14-2 edge in penalties. B. friggin' S.

Ok. Not acting like some holier than thou guy who accepts what happens and has some higher form of logic.

I sat in the bar with about 50 Bills fans today, and it was pretty clear to all of us that

1) The Pats tackled our kicker and there was no flag, no replay, no mention by announcers.

2) Pats jumped offside on the play prior to the safety. No replay, no mention by the announcers.

3) The interception....whistle blowing the play dead was b.s., and the penalty flag seemed to have been thrown from the stands, it was almost a yardage marker, it had nothing to do with the play. Clements' block had absolutely zero impact on the return. It would've been interesting to have the refs explain exactly why they stopped the play.

4) The call on Royal was a Royal shaft. The flag was tossed by the ref after it was clear the Bills had earned a first down. It was a great catch, and the guy who fell down after being dusted by Royal actually made the stop, so who gives a !@#$? It was a mickey mouse call that had major impact on the outcome of the game. If they used similar standards to call infractions for the entire game, there would've been 100 penalties today. This is football, people bump into each other.

5) The Bills were meant to lose today. The referees believe in the Pats, and they favored them.

You may disagree, but you are kidding yourselves. The outcome of that game was affected by the officiating. The Pats had 2 penalties for 5 yards. We had 14. Come on.

Yes, it is 9 hours later, and I am not over it. Here's a tip from me to me: Get over it.

The block in the back calls were killers. Clements and Royal may not have pushed the Patriots, but they did have their hands on their backs as both players went down. I think the first guy was going down on his own to try to tackle Whitner, and on the second one, Vrabel may have felt the contact and exaggerated a bit of a dive. Smart play if he did. Royal had no business with his hands on the back in that situation. Even a good clean block wouldn't have mattered- Price had the 1st and was going out of bounds.

I question the discrepency in penalties..Only two for the Patriots??? Puhlease. But I don't argue those two blocks in the back. You see similar plays called all of the time against every team (well, almost every team...) The Bills just have to be smarter in those spots.

It's amazing the Bills played the Pats in Foxboro to a 19-17 loss when the team they played "played" flawless error free no penalty football. When was the last time you saw a game where a team had NO penalties--other than an illegal sub. No holding, no offside, all penalty free blocks, all penalty free running into the kicker/punter. Simply amazing! Do you think we get those calls here against the Pats in October? Not a chance!

Your numbers are off.  The Patriots had one fewer penalty than you say, and the Bills had SEVEN fewer.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/teamstats/NFL_20060910_BUF@NE

769367[/snapback]

Anyway, even the most hell bent fan has to admit that not having one live action penalty the whole day is suspicious. Schobel was getting the arm bar coming around the corner consistently. I admit the Bills didn't close the game when they had the chance, but come on, not one damn flag, that's absurd.

Your numbers are off.  The Patriots had one fewer penalty than you say, and the Bills had SEVEN fewer.

769367[/snapback]

I think the most amazing thing here is that TC's numbers are way off, but the "real" results 7 penalties on the Bills and 1 on the Pats still indicate a game where the results were strongly in favor of one team over the other.

There can be a number of explanations for this such as they younger team simply being less disciplined and making more mistakes and the older team having gone through a # of high pressure situations and thus they played more disciplined ball.

In fact, I think this was part of the explanation.

However, I think it is hard to look at the actual plays of this game and try (its hard for us partisans) to be objective and conclude that there were simply a number of bad calls and questionable non-call by the refs which seemed to advantage the home team and the team expected to win with the script of conventional wisdom for this game.

Clearly all fans rant that their team got screwed by the refs while the other team was helped, but I think it is hard to look at the particular plays of this game (like the flag/whistle on the Whitner interception) and no go huh? or look at non-calls like a couple of the plays where rushers "ran into" Moorman and say "what?"

These are simply the breaks and there is really no choice but to suck it up and move on. However, when the Pats come to town and if the refs happen to badly blow a couple of calls (or make bad calls on things like the coin flip as they have done and it advantages the Bills, I will note that it is too bad they influenced a game, but overall the scales of justice will be balanced.

The Bills gave this one away against a not very good team that played better than them and the refs helped the not very impressive Pats in gaining this win.

and it wasn't an on field penalty - it was an illegal substitution.

First game of the season and not a single offsides, false start or hold - amazing!

769201[/snapback]

I won't go through a list list of them, but as an example, Shoebel was clearly held on one of the plays where he batted down Brady's pass. The announcers pointed this out, along with several other calls and spots where the Bills were screwed. I agree that we lost because of our inability to stop the run and TE pass when it mattered, but the fact remains that the officials called a one sided game.

The only one that really bothered me was the offsides before the safety. It was so blatant right over center and impossible to miss. Then they called the SAME EXACT thing against the Bills on the next possession. But as Schope said it's the NFL why are you surprised. I hate the Giants but they got hosed as bad or worse than us last night.

I couldn't agree more that there was a discrepency in the way the penalties were called.

I would believe, however, that this is an ongoing situation that never really changes. Teams that are on a roll for several years tend to get the benefit of the calls. One reason is that they are generally playing better than their opponents... but also due to the officials giving the proven, "better" team more breaks. I would wager that during the Bill's heyday that they received similar breaks, all the while having the weaker opponents complaining about the calls. It doesn't make it right, but I would not be surprised if this is the pattern.

Another year, another game at New England, another 4th quarter where Belicheck gets most of the calls in the 4th. Funny how the Bills were the only team committing mistakes in the 4th.

It is the same old story, just let it go everyone.

SO Hollywood and other Pats trolls here, feel free to reply to me and give me more info to get yourselves off the day after the game. Hope you feel good about it.

I still don't understand the call on the 3rd and 2 when we got the first down (4th quarter). Next thing I know, its a penalty (which was never shown or explained) and we end up punting (I think). It just pisses me off that nothing was explained and this was a major reason the Bills lost. They could have kept going, since it was a first down and probably at least gotten 3 which would have made it 20 - 14 BUF.

But alas, playing in New England, there had to be a call against us at a crucial time. Another screwed call. Fuggin bastards!! ;)

The block in the back calls were killers.  Clements and Royal may not have pushed the Patriots, but they did have their hands on their backs as both players went down.  I think the first guy was going down on his own to try to tackle Whitner, and on the second one, Vrabel may have felt the contact and exaggerated a bit of a dive.  Smart play if he did.  Royal had no business with his hands on the back in that situation.  Even a good clean block wouldn't have mattered- Price had the 1st and was going out of bounds.

I question the discrepency in penalties..Only two for the Patriots??? Puhlease.  But I don't argue those two blocks in the back.  You see similar plays called all of the time against every team (well, almost every team...)  The Bills just have to be smarter in those spots.

769020[/snapback]

I saw a baker's dozen of the same kind of in the back blocks and worse by the Patriots in the same game without a single penalty. The game is rigged in favor of the Patriots and the league acquiesces in that fact!

769367[/snapback]

I got those numbers off nfl.com, right after the game. I understand that they've been adjusted. But that's what it read at the time I made the post.

I only saw the 1st half. But I too must admit that I saw 2 separate occasions where the Bills Defender was tackled rather than being blocked. It was quite noticeable. Furthermore, there was 1 occasion where the Pat defender appeared to be lined up in the neutral zone - no call.

Now to be fair, I thought I saw a false start on the Bills that wasn't called either. So from the 1st half I have a 3:1 (Pats:Bills) ratio of non-calls.

Completely aside, but on Schobels' knock down of the pass where he is CLEARLY held, they showed an end-zone shot of the play and behind Schobel, I swear Nate Clements was breaking on that pass and would have had a pretty clear path to the end zone. Did anyone notice that play other than me??

Completely aside, but on Schobels' knock down of the pass where he is CLEARLY held, they showed an end-zone shot of the play and behind Schobel, I swear Nate Clements was breaking on that pass and would have had a pretty clear path to the end zone. Did anyone notice that play other than me??

769708[/snapback]

I did. Nate was going to the house.

Ok i stated this yesterday in a different thread, but did anyone notice when Schobel was called for offsides/encroachment that on the replay the network showed Watson/Graham flinching? I noticed this as the announcer continued to ramble about the Patriots being gods.

