I still don't like the Whitner and McCargo picks

.....I'm just basing my expectations on the quality of players we got vs the quality of players I thought we could get......

That's ignoring reality. What you...or I....or Marv....or anyone thinks about how a player will pan out has no baring on how they actually do pan out.

Reality = Expect 50% of all 1st round picks to be total BUSTS.

If one is grading/rating/assessing a draft.....which is what you/we are doing here......you simply HAVE to compare it to the rest of the league. Is it logical/reasonable for me to expect instant pro-bowlers from every draft pick? Of course not. What is logical/reasonable to do is to figure out what occurs on average to an teams draft selections......compare yours to that......& if it is above the average, assess it as so.

Our 2007 draft was weeeeell above the average draft for the NFL.

Whitner performed weeeeell above the average for a 1st round rookie.....& a top 10 rookie.

If you wish to base your expectations on your arbitrary perceptions......at least acknowledge that the standards you are basing things upon are far higher than you place upon every other team in the NFL.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wish to base your expectations on your arbitrary perceptions......at least acknowledge that the standards you are basing things upon are far higher than you place upon every other team in the NFL.

My perceptions aren't arbitrary; they're based on how good I think a particular player is and will be. Is there any other thing to possibly base a perception upon?

And I think I make a concerted effort to hold the Bills to the exact same standard I hold other teams (i.e. I'm about the only one who refuses to give the Bills sh-- for the '02 draft because nobody else(except maybe Carolina(whose pick we should have had)) did anything either). And this year I think the Bills did a relatively poor job and I think I could find multiple teams who did better with what they had to work with.

If one is grading/rating/assessing a draft.....which is what you/we are doing here......you simply HAVE to compare it to the rest of the league.

That's fair. But I think many fans saw Whitner as a low risk/low reward proposition--sort of like putting your money in a savings account. There wasn't much potential for disaster, but neither was there much potential for greatness.

On the other hand, many first round players are more like small cap stocks. Sure, there's the chance you'll get hurt on any one stock you buy. But you have to weigh that against the fact that other small cap stocks will have a very high level of return.

Take quarterback for example. A few years back, Indianapolis took Peyton Manning; and San Diego took Ryan Leaf. Let's say Peyton Manning is worth 500 points, and Ryan Leaf is worth 0. Donte Whitner is worth 100 points, maybe 125. Whitner may be an above-median player considering his draft slot. But being above-median doesn't make him above average.

That's ignoring reality. What you...or I....or Marv....or anyone thinks about how a player will pan out has no baring on how they actually do pan out.

If one is grading/rating/assessing a draft.....which is what you/we are doing here......you simply HAVE to compare it to the rest of the league. Is it logical/reasonable for me to expect instant pro-bowlers from every draft pick? Of course not. What is logical/reasonable to do is to figure out what occurs on average to an teams draft selections......compare yours to that......& if it is above the average, assess it as so.

Our 2007 draft was weeeeell above the average draft for the NFL.

Whitner performed weeeeell above the average for a 1st round rookie.....& a top 10 rookie.

By drafting a safety that high being elite or not is the difference between being a bad decision or a good one. Whitner should be judged in the context of the elite safeties because he was drafted in a position before most of the elite safeties. I'm not exactly giving kudos to Marv for finding what looks to be a very good safety in the top 10 until that safety turns into an elite one. I especially won't when we could have had Ngata, and I'm not saying such in hindsight. I started the draft Haloti Ngata bandwagon about 4 months before April and half the wall was on board.

My perceptions aren't arbitrary; they're based on how good I think a particular player is and will be. Is there any other thing to possibly base a perception upon?

And I think I make a concerted effort to hold the Bills to the exact same standard I hold other teams (i.e. I'm about the only one who refuses to give the Bills sh-- for the '02 draft because nobody else(except maybe Carolina(whose pick we should have had)) did anything either). And this year I think the Bills did a relatively poor job and I think I could find multiple teams who did better with what they had to work with.

My perceptions were/are similar to yours in regards to expectation of talent level of players.....we have had....however....1 year of results.....and as time goes on, our expectations will...or won't be backed up. As history shows, around half of those can't miss top 5-6 players that you/me/everyone expects to be champion players will be busts. Therefore, if Whitner is looking like a near-certain 'good player', that(at this point) is showing to be greater than any perceived possible potential of others.

You need to find around 50% of teams who did better with what they had to work with to justify a stance that we had a poor draft.

:blush:

*keep in mind, I would prefer not to assess things after 1 year....but it was raised....and was claimed that we had a bad draft....in particular Whitner*

When looking at how our rookies performed after 1 year.....& comparing them to not only every team this year......& the average performances throughout history.....and in particular teams in the top 10.....and in particular the individual performance of our top pick.....I can see no logical justification for saying that our draft(at this point) looks even minimally average...let alone below average or bad.

"I reckon we should have done better." ;)

Compare it to what is there.....not what you figure will be there. That was for post draft assessment. This is now '1 year later' assessment.

That's fair. But I think many fans saw Whitner as a low risk/low reward proposition--sort of like putting your money in a savings account. There wasn't much potential for disaster, but neither was there much potential for greatness.

I don't know about the little potential for greatness....but....essentially that is exactly correct.

Let me ask you....would you prefer a player who has say.....

50% of bust with 20% chance of star....

or....

25% chance of bust with 10% chance of star?

Did anyone really want another M.Williams, E.Flowers, A.Smith, or hell WM?

In the end, we are pretty sure we have a 'very good' player in Whitner. I'd say there are only a handful or so teams who feel as confident as us that their 1st pick will not be a bust.

But no....I must be wrong. Aaaaall the other 1st rounders who didn't have as good rookie seasons as Whitner are better picks because they have 'potential'.

We'll never know if Whitner can be compared to the other elite safeties in the game - UNTIL THE FRONT SEVEN VASTLY IMPROVES THEIR PLAY.

