Why stats are for losers

buckeyebrian

Bills - 475 total yards, 169 rushing, 306 passing, 26 first downs, 33+ minutes of possession. NY- 256 total yards, 182, passing, 74 rushing, 15 first tdowns, 26+ minutes of possession. How did we lose to the Jets at home? We didn't take care of the football and we got no pressure on Pennnington. Losman needs to learn how to throw in the RWS winds. It looks like the game is still a little too fast for JB.

Bills - 475 total yards, 169 rushing, 306 passing, 26 first downs, 33+ minutes of possession.  NY- 256 total yards, 182, passing, 74 rushing, 15 first tdowns, 26+ minutes of possession.  How did we lose to the Jets at home?  We didn't take care of the football and we got no pressure on Pennnington.  Losman needs to learn how to throw in the RWS winds.  It looks like the game is still a little too fast for JB.

784605[/snapback]

One stat trumps all others: turnovers.

McGahee - Blocking 0 -1

Too bad the play that he completely wiffed his block was the most important one of the game.  But let's just ignore that and blame JP for the TD return.   :lol:

784658[/snapback]

Yes, Willis misses his block....but JP HAS to figure a way to hold onto the ball on those situations....

I have zero expectations for this team, even before today, I had no dreams of the playoffs. But to lose to a team at home like the Jets, who are not really that good to begin with, is frustrating.

So maybe now Holcomb's Arm can be satisified with JP's NUMBERS this week....I'm sure the Yards Per Attempt were well above JP's normal....so he can rejoice in that but the Bills LOST the game.

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS is 100% correct.

The offense didn't score when it needed to I mean the first 3 times in the red zone they came away with only 2 field goals.

The defense however was bad as well, it didn't get the job done. Didn't force any turnovers at all, let the Jets drive down the field when the Bills needed the 3 and out the most.

300+ Yards and he still needs to lear to throw in the RWS winds?

784796[/snapback]

well--when you throw two 6 yard passes in the flat waaaay high when there is no pressure on you in a crucial drive......you have to wonder.

The yards were misleading. He didnt have any killer instinct that a good QB needs....and he doesnt know how to close out a drive.

Yes--he threw a few beautiful passes...and his arm is plenty strong..but if you switched QBs we win by 17.

well--when you throw two  6 yard passes in the flat waaaay high when there is no pressure on you in a crucial drive......you have to wonder.

The yards were misleading. He didnt have any killer instinct that a good QB needs....and he doesnt know how to close out a drive.

Yes--he threw a few beautiful passes...and his arm is plenty strong..but if you switched QBs we win by 17.

784929[/snapback]

You don't count a must-have drive in 2:00 that covered 77 yards in the rain against the wind for a TD?

1-10-BUF23 (3:12) J.Losman left tackle to BUF 34 for 11 yards (D.Barrett).

1-10-BUF34 (3:01) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass deep middle to P.Price to NYJ 46 for 20 yards (A.Dyson). Caught at NYJ 47.

1-10-NYJ46 (2:38) (No Huddle) J.Losman pass incomplete short right to P.Price. Underthrown, receiver along sideline at NYJ 40.

2-10-NYJ46 (2:33) J.Losman sacked at 50 for -4 yards (V.Hobson).

3-14-50 (2:14) J.Losman pass deep middle to L.Evans to NYJ 33 for 17 yards (E.Coleman). Caught at NYJ 34.

1-10-NYJ33 (2:02) J.Losman pass short left to L.Evans to NYJ 16 for 17 yards (K.Rhodes, D.Barrett). Caught at NYJ 18.

1-10-NYJ16 (1:54) J.Losman pass incomplete short left to W.McGahee [D.Ball]. Receiver overthrown at NYJ 15, sideline. Thrown away after pressure by D.Ball.

2-10-NYJ16 (1:46) J.Losman pass short left to L.Evans to NYJ 7 for 9 yards (D.Coleman, D.Barrett). Caught in flat at NYJ 7.

3-1-NYJ7 (1:37) J.Losman pass incomplete short left to P.Price. Overthrown, receiver in rear left corner of end zone. Pressure on QB: D.Ball.

4-1-NYJ7 (1:25) (Shotgun)

PENALTY on BUF-J.Losman, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at NYJ 7 - No Play.

4-6-NYJ12 (1:25) (Shotgun) J.Losman right tackle for 12 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.

Bills - 475 total yards, 169 rushing, 306 passing, 26 first downs, 33+ minutes of possession.  NY- 256 total yards, 182, passing, 74 rushing, 15 first tdowns, 26+ minutes of possession.  How did we lose to the Jets at home?  We didn't take care of the football and we got no pressure on Pennnington.  Losman needs to learn how to throw in the RWS winds.  It looks like the game is still a little too fast for JB.

784605[/snapback]

All those big number and we lost by 8! Turnovers were the real story.

Losman needs to learn how to throw in the RWS winds. 

784605[/snapback]

Huh? Losman threw for 300+ yards and a TD in the "RWS winds" ... also for those at the game got to see a BEAUTY of a pass to I believe Peerless Price where in which Losman was throwing 50 yards INTO THE HORRIBLE WIND and overthrew Price by a couple of yards. The guy has got a rocket.

well--when you throw two  6 yard passes in the flat waaaay high when there is no pressure on you in a crucial drive......you have to wonder.

784929[/snapback]

Which QB do you propose the Bills switch to?

And what if that QB has one bad game in three appearances?

Who do you switch to then?

And then about that QB, what if he has a bad game after 2 good showings.

Switch him too?

Then who is quarterbacking the team?

Me? Cuz I'm probably not going to do that good, I'll be honest.

And I don't want to be a QB in the vicious hate the QB cycle of Bills fans.

784605[/snapback]

He threw the ball fine. JP was not the problem. Willis fanning on a block on a blind side blitz, that was a problem. Price dropping a TD pass, that was a problem. A defense that allowed a 6 minute drive in the 4th Q. for a TD when we were within a score, that was a problem. JP engineered a 77 yard drive in only two minutes to give us a chance and he did that in 20MPH winds in the rain. Can't throw in the RWS winds???? What game were you watching?

As for stats not meaning anything, three turnovers is a stat, isn't it? So is 0-2 in the redzone while the Jets were 2 for 2. 3 for 12 on third down is a stat. The stats, if you look at all of them, tell you exactly what happened in this game. We had too many drives stall around the 35-45 yard line due to a few mistakes and then we had one critical turnover due to a whiffed block. Add in a getting caught with our pants down a few times on defense and that was it.

If JP throws the ball as well as he did in this game for the rest of the year, we will win a lot of games.

Absolutely. I fart in the general direction of anyone who constantly refers to stats when discussing the game of football.

784898[/snapback]

How about someone who judiciously uses stats in context when discussing the game of football? Like perhaps Turnovers 3-0. Do they escape your farts general line of fire? <_<

Yes, Willis misses his block....but JP HAS to figure a way to hold onto the ball on those situations....

I have zero expectations for this team, even before today, I had no dreams of the playoffs.  But to lose to a team at home like the Jets, who are not really that good to begin with, is frustrating.

So maybe now Holcomb's Arm can be satisified with JP's NUMBERS this week....I'm sure the Yards Per Attempt were well above JP's normal....so he can rejoice in that but the Bills LOST the game.

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS is 100% correct.

784887[/snapback]

Tell me how he is to know that Willis missed on a blind side block? There is a reason they call it the blind side. This kind of thing happens in football, you either recover and try to win the game anyway or surrender to the fact that everytime things don't go your way you will lose. If the defense could have offered up a stop on that long 4th Q. drive, JP would have brought us right back in that game.

He took us 77 yards in two minutes and takes it in himself on 4th and 6 from the 12 in a run that would have made Steve Young proud.

