Marv on McGahee

Dawgg

Quotes from Marv in today's D&C...

"From a coaching point, I'd say he has to blast it into the line a little more, rather than trying to do the jiggle step and find the opening," said Levy. "He can't think every play is going to break the big one; the big one will come if you keep slamming it in, slamming it in."

"Blast it in there and take your three yards, four yards, and all of a sudden he'll explode into the open," Levy said.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is this reason why I think McGahee's gone after next season, and after this season if he and Rosen-h-ass start grumbling about their contract.

RBs don't last long in the NFL (avg career is ~2 years) and it's been shown a lot recently that a much cheaper rookie can come right in and an O won't skip a beat.

I think the writing is on the wall thta next year will be Willis' last in a bills uniform. Why would the bills after next year give willis a big contract when he has a blown out knee infury & has had 4yrs of wear & tear on him when they could draft a someone for alot cheaper & without the wear & tear.

I'll add an additional angle... perhaps it's time to take a hard look at the running backs coach Eric Studesville. He has been here for most of Willis' tenure and has presided over very inconsistent play. Perhaps Willis has the tools but needs better coaching?

I'll add an additional angle... perhaps it's time to take a hard look at the running backs coach Eric Studesville.  He has been here for most of Willis' tenure and has presided over very inconsistent play.  Perhaps Willis has the tools but needs better coaching?

859663[/snapback]

here come the "bring in thurman to coach the rbs" threads! :w00t::doh:

I'll add an additional angle... perhaps it's time to take a hard look at the running backs coach Eric Studesville.  He has been here for most of Willis' tenure and has presided over very inconsistent play.  Perhaps Willis has the tools but needs better coaching?

859663[/snapback]

I doubt a coaching change is going to fix the lack of "tools" between Willis' ears.

Quotes from Marv in today's D&C...

"From a coaching point, I'd say he has to blast it into the line a little more, rather than trying to do the jiggle step and find the opening," said Levy. "He can't think every play is going to break the big one; the big one will come if you keep slamming it in, slamming it in."

"Blast it in there and take your three yards, four yards, and all of a sudden he'll explode into the open," Levy said.

859611[/snapback]

I believe Marv was a RB at Coe college. He should know, right?

A photo of Marv "slamming it in" from his college days would be priceless.

Wow, where are the Willis lovers now? The old man's come down from the mountain and he agrees with those of us who say Willis hesitates WAY too much.

859728[/snapback]

Well, Kelly drops in now and then and defends Willis for reasons only he knows, but Peter has since disappeared. I'm sure they'll both chime in and say Marv has no clue as well. I've been saying this this season and last, consistently. Not only that, if his running is subpar, what do we have in him?! He's a terrible blocker, non-existent receiver, terrible short yardage, so what DOES he do so well that these guys defend him game in and game out? This guy is a big part of the problem, has been for 2 years. It's pretty clear when a castoff guy like A-Train can play better football than Willis. The instant Travis left town was when he started his decline and he can be replaced with a mid-round pick.

Wow, where are the Willis lovers now? The old man's come down from the mountain and he agrees with those of us who say Willis hesitates WAY too much.

859728[/snapback]

Actually, he didn't say that, he said "he has to blast it into the line a little more". That's a little more, that's not "hesitates way too much", and I can agree with Marv on that. He probably should. There are certain plays, many in fact, that he could get 1 or 2 more yards if he just ran up the gut harder. I don't believe, however, that the long bursts will just magically come if he does that. You need more of an opening IMO to break those. And the Bills as a whole do a crappy job of holding their blocks, especially the WRs as well as the right side of the line.

I also am not necessarily a Willis lover. I don't like the way he blocks. I don't think his leg has been well until this year. I really liked Travis and stuck up for him to no end.

My argument has always been not that Willis is great, but that Willis never gets holes. And he doesn't. If he did, he would be near the top of the league IMO. The run blocking in front of him has been deplorable since he got here. And that his dancing does not come because he is stupid, or not a smart runner, but rather that he is trying to make a play, and make something happen out of nothing and provide a spark by breaking a bigger run. It hasn't happened very much at all, because he gets no holes. He does, however, break a lot of tackles.

What happens because of his dancing, however, is that we get 2nd and 10 instead of 2nd and 9, or 3rd and 6 instead of 3rd and 8, and we would very much likely punt or make the first down anyway. In other words, IMO, his dancing costs us about 10 yards a game on the ground but probably no change in points and very rarely even a first down.