Taylor was nowhere near the player he was even last year because the Skins front seven went from pretty good to pretty average.

FWIW, the guy I wanted was Vernon Davis as well. I knew we weren't going to get him.

I don't know about the little potential for greatness....but....essentially that is exactly correct.

Let me ask you....would you prefer a player who has say.....

50% of bust with 20% chance of star....

or....

25% chance of bust with 10% chance of star?

Let's say a great player--a difference maker--is worth 500 points. A competent player is only worth 100 points, because he's not going to be that much of an improvement over the Melvin Fowler or Matt Bowen you could have signed in free agency. Now I'll do the math:

Option 1, expected value: (50% * 0) + (20% * 500) + (30% * 100) = 130 + second round pick

Option 2, expected value: (25% * 0) + (10% * 500) + (65% * 100) = 115

Time will tell how many of the players in the top 15 or top 20 of that draft will have become elite difference makers. 20% seems a little low, so let's rerun the numbers assuming 35% of those players become difference makers:

Option 1, expected value: (50% * 0) + (35% * 500) + (15% * 100) = 190 + second round pick

Let's say a great player--a difference maker--is worth 500 points. A competent player is only worth 100 points, because he's not going to be that much of an improvement over the Melvin Fowler or Matt Bowen you could have signed in free agency. Now I'll do the math:

Option 1, expected value: (50% * 0) + (20% * 500) + (30% * 100) = 130 + second round pick

Time will tell how many of the players in the top 15 or top 20 of that draft will have become elite difference makers. 20% seems a little low, so let's rerun the numbers assuming 35% of those players become difference makers:

Option 1, expected value: (50% * 0) + (35% * 500) + (15% * 100) = 190 + second round pick

Oh, please.

1st off, who is this 500 point player we could have traded down to get & gotten a 2nd round pick as well? N'Gata? I'm am certain that this entire argument is based upon us not selecting him. If we traded down, the 20% for star potential should reduce also.

I don't agree with your numbers. What about the difference between star & starter?

On a sliding scale that would look like......

Option 1, expected value: (50% * 0) + (20% * 500) + (8% * 100) + (7% * 200) + (8% * 300) + (7% * 400) = 158

Option 2, expected value: (25% * 0) + (10% * 500) + (20% * 100) + (17% * 200) + (16% * 300) + (12% * 400) = 200

Whitner looks like about a 350 at this point wouldn't you say?

Based on his rookie performance & his own potential.

It's amazing how one can make arbitrary numbers look meaningful.

I'm not against gamble picks. I prefer safer picks when we have very few 'good' players. We were not in the position to end up with another 1st round bust.

In the end, the argument is about how he is compared to his peers(present & past) & he is well, well, well, above the average(at this point).

Whitner looks like about a 350 at this point wouldn't you say?

No.

Suppose the Bills call up Bill Polian, and ask to trade for Peyton Manning. We begin by offering Whitner. Do you think we'd be more than halfway toward offering them enough value for Polian to make the trade? I don't.

On the other hand, I have to admit the sliding scale you used is better than the three category scale I'd used earlier. Maybe I'm downplaying Whitner because I don't see SS as being as important a position as some others on the field. Or maybe it's that I was really high on the Mangold option (both before and after the draft), and now it turns out Mangold is already among the league's best centers. It would have been so nice to finally have a replacement for Kent Hull (plus that second rounder). Instead we have a SS who looks like he'll be a solid starter, but nothing special.

When I see Whitner, I see a glass that is a) half-empty, and b) could easily have been full. You seem to see Whitner as a glass that's a) half-full, and b) could easily have been empty.

I think that if you have the #8 overall pick, and very few difference makers on the team, you need to at least try to come away with more than just a glass that's half full.

i'm reminded to the movie "a beautiful mind" with russell crowe. he spends a fair amount of scribbling complex equations on the blackboard, wall, window, door frame and so on. he also speaks to people who aren't really there. h.a.---are there people there with you now? can other people see them? if not--don't despair. the movie is ultimately a story of hope and triumph, and he scores a pretty nice looking wife. downside---before the hope and triumph, he takes a spin in a straightjacket to get his wits about him. it's not so bad, i'm sure.

i assume the brain trust assessed needs of the organization and the multiple layers of need on the team they inherited. i can only assume they felt the best place to start the rebuilding was with a strong candidate on the defensive side of the ball. in retrospect, they got a gamer who delivered. ngata plays on a substantially better defensive unit than the Bills have/had, perhaps in part due to his contributions. on the other hand, perhaps--and likely we'd agree---the level of his game is raised by those around him. regardless, he was there and the bills opted to go a different direction and there really are only two logical options on what they were thinking:

a. he was a better fit for our defense at this time;

2. they thought ngata was not as good a fit or perhaps would not fit the scheme we're looking to play (not the right guy/character issues/takes plays off/whatever...)

defense seems like a logical place to start, although the Good Lord In Heaven knows that the o-line could have fit for the Bills just as well. Mangold? He appears like he'll be a great player in the league. there are other potentially great players in the draft as well that were taken after the DW pick. Conventional wisdom suggests that you follow the status quo--picking position-players at the normal range they typically go for in the draft. but, if you always do what you always did, you often get what you always got. I like the balls they exhibited in going the direction they felt. Good for them. And if they fail, I'll grab the tar---someone grab the feathers. Such is life in the NFL.

last, i don't think anyone anticipated draft number 1 was going to solve the problems of this team. and, it didn't. but, the trend is going in the right direction, and being a realist---you don't need specifically ngata or mangold or anyone else to go to the playoffs and beyond. ultimately, the question boils down not to the 2006 draft, but the collective efforts of multiple drafts and free agency acquisitions, plus effective coaching and disciplined play. toss in there some common sense decision-making on who to keep and who to let walk---let's use pat williams as an example---and it boils down to the system you employ, and finding the correct players to fill the positions. i think too often, specific names are tossed about as the next best answer for a team, when there ae other options available. coaching wins championships. let's hope our is able to do so.

i'm reminded to the movie "a beautiful mind" with russell crowe. he spends a fair amount of scribbling complex equations on the blackboard, wall, window, door frame and so on. he also speaks to people who aren't really there. h.a.---are there people there with you now? can other people see them? if not--don't despair. the movie is ultimately a story of hope and triumph, and he scores a pretty nice looking wife. downside---before the hope and triumph, he takes a spin in a straightjacket to get his wits about him. it's not so bad, i'm sure.