Ok i stated this yesterday in a different thread, but did anyone notice when Schobel was called for offsides/encroachment that on the replay the network showed Watson/Graham flinching? I noticed this as the announcer continued to ramble about the Patriots being gods.

769835[/snapback]

Dennys tackle of Maroney in the backfield was the most blantent non call in the game.Denny was being tackled and tackled Maroney with one arm as he himself was being tackled by the olineman.Absolutelly Redicilous,no flag

Dennys tackle of Maroney in the backfield was the most blantent non call in the game.Denny was being tackled and tackled Maroney with one arm as he himself was being tackled by the olineman.Absolutelly Redicilous,no flag

769842[/snapback]

Yeah as well as oh 3 players taking out moorman? or whistling dead a live play that wasn't out of bounds, or down by contact? all pretty blatant :angry:

False.  The Patriots declined only one penalty that was called on Buffalo.  You can count them yourself here.

769417[/snapback]

I think folks should agree with you on the stats you site becauce it does not seem to me to make any difference which stats one chooses the big point is the same.

Whether one asserts that the numbers were 15-2 or 7-1 there was a grpss disparity in the number of penalties assessed.

This coul be explained by a number of occurences most prominent among them that it was an effect of a young undisciplined team drawing fouls while a hardened experienced team play relatively without error. Alternately some may claim that it was another case of the conspiracy against the Bills.

In my view an explanation is found that certainly a lot of this was based in better more penalty free performance by the Pats, but also while I do not think a conspiracy exists, I think an objective look at the game indicates that the refs made several calls and non-calls which were bad calls and these disadvantaged the Bills significantly.

Whats your call on this question?

769842[/snapback]

I also thought Denney would get called for a facemask, but apparently he did not grab anything but Maroney;s uniform collar to bring him down. What call do you think was missed and is there any objective proof of it or was it simply a judgment call?

I'd say it was mostly better execution by the Pats, and probably a very little bit of hometown calls.

770047[/snapback]

Prolly just like the day Bledsoe threw 70 passes against the Vikings and the Patriots received exactly 0 holding penalties!

I believe he threw on 35 consecutive plays from scrimmage in the 2nd half....

Yeah. That's it.

770098[/snapback]

That, overall, was the worst one-sided officiated Patriots-Bills game I can remember. The 'missed' calls were blatant , the bias was unmistakeable, and the officiating crew the next thing to incompetent. I sort of understand how Oakland feels in a small way. Hey, NFL, how about making tackles and clips by the offense a point of emphasis this season?. Apparently tough to do while riding around in the Patriot's hip pocket.

I also wonder if the Bills drew the lowlife special officiating crew which is reserved for the elite team going against the bottom feeders because the NFL doesn't think the game merits any particular competency requirement from the officials

And was it just me, or did the refs friggin blow the spots? It looked like the Bills made that 4 and 1, and the Pats did not make the 3rd and 10.

NFL loves the Pats, and as many smarter than me have written, The Bills will not get respect until they start having wining ways once again.

That, overall, was the worst one-sided officiated Patriots-Bills game I can  remember.  The 'missed' calls were blatant , the bias was unmistakeable, and the officiating crew the next thing to incompetent.  I sort of understand how Oakland feels in a small way.  Hey, NFL, how about making tackles and clips by the offense a point of emphasis this season?.  Apparently tough to do while riding around in the Patriot's hip pocket.

770173[/snapback]

In my opinion, the worst one was the "just give it to them" game. We had stopped them short on 4th down, the guy caught the ball out of bounds (on the front page of USA Today the next day) short of the first down, the ref ran up the field and said "just give it to them." Then, Henry Jones was called for pass interference on a fyuckin Hail Mary on 4th down, giving the Pats first and goal at the 1.

My wife nearly left me that day. She says I have FTS...Football Tourette's Syndrome

Want more evidence, blow up the picture on this page of Maroney running through a hole and check out the "textbook blocking" on Kyle Williams on this play

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p.../609120347/tbd/

770473[/snapback]

:D

Jesus. That's a great pic, man. The caption should read "Probably a very little bit of hometown calls."