Some Interesting Cuts Already

And by "interesting" I dont mean "OMGZ, The Bills gotta sign him!1!1!!!1!" I just mean they are at least known players. Some, as you'll see, even played some seasons in Buffalo. Here are some of the cuts so far...

Courtney Watson LB (Texans)

Antowain Smith RB (Texans)

David Loverne OL (Texans)

Sam Cowart LB (Texans)

Eric Warfield CB (Patriots)

Eddie Freeman DE (Patriots)

Chad Brown LB (Patriots)

Monty Beisel LB (Patriots)

Matthew Rice DE (Rams)

Charles Rogers WR (Lions...according to ESPNews soon to be cut)

From what I can see using KFFL, only the Texans, Patriots, Rams and Bears have swung the axe this early.

A fascinating list. I have to admit, when I read it I had a pang of regret for Sam Cowart. He was never the same after Frank Freaking Middleton ended his season in Tampa in 2000. Thus a career with so much promise ends on the cut list. It is a cruel world.

And by "interesting" I dont mean "OMGZ, The Bills gotta sign him!1!1!!!1!" I just mean they are at least known players.  Some, as you'll see, even played some seasons in Buffalo.  Here are some of the cuts so far...

Sam Cowart LB (Texans)

Chad Brown LB (Patriots)

Matthew Rice DE (Rams)

From what I can see using KFFL, only the Texans, Patriots, Rams and Bears have swung the axe this early.

759014[/snapback]

Didn't Rogers break his collar bone twice already?

That's one of those injuries that keeps reoccuring throughout someone's career. If he can't stay healthy for 16 games, what good is he to the Bills?

He's just a name that was once a first round pick.

A fascinating list. I have to admit, when I read it I had a pang of regret for Sam Cowart. He was never the same after Frank Freaking Middleton ended his season in Tampa in 2000. Thus a career with so much promise ends on the cut list. It is a cruel world.

759022[/snapback]

I agree on Cowart. He was one of my favorite Bills when he was here and it was sad to see him go. What could have been...

Didn't Rogers break his collar bone twice already?

That's one of those injuries that keeps reoccuring throughout someone's career. If he can't stay healthy for 16 games, what good is he to the Bills?

He's just a name that was once a first round pick.

759029[/snapback]

the whole "but...but...but...I've heard of him" jokes aside, he has shown he has some talent.

if he checks out medically, he might actually be an upgrade over Price/Reed/Aiken

Okay. But is he THAT bad? Or was it a bad system for him?

759062[/snapback]

He's not bad -- he just can't stay healthy. He hasn't made it through a full season yet, and with that sort of injury, he likely never will. It's a shame because he has oodles of talent.

A change of scenery may do Rogers well. Probably a better fit with a stronger head coach than Juron. But certainly his potential and size would be welcomed. However we dont have room on the roster to waste hoping he can resurect his career. Aiken vs. Rogers...gotta keep aiken.

And by "interesting" I dont mean "OMGZ, The Bills gotta sign him!1!1!!!1!" I just mean they are at least known players.  Some, as you'll see, even played some seasons in Buffalo.  Here are some of the cuts so far...

Sam Cowart LB (Texans)

Chad Brown LB (Patriots)

Matthew Rice DE (Rams)

759014[/snapback]

The Patriots cut one of their starting ILBs? :doh:

Is this so that Mr. Seau can start or something? What the hell.

I remember reading that if rogers did get cut the team that picked him up would be on the hook for 1 year 750k. The reward in this case seriously outweighs the risk, and the reward that he might be able to stay healthy. Rogers/Evans. Just for that alone I'd pursure it, worst case it doesnt work out no harm no foul. We really have nothing to lose there.

In Charles Roger' case, if Mike Martz doesn't want you, you are probably not all that good.

I'm actually surprised with the A. Smith cut. The Texans lost Davis to injury already and they have 2 rooks and Morency now.

and BTW, C. Watson must be terrible. (I'm talking about Courtney, not Chris, but I guess it fits them both)

A change of scenery may do Rogers well.  Probably a better fit with a stronger head coach than Juron.  But certainly his potential and size would be welcomed.  However we dont have room on the roster to waste hoping he can resurect his career.  Aiken vs. Rogers...gotta keep aiken.

759075[/snapback]

Sounds like he needs to go to Dallas and the tutelage of one TO will put him on the right track :doh:

In Charles Roger' case, if Mike Martz doesn't want you, you are probably not all that good.

I'm actually surprised with the A. Smith cut. The Texans lost Davis to injury already and they have 2 rooks and Morency now.

and BTW, C. Watson must be terrible. (I'm talking about Courtney, not Chris, but I guess it fits them both)

759098[/snapback]

So it's unanimous, C. Watson sucks! Anyone with the surname Watson take not... no naming your kid Chris, Colin, Cathy, Charlie or anything with a "C" otherwise you're kid will likely suck... :doh:

I remember reading that if rogers did get cut the team that picked him up would be on the hook for 1 year 750k. The reward in this case seriously outweighs the risk, and the reward that he might be able to stay healthy.  Rogers/Evans.  Just for that alone I'd pursure it, worst case it doesnt work out no harm no foul. We really have nothing to lose there.

759085[/snapback]

But there is a risk besides finanacial. You sign Rogers that means you have to cut one of the young WRs like Wilson, Aiken, Davis etc. Guys who have proven they can stay healthy.

Then, when you get Rogers and he gets hurt, which he undoubtedly will, you're screwed.

I would rather have someone I know can hold up physically for 16 games and has potential to get better than someone who I know can't hold up for 16 games and has possibly more potential. But that's just me.

A change of scenery may do Rogers well.  Probably a better fit with a stronger head coach than Juron.  But certainly his potential and size would be welcomed.  However we dont have room on the roster to waste hoping he can resurect his career.  Aiken vs. Rogers...gotta keep aiken.

759075[/snapback]

if i am not mistaken juron was the head coach in Det. last year. I don't think a change to our scenery will do Rogers any good and probaly not a Marv Guy.

But there is a risk besides finanacial. You sign Rogers that means you have to cut one of the young WRs like Wilson, Aiken, Davis etc. Guys who have proven they can stay healthy.

759147[/snapback]

IMO Wilson will get cut anyway and put on PS. Either Aiken or Davis will prolly also be cut. In the coming days other WRs on the same level as Aiken and Davis will also get cut and probably won't catch on with another NFL team

Even if Rogers got hurt we would always have the option to promote Wilson or re-sign Aiken/Davis/similar WR

The potential reward outweighs the risk

This is so Teddy Bruschi can play all three linebacker slots simultaneously.

759232[/snapback]

While injured.....and concurrently raising Lazarus from the dead..all while being followed by Joe Theismann and a camera crew for top rated network ESPN - Bruschi

Yep, just like he did with his old college teammate David Terrell. :)

759242[/snapback]

Michigan receivers are getting a rep like Texas Offensive Tackles or Penn State Tailbacks (I know I just made a bunch of people mad)... ;)