UB Bulls win in OT 9-3

PromoTheRobot

In a nutshell, it's still the UB Bulls out there, and they needed OT to beat a team that's as bad as they are. But there were several reasons for optimism:

> No turnovers

> Few penalties, although two late in the game nearly cost them

> They moved the ball great...until they got to the red zone. Then it was the Keystone Cops!

> Stout goaline stand with 3 minutes left won the game for UB. Temple had the ball 1st & goal at the 2 and got stuffed. Had to settle for the FG. Then the D got the INT in OT.

> Their new unis look much better than the Bills

> Record crowd of 29,000+ at the game

> They actually looked good...until they did something that reminded you they were still UB.

One the negative side:

> FG kicker is brutal. Missed two chip shots.

> Red zone offense needs work

> They barely beat Temple. I hate to think what is going to happen to them when they play Auburn

Anyway. UB football is 1-0 for the first time in 9 years. Enjoy it.

PTR

One the negative side:

> FG kicker is brutal.  Missed two chip shots.

> They barely beat Temple.  I hate to think what is going to happen to them when they play Auburn

Anyway.  UB football is 1-0 for the first time in 9 years.  Enjoy it.

PTR

758183[/snapback]

That's not their original kicker. The "real" kicker's name is McGroarty and he was out with an ankle injury.

In a nutshell, it's still the UB Bulls out there, and they needed OT to beat a team that's as bad as they are.  But there were several reasons for optimism:

> No turnovers

> Few penalties, although two late in the game nearly cost them

> They moved the ball great...until they got to the red zone.  Then it was the Keystone Cops!

> Stout goaline stand with 3 minutes left won the game for UB.  Temple had the ball 1st & goal at the 2 and got stuffed.  Had to settle for the FG.  Then the D got the INT in OT.

> Their new unis look much better than the Bills

> Record crowd of 29,000+ at the game

> They actually looked good...until they did something that reminded you they were still UB.

One the negative side:

> FG kicker is brutal.  Missed two chip shots.

> They barely beat Temple.  I hate to think what is going to happen to them when they play Auburn

Anyway.  UB football is 1-0 for the first time in 9 years.  Enjoy it.

PTR

758183[/snapback]

No turnovers? Not true. Willy fumbled and Temple recovered on fourth down in the first half. He didn't have the yardage for a first, so it would have been a turnover anyway.

Also--record crowd at 29,000+ at the game? No. (I was there.) Maybe tickets sold/given. But definitely not at the game, with both endzones near empty (one was partially covered) and each upper deck at 75% capacity. 20,000 is an upper estimate.

Everything else is right on, especially the goal line stand, which was awesome.

It was fun, though, and good to see the alma mater win one.

Still, the Bulls well outplayed Temple. Temple was very lucky even to gain OT.

Yes, it was only Temple but the Bulls dominated and clearly had the better skill players. How often can you day that? Temple had one good RB. If UB could finish, it should have been minimum 20-3 or something like that. They will be HUGE underdogs in their next three games so going 1-0 for now is awesome.

College attendance is counted as tickets sold plus students (who enter free). Obviously not everyone who bought a ticket showed up but 21K or so is a great crowd for UB. They do get credit for 29K in the NCAA books and that's important to make the 15K attendance requirement.

Seriously though, Temple is rated 119 in the country, thats last.  UB is rated 117.

That was probably the worst game of the year.

758344[/snapback]

Way to piss in the UB bowl of cheerios. :lol: Gill is working with Hofhers rejects for the most part. He comes out and wins his first game. The guy deserves a few seasons to at least prove himself.

Hot Pockets mentality at its best. :lol::o

Way to piss in the UB bowl of cheerios.  :lol:  Gill is working with Hofhers rejects for the most part.  He comes out and wins his first game.  The guy deserves a few seasons to at least prove himself. 

Hot Pockets mentality at its best.  :lol:  :o

758462[/snapback]

I think you have it all wrong. We're all thrilled UB won, but they had a tough time beating a team as bad as they are. Having said that, I think you can look at this game like a pre-season contest. You'd expect them to look out-of-sync. If Gill and his staff are as good as advertised, they will only get better. I'm predicting 4 wins, which would be like winning national championship for UB.

PTR

No turnovers?  Not true.  Willy fumbled and Temple recovered on fourth down in the first half.  He didn't have the yardage for a first, so it would have been a turnover anyway. 

Also--record crowd at 29,000+ at the game?  No. (I was there.) Maybe tickets sold/given.  But definitely not at the game, with both endzones near empty (one was partially covered) and each upper deck at 75% capacity.  20,000 is an upper estimate.

Everything else is right on, especially the goal line stand, which was awesome.

It was fun, though, and good to see the alma mater win one.

Still, the Bulls well outplayed Temple.  Temple was very lucky even to gain OT.

758296[/snapback]

Was that counted as a fumble? I thought being 4th down, possesion would change anyway. 29,750 was tickets distributed. 15,000+ was the actual attendance.

PTR

I was at the game, probably a little over 15,000 in attendance. I really like the coaching staff. They made some excellent calls, unfortunately UB does not have the talent to execute them. Give Gil a few more years and I think he can build a respectable program.

Yes, it was only Temple but the Bulls dominated and clearly had the better skill players.  How often can you day that?  Temple had one good RB.  If UB could finish, it should have been minimum 20-3 or something like that.  They will be HUGE underdogs in their next three games so going 1-0 for now is awesome. 

College attendance is counted as tickets sold plus students (who enter free).  Obviously not everyone who bought a ticket showed up but 21K or so is a great crowd for UB.  They do get credit for 29K in the NCAA books and that's important to make the 15K attendance requirement.

758454[/snapback]

I agree 100%

The kicker missed a couple of gimmie field goals but he's a true freshman in his first game. It was a great crowd for a UB game. The team really did some things well.

I was there and I've been a season ticket holder since their second year in division 1-A. This is the most optimistic that I've been after game one.

I agree 100%

The kicker missed a couple of gimmie field goals but he's a true freshman in his first game. It was a great crowd for a UB game. The team really did some things well.

I was there and I've been a season ticket holder since their second year in division 1-A. This is the most optimistic that I've been after game one.

759212[/snapback]

A true freshman, in his first game, who was only thrown into the "starting" kicker's role last week, when the 1st kicker hurt his ankle.

Nitpicking about a kicker in the NCAA is rediculous. It's hard enough for an NCAA kicker to get into the NFL, a kicker with a high talent level would never, ever want to come to a program in the state that UB is currently in.