Interesting or funny bar names...

Phlegm Alley

...best one I've ever seen was called "He's Not Here" in Chapel Hill, NC.

Another good one (if you love dive bars) was called "The Bad and Dirty" in my hometown in upstate NY. Believe me, it truly lived up to its name.

My question for fellow TBDers is, have you come across any amusing bar names and where are they located?

Back in late '80s, I hung out at a Somerville, Mass. bar called the "Chapter 11." Think it was down on Mass Avenue. It was filled with a library of old civil code lawbooks you could pull down and read while enjoying your Sam Adams and chips & salsa. Fun times!!!!

Maybe these are in several places, but a couple of my favorites that are somewhat divey.

"Tune Inn" on Penn. Ave on capital hill.

The "The Duck Inn" in Va Beach, far away from the tourist area, but right on the bay.

Who doesn't want a bit of "Elbo Room" in Ft Laurderdale. Anybody else mid forties remember the quarter beers at morning happy hour here? Good times there

there is/was an elbow room in han(g)over square in downtown syracuse...good times...good times

Maybe these are in several places, but a couple of my favorites that are somewhat divey.

"Tune Inn" on Penn. Ave on capital hill.

The "The Duck Inn" in Va Beach, far away from the tourist area, but right on the bay.

Who doesn't want a bit of "Elbo Room" in Ft Laurderdale. Anybody else mid forties remember the quarter beers at morning happy hour here? Good times there

My friend called me Saturday around 1 PM: "Yo, let me pitch you on this idea. DAY DRINKING!" We were at the Elbo Room by 2:30. It gets a little fuzzy after that.

Dennis Miller once joked, "I was at a lesbian bar last night called 'The No Fly Zone'."

:thumbsup:

there is/was an elbow room in han(g)over square in downtown syracuse...good times...good times

There's an Elbow Room in Depew, used to throw darts there. Appropriately named!!

I believe it's closed now but "The Big Nasty" in Chicago was a blast. Went there for a Bills game a few years back. We pull up Illinois St (i think) in a cab between a beautiful wood finished sports bar and a run down building with flames painted on the side. Of course we choose the The Big Nasty!! It was a crazy time and one of the best roadies ever.

About 10 years ago, my Grandfather once took my father and I out for some boozing amongst the men in the family during the holiday season around the greater Batavia region. I was a young chap, still wet behind the ears at the ripe old age of 18 years old and I think my grandfather thought that the drinking age was still 18. Either that or he just didn't care and wanted to take his grandson out to his favorite watering holes, the ones that he was genuinely proud of being a part of.

Of course we hit up the VFW, the Eagles, The Elks, Polish Falcons, etc., drinking $1 Heinekens and eating $2.00 turkey dinners when we were supposed to be out "looking" for a Christmas tree. We ended up at this bar called "The Skunkhole" and I thought it was the most brilliant name for a bar and it contained toothless women smoking Mistys while drinking a mug of Genny Cream Ale. Good times at good times.

Could any of you current WNY'ers corroborate the existence of this beautiful haven of alcohol abuse? If it is still there, I would love to make a pilgrimmage up there to pay homage to my late Grandfather.

I watched the Houston comeback game there...great place, may have to go there for lunch this week.

Sadly, both the owners and Natty 'Bo on tap, are gone.

from esquire.

Tune Inn’s family of drinkers takes it personally when Esquire magazine describes the bar this way: “You’re having: A ten-dollar pitcher of Miller with a burger. The mounted deer heads on the wall make this dive interesting. The deer asses make it great.”

Esquire named the Tune Inn, on Pennsylvania Avenue S.E., one of the best bars in America in a June feature titled “From Alaska to Brooklyn, a coast-to-coast tour of our favorite lounges, taverns, and dives.”

BTW Ned, do you live on the hill? If so, is there still a place open across the street the from the Eastern Market by the name of Tunnicliffs. Spent many a night closing that place down from bout 87-94. If so, do you go in?

ten dollar pitchers of miller????? for a dive bar??? shouldn't a pitcher of miller be in the 6-7 dollar range????? Tops!!

from esquire.

BTW Ned, do you live on the hill? If so, is there still a place open across the street the from the Eastern Market by the name of Tunnicliffs. Spent many a night closing that place down from bout 87-94. If so, do you go in?

My friend called me Saturday around 1 PM: "Yo, let me pitch you on this idea. DAY DRINKING!" We were at the Elbo Room by 2:30. It gets a little fuzzy after that.

Dennis Miller once joked, "I was at a lesbian bar last night called 'The No Fly Zone'."

:lol:

Atta boy. Teeling you, for two spring breaks in a row, our days started at the Elbo Room, where the price got higher as the day got longer. Pretty sure it was a quarter for a draft from 6-10, then 50 cents till noon, then I don't remember cause we be on the beach drinking :thumbsup:

from esquire.

Tunnicliff's is still there I believe...the Eastern Market area has really built up the last several years...lots of new bars, restaurants, etc.

There is a bar in Bellmore, Long Island, changed names numerous times, the last owner had named it after his dad, so the monograms on the awning and windows were "BC". The place has always lost money so the bartender who had been running the place for the last few years bought it. He never bothered to change the monograms, just the name of the bar...The Bearded Clam, I think they sell more t shirts than draft beers.

In Rochester there was a place called "The Office" which was a nice name...I'm going to spend a few more hours at the office....where were you last night...got stuck at the office.

Was that the one accross Kodak Park on Dewey Avenue...just down a bit form the California Brew House? If so, I think I remember the joint being called "My Office." But the same jokes apply! :wallbash:

Douobt if your old enough to remember the Roxbury Inn...

I remember the Rox fondly...their big special was a "Bucket of Rox," six Rolling Rock splits...for some ungodly price like $1.50.

The Rox was always THE place for last call...EVERY night of the week. Good pool table too.