Sad Sack Johnson cut by the Giants

TheMadCap

I have no animosity towards Rob Johnson & I don't undrestand why people around here do. When he was here he tried his best both on and off the field, and on the field between the injuries and having a better QB on the team the same time he was here for the 1st 3 years, he just didn't live up to expectations.

Don't blame Rob Johnson-blame the team's management, from John Butler's trade for him to Ralph's willingness to give hin a big $ contract.

It was obvious reading his bio & stats before the trade that he was prone to sacks-which after enough of them will lead to injuries. The week of the trade, I started a string titled "Rob Johnson, the sacked man" He had a very poor sacks to pass ratio before the trade.

The bottom line was that Rob Johnson wasn't good enough to be a long term starting NFL QB and Bills management made a mistake thinking that he was. Don't blame Rob for a lack of talent or the Bills management error.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To this day, I do not understand the hate that some people on this board have for RJ.

The guy gave it his all. He showed more toughness playing behind that poor excuse of an offensive line and got the living sh*t kicked out of him. I will always respect the guy for the effort he gave -- even when the Flutopians were screaming for his head. The darkest day in Buffalo Bills history was when our own "fans" cheered when he got hurt. Before that day, I had always thought that we had the best fans in professional sports.

If you want to know what the players thought of RJ and Flutie, I invite you to contact Thurman, Andre, or Bruce and ask them what they thought about each QB.

As another poster said, he came back for the love of the game pure and simple. He certainly did not need the money. I will always respect the guy.

To this day, I do not understand the hate that some people on this board have for RJ.

The guy gave it his all.  He showed more toughness playing behind that poor excuse of an offensive line and got the living sh*t kicked out of him.  I will always respect the guy for the effort he gave -- even when the Flutopians were screaming for his head.  The darkest day in Buffalo Bills history was when our own "fans" cheered when he got hurt.  Before that day, I had always thought that we had the best fans in professional sports.

If you want to know what the players thought of RJ and Flutie, I invite you to contact Thurman, Andre, or Bruce and ask them what they thought about each QB. 

As another poster said, he came back for the love of the game pure and simple.  He certainly did not need the money.  I will always respect the guy.

754821[/snapback]

Uh...not sure what that means....do you have any quotes to back up your claims that those three preferred RJ? Or is it just smoke looking for a butt to be blown up?

... similarly, to this day, I do not understand the hate some people on this board have for Flutie, who contributed to 2 playoff seasons.

754821[/snapback]

Reed may not have gotten along with Flutie very well, but that was simply because he could no longer get open and Flutie had something special going with Moulds... similar to the way in which Moulds preferred Holcomb this past season.

Uh...not sure what that means....do you have any quotes to back up your claims that those three preferred RJ?  Or is it just smoke looking for a butt to be blown up?

754829[/snapback]

Uh...not sure what that means....do you have any quotes to back up your claims that those three preferred RJ?  Or is it just smoke looking for a butt to be blown up?

754829[/snapback]

Ask them.

You have to love revisionist history....or simply historical retelling that fits a personal slant.  The facts that came to light were that Ralphie wanted to see his investment play.  And who can blame an old man for wanting to play with his Johnson, no one else would have. Once the Flutie led (?) Bills delivered a playoff birth, Ralph became the puppet master and Wade the puppet. The rest is lore.  On top of that, after throrough interviewing....master head football coach Greg Williams chose Rob Johnson....another feather in the RJ cap. 

You can tell me all the stories you want, but the last time the Bills were a team that was fun to watch, was winning consistently, and had some sort of respectability was when Flutie was QBing this team.

754474[/snapback]

amen brother

The guy gave it his all.  He showed more toughness playing behind that poor excuse of an offensive line and got the living sh*t kicked out of him.  I will always respect the guy for the effort he gave -- even when the Flutopians were screaming for his head.  The darkest day in Buffalo Bills history was when our own "fans" cheered when he got hurt.  Before that day, I had always thought that we had the best fans in professional sports.

As another poster said, he came back for the love of the game pure and simple.  He certainly did not need the money.  I will always respect the guy.

754821[/snapback]

Totally agree. The guy didn't succeed because he just didn't have it. It wasn't because of lack of effort. Can you really hate a guy for not being good enough to be a QB in the NFL? If that's the case, every single person on this message board is a bigger douche bag than Rob Johnson ever was.

Hate the players who put themselves before the team (TO) or the ones who get out of shape or really just don't care.

Still can't believe that turd has an SB ring.  Damn!

755249[/snapback]

Well, in 2 the 2 playoff appearances b/n Doug and RJ, guess who left the field for the last time with the lead?

A great QB? No.

A decent guy that caught a lot of flak from an ungrateful bunch of fans? Yep.

Like a previous poster said, I have never been more embarrassed than when the crowd cheered for their own guy being injured. It was horrible. Imagine goingout and breakin your a$$ to try and win a game only to have a bunch of morons cheer at you getting whacked by the other team.

You have to love revisionist history....or simply historical retelling that fits a personal slant.  The facts that came to light were that Ralphie wanted to see his investment play.  And who can blame an old man for wanting to play with his Johnson, no one else would have. Once the Flutie led (?) Bills delivered a playoff birth, Ralph became the puppet master and Wade the puppet. The rest is lore.  On top of that, after throrough interviewing....master head football coach Greg Williams chose Rob Johnson....another feather in the RJ cap. 

You can tell me all the stories you want, but the last time the Bills were a team that was fun to watch, was winning consistently, and had some sort of respectability was when Flutie was QBing this team.