That's some pretty funny imagery. Hmmm . . . I'm trying to imagine myself as a brilliant but eccentric (and somewhat psychotic) mathematical genius like John Nash. I assure you there's a big difference between what John Nash did (which was amazing) and what I did in that post (which is fairly common). Let's say someone offered you $1.00 if a coin came up heads, but nothing if it came up tails. The expected value of that coin flip is (50% * $1.00) + (50% * $0.00) = $0.50. Nothing brilliant there, and that's all I did in that earlier post.

The way I figure things, the Bills really need to win the Super Bowl. To do that, all your starters need to be solid football players. But a few of them here and there need to be more than solid--they need to be bona fide difference makers. I'll give Marv credit for doing an exceptional job of finding solid football players on the second day of the draft. But I think he could have done more to find real difference makers on the first day. Maybe a few years from now it will turn out that the Whitners and McCargos of this draft really are Pro Bowl material, or nearly so. But right now things seem a little disappointing.

You don't trust the team then. Whitner and McCargo were great picks. Do you have something against Whitner, because from what I saw this year, HE WAS GREAT!

For what it's worth, Sportsline has Whitner rated as the 148th best DB in the NFL. Interestingly, Ko Simpson was the 63rd best DB (according to them), and Nate Clements the 18th best DB. But what's really, really frustrating is the #2 DB on that list. :bag:

No.

Suppose the Bills call up Bill Polian, and ask to trade for Peyton Manning. We begin by offering Whitner. Do you think we'd be more than halfway toward offering them enough value for Polian to make the trade? I don't.

On the other hand, I have to admit the sliding scale you used is better than the three category scale I'd used earlier. Maybe I'm downplaying Whitner because I don't see SS as being as important a position as some others on the field. Or maybe it's that I was really high on the Mangold option (both before and after the draft), and now it turns out Mangold is already among the league's best centers. It would have been so nice to finally have a replacement for Kent Hull (plus that second rounder). Instead we have a SS who looks like he'll be a solid starter, but nothing special.

When I see Whitner, I see a glass that is a) half-empty, and b) could easily have been full. You seem to see Whitner as a glass that's a) half-full, and b) could easily have been empty.

I think that if you have the #8 overall pick, and very few difference makers on the team, you need to at least try to come away with more than just a glass that's half full.

Do you think you'd be half way for a Manning trade with any of the top 10 picks??? :bag:

Unlike 80% of the 1st round.....including most of the top 10, Whitner looks like he certainly will be a 'very good'(minimally) player.

That means......at this point he is looking like one of the BEST 1st round picks.

I am speaking English here aren't I?

OK, this is my last post on the topic(for now :D ).

I give up(not just with you HA....all of this has got me feeling 0:) )

Why do so many people seem to think that.....

the higher the draft pick, the better the player will be???????????

That is totally incorrect.

The higher the draft pick (theoretically) the higher the chance that you draft a top calibre player.

Brady, Favre, Barber, Portis, Alexander, Gates, Moss, Marvin Harrison, Owens, Chad Johnson, Jason Taylor, Strahan, Ray Lewis,Ed Reed, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

Position taken in the draft does not seem to effect the upper potential of the draft picks. The only position I can see that pretty much requires it's upper echelon to be drafted in the top 10 is OT. Every other position has HOFers coming from all over the draft. To assume that Whitner will have little upside is going against the odds. Whitner has shown he is one of the best 1st round picks(in Bills history....look it up) after 1 year. With such a good rookie year, you'd think there would be a higher chance....not a lower chance....that he improves to be a play-maker.

Lets say....for the sake of argument....that both N'Gata & Mangold had better rookie seasons than Whitner & will both become HOFers whereas Whitner will be a solid 'very good' player.

SO WHAT??????

So the Bills draft wasn't THE ABSOLUTE BEST it could possibly be. The draft we did have....as opposed to the hypothetical BEST draft we could have.....was (at this point) one of the best in Bills history & one of the best league wide.

My problem is that people are basically saying.....

"Since it wasn't the BEST, it was garbage."

My other problem is the same argument but with Whitner as an individual.

"Since he wasn't the BEST, the selection is garbage."

I shake my head in astonishment.

That's some pretty funny imagery. Hmmm . . . I'm trying to imagine myself as a brilliant but eccentric (and somewhat psychotic) mathematical genius like John Nash. I assure you there's a big difference between what John Nash did (which was amazing) and what I did in that post (which is fairly common). Let's say someone offered you $1.00 if a coin came up heads, but nothing if it came up tails. The expected value of that coin flip is (50% * $1.00) + (50% * $0.00) = $0.50. Nothing brilliant there, and that's all I did in that earlier post.

The way I figure things, the Bills really need to win the Super Bowl. To do that, all your starters need to be solid football players. But a few of them here and there need to be more than solid--they need to be bona fide difference makers. I'll give Marv credit for doing an exceptional job of finding solid football players on the second day of the draft. But I think he could have done more to find real difference makers on the first day. Maybe a few years from now it will turn out that the Whitners and McCargos of this draft really are Pro Bowl material, or nearly so. But right now things seem a little disappointing.

you're a good sport, as i recall from prior posts. i followed the math, and i follow your point. here's my take on it. flip the coin 1000 times, and the law of large numbers dictates a certain likelihood that it will come up X times on heads and Y times on tails. but to find out what actually happens in your 1000 coin tosses, you have to have a system to flip the coin. if you get the coin to flip end over end some random number of times from when it leaves your thumb until it hits the table, you'll get your result whether you use your left hand or your right. but--with no system for flipping the coin, you have a 100% probability of failing to get the result. i just reread this and think i made my point...you can decide.

using the coin flip analogy, i'll spot you that, say, ngata (or whomever) might eventually be a difference maker and dw/jm may not (at least to the level i think you're talking about). i assume you'll spot me the same. the problem i always have with the theoretical for any player is that the outcome is difficult to predict if you're not running the same systems with the same level of talent around you. in most cases---all other things being equal---things are not equal.

but, if marv and dj have a sound system in place to identify talent and build a disciplined team, i'll take that over any particular player. r. seymour is a good example---a difference-maker on a team where he's been out quite a bit---but other members in the system step up to take his place.

i respect your opinion and i had profound moments of disappointment this year myself. i closed the year out thinking we were going in the right direction, but next year is a whole new year. it was nice to see, however, romo blow the hold in dallas and miami in shambles. now, if new england gets knocked out, it's as good a situation as i feel we can be in assuming we're not in the mix for the SB.

For what it's worth, Sportsline has Whitner rated as the 148th best DB in the NFL. Interestingly, Ko Simpson was the 63rd best DB (according to them), and Nate Clements the 18th best DB. But what's really, really frustrating is the #2 DB on that list. :bag:

OK...I lied. 1 more. Well mainly addressing their list.

I'm near certain that the list is put together by a bunch of their staffs "I reckon" oppinion & has nothing at all to do with stats. Often there are players with.....say....more ints, sacks, tackles, FF, & FR but are lower on the list than somebody who has less.

Their rankings are at best a joke & at worst a con.

4 starting DBs

32 teams

That is 128 starting DBs

They are saying that 19 backups & every single starting DB in the league is better than Whitner. 0:)

Again......I feel this is pointless.

Why am I having to put forward an argument to soooo many that Whitner has performed exceptionally well for a rookie....of any possition....from any numbered selection.....in any year.

I don't understand.

Do you think you'd be half way for a Manning trade with any of the top 10 picks??? :bag:

Unlike 80% of the 1st round.....including most of the top 10, Whitner looks like he certainly will be a 'very good'(minimally) player.

That means......at this point he is looking like one of the BEST 1st round picks.

I am speaking English here aren't I?

OK, this is my last post on the topic(for now:)).

I give up(not just with you HA....all of this has got me feeling 0:) )

Why do so many people seem to think that.....

the higher the draft pick, the better the player will be???????????

That is totally incorrect.

The higher the draft pick (theoretically) the higher the chance that you draft a top calibre player.

Brady, Favre, Barber, Portis, Alexander, Gates, Moss, Marvin Harrison, Owens, Chad Johnson, Jason Taylor, Strahan, Ray Lewis,Ed Reed, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

Position taken in the draft does not seem to effect the upper potential of the draft picks. The only position I can see that pretty much requires it's upper echelon to be drafted in the top 10 is OT. Every other position has HOFers coming from all over the draft. To assume that Whitner will have little upside is going against the odds. Whitner has shown he is one of the best 1st round picks(in Bills history....look it up) after 1 year. With such a good rookie year, you'd think there would be a higher chance....not a lower chance....that he improves to be a play-maker.

Lets say....for the sake of argument....that both N'Gata & Mangold had better rookie seasons than Whitner & will both become HOFers whereas Whitner will be a solid 'very good' player.

SO WHAT??????

So the Bills draft wasn't THE ABSOLUTE BEST it could possibly be. The draft we did have....as opposed to the hypothetical BEST draft we could have.....was (at this point) one of the best in Bills history & one of the best league wide.

My problem is that people are basically saying.....

"Since it wasn't the BEST, it was garbage."

My other problem is the same argument but with Whitner as an individual.

"Since he wasn't the BEST, the selection is garbage."

I shake my head in astonishment.

Hey, maybe Whitner will elevate his play to an Ed Reed level. I really hope you're right to imply there's a good chance of this. But Whitner almost has to be the next Ed Reed--or pretty close--to justify that kind of selection. It's very, very hard for a SS to be a game changer, which is why I'm pessimistic about Whitner being a good value at #8 overall. I just want the Bills to have a lot more game changers and difference makers than we have right now. I'm not trying to be a pain, honest.

And no, I'm not saying the pick was garbage. It wasn't, because the Bills clearly got something of value from it. But they could have gotten more.

I haven't read this entire thread, but in the few posts I've read its gone from ridiculous to hilarious to atrocious. So much so wrong, I wouldn't know where to start.

Whitner was a good pick, get over it. He started every game this year, and probably will for years to come. Furthermore in those starts he was a solid player that didn't get routinely burned. What more do you want in a footall player? Draft position is irrelevant. Peters wasn't even drafted. Does that make him less of a lineman than a first round pick? McCargo: the jury is still very much still out due to injury.

My first post (I can't take it any longer).

First, BOTH these guys were JUNIORS when they came out. THAT"S VERY IMPORTANT. REMEMBER THAT FOR THIS COMING DRAFT! The first 4 picks were JUNIORS! Do you think that was a coincidence? What would Whitner have done in college this year? Probably tore it up! McCargo is still young, he would likely have tore it up in college as well (surely someone will say "How do you know?" Well, I trust that pro scouts around the league know pretty well when someone is ready to make the jump). McCargo is probably younger than a few of the top rated guys coming out in this years draft. The age means ALOT. When everyone was ripping into Losman, comparing him to Kelly it infuriated me. Jim Kelly was 26 when he came to the Bills, and he spent some time in the "Minors" (USFL), he never really had a true rookie NFL season. Anyway, even if Whitner ends up only above average on the field, we don't know what "intangibles" he bring to the team. Work ethic, study habits, competitiveness, team spirit, professionalism, even social attitudes, so much goes into the evaluation of a player. Whitner has done real well, lay off! McCargo is still up in the air, he was injured. They obviously saw something in him to trade up, let's wait until he's 24 or so before we write the guy off. And another thing. I couldn't care less about a players sex life as long as he keeps it legal. When Marv talked about character, he said he didn't mean they had to be choir boys, what he meant was that they had to have good team character (played hard, good teammates,were competitive, always tried to improve, etc.), so if Marv doesn't get rid of Willis, that doesn't mean that he isn't following through with his commitment to "character", I think Marv is more worried about the players' "professional" relationship (which isn't to say that Willis has a good or bad relationship with the team, I (and you) don't really know. Just give Levy and Jauron a few years to get the kind of players they want before you judge them so harshly.

