wllis or a train

bigem

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For someone who named himself "keep the faith" you sure B word about everything.

858520[/snapback]

I'd like to see the Bills upgrade the position, obviously not this year.

A lot of my "bitching" is in response to the negativity or other ridiculous statements I read on this board. There is so much crap posted here, but I guess that what makes it real and fun.

If my choice is between willis or a train, I take the train, have you ever seen someone hit by one and survive? Maybe if we got one of those bullet trains from Japan Roscoe would no longer be the fastest guy on the team. But hows the train supposed to hold onto the ball? and will the league allow us to install rails on the field for the train to ride on?

A lot of my "bitching" is in response to the negativity or other ridiculous statements I read on this board.  There is so much crap posted here, but I guess that what makes it real and fun.

858538[/snapback]

So you B word about all the negativity? Now there's a solution. Keep up the good work and the faith. :doh:

I suspect for the rest of this season we would be best off sticking with Willis with a generous dose of A-Train in particular situations. Neither is a real franchise back and using them both would probably have the best result. It is an area where we could use a replacement, but the area is not bad enough to be a high priority. O-line, D-line and then Linebacker, Tight End. Willis and A-Train will do for another year.

If my choice is between willis or a train, I take the train, have you ever seen someone hit by one and survive? Maybe if we got one of those bullet trains from Japan Roscoe would no longer be the fastest guy on the team. But hows the train supposed to hold onto the ball? and will the league allow us to install rails on the field for the train to ride on?

858542[/snapback]

If a diet pepsi machine can hang on to a football, and even recover a fumble, i think we could make sure that a train could somehow hold a football while it chugged along.

The bigger problem is installing tracks on the field for the train. it will telegraph to opposing defenses exactly where the train plans to run.

Yes, Willis didn't have a good game at all Sunday, but this has got to be one of the moronic debates of all time on this board. The backup RB comes in and gains 10yrds on 2 carries once in a while. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Willis may be overrated, but he IS a better back than Thomas. PERIOD.

If a diet pepsi machine can hang on to a football, and even recover a fumble, i think we could make sure that a train could somehow hold a football while it chugged along.

The bigger problem is installing tracks on the field for the train. it will telegraph to opposing defenses exactly where the train plans to run.

858584[/snapback]

Maybe we could get the diet pepsi machine too, the BK King I hear is going to et a huge deal out of our league.

Maybe we could get the Coors light train and every running play everything freezes up and free beer appears in everyones hands?

Installing the tracks is no different then having the A-train run the ball, everyone knows he is going to run it up the middle in a straight line and try to bust through the lines.

Seriously, this is always the dumbest arguements. Willis is a good back, but slightly better then the A-train, thats why he is the starter. Most people just have a thing against him cause he came from the U and isn't as dominant as LT. They are both good and what I don't understand is why it has to be one or the other. Why not use both like NE uses Dillon and Maroney? or like the Dolphins used ricky and the other guy (I forgot his name right now)

Willis would be an all-pro back if he had a good line. He'd probably put up LT-type stats if he played in San Diego. He's elusive, quick, fast, strong.

The problem is he plays behind a below-average line. He doesn't have the luxury to be patient, dance around, and look for big gains. He's got to see the hole and hit the hole. That's what A-Train does. And that's why A-Train is a better back for our team right now.

I can't wait for WM to leave town. But I also have a feeling if he goes to a team with a good line, he's going to be a monster.

858525[/snapback]

I credit LTs blocking not just to his OL, but to his lead blocker. That guy is an All-pro. Actually, San Diegos OL is OK, it is not a all-star cast like last years Steelers SB line.

I credit LTs blocking not just to his OL, but to his lead blocker. That guy is an All-pro. Actually, San Diegos OL is OK, it is not a all-star cast like last years Steelers SB line.

858619[/snapback]

Quite a blocker...

"Lorenzo Neal (born December 27, 1970 in Hanford, California) is a Pro Bowl fullback in the National Football League. He played for Lemoore High School in Central California and Fresno State University. He was selected in the 1993 NFL Draft in the fourth round (89th overall) by the New Orleans Saints. Neal currently plays in the NFL with the San Diego Chargers. He has blocked for 1,000 yard rushers for 9 years in a row through 2005, first for Adrian Murrell of the New York Jets, then for Eddie George of the Tennessee Titans and then for Corey Dillon (then) of the Cincinnati Bengals. He now blocks for LaDainian Tomlinson of the San Diego Chargers, and is considered to be the best blocking fullback in the league, and draws admirations from fellow fullbacks for his unselfishness, most notably Tony Richardson who once said in a NFL Films reel; "I'd like to think of myself as a pretty good player at fullback, but Lorenzo Neal is on a whole 'nother level".

In 2006, Neal was voted into the Pro Bowl for the second time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenzo_Neal

Anthony Thomas

84 Carries

310 Yards

3.7 Average

Willis McGahee

182 Carries

668 Yards

3.7 Average

OH MY GOD! I FOUND IT! The reason why A-Train should start! He actually has the same average as Willis, and since we like him why shouldn't he get the nod? I mean this is Anthony Thomas we're talking about.  The same guy who was inconsistent at best as a younger player, but should now be ready to come into his own after 6 seasons and a near career ending injury. 

