Extremely Disappointed

i've been to a dozen or so games in my life (i live a few hours away), mostly on the ends in the 100 or 200 sections and there is definitely a very noticable difference between the crowd in those sections and in the upper decks. i don't know what percent of the fans in the upper deck are season ticket holders, but i doubt that it's more than 30 percent, which makes most of those fans avid fans in my opinion, not die hard fans. i also think the fact that we haven't had a winning team in a while keeps a lot of fans from following during the off season and training camp, so i bet a lot of people don't know some of the personnel and that kind of thing. i have also been disappointed in the overall intensity of the ralph before, but i really think it's mostly cause we haven't been doing much winning lately. the fans aren't as into it.

Sort of odd, I thought, was Willis (heading back to the huddle) raising and waving his arms, as if to say "Let's make some noise!".

But, hey Buster, you guys are on offense, so now is not the time to get crowd noise going.

Sometimes I wonder about ol' Willis...

Shame on all the asshats who levft with 5:00 in the fourth. Obviously they didn't watch Nootre Dame and NC State the day before. I told my buddy that my ass wasn't leaving that seat until it read 0:00. And I'm glad I didn't leave.

Fans. Hah.

785442[/snapback]

Same thing here...people started clearing out in the 4th and my girlfriend looked at me. I told her that I didn't drive 7 hours to watch 3.5 quarters of football. It could've ended better, but I'm glad I caught the whole game.

In the beginning of the game, the crowd noise level was very loud. It was a ROAR.

I really had no problems with the fans at all. Me? I cannot talk today (no voice).

Most around me were screaming at key points, and standing. I wish there were more key points!

Not saying you are wrong; this is just my perception from the TBD section. <_<

Threads like these pop up at the beginning of every season.

The Ralph is not as tough of a place to play as it used to be. I don't put that on the fans, I put it on the low quality of the teams and the lack of winning. If your team is not winning, screaming at the top of your lungs isn't going to will them to a victory. If you want to create a "rabid" atmosphere, you first have to put up some W's.

Now to the whole, "Am I a better fan if I stand up on 3rd down argument?" I have season tickets with my uncle, who has had them since the Ralph opened in 1973. Over that time he has probably missed 10 games total. He is one of the people who does not get up and scream on every defensive series. He doesn't necessarily mind if other people do it, but if someone in front of him is standing the whole game, blocking his view, he gets a bit agitated.

For those of you who attend one or two games a year, I understand that you want to make the most of the experience and scream like a maniac the entire game, you have every right to. At the same time, try to put yourself in the shoes of a 30-year season ticket holder who is sitting behind you. These people have paid good money to simply sit and watch the game and are not going to get drunk and intimidate the fans of opposing teams. I get up and scream on 3rd downs, but if someone points out to me that I am blocking their view and ruining their experience, I will stay seated and try to respect other people's enjoyment.

I can still scream and clap just as loud while sitting.

I'd also like to say that my uncle and I never leave games early, no matter what. To those fans who left early, and are mad at people like my uncle for not standing up on 3rd downs, I say you are hypocrites. To all those fans that stayed, I applaud you. Right after we recovered the onside kick, the rain really started coming down. The crowd started roaring, and it brought tears to my eyes. All of those people are the true fans.

Same thing here...people started clearing out in the 4th and my girlfriend looked at me.  I told her that I didn't drive 7 hours to watch 3.5 quarters of football.  It could've ended better, but I'm glad I caught the whole game.

785452[/snapback]

I have the same feeling about any sporting event I attend...If I spent money (sometimes, depending on the team, a lot of money) for tickets, beer, food, etc. I am going to stay until the game is OVER.

It pains me to see the people that leave the stadiums in the 4th quarter when their team is down, but you see it all the time. To tell you the truth, I was surprised I didn't see it in the 3rd quarter of the Jets-Phins game last week when the Jets were down 24-0.

There has been a changing of the guard in that respect.

During the "Greatest Comeback" game back in '93,the Bills were down 35-3,and very few people leff the game.

786138[/snapback]

Well, to be fair, that was the score very early in the 3rd quarter, and it was a playoff game. Very big difference.

This is not to say that I think it's okay to leave early. I think it sucks, especially the home opener.

Well, to be fair, that was the score very early in the 3rd quarter, and it was a playoff game.  Very big difference.

This is not to say that I think it's okay to leave early.  I think it sucks, especially the home opener.

786273[/snapback]

Pouring rain, wind, spouse and possibly children, traffic etc.

That people opt to leave early doesn't mean they don't support the club...

Yeah, the crowd did suck today.

The Ralph definitely isn't what it used to be.

Nobody was standing up in my section.

785198[/snapback]

Why do you need to stand to cheer? Please explain the science behind cheering becoming louder when you block the view of people behind you. I get as loud as anyone, but it drives me nuts when some idiot is standing with his back to the game motioning everyone to stand up! I used to be in a section where half the people stood up in the middle of a play and complained when someone asked them to stop ruining their view. I am so much happier to be in a section where people are enthusiastic AND considerate.