Oh yeah. The first pick is gonna be a junior, so take anyone that isn't a junior off the list (I know some d*** is gonna say "well what about that 19 year old senior"...I don't have time to write out the few exceptions, I hope you get the idea).

First, BOTH these guys were JUNIORS when they came out. THAT"S VERY IMPORTANT. REMEMBER THAT FOR THIS COMING DRAFT! The first 4 picks were JUNIORS! Do you think that was a coincidence? What would Whitner have done in college this year? Probably tore it up! McCargo is still young, he would likely have tore it up in college as well (surely someone will say "How do you know?" Well, I trust that pro scouts around the league know pretty well when someone is ready to make the jump. McCargo is probably younger than a few of the top rated guys coming out in this years draft. The age means ALOT. When everyone was ripping into Losman, comparing him to Kelly it infuriated me. Jim Kelly was 26 when he came to the Bills, and he spent some time in the "Minors" (USFL), he never really had a true rookie season. Anyway, even if Whitner ends up only above average on the field, we don't know what "intagibles" he bring to the team. Work ethic, study habits, competitiveness, team spirit, professionalism, even social attitudes, so much goes into the evaluation of a player. Whitner has done real well, lay off! McCargo is still up in the air, he was injured. They obviously saw something in him to trade up, lets wait until he's 24 or so before we write the guy off. And another thing. I couldn't care less about a players sex life as long as he keeps it leagal. When MArv talked about character, he said he didn't mean they had to be choir boys, what he meant was that they had good team character (played hard, good teammates,were competitive, always tried to improve, etc.), so if MArv doesn't get rid of Willis, that doesn't mean that he is'nt following through with his commitment to "character", I think Marv is more worried about the players "professional" relationship (which isn't to say that Willis has a good or bad relationship with the team, I (and you) don't really know. Just let the give Levy and Juaron a few years to get the kind of players they want before you judge them so harshly.

Oh yeah. The first pick is gonna be a junior, so take anyone that isn't a junior off the list (I know some d*** is gonna say "well what about that 19 year old senior"...Idon't have time to write out the few exception, I hope you get the idea).

Hi....& welcome.

Some good points. :bag:

If I may be so bold though......break up your writing into paragraphs, it's a lot easier to read in smaller chunks.

I liked what you wrote though.

First, BOTH these guys were JUNIORS when they came out. THAT"S VERY IMPORTANT. REMEMBER THAT FOR THIS COMING DRAFT! The first 4 picks were JUNIORS! Do you think that was a coincidence? What would Whitner have done in college this year? Probably tore it up! McCargo is still young, he would likely have tore it up in college as well (surely someone will say "How do you know?" Well, I trust that pro scouts around the league know pretty well when someone is ready to make the jump. McCargo is probably younger than a few of the top rated guys coming out in this years draft. The age means ALOT. When everyone was ripping into Losman, comparing him to Kelly it infuriated me. Jim Kelly was 26 when he came to the Bills, and he spent some time in the "Minors" (USFL), he never really had a true rookie season. Anyway, even if Whitner ends up only above average on the field, we don't know what "intagibles" he bring to the team. Work ethic, study habits, competitiveness, team spirit, professionalism, even social attitudes, so much goes into the evaluation of a player. Whitner has done real well, lay off! McCargo is still up in the air, he was injured. They obviously saw something in him to trade up, lets wait until he's 24 or so before we write the guy off. And another thing. I couldn't care less about a players sex life as long as he keeps it leagal. When MArv talked about character, he said he didn't mean they had to be choir boys, what he meant was that they had good team character (played hard, good teammates,were competitive, always tried to improve, etc.), so if MArv doesn't get rid of Willis, that doesn't mean that he is'nt following through with his commitment to "character", I think Marv is more worried about the players "professional" relationship (which isn't to say that Willis has a good or bad relationship with the team, I (and you) don't really know. Just let the give Levy and Juaron a few years to get the kind of players they want before you judge them so harshly.

Oh yeah. The first pick is gonna be a junior, so take anyone that isn't a junior off the list (I know some d*** is gonna say "well what about that 19 year old senior"...Idon't have time to write out the few exception, I hope you get the idea).

i had forgotten that he was a junior. i'm seeing a movie for you, too, though. "anger management". you can't let it stay all bottled up, brother, it'll tear you apart. get a dog to beat...a sail boat to sail...drink hard liquor. better yet, watch some movies. stay away from george clooney stuff though, he's a total hollywood liberal....and that will just make you angrierer.

Hey, maybe Whitner will elevate his play to an Ed Reed level. I really hope you're right to imply there's a good chance of this. But Whitner almost has to be the next Ed Reed--or pretty close--to justify that kind of selection. It's very, very hard for a SS to be a game changer, which is why I'm pessimistic about Whitner being a good value at #8 overall. I just want the Bills to have a lot more game changers and difference makers than we have right now. I'm not trying to be a pain, honest.

OK....I definitely lied about being finished.

OK so now we get back to the argument of SS at #8. I see a reasonably argument to this but......all this was covered last off-season.

I'll copy out the relevant parts to a post I made last off-season regarding this concept responding to another poster.

As I understand it, the argument goes...Safeties are traditionally rarely taken in the top ten of the draft because the position is intrinsically of a lower impact on the game than virtually every other position. Therefore if you end up with an all-pro S he is less valuable to the team than an all-pro QB or OT etc.

Let me put forward that the S position has drastically changed in recent times.

In the PFW preview 2006 magazine there is a good article(by Trent Modglin) on the changes in the league.

It starts(& this should give you the basics of it)....

"This, clearly, is not your grandfather's NFL. Nor, for that matter, does it all that closely resemble your father's NFL, either. Certainly not with the way safeties are acting all crazy, running from place to place before the snap, blitzing the quarterback, covering wide receivers, intercepting passes and dragging big, bruising running backs to the turf like a leopard on a deer. Things have changed...."

Does this concept(assuming it's truth) elevate the importance of Safety into the same level as most other positions?

Let's have a look at the first 3 rounds of this years draft.

I'm basing this on ESPNs big board....they are one of the biggest 'value' picks proponents so...

#7 Huff(I don't use him in the argument since he is projected at CB)

#8 Whittner(BUF).....projected at #20.....UP 12

#16 Allen(MIA).........projected at #27.....UP 11

#40 Bullocks(DET)....projected at #53.....UP 13

#42 Manning(CHI)....projected at #69.....UP 27

#43 Harper(NO).......projected at #108....UP 65

#54 Pollard(KC).......projected at #95......UP 41

#83 A.Smith(PIT).....projected at #86......UP 3

#97 E.Smith(NYJ).....projected at NOT EVEN RATED

FYI Whittner, Allen & Bullocks were the top 3 projected safeties.

As you can see, the safety position was clearly viewed as more desirable by the NFL clubs than by ESPN analysis.

If the S position has been traditionally downgraded on draft day due to it's lack of importance & now it's importance is higher, it makes sense that they are taken higher than in previous years.

Whittner was considered to be one of the most ready to play draftees in the draft. Sure, you might be able to find someone better in later rounds(as you can with any position..e.g. Brady) but obviously if it were that easy, there would not be any busts at all.

50% of all 1st rounders are busts(including top 10)...give or take. From the looks of it, the odds on Whittner seem to be much better than 50% on whether he will make it as a pro.

Given 50% failure in the first round & the fact that super-stars can be found in later rounds & the concept that the Safety position is more important than it was...with Whittner looking good to become minimally a good starter, I'd say I've done enough to...if not convince you that Whittner was a good pick....to allow you to give the benefit of the doubt at this time & see how he pans out without thinking Marv & Co. are stupid.

i had forgotten that he was a junior. i'm seeing a movie for you, too, though. "anger management". you can't let it stay all bottled up, brother, it'll tear you apart. get a dog to beat...a sail boat to sail...drink hard liquor. better yet, watch some movies. stay away from george clooney stuff though, he's a total hollywood liberal....and that will just make you angrierer.

These Bills, they mean alot to me :bag:

A pretty good rant tho...

I have so much more, especially about the draft.....I'll be back!

you're a good sport, as i recall from prior posts. i followed the math, and i follow your point. here's my take on it. flip the coin 1000 times, and the law of large numbers dictates a certain likelihood that it will come up X times on heads and Y times on tails. but to find out what actually happens in your 1000 coin tosses, you have to have a system to flip the coin. if you get the coin to flip end over end some random number of times from when it leaves your thumb until it hits the table, you'll get your result whether you use your left hand or your right. but--with no system for flipping the coin, you have a 100% probability of failing to get the result. i just reread this and think i made my point...you can decide.

using the coin flip analogy, i'll spot you that, say, ngata (or whomever) might eventually be a difference maker and dw/jm may not (at least to the level i think you're talking about). i assume you'll spot me the same. the problem i always have with the theoretical for any player is that the outcome is difficult to predict if you're not running the same systems with the same level of talent around you. in most cases---all other things being equal---things are not equal.

but, if marv and dj have a sound system in place to identify talent and build a disciplined team, i'll take that over any particular player. r. seymour is a good example---a difference-maker on a team where he's been out quite a bit---but other members in the system step up to take his place.

i respect your opinion and i had profound moments of disappointment this year myself. i closed the year out thinking we were going in the right direction, but next year is a whole new year. it was nice to see, however, romo blow the hold in dallas and miami in shambles. now, if new england gets knocked out, it's as good a situation as i feel we can be in assuming we're not in the mix for the SB.

I understand your point about the importance of a sound system for player identification, and I that such a system is instrumental in building a good football team. I don't know if you've read Patriot Reign, but according to that book, the Patriots' system for player identification was instrumental to their success.

But you can have such a system without necessarily getting too locked into one or two specific players. Generally it's a mistake to be too eager, to get too locked into plan A instead of considering what plan B might have to offer. Had Marv elected to trade down, he could well have still been in a position to take Whitner. But had Whitner been off the boards, would Mangold plus a second round pick have been such a tragedy?

If Marv's system of player identification told him that Whitner and McCargo were the only two players worth having in the first round, his system is far too narrow. A good system should give you a viable plan B and C so that you don't get burned.

The way I see the Whitner pick, it's like completing a 15 yard pass when you had a guy 30 or 40 yards down the field who was wide open. And yes, you're welcome to say something like, "Well in that case, a guy named Holcomb's Arm should love the Whitner pick."

OK....I definitely lied about being finished.

OK so now we get back to the argument of SS at #8. I see a reasonably argument to this but......all this was covered last off-season.

I'll copy out the relevant parts to a post I made last off-season regarding this concept responding to another poster.

Your post about the changing role of the safety rings true. And yes, that does make me feel a little better about the Whitner pick. I'm still not thrilled with the pick mind you, and I won't be unless Whitner begins to receive serious Pro Bowl consideration. But I agree it's not the end of the world.

