Guess who just arrived?

Coach Tuesday

JDG.... I think your Losman meter needs adjustment... Why not let him start with a clean slate this year and see what the stats look like?

776821[/snapback]

Wow, I hardly realized that there would be so many fans of the Losman-o-meter!

I'm not giving Losman a clean slate because some people can't understand why on Earth Losman was benched last year. Its almost as if *every* NFL QB completes less than 50% of their passes in their second year, or goes through two straight games with a *combined* 150 yards.

More to the point, though, the best statistical analysis incorporates lots of available data. If Losman significantly outperforms his second-year stats, I'll go ahead and drop them. If he keeps playing like he did today, then including last-year's stats will just accentuate what is really going on....

JDG

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patience was rewarded. Lindell, Reed, Denney, Wire, you've named them.

It's beginning to look like our patience with the rehabbing Willis will bear fruit as well.

Hopefully we'll have the same patience with Spikes.

776728[/snapback]

Bingo! Patience is needed with some of these guys. Why develop them for 3-4 years and then let another team benefit from it?

Lindell - Ever since we got a new LS he has been much improved.

I has pleased to see the Bills re-sign Denney. He is solid against the run and can play inside if we need him to. Re-signing him was better than any of the other options out there at the time.

I was skeptical on the Josh Reed re-signing and we shall see if he continues to develop.

Wire - I think we all know he is in the team because of the emphasis on special teams.

Wow, I hardly realized that there would be so many fans of the Losman-o-meter!

I'm not giving Losman a clean slate because some people can't understand why on Earth Losman was benched last year.    Its almost as if *every* NFL QB completes less than 50% of their passes in their second year, or goes through two straight games with a *combined* 150 yards. 

More to the point, though, the best statistical analysis incorporates lots of available data.  If Losman significantly outperforms his second-year stats, I'll go ahead and drop them.  If he keeps playing like he did today, then including last-year's stats will just accentuate what is really going on....

JDG

776890[/snapback]

He's coming along slowly. Today was a "Trent Dilfer" day circa Ravens SB season. He did enough to win and rode the rest of the team to victory, which is better than doing just enough to lose.

You know what else is weird?  Today was a perfect example of LAST YEAR'S PLAN.  TD's plan last year was to win with defense, special teams and running the ball, and JP's job was just to not lose the game.  'Xactly what Jauron's formula seems to be.

Also, Mularkey finally got us a win.

776919[/snapback]

:lol: Good point! :)

Denney has long been underrated by BILLS' fans - mostly due to ignorance. He's been tough against the run and when he's rushed from the 3 spot he's put pressure on. He's actually one of the strongest guys on the roster.

Reed has suffered from playing with Drew Bledsoe - a QB who has no idea how to throw the ball underneath. He started questioning himself and his hands (which were ridiculously good in college). He's always been terrific at getting yards after first contact, but the schemes and QBs he's played with have SUCKED at getting him the ball in space.

Josh Reed will likely be somewhere else next season - and he'll likely end up looking like a football player.

Denney has long been underrated by BILLS' fans - mostly due to ignorance.  He's been tough against the run and when he's rushed from the 3 spot he's put pressure on.  He's actually one of the strongest guys on the roster.

Reed has suffered from playing with Drew Bledsoe - a QB who has no idea how to throw the ball underneath.  He started questioning himself and his hands (which were ridiculously good in college).  He's always been terrific at getting yards after first contact, but the schemes and QBs he's played with have SUCKED at getting him the ball in space.

776927[/snapback]

Agreed re: both, but it's not like either of them had a line of suitors and bidding wars in free agency. Both put a toe in the free agent water and quickly re-upped with the Bills. I think they've always been underrated by Bills fans, yes, but they also both have improved their games tremendously. Denney in particular is gonna make the Pro Bowl if he keeps this up. Unreal.

You know what else is weird?  Today was a perfect example of LAST YEAR'S PLAN.  TD's plan last year was to win with defense, special teams and running the ball, and JP's job was just to not lose the game.  'Xactly what Jauron's formula seems to be.

776919[/snapback]

Exactly. And that's why I'm loving Losman's play today. He did exactly what he had to do... manage the game and don't make mistakes. How many of his throws were throws just to get the ball away because a rusher was in his face? He looked good, made good decisions, and we got the win. It may not be spectacular play by the QB, but it's keeping us in the game and that's what matters most. Stats shmats.

He's coming along slowly.  Today was a "Trent Dilfer" day circa Ravens SB season.  He did enough to win and rode the rest of the team to victory, which is better than doing just enough to lose.

776917[/snapback]

Interesting point. NFL.com doesn't have game logs for 2000, so I can't compare, but it would be interesting to see how many sub-100 yard passing days Dilfer had for those Ravens.

The Bills have the League's best special teams, and it is just possible that our "rookie defense" just might be good. Of course, we benefited a lot from a patented Culpepper implosion today. I still expect our rookies to be burnt toast at times this season.

JDG

Exactly. And that's why I'm loving Losman's play today.  He did exactly what he had to do... manage the game and don't make mistakes.  How many of his throws were throws just to get the ball away because a rusher was in his face?  He looked good, made good decisions, and we got the win.  It may not be spectacular play by the QB, but it's keeping us in the game and that's what matters most.  Stats shmats.

776931[/snapback]

These were called swing passes and screens to WR's - a big difference from a check down to a RB because everyone else was covered. While you say that he "made good decisions", in fact, after the first few series' it seemed like the coaches were trying to keep Losman from having to make decisions - they were calling plays where you almost always would go with the first read.

Or to put it another way, if he only passed for 83 yards, how many good decisions could he possibly have made?

JDG

Or to put it another way, if he only passed for 83 yards, how many good decisions could he possibly have made?

JDG

776969[/snapback]

His QBR was 90.74 today.....that implies not too many bad decisions....no fumbles....2 sacks.

Your Losman-Meter goes up to.....

51.8% passing, 5.91ypa, 1.00 TD/INT, 67.15 Rating

*What are the stats at the moment in your Losman-Meter?....they are waaaay out*

His QBR was 90.74 today.....that implies not too many bad decisions....no fumbles....2 sacks.

Your Losman-Meter goes up to.....

51.8% passing, 5.91ypa, 1.00 TD/INT, 67.15 Rating

*What are the stats at the moment in your Losman-Meter?....they are waaaay out*

777068[/snapback]

I've taken Losman's relief appearances from his rookie season out of the meter.....

Otherwise, I tried to update it too quickly this afternoon, but I should have it right now...

JDG - Who is still surprised at the interest the Losman-meter is generating....

I've taken Losman's relief appearances from his rookie season out of the meter.....

Otherwise, I tried to update it too quickly this afternoon, but I should have it right now...

JDG - Who is still surprised at the interest the Losman-meter is generating....

777269[/snapback]

Hey, the Losman-Meter is a cool idea....which Bills fan isn't interested in his progress?

Personally I think you should simply have his career stats...after all, that is what he will eventually be judged upon & adding 3-5-32 & 1 INT isn't gonna change things too much.

*your QBR is incorrect...it should be 68.5* :doh:

What's so bad about beating Miami with a Don Shula game plan anyway?

For more than a decade we saw the Griese led Dopefiends run it down our throats and dinky passes scattered about while their D made our QBs look like tools.

Well, the shoe's on the other foot now. :doh:

Nobody in the media or the "fan" base the Fiends had complained about Griese's low passing numbers. It's called ball control, and it works.

Interesting point.  NFL.com doesn't have game logs for 2000, so I can't compare, but it would be interesting to see how many sub-100 yard passing days Dilfer had for those Ravens. 

The Bills have the League's best special teams, and it is just possible that our "rookie defense" just might be good.  Of course, we benefited a lot from a patented Culpepper implosion today.  I still expect our rookies to be burnt toast at times this season. 

JDG

776966[/snapback]

A quick search for Trent's SB year stats didn't yield me a game by game, but we can extrapolate from his season stats:

134-226 59.3% 1502 yards 6.6 y/att 12 TD 11 INT 23 sacks 76.6 rating

He only played/started 11 games. So ... his average game that season was:

12.2-20.5 59.3% 136 yards 6.6 y/att 1.1 TD 1 INT 2.1 sacks 76.8 rating (rating changes slightly because of rounding)

So far this season, JP is at

26-41 63.4% 247 yards 6.0 y/att 1 TD 0 INT 5 sacks 88.2 rating

Average?

13-20.5 63.4% 123.5 yards 6.0 /att 0.5 TD 0 INT 2.5 sacks 88.2 rating

Take it for what it's worth. Also note that Dilfer had a much better OLine in front of him IIRC. He also had a rookie Jamal Lewis running for 1364 yards on a 4.4 average.

Interesting point.  NFL.com doesn't have game logs for 2000, so I can't compare, but it would be interesting to see how many sub-100 yard passing days Dilfer had for those Ravens. 

JDG

776966[/snapback]

Try ESPN.COM and you'll find the answer is 3, which is also how many 200+ yard games he had (including the playoffs). And he didn't start until mid-way through the season...In other words, 1/3 of his games during that season were sub-100 yard passing games.