I can't believe we have to defend JP tonight. Man, if you aren't excited about what this kid can do after watching him throw one missile after another, dead nuts on target, in the rain and wind then you just don't know a good thing when it hits you in the head.

I have been a skeptic about JP from day 1 but his performance today was something else. We have lots to work on all over the place but we have the tools on offense to be something special. Price holds on to that TD pass and Willis makes that block and all of a sudden, this board would be a JP love fest 24-7.

Was the loss so frustrating that some people forgot everything good they did in this game?

Huh? Losman threw for 300+ yards and a TD in the "RWS winds" ... also for those at the game got to see a BEAUTY of a pass to I believe Peerless Price where in which Losman was throwing 50 yards INTO THE HORRIBLE WIND and overthrew Price by a couple of yards. The guy has got a rocket.

785291[/snapback]

There was also one Price dropped that should have been six.

You don't count a must-have drive in 2:00 that covered 77 yards in the rain against the wind for a TD?

1-10-BUF23 (3:12) J.Losman left tackle to BUF 34 for 11 yards (D.Barrett).

1-10-BUF34 (3:01) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass deep middle to P.Price to NYJ 46 for 20 yards (A.Dyson). Caught at NYJ 47.

1-10-NYJ46 (2:38) (No Huddle) J.Losman pass incomplete short right to P.Price. Underthrown, receiver along sideline at NYJ 40.

2-10-NYJ46 (2:33) J.Losman sacked at 50 for -4 yards (V.Hobson).

3-14-50  (2:14) J.Losman pass deep middle to L.Evans to NYJ 33 for 17 yards (E.Coleman). Caught at NYJ 34.

1-10-NYJ33 (2:02) J.Losman pass short left to L.Evans to NYJ 16 for 17 yards (K.Rhodes, D.Barrett). Caught at NYJ 18.

1-10-NYJ16 (1:54) J.Losman pass incomplete short left to W.McGahee [D.Ball]. Receiver overthrown at NYJ 15, sideline. Thrown away after pressure by D.Ball.

2-10-NYJ16 (1:46) J.Losman pass short left to L.Evans to NYJ 7 for 9 yards (D.Coleman, D.Barrett). Caught in flat at NYJ 7.

3-1-NYJ7 (1:37) J.Losman pass incomplete short left to P.Price. Overthrown, receiver in rear left corner of end zone. Pressure on QB: D.Ball.

4-1-NYJ7 (1:25) (Shotgun)

PENALTY on BUF-J.Losman, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at NYJ 7 - No Play.

4-6-NYJ12 (1:25) (Shotgun) J.Losman right tackle for 12 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.

784934[/snapback]

Amen Kelly, Amen.

I think this the best play I have seen from JP since we drafted him. He was firing rockets on target for most of the day despited the conditions. That 77 yard drive was great. Those passes to Willis were tough, there was a DL guy he had to throw over but then he needed the ball to drop and in that wind, he couldn't do it. It like hitting a sand wedge, you need it up and down in a hurry, verrrrry tough shot.

Get this, people are bitching not because he couldn't lead a two minute TD drive at the end of the game but because he couldn't lead two TD drives in three minutes. If JP throws the ball that well the rest of the year, we will win a lot of games.

The offense didn't score when it needed to I mean the first 3 times in the red zone they came away with only 2 field goals.

The defense however was bad as well, it didn't get the job done. Didn't force any turnovers at all, let the Jets drive down the field when the Bills needed the 3 and out the most.

784915[/snapback]

Driving back to Syracuse after the game I had to listen to a bunch of hoople heads for 3 hours go on about how bad JP is and how he will never amount to anything and blah, blah, blah. So you see, its all JP's fault apparently.

Amen Kelly, Amen.

I think this the best play I have seen from JP since we drafted him.  He was firing rockets on target for most of the day despited the conditions.  That 77 yard drive was great.  Those passes to Willis were tough, there was a DL guy he had to throw over but then he needed the ball to drop and in that wind, he couldn't do it.  It like hitting a sand wedge, you need it up and down in a hurry, verrrrry tough shot.

Get this, people are bitching not because he couldn't lead a two minute TD drive at the end of the game but because he couldn't lead two TD drives in three minutes.  If JP throws the ball that well the rest of the year, we will win a lot of games.

785328[/snapback]

I don't want to discredit this argument since I believe JP showed a lot of improvements today & looks like(fingers crossed) he could develop the consistency needed to be 'very good'.

However, that TD drive realistically was in Junk time. I'm not taking it away from him but I don't feel we can use it as a full indicator of a clutch 77yard TD drive. Just as we ignored Culpeppers late drive last week, we should take JPs with perhaps a bit more realism.

Go JP!!

Go Bills!!

I don't want to discredit this argument since I believe JP showed a lot of improvements today & looks like(fingers crossed) he could develop the consistency needed to be 'very good'.

However, that TD drive realistically was in Junk time.  I'm not taking it away from him but I don't feel we can use it as a full indicator of a clutch 77yard TD drive.  Just as we ignored Culpeppers late drive last week, we should take JPs with perhaps a bit more realism.

Go JP!!

Go Bills!!

785337[/snapback]

Nonsense. The Jets were not in a prevent style defense and letting the Bills have the underneath stuff. They were right on their men, and Losman had to throw strikes to guys that were all well covered. I don't think there was an easy completion in the bunch.

no pressure? 1.5 minutes, not time outs, down by 8, terrible weather, still under 10 pro starts? yeah i guess there was no pressure.... <_<

784929[/snapback]

Nonsense. The Jets were not in a prevent style defense and letting the Bills have the underneath stuff. They were right on their men, and Losman had to throw strikes to guys that were all well covered. I don't think there was an easy completion in the bunch.

785346[/snapback]

Perhaps I came across too strong....I meant that the Jets D knew that we were in 'miracle' time & JPs drive was not going to be a game winner(a miracle following was the only way we could win).

That's why I said I didn't want to take anything away from JP...it was a top effort...it is just a bit erroneous to claim it as an awesome 'need' drive. The following drive was that.

Perhaps I came across too strong....I meant that the Jets D knew that we were in 'miracle' time & JPs drive was not going to be a game winner(a miracle following was the only way we could win). 

That's why I said I didn't want to take anything away from JP...it was a top effort...it is just a bit erroneous to claim it as an awesome 'need' drive.  The following drive was that.

785357[/snapback]

They were both need drives. In fact, I was surprised that the Jets weren't in more of a prevent defense. JP made four completions on that drive and all four were into tight coverage. It was a high pressure drive.

They were both need drives. In fact, I was surprised that the Jets weren't in more of a prevent defense. JP made four completions on that drive and all four were into tight coverage. It was a high pressure drive.

785362[/snapback]

Not to mention it was 4th and 6 from the 12 when he scored. The entire game was on the line on that play and that run of his showed me all I need to know about his determination. He needs plenty of work and experience but he has the tools. The whole team is still closer to a 5-11 squad than an 11-5 squad so we are in for a ride this year. It is starting to look like we finally have the tools though.

In all the breast beating, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, Roscoe's bust out game seems to have been lost among the caterwauling. Reed also did some nice work. I'd like to see the tight ends more involved but other than that, I think the WR corps is looking better than it has in years.

Not to mention it was 4th and 6 from the 12 when he scored.  The entire game was on the line on that play and that run of his showed me all I need to know about his determination. 

785368[/snapback]

Exactly. Last year a different QB throws a pass short of the first time. This year, JP makes the score happen. They really don't show the receivers working down field on TV, but my guess is they were doing sh--. Because on quite a few drop backs JP actually had time and scrambled around only to find nothing. Absolutely nothing. On that play, JP look determined to get the score and the spike and walk off the field looked like a guy frustrated that no one could get open, yet determined to get a score.

Excellent play. And again, more progress for our young team and QB.