A couple things people fall to mention is who the two have faced, or the sample size of the statistics, but let's not let logic stand in the way of a good debate. A-Train's 84 carries have come against teams with a run d average of 4.3 yards per carry. McGahee's 182 carries have come against teams with a run d average of 3.7 yards per carry.  To put that in comparison another .6 onto McGahee's numbers would make a McGahee lead Buffalo rushing attack top 10 in the NFL in average. 

Sorry for the attitude, but people are trying to run a player out of town that will make us much worse off, and create another need. You’re going to need something a little better then "I think he looks better" to get me on board.

858329[/snapback]

Here's something to get you on board. Watch the Bills game, any week where WM is the RB. Then watch at least 5 or 6 other NFL games. You'll come to the realization that WM is a below-average RB (and that's being generous). If you don't, you need to watch more football.

When you combine all of the things that make a RB and football player) good, WM is a joke.

Here's something to get you on board.  Watch the Bills game, any week where WM is the RB.  Then watch at least 5 or 6 other NFL games.  You'll come to the realization that WM is a below-average RB (and that's being generous).  If you don't, you need to watch more football. 

When you combine all of the things that make a RB and football player) good, WM is a joke.

858770[/snapback]

Actually, if you watch other games you will see that virtually all runners, at least a couple times a game, break into the secondary, or at least the linebacking crew, usually untouched. I take that back, you don't need to watch other games, just watch the same game and watch the team the Bills are playing. They allow this several times a game. I defy anyone here to name more than five plays in Willis' entire career where he had a truck sized hole and burst into the secondary with a full head of steam. I also defy anyone to name even one play where there was a truck sized hole immediately and Willis, because he was dancing, missed it.

Maybe Willis is good, but, like Losman, the proof is in the pudding. I'm the first to admit that the offensive line has been so bad in the pass protection scheme, it has been impossible to evaluate JP until recently...when DJ made adjustments to enhance pass protection and the line improved somewhat. The impression I did have was that our run-blocking was less bad than our pass blocking. I'm just not seeing that much from Willis. Never understood why we drafted him when we had Henry, nor why we traded Henry. Hopefully WM will show us more.

Here's something to get you on board.  Watch the Bills game, any week where WM is the RB.  Then watch at least 5 or 6 other NFL games.  You'll come to the realization that WM is a below-average RB (and that's being generous).  If you don't, you need to watch more football. 

858770[/snapback]

I watched two weeks ago when McGahee accounted for 12 points that Anthony Thomas would not have gotten. What people like yourself don't seem to understand is the RB makes up ONE section of the running game. It's maybe the biggest section, but it's still only one section. This isn't the NBA, you can't judge a player completely on his performance when his performance is linked to other players. If you have a viable alternative like Michael Turner then so be it. But even then you’re pretty much just swapping similar caliber players and not fixing the underlying problems. As it is people are suggesting A-Train which is just plain laughable.

Yes, Willis didn't have a good game at all Sunday, but this has got to be one of the moronic debates of all time on this board. The backup RB comes in and gains 10yrds on 2 carries once in a while. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Willis may be overrated, but he IS a better back than Thomas. PERIOD.

858590[/snapback]

Fine. Is it worth it to the franchise to devote a large chunk of the cap to him instead of signing a lineman? Does he give you that much more than the Atrain?

(This is basically a continuation of the argument whether Willis is four times better than Henry was, since he chews up four times the cap room.)

Since Willis is questionable. Sit his ass down and start A-train

859335[/snapback]

Don't you know he runs all over the Jets every time we play them? Don't be a fool man. You may dislike Willis as our RB, but you know damn well he's gonna tear them another one this sunday. This is the game he breaks a big one.

Maybe Willis is good, but, like Losman, the proof is in the pudding.  I'm the first to admit that the offensive line has been so bad in the pass protection scheme, it has been impossible to evaluate JP until recently...when DJ made adjustments to enhance pass protection and the line improved somewhat.  The impression I did have was that our run-blocking was less bad than our pass blocking.  I'm just not seeing that much from Willis.  Never understood why we drafted him when we had Henry, nor why we traded Henry. Hopefully WM will show us more.

858799[/snapback]

The Willis- Henry draft- trade is looking really bad now. Henry was a Fletcher type player, who could play behind a bad line. But with that 2004 season Willis looked like the man. Exactly what happened in Antowain Smith's rookie year- the guy knocked people over like they weren't even there- and then nothing, until he was traded.

This position needs to be looked at hard during the off-season. Flame away, but the- "there are no holes" is getting old. This guy didn't need a hole when Henry was here.

This article is about as close as you'll get to having Marv blast Willis for "not hitting the hole". I'm glad it mentions guys like Willie Parker and Julius Jones because i often say that Willis is behind all those type of players in terms of actual ability not just perceived talent.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p.../612070388/tbd/