754474[/snapback]

Revisionism, indeed. In 1999, Doug Flutie was awful. He played a potential 14-win team with the league's best defense, and a 4-1 start , down to an 11-5 record that didn't even get a home playoff game. If he got 200 yards passing on Sunday, we were lucky. If he did it by completing more than half his passes, Wade Phillips was happy. If he did it without 2 or 3 picks or a fumble, it could be a cakewalk for Buffalo.

When the Bills won in 1999, it was because we took the ball out of his hands and hoped the clock ran out in time against the Bledsoes and Mannings. Flutie ended up completely mismanaging winnable games against the Giants (15-32, 1 INT), Raiders (19-42, 3 INTs), Jets (22-40, 2 INTs), and Seahawks (24-50, 2 INTs). He was damn lucky to win against the Ravens (18-40, 3 INTs) and New England in his last start (finished 22-35 after going 10-22 in bum performance - the game doesn't even go OT if Vinateri doesn't miss two FGs). I was completely exhausted with Flutie by then - weren't you??? And remember how Johnson played the next week? Rob couldn't miss in a fantastic blowout performance against the 13-win Colts (who WERE playing for homefield advantage). 24 of 32, 287 yards, and pinpoint TDs to Peerless Price that I hadn't seen Jim Kelly throw since 1990. If ever.

Yeah, Johnson turned into a pumpkin in 2000 (as did our defense). I didn't think the Bills would get any lower after the 33-6 and 44-20 blowouts to the Dolphins and Colts (and Wade was already conceding the playoffs). But Flutie was NEVER the Magic Man.

Im sorry.. But bledsoe is NOT fragile... very durable tough player. one major injury doesnt make someone fragile.

754828[/snapback]

I think you missed the meaning.

The poster was stating that Johnson had many of the same qualities as Bledsoe (erratic internal clock, good arm, etc) except that UNLIKE Bledsoe, he was a china doll.

Other than maybe Brett Favre, Bledsoe is probably one of the most durable QBs over the past 10-15 years. Bledsoe has a solid frame that can take hits. Johnson was a gym rat who made an effort to bulk up by putting muscle on his stickman frame. He was never a naturally stout individual. I give him credit for trying to hang in there, but his body type was better suited for being a punter or kicker.

Love how you choose 4 out of the 5 Bills' losses and point to those as reasons why Flutie was an inadequate QB. You then proceed to take the single, solitary example of a stellar Rob Johnson performance to justify his talent. Pretty weak argument.

What you (conveniently) leave out is that with Flutie at QB, the Bills consistently held the time of possession advantage. While you claim that the objective was to get the ball out of Flutie's hands and into the hands of our defense, the opposite was actually happening. Flutie led an offense that actually CONVERTED on 3rd down -- what a novel concept. In doing so, the defense stayed fresh and when on the field, was able to make plays.

Flutie was no Peyton Manning but he executed the winning formula to perfection -- get positive yards, avoid sacks, and keep the time of posession advantage in your favor. In those 10 wins, the offense held the ball for ON AVERAGE 10 minutes longer than the opposing team. That is a huge disparity. Was Flutie solely reponsible for this? Of course not, this is a team game. But it does say something about the QB when you complete 3rd downs more often than not.

Revisionism, indeed. In 1999, Doug Flutie was awful. He played a potential 14-win team with the league's best defense, and a 4-1 start , down to  an 11-5 record that didn't even get a home playoff game. If he got 200 yards passing on Sunday, we were lucky. If he did it by completing more than half his passes, Wade Phillips was happy. If he did it without 2 or 3 picks or a fumble, it could be a cakewalk for Buffalo.

When the Bills won in 1999, it was because we took the ball out of his hands and hoped the clock ran out in time against the Bledsoes and Mannings. Flutie ended up  completely mismanaging winnable games against the Giants (15-32, 1 INT), Raiders (19-42, 3 INTs), Jets (22-40, 2 INTs), and Seahawks  (24-50, 2 INTs).  He was damn lucky to win against the Ravens (18-40, 3 INTs) and New England in his last start (finished 22-35 after  going 10-22 in bum performance - the game doesn't even go OT if Vinateri doesn't miss two FGs).  I was completely exhausted with Flutie by then - weren't you???  And remember how Johnson played the next week? Rob couldn't miss in a fantastic blowout performance against the 13-win Colts (who WERE playing for homefield advantage). 24 of 32, 287 yards, and pinpoint TDs to Peerless Price that I hadn't seen Jim Kelly throw since 1990. If ever.

Yeah, Johnson turned into a pumpkin in 2000 (as did our defense). I didn't think the Bills would get any lower after the 33-6 and 44-20 blowouts to the Dolphins and Colts (and Wade was already conceding the playoffs). But Flutie was NEVER the Magic Man.

755296[/snapback]

Love how you choose 4 out of the 5 Bills' losses and point to those as reasons why Flutie was an inadequate QB.  You then proceed to take the single, solitary example of a stellar Rob Johnson performance to justify his talent. Pretty weak argument.

What you (conveniently) leave out is that with Flutie at QB, the Bills consistently held the time of possession advantage.  While you claim that the objective was to get the ball out of Flutie's hands and into the hands of our defense, the opposite was actually happening. Flutie led an offense that actually CONVERTED on 3rd down -- what a novel concept.  In doing so, the defense stayed fresh and when on the field, was able to make plays. 

Flutie was no Peyton Manning but he knew executed the winning formula to perfection -- get positive yards, avoid sacks, and keep the time of posession advantage in your favor.  In those 10 wins, the offense held the ball for ON AVERAGE 10 minutes longer than the opposing team.  That is a huge disparity. Was Flutie solely reponsible?  Of course not, this is a team game.  But it does say something about the QB when you complete 3rd downs more often than not.

755478[/snapback]

Flutie sucked. Unfortunately Johnson sucked worse. To find this out the team had to make the decision they did (cut Flutie).

End of discussion!