Possibly losing 4 defensive starters

generaLee83

THIS IS A PIVOTAL SEASON FOR THIS FRANCHISE and a step backwards could be disasterous for their long term future in Western New York!

I don't think the bills record next year will have any impact on their future in WNY. What will impact their future in WNY is the how the revenue sharing is going to end up.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the bills record next year will have any impact on their future in WNY. What will impact their future in WNY is the how the revenue sharing is going to end up.

My point is:

The team is already struggling with attendance (especially toward the end of last season) and a step back (record wise) surely won't help attendance. It will do the opposite.

Clements isn't worth the money he'll get. He is a top 15 corner but probably no better than 12th.
My little mental list has Nate about 4/5th. I'd very much enjoy seeing somebody make a list that had 11 corners better than Clements on it. :lol:

Youboty, Thomas, and McGee will be fine.

How on the planet Earth could anybody have watched KThomas stink up the joint, Youboty spend the season as a healthy scratch and McGee get pigeoned so bad he got benched, then actually say that these guys will be fine?

Wow :(

Milloy and Vincent were well past their prime anyway and Posey was a big bust.

Adams wasn't a fit here.

They won't be 'OK" this year due to the well documented off-season FA approach and the fact they will be facing a much tougher schedule in 07.

IF the Bills go 6-10 next season, consider it a good year!

The sad thing is many will.

It's been such a long time since the Bills were really good it seems many have forgot how it felt. They're willing to settle for the scraps fed them these days. There was a time where Bills Nation had some real Balz and wouldn't settle for this mediocre crap.

One could only image what would have happen back in 1995 if the late John Butler would have stepped out in front of the media and starting spouting the 'Cash to Cap' crap. A once proud Bills Nation would have burned that stadium to the ground.

Heart? Pride? Balz? Where did it all go?

Where have you gone Bill Polian. A Bills Nation turns it lonely eyes to you.

The sad thing is many will.

It's been such a long time since the Bills were really good it seems many have forgot how it felt. They're willing to settle for the scraps fed them these days. There was a time where Bills Nation had some real Balz and wouldn't settle for this mediocre crap.

One could only image what would have happen back in 1995 if the late John Butler would have stepped out in front of the media and starting spouting the 'Cash to Cap' crap. A once proud Bills Nation would have burned that stadium to the ground.

Heart? Pride? Balz? Where did it all go?

Where have you gone Bill Polian. A Bills Nation turns it lonely eyes to you.

Of course Bills fans would have burned it to the ground, they were just coming off of a streak of 4 straight Super Bowl appearances.

Right now the team is rebuilding and trying to make a team that will be competitive for years to come (like NE, Indy, etc.) Unfortunately everyone wants results now, which is what TD tried doing, Build a team that wins now, and mortgages the future. People aren't settling for mediocre, some are looking at what was accomplished and see signs that the future is getting brighter, unlike most who look at the W/L column and say 7-9, thats less then .500 and not in the playoffs, they suck!

Heart, Pride, its all stuff marv is trying to bring back to the organisation after it was removed while TD was in charge

As for Polian, it took him how long to build a Colts team that finally won it all?

Amen

Let's look at the bright sign. We actually have a QB that will be around for a while. We have a true Speed Threat Receiver. We have a left takle. We have a x factor in Parrish. We need a high character RB. We need offensive line help. Which is on its way. We are giving three starters away to help us grow 7 starters. We are on a uphill climb with a GM that has pacience. We as fans need to trust Marv and his guys to bring us a dynasty. It will happen, just not next year..

Let's not take things to extremes. If we don't see the playoffs this year, is that acceptable as long as you believe the team remains in the process of building for the future? I'm just asking there, because I'd like to know what people think. IMO, seven years missing the post-season is a long time, especially in today's NFL. That groups us with the likes of Detroit and Arizona.

I for one figured they'd be 5-11, 6-10 in 2006. They went 7-9. OK, fine as I figured they should get a pass in 06 because they changed GM's, almost the entire coaching staff, and had a question mark at QB. Taking those things into perspective, 7-9 isn't bad. They were rebuilding from a 5 year span that produced very little.

I can understand building through the draft and not spending big money on bad and/or over-hyped free agents. Mortgaging the future with signing bonuese may only give you only a 2-3 year window to win, but being a playoff team 2 out of every 4 years is better than saying we're rebuilding every year.

Yes, the problem is that the former GM tried to win know with not building a foundations. We have what looks to be a foundation starting. Once we have the foundation it becomes easier to build. IMO a foundation is

1. A QB that will be around for a long time

2. Great #1 receiver

3. Above average or better RB

4. A above Average line on both sides

Lets review the four we are losing.

1) London. Marv called him out for not being an attacking MLB. Sounds like Marv has a plan to replace London. I expect to be better at this position.

2) TKO. Marv kind of called out TKO as well. Saying we will review if he can coume back to his former self. Saying that he was sub-par last year and probably wont be back. Sounds like he has a plan here as well. I expect an improvment.

3) Kelsay. He was getting pushed around alot last year. I don't remeber him being an impact player. He should be replaceable.

