49ers leaving San Francisco! No Joke!

Draconator

I will admit that when this broke, the media was like, "We just had a 10.0 earthquake". It was really intense the way it was worded, and yep. I fell for the media hype.

This isn't posturing for a new stadium at Candestick. There just isn't the room for what it looks like the 49ers want. A stadium and community.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the banner headline when I got to the BART this morning and I was shocked at first, then I realized what was really going on. The city needs this as part of the Olympic bid. They lose the 49ers and the support and that is over. They are on the phone as I type this, I'll wager. I still think the A's will stay in Oakland. Another article in the Chronicle today exposed the folly of moving to the area of Fremont they are looking at. Again, it's all posturing. What next? The Sharks to Vacaville?

I know many fans up in my area (north bay, Sonoma County) that are season ticket holders that will be canceling. They already drive an hour and half to see the game, this move adds another 30-45 minutes to the drive, let alone traffic will probably be pretty bad down in that area when a game gets out (not that it is great where they are now though).

Good move for the niners though, they need a new stadium. :doh:

The equivalent would not be the Bills moving to Batavia.  It would be the Bills moving to Rochester.  Or the Bears moving to Milwaukee.

830487[/snapback]

Before Chicago got the "Flyin' Saucer"... Didn't the Bears say they were thinking of moving to Gary, Indiana...

Effing Gary? :doh::(:doh:

Mayor Daly said: "Fine, go ahead and move."

This is probably posturing on the 49ers side to see if they can hold San Fran "hostage?"

Call their bluff San Fran... And if they move to another part of the Bay area, big effing deal... Don't cities have enough to deal with than these corporate hijackings?...

I like the Santa Clara option. It's nice down there. Weather would be better too. Candlestick is a pain to get at. I hate having to go over there. My wife has a spinster aunt that we have to go see sometimes and the SF airport is there as well. Both can be a nightmare to get to crossing the Bay bridge.

I know many fans up in my area (north bay, Sonoma County) that are season ticket holders that will be canceling. They already drive an hour and half to see the game, this move adds another 30-45 minutes to the drive, let alone traffic will probably be pretty bad down in that area when a game gets out (not that it is great where they are now though).

Good move for the niners though, they need a new stadium.  :P

830792[/snapback]

South Bay is a bigger market than north bay. The season tickets cancalled by people in north bay should not be an issue, people in south bay will pick them up in no time.

I think traffic will actually be better in Santa Clara. There're more highways (I-680, I-880, I-101, I-237, I-85, I-87) in Santa Clara than Candlestick. There're also more public transportations there.

stuckincincy- yeah that land is valuable and probably massively overpriced. Any land out here is. If they move to Santa Clara and the city tears that stadium down, there will be high rise condos all over the place. Although, I could see them building a lot of low income housing there too. the city would make a lot more than what they do in rent for the stadium now.

stuckincincy- yeah that land is valuable and probably massively overpriced. Any land out here is. If they move to Santa Clara and the city tears that stadium down, there will be high rise condos all over the place. Although, I could see them building a lot of low income housing there too. the city would make a lot more than what they do in rent for the stadium now.

830940[/snapback]

Thanks, that's what I figured. Any economic impact from the 'niners moving or leaving outright would be like a mosquito bite that clears up in a day or so.

No way the NFL could extort 'em.

The only problem is that this collapses the Olympic bid for SF. The mayor is really into moving forward with that. I think they should build a stadium down by PacBell, but that would make too much sense. It would also cost about 1 billion $$ and require lots of public money and that doesn't fly out here. See Oakland, A's and Fremont for reference.

The only problem is that this collapses the Olympic bid for SF. The mayor is really into moving forward with that. I think they should build a stadium down by PacBell, but that would make too much sense. It would also cost about 1 billion $$ and require lots of public money and that doesn't fly out here. See Oakland, A's and Fremont for reference.

830973[/snapback]

My personal opinion about Olympic venues is that they are pushed for by some very selfish, egotistical kingpins who like to use other folks money to shine their personal star.

My personal opinion about Olympic venues is that they are pushed for by some very selfish, egotistical kingpins who like to use other folks money to shine their personal star.

830983[/snapback]

Agreed. I would imagine the majority of people here could care less if the Olympics came here or not. It would mean lots of traffic and money on venues that will never be used by anyone again or a small minority. The best proposal I heard was to use Stanford as the venue and build a new stadium, but they just got a new one.

San Francisco does not need the Olympics to announce it's arrival to the world.

Agreed. I would imagine the majority of people here could care less if the Olympics came here or not. It would mean lots of traffic and money on venues that will never be used by anyone again or a small minority. The best proposal I heard was to use Stanford as the venue and build a new stadium, but they just got a new one.

San Francisco does not need the Olympics to announce it's arrival to the world.

831050[/snapback]

I enjoyed them when, save the communists, they were amateur competitions. Today's pro athletes, the sponsorships, those grating "up close and personal" features to me add up to be just another cheesy Hollywood production.

I do watch the opening ceremonies at the foreign venues. The last few US presentations IMO were beyond banal...glorified SB halftime shows.

The equivalent would not be the Bills moving to Batavia.  It would be the Bills moving to Rochester.  Or the Bears moving to Milwaukee.

830487[/snapback]

I live in Rochester and im about 70-80 miles from Orchard Park. The article says Santa Clara is about 30 miles away from San Fran. So tell me how it is like the Bills moving to Rochester? :P

South Bay is a bigger market than north bay. The season tickets cancalled by people in north bay should not be an issue, people in south bay will pick them up in no time.

I think traffic will actually be better in Santa Clara. There're more highways (I-680, I-880, I-101, I-237, I-85, I-87) in Santa Clara than Candlestick. There're also more public transportations there.

830897[/snapback]

While that is true, it still sucks for many fans up my way.

For me, if i was a fan, i would still make the drive.

Breaking news locally here in S.F.

To summize, 49ers owners John York and SF Mayor Gavin Newsome have confirmed that talks for a new 49ers stadium have broken off, and York informed Newsome that he will move the 49ers out of San Francisco. 

Most likely location is Santa Clara, near San Jose, but Los Angeles has been mentioned as choice number 2 if Santa Clara doesn't work. 

Will get links soon.

830405[/snapback]

Big deal, Santa Clara isn't that much further south than Candlestick/Monster park.