Ko Simpson

Baker might be ahead of him in the short term but if the team thinks Ko is a better long term solution we might end up cutting Rashad. As it allow us to dress Ko and let him learn on the field and keep someone like Leonhard as a swing S and/or special teamer.

752010[/snapback]

I don't know, that's a tough one. IMO Vincent is probably gone next year. I would want it to be Baker and Simpson to replace him. Ko has a ton of talent and potential but I just don't see it as a necessity to force him out there too early. He only played two years of college and came out as a sophomore I think. Baker could play SS in a pinch as easy as Leonard could, although I somewhat like JL too. It's a difficult choice.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll place him in more and more as the season wears on, Vincent is awefully ancient for 16 games especially if he is unable to preform. I believe its better to live with the mistakes of an up and coming player than watch an aged player struggle. He will be a great example in the locker rom for these young players but I cant see him staying past the season

Donte Whitner is faster than Simpson and probably a little better technician. He also scored quite a bit better on the Wonderlic as understand it. Simpson is taller and obviously has a nose for the ball and a knack for the big play. I think he dropped a little on draft day in part because of the Wonderlic scores. I think it usually falls to the free safety to make the coverage calls on the defense. For that reason the free safety is usually a pretty bright guy. For that reason also, I think Buffalo might be a little more patient about moving Simpson into a starting position than some of y'all would prefer. They will want to make sure he knows the defense and the secondary calls backwards and forwards before they put him into a position where he's going to be making mistakes. Troy Vincent may not be as physical as some of you would like him to be, but I'll bet he's everything Simpson isn't at this point when it comes to knowing what to call and when to call it. That's why the coaching staff isn't so eager to dump him. I do think Simpson will get more playing time as the season wears on, and Troy will likely ride off into the sunset once the season is over.

Whitner is playing a little catch up, but I think once he's up to speed I think he will grow into one of the better SSs in the league, more of and Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu type than a Roy Williams. He's going to be a good one. Buffalo is set at safety for 10 years if they can keep the labor relations happy with these two guys.

Rashad Baker is a good player and probably could start, but I think Simpson and Whitner both have star potential.

It's strange to see a player in a Bills jersey running around with "Simpson" on his back. Will be even stranger when they wear the throwbacks. I have been calling him Ko-J. Unfair as it may be.

751970[/snapback]

Bill or OJ? :w00t:

It's strange to see a player in a Bills jersey running around with "Simpson" on his back. Will be even stranger when they wear the throwbacks. I have been calling him Ko-J. Unfair as it may be.

751970[/snapback]

It would be even stranger if that new Bill had a knack for white women and knife wielding.

Don't underestimate Troy Vincent's value as a mentor to these young DB's. Vincent being on the field at the same time as Whitner will do a ton for Whitner's learning curve. I think Troy starts this year and next before Ko is ready to take over. By that time, Whitner will be a stud at SS.

752148[/snapback]

I doubt some folks will listen to a voice of reason and reality, Unless his recent injury is some sign of the onset of constant injury which reduces him to #2 status, the Bills will certainly start the man who led them in turnovers received last year by tieing for the lead in both INYs amd fumble recoveries Vincent this year. The dirty little secret that you are right about is though i think it is unlikely he will play next year, the chances he will start yet again for the Bills unless he hits the wall appear to be not far from the chances a second day draft pick starts for us in his sophomore.

The reality of how the 2006 season goes will tell the tale and given that no one knows for sure how the season will go and the unpredictable nature of how the ball bounces and the difficult to predict occurence of injury (though with an older player like TV a prediction that age will catch up with him at some point is a certainty).

The whines about his tackling should also mention the key fact that the scheme change from a zone blitz to a cover 2 is probably the biggest factor impacting TV's performance rather than the simplistic wisecracks.

The funny thing about these bleatings about his tackling desire is that if TV met many of (if not any of) these posters in an alley he would walk out and they would leave like JP Losman after TV merely shoved him last year.

If I didn't know any better, you are Troy's close friend or relative.

Troy Vincent is a decent NFL player. He might even do a pretty solid job this year. But the fact of the matter is that the future of this team lies with the likes of Whitner and Simpson -- and both should start learning to play together sooner or later.

Vincent serving as a mentor? This is a team that is young and inexperienced at most positions, it makes little sense to start someone on the downside of his career. The reason teams like Philadelphia, Carolina and New England content year after year is they replace aging players whose best seasons are behind them with young players with potential. The Eagles did this with Vincent, Pats with Milloy and Carolina with Tutan Reyes -- it's no coincidence that the Bills gobble up players like this, given their status as one of the few teams (aside from Arizona and Houston) to miss the playoffs the past 6 years.

Vincent leading the team in fumble recoveries? PLEASE... you have this stat in your back pocket as the answer to all criticism directed at TV -- but it's hardly impressive given the abysmal performance of the D last year. Forcing a fumble is one thing... falling on it is quite another.

Where I do agree with you is that Vincent should start the season as the starting free safety. By the bye, however, I fully expect Ko Simpson to assume the starting role.

I doubt some folks will listen to a voice of reason and reality,  Unless his recent injury is some sign of the onset of constant injury which reduces him to #2 status, the Bills will certainly start the man who led them in turnovers received last year by tieing for the lead in both INYs amd fumble recoveries Vincent this year.  The dirty little secret that you are right about is though i think it is unlikely he will play next year, the chances he will start yet again for the Bills unless he hits the wall appear to be not far from the chances a second day draft pick starts for us in his sophomore.

The reality of how the 2006 season goes will tell the tale and given that no one knows for sure how the season will go and the unpredictable nature of how the ball bounces and the difficult to predict occurence of injury (though with an older player like TV a prediction that age will catch up with him at some point is a certainty).

The whines about his tackling should also mention the key fact that the scheme change from a zone blitz to a cover 2 is probably the biggest factor impacting TV's performance rather than the simplistic wisecracks.

The funny thing about these bleatings about his tackling desire is that if TV met many of (if not any of) these posters in an alley he would walk out and they would leave like JP Losman after TV merely shoved him last year.

752164[/snapback]

752164[/snapback]

I enjoy reading your posts but the thing is if anything the cover 2 might expose vincents liabilites more then cover for them, especially as it concerns his biggest weakness. His willingness to make contact with the ball carrier in the open field.

Cover 2 safety responsibility

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/flash/2005/coverTwo

cover 2 safeties don't have to be big but must be tough. need to have combo of range and instinct. Don't have to have pure man-to-man skills-- A lot of cover 2 safeties have straight line speed. Must be able to get to deep perimeter and help over the top. Should be good in run support and excellent open-field tackler. Must be good athlete. Must be smart and able to read offenses.

This however on the flip side explain why KO will probably not see the field as a starter at least until he gets the mental aspect down. In any case this isnt a great reason to keep vincent as I believe the coaches on our staff have enough know how to teach KO the ropes. I hate to see progress halted for a 35 year old vet who wont be a part of the bigger picture.

Vincent serving as a mentor?  This is a team that is young and inexperienced at most positions, it makes little sense to start someone on the downside of his career.  The reason teams like Philadelphia, Carolina and New England content year after year is they replace aging players whose best seasons are behind them with young players with potential.  The Eagles did this with Vincent, Pats with Milloy and Carolina with Tutan Reyes -- it's no coincidence that the Bills gobble up players like this, given their status as one of the few teams (aside from Arizona and Houston) to miss the playoffs the past 6 years.

752174[/snapback]

I agree with your point but you do realize tutan reyes is only 29 years old. Hardly "past his prime"

Fair enough - but the point I'm trying to make is that those teams aren't hesitant to jettison veteran players in favor of younger players with greater potential. Carolina has replaced Tutan Reyes with Evan Mathis, their 3rd round pick from 2005.

Also bear in mind that when the Bills signed Milloy, he was around 29 as well -- and I am one of the few who think Milloy played well for us.

In any case, I'm pretty confident Ko will be starting before this season ends -- which I think is the right approach.

I agree with your point but you do realize tutan reyes is only 29 years old. Hardly "past his prime"

752179[/snapback]

I enjoy reading your posts but the thing is if anything the cover 2 might expose vincents liabilites more then cover for them, especially as it concerns his biggest weakness. His willingness to make contact with the ball carrier in the open field.