4) Clements - Was lights out last year. But it was a contract year and Nate magically found another gear. Once he gets his check, he will be back to his old tricks of just enough to get by. Nothing spectacular. Give me a hungry rookie and we will have similar production.

Summary, Marv has it under control. We will be better next year.

I completely agree. BTW, is 'Heater in Buffalo' the opposite of Fan in San Diego? :lol:

Of course Bills fans would have burned it to the ground, they were just coming off of a streak of 4 straight Super Bowl appearances.

Right now the team is rebuilding and trying to make a team that will be competitive for years to come (like NE, Indy, etc.) Unfortunately everyone wants results now, which is what TD tried doing, Build a team that wins now, and mortgages the future. People aren't settling for mediocre, some are looking at what was accomplished and see signs that the future is getting brighter, unlike most who look at the W/L column and say 7-9, thats less then .500 and not in the playoffs, they suck!

Heart, Pride, its all stuff marv is trying to bring back to the organisation after it was removed while TD was in charge

As for Polian, it took him how long to build a Colts team that finally won it all?

Let's not forget it took Polian his second season with an expansion team to get to the NFC title game. In his 9 seasons with the Colts he has had only two losing seasons. What is that 8 playoff seasons in 12 years?

Which proves how hard it is to win it all no matter how good you are. Having someone over their head at the GM position doesn't make the Bills the Colts or the Pats. They both have strong a GM who I will guess knows what the franchise tag is and how the salary cap works. I may be going out on a limb on this one. I still bet they know.

And please. Enough of the "he's the Football GM". History lesson folks. Marv was forced out of the game because it passed him by about 10 years ago. Sitting around playing shuffle board with Ralph or doing color for the Bears pre-season games hasn't caught him up at all. He's even further removed from today's NFL and Friday was a sad reminder of how far removed he is.

My point is:

The team is already struggling with attendance (especially toward the end of last season) and a step back (record wise) surely won't help attendance. It will do the opposite.

Actually, we were 19th out of 32, which doesn't sound too terrible. Some of that is stadium dependent, and we have a nice big stadium (so more room to increase attendance as people get excited about an improving team). But attendance largely is a reflection of the PREVIOUS year (other than serious playoff buzz), which is why we were 9th in 2005 with a miserable 5-11 aging team, and were 19th in 2006 with a fun exciting, nail biting loses 7-9 team.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very important year to take another step forward and not plateau or fall back. But that's because we are building a winning franchise that will be run right and compete year in year out. If you can't improve in year two of a system with more players coming in and your young players getting better than something is wrong.

As for Nate being the 12th best corner, I think he is clearly better than that. But even if he were #1, I don't think we can afford him and I think resigning him at open market prices (meaning more than the craziest overspending GM, since he isn't going to sign at a discount) would hurt this team. He is gone, let's get over it and get ready for Ashton, McGee, KT (I hope), Greer, and whoever else we might add this off season. We will probably be weaker at the CB position but better at: safeties, LB, D-Line, O-Line, QB, RB, WR. Sounds like a better team to me.

Those guys were too old/dead weight. You could maybe argue the same is true for Fletcher and even Spikes, but it's definitely not the case for Clements or even Kelsay.

While I agree about Clements I think we could live with the loss of Kelsay......Denny is a virtual clone of Kelsay and really outplayed him at times this past year....perhaps because of the change in scheme.....Hargrove is a quality backup.....

To me the whole thing is about stopping the run.....we must fix THAT leaking sive if we are to do anything.......this has to be a priority

:thumbsup: I would be suprised if Clements was ranked lower than #5 on the leagues top CB lists. 12th ... thats just. Wow. :lol:

You got that right, after free agency I would bet that Clements deal matches Champ Bailey's or slightly exceeds it.

Clements is most certainly top 5 in my opinion when he is giving 100% effort.

Listen...

At the end of the day the Bills are going to make a huge push for Cato June. This guy is unreal and 27. He is a younger version of London. Kelsay was replaced with Hargrove already. At CB the Bills will use their 1st round pick and it could be a bit of a downgrade. They also have Youboty coming in and he may or may not do something. The Bills also have McCargo coming back and who know what he provides. Last I checked Spikes has not been released so lets not go and jump off the bridge yet with him. I bet he is on this team Opening Day and if he stays healthy great if not he will be a Vincent like victim....

What thay leaves is money for 1 offensive lineman and an upgrade at the 2nd WR spot.

It is year two of this coaching staff and year 3 of the JP Losman experiment....

How are we worse off again??

Cato June sucks. I've seen him play many times. Reminds me of Keith Newman.

1 Bailey

2 Barber

3 Gamble

4 Samuels

5 D. Hall

6 D. O'neal

7 McAlister

8 Springs

9 Surtian

10 Sheppard

11 Law

12 Newman

13/14 Harper

14/13 Clements

15 McKenzie

Any of the guys above Harper would be an instant upgrade over NC and if you dont think so then you dont know football.

Barber, Gamble, Springs? Newman, Harper? You are living in some other world my friend. I think it is you, that does'nt know football. What a ridiculous list and statement.

Other teams are in the same boat year after year, but muddle through. Life with free agency...

It doesn't help that 2 of the players being lost are 2 of the top 3 players on defense though. You can't lose your best players and expect to improve.