It's hard...

It's hard not to give up hope for this team. Yes, they've played the top AFC teams fairly well, but they've lost all of them. Yes, they've shown some improvement over last year, but yet again, they're out of the running.

Some weeks they look good. Some just dreadful.

One thing that seems consistent is the lack of coaching on this team. Poor clock management, bewildering defensive schemes, punting from the 38, not maintaining momentum, it's just baffling what this team does sometimes.

I have to hope that next year will be better. But I'm not counting on it.

I just have to wonder how it is that other teams always seem to find talent. Think about SD for a second. Their team boasts Rivers, Gates, Tomlinson, Merriman, and about 15 other guys who could conceivably be Pro Bowlers.

Where are our Pro Bowlers? McGahee SUCKS. Sorry, it's a fact. The guy has no heart, no ability, and brings ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the table. If he's not gone next season, I'll be shocked. Schoebel? Good player, but I think he'd be a backup in SD. Fletcher? Maybe, but I don't think he makes it this year. Losman? Not yet. Maybe in 5 years he'll be good enough.

It's hard, I tell ya. Hard to keep your head up. Hard to admit you're a Bills fan sometimes. I just hope our time comes soon. I want to be able to talk sh-- to other fans. I want to be able to crow to lesser teams' fans.

I'm just wondering if our time will ever come.

Pardon the rant, just had to get that out.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All that I can offer is that San Diego was dreadful for a LONG LONG time.  Remember the Ryan Leaf years and the 5-7 years prior to that.  For a long time their best player was a linebacker.

I prefer to view this as a series of cycles.  We're just starting the upward phase :D

856358[/snapback]

We've been "starting" that phase for oh, 10 years now. When does it REALLY start?

At this rate, I don't think the Bills will sell out another home game for the next two seasons.

Then the Mayflower vans. Then in LA they win their first Super Bowl. Sorry, that's just the cynic in me talking.

One thing that seems consistent is the lack of coaching on this team. Poor clock management, bewildering defensive schemes, punting from the 38, not maintaining momentum, it's just baffling what this team does sometimes.

Coaching left much to be desired yesterday. Not to rehash points that I am sure were chewed on already, but...Calling a timeout and then using a challenge on a play that everyone knew would not be overturned? Willis dancing instead of getting the fuggin first down and then the punt? Someone please tell me the percentage of first downs where we ran left off tackle? Throw in some dubious calls/non calls by the refs and you have the icing on the cake.

A very frustrating day yesterday.

We've been "starting" that phase for oh, 10 years now. When does it REALLY start?

856359[/snapback]

I had no idea that Marv and Company have been in place for ten years.

I've said it before; you can only ever appreciate 13-3 after you live through some 3-13s. Only there is more to hope for now. Suddenly, being down in the fourth quarter is something we believe we can overcome. Suddenly, people have faith in our quarterback to make the critical throws, even after he's thrown some ducks. Suddenly, we game plan better, and protect the quarterback better, and score in the red zone better...regardless of what DeLuca says.

It's hard, but it's been harder.

You know what's really hard? To be humble. Especially when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror. I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me. Well I must be a helluva man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble. But I'm doing the best that I can.

You know what's really hard? To be humble. Especially when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror. I get better looking each day.  To know me is to love me. Well I must be a helluva man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble. But I'm doing the best that I can.

856397[/snapback]

:D

This is something that normally pops into my head every sunday night. I think the reason it has been so frustrating this year is that this team gets close but can't finish.

The bills have lost 5 games by 5 points or less. Now that's frustrating.

In optimism, I have seen some improvements this year, and we can all see where the weaknesses are, so I expect a better team and a better record next year.

I'm trying, but the word "rebuilding" gives me a headache now.

Where are our Pro Bowlers? McGahee SUCKS. Sorry, it's a fact. The guy has no heart, no ability, and brings ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the table. If he's not gone next season, I'll be shocked. Schoebel? Good player, but I think he'd be a backup in SD. Fletcher? Maybe, but I don't think he makes it this year. Losman? Not yet. Maybe in 5 years he'll be good enough.

856353[/snapback]

Lee Evans. There you have our next legit Pro Bowler. I hear you on McGahee, he has certainly been a disappointment, but I don't know that he brings absolutely nothing to the table.

Lee Evans.  There you have our next legit Pro Bowler.  I hear you on McGahee, he has certainly been a disappointment, but I don't know that he brings absolutely nothing to the table.

856414[/snapback]

Right on with Evans.

McGahee is done. Mentally, he's shot. Trade him while you can still get a third rounder for him and draft his replacement with whatever pick you get for him.

Let's purge this roster of "U" players.

Right on with Evans.

McGahee is done. Mentally, he's shot. Trade him while you can still get a third rounder for him and draft his replacement with whatever pick you get for him.

Let's purge this roster of "U" players.

856417[/snapback]

This years candidate for weathervane of the year JSP and the weathervane

PS I wanna keep Parrish

I know it is hard but this team is heading in the right direction. I wouldnt be surprised if they beat the jets next week. Anybody at the last 2 games could attest that there is a totally different atmosphere at the ralph this year then compared to the Donahoe years. With another good solid draft & some key free agent signings, I think this team is well on their way. For the first time in a long time, this team finally has a good solid foundation of young players to build around(Losman, Evans, Peters, Simpson, Whitner, Triplett etc....)

You may have noticed I did not include Willis. Im sorry, but this guy has got to be the most overrated player by the fans in bills history. He is not a top 5 back, he is not a top 10 back, he is not even a top 20 back. Next year, when he goes down to the U to train, the bills should tell him to dont bother coming back up. I really think next year, you trade him for the highest draft pick you could get, hopefully a 2nd rounder, but my guess is a 3rd or early 4th rounder. Worst comes to worse, you go into the season with a-train as your #1 back. They are more efficient offense with him in there anyways

I feel the pains of this post. It does get old and tiresome (and some people wonder how we could have trouble selling out a game). Here's how I see it:

This is a young team. Young in every way. And maybe they're all just learning how to play together. They do seem to be progressing each week. I have hope from what I've seen. JP appears to be turning into a real NFL QB right before our eyes. He's been good 3 weeks in a row in the 4th quarter 2 minute offense. Now, maybe after losing like we did Jauron will see the need to try and put points on the board before the half when we have the ball with 2+ minutes on the clock.

We have alot of good players with alot of upside. They're not great now, but many of the younger guys definitely look like they could become great. I must say, though, about McGehee; I'm starting to wonder. He's just not getting it done when the team needs it most. That screen pass on 3rd down that he couldn't convery, just kills. In no way do I suggest we bench him this year, but I'd suggest something like with JP. He's got a few weeks left to show something; to give us some reason why we shouldn't draft a replacment RB. He's good and I think could be great. But, maybe not here, I just don't know. Of our skill players, I'd put the biggest question mark on him.

But, I think we can all agree on a few things. The O line is improving. JP looks like a real QB. Evans is a good receiver. Our DE's are pretty good. The 2 rookie safeties have had a serious trial by fire and should only get better. Clements can play, if he wants to and we pay him. The coaches have given stability and a cohesion to the team (now they just need to get their head out of their conservative asses at times). The refs still hate us.

It hurts so much cause we all had SB on our minds this year and knew they would make the playoffs. No one predicted the Bills to just improve and not make the playoffs.

How did SD get so good, could have something to do with drafting so high for so many years, and hitting the QB jackpot when they fleeced the Giants over in the Eli Manning deal, they got a better QB and some picks for a decent QB (at best) who did not want to play for them

People make it sound like SD and Cinncy are teams that have been successful every year and never had down years.

As for the typical, "I have been waiting 10 years for them to rebuild" comments, if you want to enjoy football again, you have to throw that thought out the window and remember that this is Marv and DJ's FIRST year in charge and it will take more then 1 year to fix the mess TD left behind. When you can get past that, you will be able to notice a much improved tem that looks like they will be competitive again soon

It hurts so much cause we all had SB on our minds this year and knew they would make the playoffs. No one predicted the Bills to just improve and not make the playoffs.

How did SD get so good, could have something to do with drafting so high for so many years, and hitting the QB jackpot when they fleeced the Giants over in the Eli Manning deal, they got a better QB and some picks for a decent QB (at best) who did not want to play for them

People make it sound like SD and Cinncy are teams that have been successful every year and never had down years.

As for the typical, "I have been waiting 10 years for them to rebuild" comments, if you want to enjoy football again, you have to throw that thought out the window and remember that this is Marv and DJ's FIRST year in charge and it will take more then 1 year to fix the mess TD left behind. When you can get past that, you will be able to notice a much improved tem that looks like they will be competitive again soon

856560[/snapback]

LOL...this is a good post though....this is a young team that despite needing more talant has been extremely competitve against better teams in the league this year...just as the players are growing into the system..the coaches are learning about the make up of this team, who can do what, and are trying to find the best game plan for success & development; which is not an easy task...if they can play like they have through the rest of the season and have a smart and good offseason...in 2007 we will see a playoff team

They're still only 2 games out of a WC spot with 4 to play...KC and Denver both lost.

The season ain't over. Granted, there are five AFC teams at 7-5, but it ain't over. Buffalo has three very winnable games coming up, and by the time they play Baltimore on New Year's Eve the Ravens probably won't have anything to play for.

Remaining schedule for WC contenders:

KC -- Baltimore, @SD, @Oakland, Jacksonville (1-3?)

Denver -- @SD, @Arizona, Cinci, San Fran (2-2?)

Cinci -- Oakland, @Indy, @Denver, Pitt (2-2?)

Jets -- Buffalo, @Minnesota, @Miami, Oakland (2-2?)

Jacksonville -- Indy, @Tennessee, New England, @KC (1-3?)

All I'm saying is that there are certainly possibilities for a 9-7 Bills team to get into the playoffs. I'd like to see where 8-7 puts them three weeks from now.

First things first -- all Bills' fans must root for the following teams next week:

Buffalo (duh)

Baltimore

San Diego

Indy

Oakland

You gotta BILLIEVE.

I had no idea that Marv and Company have been in place for ten years.

I've said it before; you can only ever appreciate 13-3 after you live through some 3-13s. Only there is more to hope for now. Suddenly, being down in the fourth quarter is something we believe we can overcome. Suddenly, people have faith in our quarterback to make the critical throws, even after he's thrown some ducks. Suddenly, we game plan better, and protect the quarterback better, and score in the red zone better...regardless of what DeLuca says.

It's hard, but it's been harder.

You know what's really hard? To be humble. Especially when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror. I get better looking each day.  To know me is to love me. Well I must be a helluva man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble. But I'm doing the best that I can.

856397[/snapback]

I agree w/ a lot of what you say but it's so frustrating that the Jets are probably going to make the Playoffs w/ a first year coach. Last week some posters were writing about the Playoffs and how we would beat the Jets and the Titans easily and now we are obviously not making the Playoffs. I hope we beat Jets but I personally think their coach is purely better than ours. Look what he's done w/ that team e.g. beating the Patriots at home, 7 wins, etc.. They seem like the Patriots at the beginning of their run, playing tough and winning games and not beating themselves. I am honestly worried that they are going to dominate the division for the next five years assuming a Patriots dropoff.