequent records never came close to the greatness of that first album.