Cover 2 safety responsibility

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/flash/2005/coverTwo

cover 2 safeties don't have to be big but must be tough. need to have combo of range and instinct. Don't have to have pure man-to-man skills-- A lot of cover 2 safeties have straight line speed. Must be able to get to deep perimeter and help over the top. Should be good in run support and excellent open-field tackler. Must be good athlete. Must be smart and able to read offenses.

This however on the flip side explain why KO will probably not see the field as a starter at least until he gets the mental aspect down. In any case this isnt a great reason to keep vincent as I believe the coaches on our staff have enough know how to teach KO the ropes.  I hate to see progress halted for a 35 year old vet who wont be a part of the bigger picture.

752177[/snapback]

I actually agree that Simpson will likely be the starter at FS by the end of the season certainly if he is as impressive as many hope he will be and more importantly if he plays against the pros the way he did in his best highlights from college (particularly iimpressive was one where he picked off a ball and was in full stride when he did because he seemed to read the play and the QB's eyes perfectly.

However, the virulence of my reaction actually stems not from any sense that TV is great or certainly will be much more than wheelchair bound if he chooses to play next year, but the stone lock certainty expressed by many for quite a while that he should be or will be cut.

These statements were flat-out wrong when folks made them before Milloy ended up being the safety cut and are flat out wrong now,

It is not that TV is so good or more than adequate even as a safety, its simply that ffolks seem to cavalierly want to cut him. I site the simple fact that he led this team by tieing for the team lead in INTs AND by tieing for the team lead in FRs (with a paltry 2) it means that this cut which seems so obvious to some would mean that this real world output would need to be replaced. They do not suggest it because it almost certainly will mot happen,

I think it would great is Simpson proved to be so great so fast that he sat TV down. However, this is simply such a longshot to occur that it ain't gonna happen. The idea that even if this wonderful event were to occur that you would then cut TV rather than make him your #2 is simply a non-football idea.

It really is not that i love TV its just that I hate repeated football stupidity. Generally, I do not go out of my way to start pro-TB threads (there may be some general overview of the team I started which states positives about him) but almost entirely I have made my repetitive rants about TV in response the equally repetitive and mostly nonsenical rants that he should be cut.

Despite his leading the Bills in fumbles recovered with a whopping 2 and interceptions with 4 (2 of which came in week 1 against the worst team in the NFL), Vincent has made little impact in his time with the Bills. I think many feel the veteran leadership angle is overblown as the Bills have more than enough coaches, none of which make $3m per year. Doea anyone feel Vincent would continue playing if he wasn't getting over-paid?

I'm pulling for Ko simply from the marketing standpoint. We would have the 1-2 knockout punch combination. You will have either been TKO'd or suffer a devastating KO. I like it

752343[/snapback]

TKOwned! KOwned! We should send these to Chirs Berman for NFL Primtime.

I've been hearing a lot about this guy in the past few weeks of camp.  I was excited when they picked him up in the draft, and he's an incredible specimen with his speed and height.  He was ranked higher than Donte, and I think he's proved himself slightly better.

Anyone agree here? I believe he deserves to at leas tbe above Rashad on the depth-chart

751915[/snapback]

Okay last time I am going to post this - I swear.

I live in South Carolina (check my screen name) and I play hoops every morning with a bunch of rabid Gamecock fans. They know I'm a Bills nut. They claim he is the steal of the draft and will be an excellent player for us in the future.

I doubt some folks will listen to a voice of reason and reality,  Unless his recent injury is some sign of the onset of constant injury which reduces him to #2 status, the Bills will certainly start the man who led them in turnovers received last year by tieing for the lead in both INYs amd fumble recoveries Vincent this year. 

752164[/snapback]

You're like a broken record. Get your head out of the stat book and watch the games. A few good plays don't erase an entire season of bad ones. Vincent was late getting over consistently and was a liability against the run. He had a horrible season. This D might suite him better, we'll see, but to keep sighting these same stats and calling it "reality" and "reason" is comical.

You know, when coaches and GMs go to evaluate a player they don’t watch film, they simply glance at the stat sheet… :blink: