How Perfect Was The "Ref" Fumble

I don't know what does. This team cannot not even get out of their own way. That ref created one more turnover than our entire defense has made over the past two weeks. Wow, is this team exposing how many holes they have or what?!

This is getting really difficult to stomach. After sitting out in the rain the entire day hoping to see something positive, I just found myself laughing my ass off after that last JP fumble. It was absolutely perfect. THese penalties the Bills keep taking are inexcusable. Who was called on hitting Brady after he slid - (Kelsey)? He should have been benched for the rest of the entire game NO QUESTIONS ASKED!! This team is just brain dead and a message needs to be sent.

THe season is now officially over so do whatever you have to do to send a message. At this point, does it really matter if they win another game? If Nall starts in 4 weeks so be it. This team is a loooooooong way away from being good.

Everything that I feared about Dick Jauron after watching him in Chicago is coming true. All the things Chicago fans said for years are being echoed right here in Buffalo.

I need more Sabres games scheduled for Sunday nights like last year.

that Kelsay penalty pisses me off about how they protect the QB too much...Kelsay was into a tackling dive when Brady decided to sit down....I do not know how they expect players that are going all out to stop in mid flight...when I first saw the "late hit" I thought it was a terrible play on kelsay...after seeing the replay I am not so sure how bad it really was

I don't know what does. This team cannot not even get out of their own way. That ref created one more turnover than our entire defense has made over the past two weeks. Wow, is this team exposing how many holes they have or what?!

This is getting really difficult to stomach. After sitting out in the rain the entire day hoping to see something positive, I just found myself laughing my ass off after that last JP fumble. It was absolutely perfect. THese penalties the Bills keep taking are inexcusable. Who was called on hitting Brady after he slid - (Kelsey)? He should have been benched for the rest of the entire game NO QUESTIONS ASKED!! This team is just brain dead and a message needs to be sent.

THe season is now officially over so do whatever you have to do to send a message. At this point, does it really matter if they win another game? If Nall starts in 4 weeks so be it. This team is a loooooooong way away from being good.

Everything that I feared about Dick Jauron after watching him in Chicago is coming true. All the things Chicago fans said for years are being echoed right here in Buffalo.

I need more Sabres games scheduled for Sunday nights like last year.

813917[/snapback]

that Kelsay penalty pisses me off about how they protect the QB too much...Kelsay was into a tackling dive when Brady decided to sit down....I do not know how they expect players that are going all out to stop in mid flight...when I first saw the "late hit" I thought it was a terrible play on kelsay...after seeing the replay I am not so sure how bad it really was

813938[/snapback]

Agreed... And Kelsay also played the game of his life yesterday. He was a monster against the run like I have never seen from him before. Generated a good consistent pass rush too. I was actually happy with the DLine yesterday. Now the LB's and DB's on the other hand....

i agree with you in that the ref causing JP to fumble fits perfectly into where this team is at right now.

good things happen to good teams. stuff like that happens to the Bills.

other than that, the thought of benching kelsay over one penalty that was marginally his fault and running the coach out of town 6 games into his tenure, is a little ridiculous

813938[/snapback]

Your right, they protect kickers and QBs way too much

Marsha just sat down on the freakin field!!!!!!!!! JP should try that, anytime someone gets close, just sit down, this way if they attempt to come near you, its a penalty.

I guess we also have to realise it is Marsha and the pats so if a Bills defender breathes to hard around him, its a 15 yarder.

Your right, they protect kickers and QBs way too much

Marsha just sat down on the freakin field!!!!!!!!! JP should try that, anytime someone gets close, just sit down, this way if they attempt to come near you, its a penalty.

I guess we also have to realise it is Marsha and the pats so if a Bills defender breathes to hard around him, its a 15 yarder.

814074[/snapback]

i had hoped brady wouldn't get up when he was pancaked to his back on the sack. however, the fletcher/kelsay penalty was the proper call and about as dumb a play as you see during the entire nfl season. it might be understandable because they were playing hard, but it was dumb.

how do you expect tacklers to stop themselves in mid tackle, kelsay clearly went for the tackle before Brady began to sit...dierdorf said it was clearly 2 seconds later...I completely disagree...I understand the call had to be made, but it doesnt mean I agree with the rule of protecting the QB that much

i had hoped brady wouldn't get up when he was pancaked to his back on the sack.  however, the fletcher/kelsay penalty was the proper call and about as dumb a play as you see during the entire nfl season.  it might be understandable because they were playing hard, but it was dumb.