The football acumen of the crowd is proportionate to the amount of noise. The number of drunken idiots who knew nothing about football far outweighed the knowledgeable fans in the stands. Much like this board.

The Jets mostly used a "Sugar Huddle" yesterday. On most plays, the fans didn't make ANY noise until he stepped under center. By then it was too late.

The Jets mostly used a "Sugar Huddle" yesterday.  On most plays, the fans didn't make ANY noise until he stepped under center.  By then it was too late.

786326[/snapback]

Did they use Wyche's version? - I think he originated it in the pro game - the linemen's feet on the LOS, turned to the QB for instructions - then turned about, went into the stance, then the snap?

On the drive back today, I had plenty of time to think this issue over some more and I'm pretty sure that the wind had A LOT to do with toning down the volume of the fans.

I thought about it, because of all the times the Bills scored, I could barely hear "Shout" being played afterwards, and it certainly wasn't because of the people around me singing/cheering too loudly. I really think that the wind carried the sound, from an already poor sound system, right out of the stadium.

Did they use Wyche's version? - I think he originated it in the pro game  - the linemen's feet on the LOS, turned to the QB for instructions -  then turned about, went into the stance, then the snap?

786342[/snapback]

No - but close. That allowed them to get a look at the defense and not have to try and adjust when the crowd as at the loudest.

The Ralph is not as tough of a place to play as it used to be.  I don't put that on the fans, I put it on the low quality of the teams and the lack of winning.  If your team is not winning, screaming at the top of your lungs isn't going to will them to a victory.  If you want to create a "rabid" atmosphere, you first have to put up some W's.
I've had seasons since 90 and have only missed a couple of handfulls of games. IMO this is probably a little more than half the reason. More aggressive enforcement and severity of DWI laws, prohibiting the influx of items (mostly alcohol but believe it or not I used to bring in parts to make a homemade shelf that I set up on the wall in front of my seats; try that today) and the NFLs push to make stadium football a more family experience are other factors. [i have my views on the merits of these moves and I'm sure you(pl) do too but they have been discussed in nauseating detail in other threads. Don't start in this one please.]

However in regards to the topic, sadly in historic terms but hopeful in terms of present day factors I felt yesterday's was one of the the best crowds I've seen in the last 4 years.

Now to the whole, "Am I a better fan if I stand up on 3rd down argument?"  I have season tickets with my uncle, who has had them since the Ralph opened in 1973.  Over that time he has probably missed 10 games total.  He is one of the people who does not get up and scream on every defensive series.  He doesn't necessarily mind if other people do it, but if someone in front of him is standing the whole game, blocking his view, he gets a bit agitated.
I don't always stand but feel that others have the right to do so if they wish. Unfortunately, RWS's low walls contribute to this. [For comparison JR's walls are about 3 times as high.] Since the walls are so low the only way to SEE (not view via the Jumbotron) the field over the sideline crowd when the action is downfield or directly in front is to stand up. Photographers, security and other sideliners used to be forced to kneel to allow better viewing but this is no longer done. In fact the NYS Troopers on the sideline do NOTHING but watch the game and even worse wear their hats. Not sure if they are supposed to be doing anything or not but they don't. When the first three or four rows stand the domino effect requires everyone to do so.

For those of you who attend one or two games a year, I understand that you want to make the most of the experience and scream like a maniac the entire game, you have every right to.  At the same time, try to put yourself in the shoes of a 30-year season ticket holder who is sitting behind you.  These people have paid good money to simply sit and watch the game and are not going to get drunk and intimidate the fans of opposing teams.  I get up and scream on 3rd downs, but if someone points out to me that I am blocking their view and ruining their experience, I will stay seated and try to respect other people's enjoyment.  I can still scream and clap just as loud while sitting.
Again, a hotly debated subject. I personally stand, yell and scream with the best of them. I prefer that others do the yelling and screaming to enhance the home team advantage but it is their choice to refrain as much as it is mine to indulge. Not sure that standing significantly contributes to the noise.

I'd also like to say that my uncle and I never leave games early, no matter what.  To those fans who left early, and are mad at people like my uncle for not standing up on 3rd downs, I say you are hypocrites.  To all those fans that stayed, I applaud you.  Right after we recovered the onside kick, the rain really started coming down.  The crowd started roaring, and it brought tears to my eyes.  All of those people are the true fans.

786094[/snapback]

I've stayed to the (many times bitter) end for about 90% of the games I've attended, left about 2% early due to obligations and about 8% since I was so disgusted I didn't think the team deserved any fans to remain. Yesterday's exodus was not warranted IMO but the weather was probably as much of a factor as the game.

Why do you need to stand to cheer?  Please explain the science behind cheering becoming louder when you block the view of people behind you.  I get as loud as anyone, but it drives me nuts when some idiot is standing with his back to the game motioning everyone to stand up!  I used to be in a section where half the people stood up in the middle of a play and complained when someone asked them to stop ruining their view.  I am so much happier to be in a section where people are enthusiastic AND considerate.

786322[/snapback]

Ehh, just used to it I guess.