49ers leaving San Francisco! No Joke!

Draconator

It's the teams moving closer to the $.

People in other areas don't realize that San Jose is bigger than SF. San Jose is the 11th largest city in the country with about 1 million people.  SF has about 750K and Oakland has about 300K.

830593[/snapback]

Makes sense...Maybe they can change their name to the Wintel Wolves.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I would imagine the majority of people here could care less if the Olympics came here or not. It would mean lots of traffic and money on venues that will never be used by anyone again or a small minority. The best proposal I heard was to use Stanford as the venue and build a new stadium, but they just got a new one.

San Francisco does not need the Olympics to announce it's arrival to the world.

831050[/snapback]

I need the Olympics to come to SF in 2016, so we can rent our house for $30,000 a day, and retire quite comfortably! :P

Living here in San Jose, I just found out about this while I was at work. I had just left the SJ airport on freeway 101 and past the big marquee at Paramount's Great America, the sign was reading "Home of the San Francisco 49'ers in 2012". My first thought was :rolleyes: .

Now anything could happen 5 years from now, but this would benefit a lot of Niner fans who live as far west as Santa Cruz and as far south as Gilroy, not to mention the thousands of fans in San Jose alone.

I just wonder what will happen to Candlestick Park. Kind of sad considering all the historic moments there: the '62 series between the Giants & Yankees, the '89 earthquake just before Game 3 of the A's-Giants series, "The Catch", the first NFL game without a punt between the 49'ers & Bills, all the many playoff games played there, and the last concert played by The Beatles.

I just wonder what will happen to Candlestick Park. Kind of sad considering all the historic moments there: the '62 series between the Giants & Yankees, the '89 earthquake just before Game 3 of the A's-Giants series, "The Catch", the first NFL game without a punt between the 49'ers & Bills, all the many playoff games played there, and the last concert played by The Beatles.

831508[/snapback]

If the Montreal Forum, the most historic sports arena in the history of sports this side of Yankee Stadium, could be torn down, and seats with Stanley Cup Banners auctioned off, Candlestick Park can be made landfill no problem.

(And yes, they did auction off the original Stanley Cup banners that hung from the rafters. The Bell Centre was too big for the old banners, so they made new, bigger banners when the Canadians moved.)

Sounds like they're talking again

832245[/snapback]

- Sen. Feinstein called York and Newsom into her office, to start talks again.

- Nancy Pelosi called York to tell him that moving the 49ers out of S.F. isn't really a good thing and that she'll be involved if York moves ahead with Santa Clara stadium plans.

- City Councilman Mark Leno is going to introduce legislation making it illegal for a team to use the name "San Francisco" for their team if they play outside of the city limits.

This is gonna get ugly. This is fun!

- Sen. Feinstein called York and Newsom into her office, to start talks again.

- Nancy Pelosi called York to tell him that moving the 49ers out of S.F. isn't really a good thing and that she'll be involved if York moves ahead with Santa Clara stadium plans.

- City Councilman Mark Leno is going to introduce legislation making it illegal for a team to use the name "San Francisco" for their team if they play outside of the city limits.

This is gonna get ugly.  This is fun!

832408[/snapback]

As I recall, Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T Park was voted down 3 times before Willie Brown came along and got it done - on time, under budget, and w/out public funding.

Where's Willie when ya need him?

(Oh yeah, that's right....term limits! ;) )

Wow. Im speechless. I really cant believe that.

Edit: Reading further, it says Santa Clara is about 30 miles from San Fran. That would be like the Bills "moving" to Batavia. Not as much of a big deal as I originally thought.

830408[/snapback]

ever driven in the bay area? that is at least an hour commute. ok i'm just splitting hairs, but still.

I live in Rochester and im about 70-80 miles from Orchard Park. The article says Santa Clara is about 30 miles away from San Fran. So tell me how it is like the Bills moving to Rochester?  ;)

831104[/snapback]

The point isn't about mileage, it's about commute times, and another city taking the team. Orchard Park isn't a threat to Buffalo as the main city in Erie county/Western New York. However, if pro franchises start moving to Rochester ...

While Rochester is still regional to Buffalo (as is Santa Clara to SF), it can clearly be a competitor. As much as we want regional support for the Bills, they are still the BUFFALO Bills.

Unlike the Buffalo area, it is not rural between SF and SJ. The whole stretch along 101 is built up. The only way you can tell which city you are in is from the road signs.

Traffic reports go 24/7 here. It covers an area fro SJ toSanta Rosa and from SF to the Central Valley.

As I recall, Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T Park was voted down 3 times before Willie Brown came along and got it done - on time, under budget, and w/out public funding.

Where's Willie when ya need him?

(Oh yeah, that's right....term limits! ;) )

832553[/snapback]

Term limits, or he found another 30 something Executive Assistant with great legs, and she's having his 34th love child. :lol:

Why not just move to Kezar?  (Now where did I leave my cane?)

832821[/snapback]

Ya know, if the 49ers redid Kezar, it would be a kick-ass stadium, but no parking, and I MEAN NO PARKING! (Parked my car at a McDonalds to see if Kezar Pub was showing Wrestlmania 20. When I went back to repark my car, it had already been towed. Damn McDonalds Parking Nazi's!)