814078[/snapback]

if a qb is running down the field and slides feet first, thats one thing.

but when a QB is scrambling around the backfield and decides to SIT DOWN in the middle of a bunch of guys swarming him, thats a little different.

also, I remember a couple of plays (against Miami and the Bengals i think) where Brady actually threw the ball while sitting down(after tripping).

i do understand the call though, but i also feel that if Kelsay is going to hit him and take the penalty, he shouldve knocked Brady out of the game.

how do you expect tacklers to stop themselves in mid tackle, kelsay clearly went for the tackle before Brady began to sit...dierdorf said it was clearly 2 seconds later...I completely disagree...I understand the call had to be made, but it doesnt mean I agree with the rule of protecting the QB that much

814082[/snapback]

ok--i'm with you. you think the rule is too stringent, but given the rule, it was the correct call. fair enough.

here's how i figure it. i scream holding on every frigging play when the pats are protecting brady. i swear i saw mulrooney (sp? but who cares anyways) grab a face mask on hargrove on his runback, or what i like to call the special-teams-breakdown play. but when i see a qb sit down, i see fletcher cover him, and then kelsay hit the guy--and i'm forced to scream obscenities at the top of my g-d lungs about the stupidity of the team i root for, well, i figure then everyone else can see him. last week, i think shoebel got popped for sacking kitna on a helmet to helmet hit. that, i thought, was indicative of overofficiating and overprotecting the qb. i watched the kelsay penalty 3 or 4 times on replay yesterday, and 100% of the time felt it was a dumb play. i'll grant you that maybe it was a continuation of the flow of the play, but imho he could have avoided the hit to brady.

and dierdorf is an a-hole, so screw him.

I really don't see how anyone can defend the Kelsay penalty. There is no way he was in the process of tackling Brady. Brady sat down and waited for the defenders to touch him. That was probably the biggest bonehead play I have seen in years.

Kelsay should have been torn a new you-know-what.

I really don't see how anyone can defend the Kelsay penalty. There is no way he was in the process of tackling Brady. Brady sat down and waited for the defenders to touch him. That was probably the biggest bonehead play I have seen in years.

Kelsay should have been torn a new you-know-what.

814121[/snapback]

Exactly - I don't know what the rest of the people on this board were watching - he came in WAY after Brady sat down - stop defending the idiot's on this team when they make mistakes week after week after week - it's pathetic

Exactly - I don't know what the rest of the people on this board were watching - he came in WAY after Brady sat down - stop defending the idiot's on this team when they make mistakes week after week after week - it's pathetic

814173[/snapback]

i think if we were hanging with them, giving them all they could handle, and playing reasonably well across the board, i'd have been ticked about the penalty because it gives the other team something they really don't deserve or need. it's a boneheaded play int hat scenario as well. but when the game is just one giant mess, it is absolutely maddening. as far as being ripped a new one, i was watching the game on television so I have no clue what was said by the coaches.

i go back to my original thoughts for this year:

be competitive.

play hard.

improve over the season.

i was feeling it for a while, even telling myself with a couple games going the other way, we'd have a winning season here. now....well, it's too soon after the pats game to be objective.

814173[/snapback]

Yep. Watching the play from section 238, I saw Brady sit down, then waited to see one of the defenders run up and tap him on the shoulder or helmet to make it official that he was down. Instead I saw three defenders try to make a pancake out of Brady. If Brady was trying to get back up, I could see taking a more agressive approach, but it was obvious he was waiting for someone to touch him.

Given that play, is it now safe to write on this board that JP has a problem protecting the ball.

In the past, people have come out of the woodwork criticizing others for even suggesting this.

I always have had my doubts about JP, but we may as well see if he can get out of this funk. We really have nothing to lose at this point. We have a lot invested in him and may as well see what he can do the rest of the season. Of course, if his most recent performances are repeated over the next several weeks, I would not fault the coaching staff for starting Nall just to see what he can do.

I do not think that our problems are only the result of JP's poor play. The most glaring problem is and has been the offensive line. We have had at least two prior QBs with talent run out of town because of piss poor offensive line play. A top notch offensive line would help mask some of the other problems that we have and really help both the passing and running game.

I really hope that Marv, Dick et al finally do something about this in the off season. Enough is enough.

814082[/snapback]

Sometimes when I watch the replay at full speed, I am amazed that the guys have the time to react, much less time to think. Stuff out there is happening FAST. Someone time that play, Kelsay did not have anywhere near 2 seconds to put on the brakes.

Now a helmet to helmet tackle like they put on Royal, I believe, that can be prevented. But of course that wasn't called.

How much of a factor does the whistle have in all this? Does the whistle blow when his Marcias butt hits the ground? And can all the guys hear it?

I really hope that Marv, Dick et al finally do something about this in the off season.  Enough is enough.

814278[/snapback]

From a marketing standpoint, the team can't go into next year with the type of QB play it is getting now. It may be the end for JP even if he is still worth developing.

813938[/snapback]

Man I'm not dissing on you at all but I was at the 30 yard line on that play, Kelsay definitely fugged up huge on that one. Fletcher came in and bumped him first but Kelsay started moving just as Fletch was bumping him. In my opinion and I could be wrong it appeared to be completely avoidable.

How much of a factor does the whistle have in all this? Does the whistle blow when his Marcias butt hits the ground? And can all the guys hear it?

814284[/snapback]

There was no whistle; I watched the replay, and the ref didn't blow the play dead until after the hit.

That's why I don't think the hit was cheap - when a QB slides feet first, the ref blows the whistle to end the play immediately. That didn't happen, so Brady is fair game in my book (as long as it's a tackle, and not a cheap show).