Realistically, could Holcumb

BoondckCL

From the Niagara Gazette...

"There are several ways to argue that J.P. Losman should be the Bills’ starting quarterback this season...

"But the most compelling evidence is that Holcomb’s arm strength gives Mike Piazza someone to snicker at. Presidents have thrown the first pitch at baseball games with more velocity."

Holcomb falls short in Bills’ arms race

Hysterical.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything is possible, but I don't see a mutiny happening. For one thing, the most vocal malcontents are gone. Also, one would hope that JP will play better than he did last year.

Perhaps most important is the fact that if JP does start the season, he will have earned the job this time.

743633[/snapback]

I feel the same way. No team should cut a # 2 depth chart player for fear of there being a mutiny. It is a job of the coaches to keep the rank anf file in order and marching to the same tune. Somehow, I feel the combination of Jauron and Levy have more backbone than their predecessors.

Anything is possible, but I don't see a mutiny happening. For one thing, the most vocal malcontents are gone. Also, one would hope that JP will play better than he did last year.

Perhaps most important is the fact that if JP does start the season, he will have earned the job this time.

743633[/snapback]

If I remeber various other reports both TV and Fletcher wanted MM to let KH play

in favor of JP......They are still lurking in the locker room. The only way to

avoid any controversy is not have KH in the same locker room...Also, this will

let these guys focus on their play (solid defense) rather than looking over if

the QB is going to throw a good ball or not.....

Holcomb brings experience and could start in a pinch.  And it costs more to cut him than to keep him.  I doubt any player thinks he's the better option at this point so I don't see a mutiny happening.  I think he stays.

Besides, who would you replace him with at this stage?  Kingsbury?

743591[/snapback]

Someone outside this roster....like another poster mentioned a Jay Fiedler.

Someone outside this roster....like another poster mentioned a Jay Fiedler.

743654[/snapback]

The thing is....if Losman plays poorly, what would make you believe that the players wouldn't prefer Fiedler, or anyone else who is able to do the job?

This is one area where I strongly approve of what Bills Management is doing. Losman was handed the job in the past to the detriment of the team, and even himself in terms of development.

Again, JP needs to win the job and hold on to it.

I agree that Holcomb was a bad decision from the start. Let him go be career back-up somewhere else and give another guy a shot on the team. I bet JP's numbers and performance would improve dramatically if Holcomb were no longer on our team.

Absolutely Holcomb, or Nall for that matter, could get cut. The Bills are not going to pay big bucks to a #2 and #3 QB. Expect the loser of the #2 job to be let go, and a cheaper, younger #3 brought in. Probably not Kingsbury.

PTR

why the hell would the cut the ideal backup QB?

743619[/snapback]

The thing is that i don't really see how Holcumb is the ideal back up.

Yes Holcumb can come in if needed and win a game that the Bills are already winning, or maybe come in for a full week while a quarterback is injured. Holcumb can do that, but you want a back up that knows his role and the team knows his roll as well.

I'm not sure if Holcumb knows his role. Let's not forget, so far every where he has gone besides Indianapolis, there has been a quarterback controversey. Now qb controversey's can just occur over night as we all know with Johnson/Flutie a prime example.

But two in one guys carreer? That is fishy. There is no way to confirm it, but i think that Holcumb does lobby for himself in the locker room and to other players and that is something that you cannot have in a backup. What else would be the explanation for two qb controversies in ones carreer?

I've stated it before, Holcumb does not have the arm strength to carry this team anywhere, and never is this more evident than in person. On the August 8th night practices, it was almost shocking how soft and weak Holcumb's passes were. Many fell at the feet of receivers who were only 25 yeards out. My god, i think my g@y cousin could throw farther than that and probably with a little more touch than that as well. The appalling and discimforting thing about those play's imparticular was that each throw was followed almost immediately like a grunt of struggle.

This year we find out if Losman is the guy we try to to rebuild with. If not, next year we get someone else in the draft possibly. I don't think we want to rebuild with a Holcumb that has aged one more year.

So what would be the reasoning for keeping him around? :blush:

Anything is possible...but I think Jauron is fairly conservative...most coaches prefer to have one vetran in their rotation.  It doesn't seem like the kind of move that this current Bills administration would make...TD, maybe....

