Ralph's Comment: Read between the lines?

Cornerville

'Then, warming to the subject, Wilson added, “There’s a closeness, a different attitude ... a different atmosphere this year, a lot of camaraderie. We’ve got a lot of really top players ... they don’t get a lot of publicity because they’re in a small market. (But) I think this is a really coming team and if we just have a decent draft this year, we’ll have a possible playoff team with any breaks next year.”'

Just bringing this up for discussion...do you think Ralph's inability to mention Free Agency, you know, maybe brining in some talent, is Ralph just forgetting about FA or is this team going old school and just primarily going to rely on the NFL Draft?

Sadly, his mentioning of the draft and not FA popped out at me as well.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't get the feeling that this team is going to spend much money this offseason.

871045[/snapback]

Same here, or is this comment Ralph posturing to give the appearence he needs $?

I think its good. Think about it: this team started 2-5, and then at the bye week alot of things changed. Specifically Losman was unleashed and allowed to play to his full potential and 4 positions on the O-line saw new starters. Since then, we're 5-2! Doesn't that 5-2 record since the changes mean that the team in the state it is now is already a legitimate contender? Add to that we'll have more experience for guys like Kyle Williams, JP Losman, Whitner, Simpson, Ellison, Pennington, etc. And we get McCargo back.

The team the way it is right now should be competing for the division title next year. We should use the draft to improve a couple of weak positions. Other than that, we should use available cap space to try to re-sign our own players...bring back Fletcher, Clements, Kelsay and Gandy.

Just use our resources to keep this team together for our run next year.

'Then, warming to the subject, Wilson added, “There’s a closeness, a different attitude ... a different atmosphere this year, a lot of camaraderie. We’ve got a lot of really top players ... they don’t get a lot of publicity because they’re in a small market. (But) I think this is a really coming team and if we just have a decent draft this year, we’ll have a possible playoff team with any breaks next year.”'

Just bringing this up for discussion...do you think Ralph's inability to mention Free Agency, you know, maybe brining in some talent, is Ralph just forgetting about FA or is this team going old school and just primarily going to rely on the NFL Draft?

871042[/snapback]

I thought the same thing. I'm not hoping we are gonna become the Redskins, but I hope we can go out and modestly spend on some Free Agents.

I agree

I don't think they are going to make a huge splash in FA, just do what they did last year, bring in a bunch of under the radar players to compete for spots and have a good draft. In recent weeks the need for players at certain positions has dwindled and as long as the majority of the pieces come back for next season they should be in good shape. its not like this is an old team, most of the players doing well for the team haven't even hit their prime and can still develop into much better players.

I highly doubt we see a Steinbach type move in FA. I think they will rely more on the draft, they really don't have to do much more, just hope that these players all continue to develop and find some solid replacements to fill a couple holes.

Marv is on record on numerous, numerous occasions as saying: FA is not the way to build a team. (or something to that effect) It doesn't surprise me at all that Marv and Ralph talk more highly on the importance of the draft.

It doens't mean we won't go after free agents. If I'm not mistaken we were among the most active teams last off season in free agency, in hires and salaries. However, Marv clearly has a different philosophy than a Snyder-type (for ex). when it comes to signing FAs.

I think ML/DJ and RW will do the same thing they did last year. They'll bring in some O-lineman and maybe a DT on the free agent market, but won't go after "name" (break the bank) players. If smart their break the bank player will be Nate Clements, who will effect our team more next year than almost anyone from outside.

I think ML/DJ and RW will do the same thing they did last year.  They'll bring in some O-lineman and maybe a DT on the free agent market, but won't go after "name"  (break the bank) players.  If smart their break the bank player will be Nate Clements, who will effect  our team more next year than almost anyone from outside.

871086[/snapback]

That would be best for right now. Solid players that can gel and become superstars, not superstars with ego and baggage.

OH NO! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE BILLS ARE MOVING! THE END IS NIGH!

:rolleyes:

871109[/snapback]

Where did I ever say that in this thread?

I just found the comment to be interesting and was curious to see what other Bills fans thought of it, end of story.

do you think Ralph's inability to mention Free Agency, you know, maybe brining in some talent, is Ralph just forgetting about FA or is this team going old school and just primarily going to rely on the NFL Draft?

871042[/snapback]

The Bills have always relied on the draft first, and selective FA signings to fill in gaps second. Why should Ralph's "inability" to mention potental FA signings be considered anything new? Especially since that's Marv's job, anyway.

I think its good. Think about it: this team started 2-5, and then at the bye week alot of things changed. Specifically Losman was unleashed and allowed to play to his full potential and 4 positions on the O-line saw new starters. Since then, we're 5-2! Doesn't that 5-2 record since the changes mean that the team in the state it is now is already a legitimate contender? Add to that we'll have more experience for guys like Kyle Williams, JP Losman, Whitner, Simpson, Ellison, Pennington, etc. And we get McCargo back.

The team the way it is right now should be competing for the division title next year. We should use the draft to improve a couple of weak positions. Other than that, we should use available cap space to try to re-sign our own players...bring back Fletcher, Clements, Kelsay and Gandy.

Just use our resources to keep this team together for our run next year.

871055[/snapback]

I agree. I would like to see sign Clements, Fletcher, Kelsay and Gandy. Signing our players should be a priority. After that maybe we will have a few $$ to add some more talent via free agency ... I am no cap man.