This Was Quite The Confusing Game

Bill from NYC

1) Great call by Jauron to go for it on 4th down in the 1st Quarter.

2) Strange move by Jauron to run out the half with over a minute left and timeouts.

3) Great call by Jauron to punt late in the 4th (hey, it worked).

4) The line looked better today, but we had problems running.

5) The decimated Texans set records against us, but we won.

6) Schobel and Tripplet had sacks. Kelsay was in there a lot, but it felt like we had no pass rush.

7) Whitner was bad, and I mean truly awful, yet he had 1 clutch tackle. He is starting to concern me just a wee bit.

8) JP made big time progress today. He got banged up a little too, and hung in there. Good showing for him, and of course Evans. The catch by Peerless was perfect. Parrish is.......never mind.

9) We gave up a ton of passes, yet I came away thinking that Nate had a good game.

10) It will take me a while to figure this game out. :doh:

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Responses by the numbers:

4) the pass protection was superb -- though I wonder how much of that can be attributed to the Texans' lack of rush. They did manage to send a blitzer in regularly and it seemed like Thomas was able to pick him up most of the time, save for the impressive leapfrog play.

6) One thing I noticed was that even when there was a rush, these guys just didn't get their hands up. It's something they really need to start doing to create opportunities to bat and grab down passes.

7) Whitner was picked on early and often today. I noted the clutch tackle but he needs to go back to class for a bit; he definitely got schooled today and was out os position on a regular basis.

8) JP really showed me something today. It was as exhilarating a QB performance as I've seen post-Jimbo.

9) Nate was everywhere today. Let's face it, Johnson and Moulds are good and were going to do some damage. And our problems defending the run translate to problems dealing with screens and other passes to the backs.

10) We came from behind, won, took some risks and gave the kid the opportunity to make it happen. I'm hoping when we look back on this one it's seen as the game that got JP on track.

I know it was "just the Texans" but we need those wins, badly -- especially wins of this nature that are inspiring.

Always like reading your football posts. Go Bills, indeed!

the fact that we had a true 4th quarter comeback led by the QB...  that's point #1 right there.  Say what you want about JP, but we haven't had an outright comeback victory like that in YEARS.

842488[/snapback]

The last time was when Bledsoe threw that perfect pass to Eric Moulds against the Jets in the home opener. It was DB's first game.

Heh, I had to bring it up :pirate:

Sorry to infect this thread with a DB reference :doh:

The last time was when Bledsoe threw that perfect pass to Eric Moulds against the Jets in the home opener.  It was DB's first game.

Heh, I had to bring it up :pirate:

Sorry to infect this thread with a DB reference  :doh:

842496[/snapback]

yeah, um, we lost that game in overtime.

Whitner had a horrible 1st half, but a stellar 2nd half. It was weird indeed. I was worried too but then the worry settled once he stopped giving up contain, covered some guys and made some nice hits later on.

842492[/snapback]

Don't really know the answer but maybe they made an adjustment or two. As for whitner , he could be running up against the rookie wall(number of games and length of season)??

I agree with you, this was a tough game to figure out. Great win, but I'm just left scratching my head.

The O-line did great in pass blocking but we couldn't open up a hole for the running game to save our lives. Huh?

The defense gives up 180+ yards to a lousy rushing offense. Carr is picking us apart seemingly at will. But we don't allow them to score in the 2nd half? Huh?

We punt on 4th down at the end of the game? And we get the ball back anyway and win? Huh?

I'm done asking questions.

I guess the defence gets credit because they did their job when it counted and din't give up more the 14 points (and none in the second half) even thought they allowed the Texans to have a great day on the ground (I believe one of the best in their history) and allowed Carr to complete 22 straight passes. They only put up 5-6 total yards less then Buffalo this week. Buffalos offence won the game this week thanks to a couple of key plays from the defence. But whatever, a win is a win and this was a good one in my mind.

I myself felt like yesterday was "opposite day" when you compare it to what we saw the week before.

In Indy, we run but can't pass- here we pass but can't run. Last week, we get great field position but can't score touchdowns- here we get sucky field position, but score 3 touches. I

n Indy, the defense plays great all day, but can't get a stop when they need it. Here, the defense makes Carr and company look all-world for most of the game- then they stop them- twice!- when they really have to.

Which Bills team are we anyway?

Whitner had a horrible 1st half, but a stellar 2nd half. It was weird indeed. I was worried too but then the worry settled once he stopped giving up contain, covered some guys and made some nice hits later on.

842492[/snapback]

1/2 time adjustments ?

The last time was when Bledsoe threw that perfect pass to Eric Moulds against the Jets in the home opener.  It was DB's first game.

Heh, I had to bring it up ;)

Sorry to infect this thread with a DB reference  :)

842496[/snapback]

We lost that game on a KR in overtime.....However the very next week we beat Minnesota in overtime after DB tied it up in regulation. In overtime, DB threw a picture perfect pass to Price who ran it down for a TD.