.....The way I see the Whitner pick, it's like completing a 15 yard pass when you had a guy 30 or 40 yards down the field who was wide open. And yes, you're welcome to say something like, "Well in that case, a guy named Holcomb's Arm should love the Whitner pick."

:bag:

I think the analogy is closer to the guy 25 yards down field is covered. Do you risk the 50-50 catch/int? I guess that would depend on the situation you are in.

Again.....

Did we have the best draft we could have?????

NO

Did we have a great draft????

YES

Did we know how we could have made the draft better....pre-draft????

NO

Did some people foresee a better way we could have drafted?????

By the laws of probability.....YES

Should we be happy that....even though it could have potentially been better.....we had a great draft????

Apparently NO......I still don't get it.

Yeah, so Whitner was underrated. HE'S STILL A GREAT PLAYER NO MATTER WHAT SOME CRAZY SITE SAYS!

Good point.....though I still think that when looking at 'the pick'.....any non bust is better than a bust(which is 50%).

I was mainly trying to counter the concept of what Matt in DC said in post #65(after my post too)....."A) I think that Whitner will be good, but not worth the #8 pick." By perspective, I meant that if half of the #8 picks are busts........how is it possible for everyone to continually expect the player to become a HOFer. Surely a 'good' player is a result well above the odds & therefore the player is a good pick.

....but I digress from your point :D

Let's compare Whitners rookie year to those guys.

Whitner....15 games, 104 tackles, 1 int, 0 sacks

Huff....16 games, 78 tackles, 0 int, 0 sacks

Allen....16 games, 20 tackles, 1 int, 0 sacks

Taylor....15 games, 76 tackles, 4 int, 1 sacks

Polamalu....16 games, 38 tackles, 0 int, 0 sacks

Williams....16 games, 55 tackles, 5 ins, 2 sacks

Reed....16, 85 tackles, 5 int, 1 sack

As we can see.....in perspective to his modern day peers.....he is certainly in the mix.....better than most....most tackles by far....only one int which is only bettered by 3 players.

but wait.....you forgot a few safeties......

2005: Thomas Davis(converted to OLB)....16 games, 38 tackles, 0 int, 1.5 sacks

2002: Mike Rumph....16 games, 49 tackles, 0 int, 0 sacks

....and I think to be fair, we should grab more 1st round safeties from further back in time. In recent times there has been a few BIG successes more than the usual I'd think.....only fair to compare in proper perspective.(A bit like in recent times high 1st round OTs have been busts.....we don't expect all high 1st round OTs to be busts based on that anomaly)

2001: Adam Archuleta....13 games, 56 tackles, 0 int, 2 sacks

2001: Derrick Gibson....16 games, 15 tackles, 1 int, 0 sacks

1999: Antuan Edwards....16 games, 36 tackles, 4 int, 0 sacks

1998: Tebucky Jones....16 games, 29 tackles, 0 int, 0 sacks

1998: Shaun Williams....13 games, 34 tackles, 2 int, 0 sacks

1998: Donovin Darius....14 games, 76 tackles, 0 int, 0 sacks

OK....that's 10 years of the first season for 1st round Safeties drafted.

15 in total

Whitner had the highest tackles.....equal 6th in ints & along with 9 others, 0 sacks.

OK....the top 10 picks are.....

Huff....not as good

Taylor....more ints....less tackles

Williams....more ints....less tackles

Again.....when looked at in perspective.......Whitner is showing himself to be a very good pick.

Your work inspired me my Aussie friend. :bag: Taking some of the players you listed, I decided to take things a step further beyond individual stats. I'll try and be as brief as possible in looking at some of the team rankings.

Ed Reed - In his rookie season in 2002, the Ravens dropped from 10-6 to 7-9 (-3). Their pass defense gave up 3,823 yards (26th in the league), gave up 16 passing tds (4th), had 25 INTs (2nd), and IMO the most improtant stat, gave up 6.67 yards per attempt (16th). http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/rav2002.htm

Roy Williams - Also a 2002 rookie. Cowboys followed a 5-11 season with another 5-11 season (0). Pass rankings: 3,586 yards (17), 22 tds (17), 19 Ints (8), and ypa of 6.25 (6). http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/dal2002.htm

Troy Polamalu - 2003, Steelers went 10-5-1 to 6-10 (-3.5). Pass rankings: 3,245 yards (12), 20 tds (17), 14 ints (22), and ypa of 6.69 (17). http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/pit2003.htm

Sean Taylor - 2004, 5-11 to 6-10 (+1), Pass rankings: 2,977 yards (7), 17 tds (5), 18 ints (14), and ypa of 5.78 (2). http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/was2004.htm

Michael Huff - 2006, 4-12 to 2-14 (-2), Pass rankings: 2,413 yards (1), 17 tds (7), 18 ints (11), and ypa of 5.89 (5). http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/rai2006.htm

Jason Allen (though he was mainly a dime back) - 2006, 9-7 to 6-10 (-3), Pass rankings: 3,007 yards (5), 22 tds (21), 8 ints (31), and ypa of 6.04 (10). http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/mia2006.htm

Donte Whitner - 2006, 5-11 to 7-9 (+2), Pass rankings: 3,019 yards (7), 18 tds (10), 13 ints (24), and ypa of 5.87 (3). http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf2006.htm

What does this prove other than I was really bored? :D That for the purpose he was drafted for, Whitner was part of a pass defense that ranked with any of the other elite safties' rookie years. And though I didn't look into it, I highly doubt anyone of the teams listed started one safety who was 21 and another who was 23. Well it is certainly easy to second guess the pick because of our poor run defense, the McCargo injury really stunts the complete comparison. Personally while shocked at the time, I love the progress I saw. And I believe another year in the cover 2 and the return of McCargo and another wide body (and Tim Anderson never playing again), this defense will be an elite unit. Trust in Marv. 0:)

It's a fantasy ranking of defensive players. For what it's worth, Fletcher is the #1 ranked LB (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/playerrankings/regularseason/LB) & Chris Kelsey is ranked ahead of Schobel (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/playerrankings/regularseason/DL). So I'd take it with a huge grain of salt.

......Personally while shocked at the time, I love the progress I saw. And I believe another year in the cover 2 and the return of McCargo and another wide body (and Tim Anderson never playing again), this defense will be an elite unit. Trust in Marv. 0:)

Good work....the most surprising thing(for me) was to find out that OAK had the #1 pass D this season. Who'd have thought?

I think we'll need another young stud LB as well....what with Fletcher looking to be gone & Spikes(though in my mind expected to be back strong) still a big ?????

I don't think the loss of NC(I'm expecting him gone) will effect the D as much as most fear. As long as we get a decent/good replacement, the drop-off should not be that noticeable.....we use mainly a zone D....why pay the extra money for a CB who can blanket a WR when the ability would be used less than elsewhere.

I think you are correct.....we are close to being an elite unit. Fingers crossed...it'll happen. :bag:

I'm really pissed at the Bledsoe trade.

Donnaho gave up far too much for a player who lost his starting job to injury.

I want to discuss this for the next ten years.

We got screwed on that deal and our progression toward the playoffs suffered a setback that we won't recover from for another decade.

By drafting a safety that high being elite or not is the difference between being a bad decision or a good one. Whitner should be judged in the context of the elite safeties because he was drafted in a position before most of the elite safeties. I'm not exactly giving kudos to Marv for finding what looks to be a very good safety in the top 10 until that safety turns into an elite one. I especially won't when we could have had Ngata, and I'm not saying such in hindsight. I started the draft Haloti Ngata bandwagon about 4 months before April and half the wall was on board.

Agreed!

I understand your point about the importance of a sound system for player identification, and I that such a system is instrumental in building a good football team. I don't know if you've read Patriot Reign, but according to that book, the Patriots' system for player identification was instrumental to their success.

But you can have such a system without necessarily getting too locked into one or two specific players. Generally it's a mistake to be too eager, to get too locked into plan A instead of considering what plan B might have to offer. Had Marv elected to trade down, he could well have still been in a position to take Whitner. But had Whitner been off the boards, would Mangold plus a second round pick have been such a tragedy?

If Marv's system of player identification told him that Whitner and McCargo were the only two players worth having in the first round, his system is far too narrow. A good system should give you a viable plan B and C so that you don't get burned.

The way I see the Whitner pick, it's like completing a 15 yard pass when you had a guy 30 or 40 yards down the field who was wide open. And yes, you're welcome to say something like, "Well in that case, a guy named Holcomb's Arm should love the Whitner pick."

i would have said it, but had to get some sleep. i never had a beef with holcomb the way some others did, by the way, i will keep going back to the same thought as before---in the correct system, i think the guy has skills he brings to the table. he's more likely to thrive in a short passing game, possession-type receptions, nickle and dime a team to death. it can work, and has, and regardless of how exciting it is, i'd take a boring offensive team winning a super bowl any day. i favored letting losman take his knocks, but to be fair almost jumped out my office window by mid-season, even though we all recognized the line was not playing well. i'm greatful they turned the corner when they did, although my office is on the first floor.

to answer your question regarding mangold and a second rounder--no, i agree, a tradgedy it would not have been. on the other hand, there are no guarantees they saw mangold as the most pressing need #2, for reasons i'll never know. ultimately, i'm pretty much a "let coaches coach" guy (and a horrible, darkly depressed indivdual when the coaches/player deliver a poor performance on any given Sunday). i like the approach, and try not to worry about what else might have been. there are too many variables that i don't know enough about---leinhart and the wind in buffalo, how many legitimate options were available on draft day and what were the strings attached, etc etc. certainly, many of you on the board do much more draft analysis than i do, or ever would.

oh, and i can't read "patriot's reign" but follow the concept. i'm sick to death of them.

tim

And no, I'm not saying the pick was garbage. It wasn't, because the Bills clearly got something of value from it. But they could have gotten more.

Right on! Maybe Whitner improves his play, maybe not...jury is still out. For those that describe him as "great", apparently they saw things I didn't. He didn't impress me as big time hitter, very instinctive, disruptive in running game, or exceptional in coverage. The Bills head coach talks about his great speed, but great speed, while commendable for football, does not translate to being a great football player. I'm not saying he's a bust, but long term outlook is inconclusive. Other early pick safeties, like E. Reed and Sean Taylor, clearly demonstrated their star qualities from the get go.

Right on! Maybe Whitner improves his play, maybe not...jury is still out. For those that describe him as "great", apparently they saw things I didn't. He didn't impress me as big time hitter, very instinctive, disruptive in running game, or exceptional in coverage. The Bills head coach talks about his great speed, but great speed, while commendable for football, does not translate to being a great football player. I'm not saying he's a bust, but long term outlook is inconclusive. Other early pick safeties, like E. Reed and Sean Taylor, clearly demonstrated their star qualities from the get go.

Were they playing on teams with new head coaches, new defensive coordinators, new defensive systems, starting FOUR other rookies regularly on defense, with huge questions in their front sevens? Not to let common sense get in the middle or anything.

i don't have any problem with it was a "great" pick, but would agree he has not established himself as a "great" player at this point. i do think any discussion on him being a bust on the other hand, you're revising what jauron said just a bit, here's the quote from one article:

BuffaloBills.com reports: '"He's talented, he's fast," said head coach Dick Jauron. "He likes to play the game and he'll hit you. Those are all things that translate well to our sport. He's still learning how to play, but one of the reasons we did like him is because he likes football. He likes to talk about football, look at it, study it and he likes to play. He's going to work out well for us because I see him improving all the time."'

on this quick quote, and assuming dj didn't mean "he'll hit you" wasn't a reference to a "oh no you di'int" biatch-slap paris hilton swipe, i'll assume he meant he hits your hard. he's got to develop the proper technique, how/when/where to hit a brotha.