Nall and Losman are both pretty inexperienced...I wouldn't mind seeing Timm Rattay somewhere in the mix...I like Kingsbury a lot, but he does not have a real strong arm either, and is likely a career back-up.  Not sure what the salary cap implications would be, in cutting Holcomb.  It doesn't seem they would gain much by cutting him at this point, and it might just hurt the team, unless they had a definitive upgrade to replace him.  If that happens, the QB controversy keeps on going...

743551[/snapback]

Rattay would be an excellent pickup.

Its a thought that i have been debating with since i attended night practice on August 8th.

It is quite valuable in this league to have a sufficient back up quarterback as we all know from the Bledsoe/Brady fiasco. But is Holcumb the kind of back up that we want on the team this year.

Bottom line is that you want a back-up who can comprehend your offense and run it if necessary. This is usually thought to be for a game or two at the most. If your team loses its qb for the whole season they are likely not going to make the playoffs. There have been a few cases but likely not.

The Bills may want to think about eliminating the possibility of a mutiny on the team that would ultimatly kill the teams season, and ultimately ruin Losman's confidence.

His arm is not strong enough to lead a team in my opinion and with this it is almost impossible to stretch the field or diversify your offense in anyway. Thus offensive production will go down and players like Willis will cease to produce and many will lose their jobs.

Just want to know what you think.

743539[/snapback]

It was the first preseason game...in a new system...with a horrible oline and no Moulds....against a very good D. Sure he didn't look good, but cut him? Shouldn't we wait to see how JP does against STARTERS first?

Personally, I think that was Juron's plan all along. He wants JP to be the guy. So he lets Holcomb get killed against the Panthers starters. (JP would have been killed too) JP gets to play against the scrubs to build confidence, then gets to start the following week. It makes perfect sense.

Since there is little value cap wise to a decision to cut Holcomb (we will have even more cap room we will not spend) the only reason to cut him would be that the players are so juvenile that they want a clearly inadeqyate QB to run our system because JP proves to be inaduate.

We did do this last year because the theoretical adults (TD and MM) were increasingly clearly fighting.

Unless Marv and Jauron are also going to be juveniles I see no reason not to have KH be our disaster QB IF Nall proves to be worthy of the #2 slot.

If Marv and Jauron prove to be as juvenile as those who would want to cut a player who though not consistent enough to be a very good back-up is actually a better quality QB than many disaster QBs we are cooked anyway.

Our esteemed coleague Goo brings up an interesting point.

What is Holcumb going to do without Moulds?

No the answer is not throw to Lee Evans.

743997[/snapback]

Why do you continuously spell Holcomb's name wrong. If you think you're being funny, you're not-your posts look moronic.

Why do you continuously spell Holcomb's name wrong.  If you think you're being funny, you're not-your posts look moronic.

744149[/snapback]

Well i am sorry that i am mispelling his name. I really don't see any stab at humor in there, and i apologize profusely for the error.

Let's go with one QB to start the season. That way, nothing will get in the way of JP Losman starting.

How about he earns the starting job and plays well? That will shut up any complaining veterans on the team. If veterans are still looking for KH well into this season then I think it is because the Bills and Losman are sucking.

KH is not really the problem.

Let's go with one QB to start the season. That way, nothing will get in the way of JP Losman starting.

How about he earns the starting job and plays well? That will shut up any complaining veterans on the team. If veterans are still looking for KH well into this season then I think it is because the Bills and Losman are sucking.

KH is not really the problem.

744222[/snapback]

I would have to disagree with this comment.

Mainly because say you were working in an office building and they brought in a guy who gave the company more of a chance to make money. But you are a young in experienced guy that hasn't really gotten a fair chance, but you fear this guy may take your spot. Don't you think that would reduce your production and make you think you have to force things in the work field that may end up back firing on you?

Catch my drift? Or am I being Obtuse?

I would have to disagree with this comment.

Mainly because say you were working in an office building and they brought in a guy who gave the company more of a chance to make money. But you are a young in experienced guy that hasn't really gotten a fair chance, but you fear this guy may take your spot. Don't you think that would reduce your production and make you think you have to force things in the work field that may end up back firing on you?

Catch my drift? Or am I being Obtuse?

744227[/snapback]

Off-topic....where did the saints go in your Avatar? :blush: