Just got the Voluntary Evac order

AKC

It's about 7 miles from our mountain house right now, with a big ridge to cross to get to us.

Not to be sensationalist at all but if this thing goes over the San Emigdio Mountains and gets all the way into Pine Mountain tonight, the video footage would be pretty spectacular. We're up betwen 5000 and 8900 feet, densely forested with 4 pine species and mountain oak, some trees as big as 140-150 feet high. No precipitation for maybe 5 or 6 weeks and there's probably very little water underground. Dry trees, a fire they can't get control of and just enough wind to keep this thing moving.

Luckily the insurance company- for the second year in a row- allowed us to bump our homeowners policy this morning.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be safe, sir.

787718[/snapback]

No worries there- I'm in Santa Monica right now. We have a friend staying up there and she's just loaded everything in her truck that we can't replace. The bummer is for all our friends who live there full time.

It's about 7 miles from our mountain house right now, with a big ridge to cross to get to us.

Not to be sensationalist at all but if this thing goes over the San Emigdio Mountains and gets all the way into Pine Mountain tonight, the video footage would be pretty spectacular. We're up betwen 5000 and 8900 feet, densely forested with 4 pine species and mountain oak, some trees as big as 140-150 feet high. No precipitation for maybe 5 or 6 weeks and there's probably very little water underground. Dry trees, a fire they can't get control of and just enough wind to keep this thing moving.

Luckily the insurance company- for the second year in a row- allowed us to bump our homeowners policy this morning.

787717[/snapback]

What does your policy cover now?

Thanks to all of you for the concern-

Did you get the wine out?  :P

787733[/snapback]

Funny you say that because the week bfore last I got 70% completed on the new walk-in wine cellar, just a 500 bottle cellar but perfect for up there. Our friend staying there is a white wine drinker but I told her to grab a few of the best bordeaux's I've got there in a Vinotemp to give to a neighbor who will have at least a slight appreciation for them.

What does your policy cover now?

787732[/snapback]

We bought a house that was built in the late 1980's and it was hardly what I'd call well-built. We've added a lot to it, but in reality the insurance would do more than bring that back.

It's weird living out here having grown up in Rochester.

Last year with all the fires in the SFV, it looked like Mordor from Lord of the Rings. Fire lines all along the hillsides, which were glowing red and ash everywhere...on the streets, in the trees, in the air, etc.

Good luck. Last time I checked the fire was like 40% contained.

I don't care if the upstairs burns, but I am going to be one little pissed doggie if the shot bar in the basement gets ruined. ;)

787771[/snapback]

Referencing The Dean's Room as "the shot bar in the basement" might be grounds for some form of liver punishment. Quarters?

Good luck buddy! If need be, I'll be down with a bottle of tequila to help ease the pain.

787887[/snapback]

You Canucks might be of sounder minds than I thought- you always douse a fire with Tequila because using Mescal can lead to SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES!!!!!