Realistically, could Holcumb

BoondckCL

No the answer is not throw to Lee Evans.

743997[/snapback]

Of course not. Lee often finds himself ten yards or more downfield, well out of Holcomb's range. Meanwhile JP takes some flack for missing an "easy" touchdown on a ball he threw 50 yards downfield (and over 55 total if you factor in the angle hashmarks to sideline).

I think Holcomb is a valid backup, and I don't think the personal issues and mutiny ideas should be a large factor. But of Nall can show he can be a good #2, I don't think the difference in #3 quarterback is worth keeping noodle-arm around.

Also, I'm not knowledgable at all about these things, but aren't we under the cap this year? If so wouldn't a cap hit now be no big deal, as opposed to having his contract on the books next year when we might be closer to the cap?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holcomb is just plain terrible. I think 80% of Bills fans will agree with that. I don't think he should be cut because of a potential mutany, he should be cut because he sucks, and has no potential to get better. It is not like the Bills are contending for the Superbowl this year, I think most of us agree on that. We therefore do not need an aging vet, with no upside, who could possibly win a game or two if needed. Last year Tampa Bay had a much better team than the Bills do this year. They did not go for the aging no talent vet for a back up. Gruden chose three young guys to back up Brian Griese- Chris Simms, Tim Rattey, & Luke McCown. Tampa Bay found the future QB of the Bucs when Griese was injured & Sims took over. The Bucs drafted Bruce Gradkowski in the 6th round because Gruden loves his potential. If any of you cought the Jets - Bucs game Gradkowski looked like a 1st round pick (I don't think Pennington had a completion longer than 10 yards). There was speculation in todays newspaper that Rattey would soon be cut or traded ( He looked decent against the Jets - better than Pennington in my opinion). My opinion for what it is worth, is the Bills should go with Nall as a back up if they feel he has potential, or if not trade for Rattey or another young QB with potential to back up JP. There is no point in keeping Kelly on this team, the cap hit can't be that great - he was signed as a back up & the Bills have plenty of cap space. :blush:

Holcomb is just plain terrible. I think 80% of Bills fans will agree with that. I don't think he should be cut because of a potential mutany, he should be cut because he sucks, and has no potential to get better. It is not like the Bills are contending for the Superbowl this year, I think most of us agree on that. We therefore do not need an aging vet, with no upside, who could possibly win a game or two if needed. Last year Tampa Bay had a much better team than the Bills do this year. They did not go for the aging no talent vet for a back up. Gruden chose three young guys to back up Brian Griese- Chris Simms, Tim Rattey, & Luke McCown. Tampa Bay found the future QB of the Bucs when Griese was injured & Sims took over. The Bucs drafted Bruce Gradkowski in the 6th round because Gruden loves his potential. If any of you cought the Jets - Bucs game Gradkowski looked like a 1st round pick (I don't think Pennington had a completion longer than 10 yards). There was speculation in todays newspaper that Rattey would soon be cut or traded ( He looked decent against the Jets - better than Pennington in my opinion). My opinion for what it is worth, is the Bills should go with Nall as a back up if they feel he has potential, or if not trade for Rattey or another young QB with potential to back up JP. There is no point in keeping Kelly on this team, the cap hit can't be that great - he was signed as a back up & the Bills have plenty of cap space. :blush:

744256[/snapback]

Good post. I think if anything the Bills should take the cap hit this year so that they can have the free cap space next year (Not like its that much). Not only will we get the cap room next year, but we have the cap space this year to safely absorb the hit and not have it affect anything,

Holcomb is just plain terrible. I think 80% of Bills fans will agree with that. I don't think he should be cut because of a potential mutany, he should be cut because he sucks, and has no potential to get better. It is not like the Bills are contending for the Superbowl this year, I think most of us agree on that. We therefore do not need an aging vet, with no upside, who could possibly win a game or two if needed. Last year Tampa Bay had a much better team than the Bills do this year. They did not go for the aging no talent vet for a back up. Gruden chose three young guys to back up Brian Griese- Chris Simms, Tim Rattey, & Luke McCown. Tampa Bay found the future QB of the Bucs when Griese was injured & Sims took over. The Bucs drafted Bruce Gradkowski in the 6th round because Gruden loves his potential. If any of you cought the Jets - Bucs game Gradkowski looked like a 1st round pick (I don't think Pennington had a completion longer than 10 yards). There was speculation in todays newspaper that Rattey would soon be cut or traded ( He looked decent against the Jets - better than Pennington in my opinion). My opinion for what it is worth, is the Bills should go with Nall as a back up if they feel he has potential, or if not trade for Rattey or another young QB with potential to back up JP. There is no point in keeping Kelly on this team, the cap hit can't be that great - he was signed as a back up & the Bills have plenty of cap space. :rolleyes:

744256[/snapback]

Agree with almost everything - EXCEPT the Bills not contending for the Superbowl this season!

Cap room has little to do with it right now (thought that could change) - if Holcomb continues to decline (and let's face it - he looks worse this year than last), he could fall behind Nall and, conceivably, Kingsbury on the depth chart. At that point, we might want to use the roster spot for someone "on the bubble" who can help the team more than Kelly Holcomb this season.

And there are always "disaster" QBs available - Holcomb is certainly a disaster!

Good post. I think if anything the Bills should take the cap hit this year so that they can have the free cap space next year (Not like its that much). Not only will we get the cap room next year, but we have the cap space this year to safely absorb the hit and not have it affect anything,

744260[/snapback]

Very true. Future cap space if you have the room to take a cap hit now is always worth it.

This is why?

This is why you need to cut Kelly Holcomb! He will be a disruption no matter what during the regular season.

745181[/snapback]

I'm not going to defend Holcomb's ability to play QB, but he has been anything but a disruption. At least publically, he demonstrates a great team-first attitude. I can't recall once that he complained about not being the starter or getting playing time. He played lousy against Carolina and took it like a man. Until Nall shows something I think Holcomb is a good #2. Certainly his play overall last year was better than what he showed in very brief action last Saturday, and there is no reason to think that his play has slipped dramatically from that based on 4 plays.

It would be nice to pick up Kerry Collins IMO. Any news on who picked him up?

745238[/snapback]

He wants to be paid 4M a year...otherwise he wants to retire....For someone

who has no enthusisasm for the game, I will rather leave him retired....Anyways

his Raiders were 4-12 last year....

I'm not going to defend Holcomb's ability to play QB, but he has been anything but a disruption.  At least publically, he demonstrates a great team-first attitude.  I can't recall once that he complained about not being the starter or getting playing time.  He played lousy against Carolina and took it like a man.  Until Nall shows something I think Holcomb is a good #2.  Certainly his play overall last year was better than what he showed in very brief action last Saturday, and there is no reason to think that his play has slipped dramatically from that based on 4 plays.

745189[/snapback]

You mean he hasn't been poisoning teammates against his competition and planting anonymous stories about the other QB?

You mean he has played the best he could with what talent he has, has tried to be friends with JP, accepted opportunities to start when presented to him?

For that, he is hated. Hate the coach who puts the player in, not the player.

You mean he hasn't been poisoning teammates against his competition and planting anonymous stories about the other QB?

You mean he has played the best he could with what talent he has, has tried to be friends with JP, accepted opportunities to start when presented to him?

For that, he is hated. Hate the coach who puts the player in, not the player.

745875[/snapback]

He is "hated" because when given the opportunities to start he played like a big piece of CRAP. <_<

Although I get the feeling that half the forum will declare me the next holcomb advocate, since the Arm is MIA, I really really want to see Losman be the #1 QB the whole year, I think even if he sucks at Buffalo he could be great somewhere else with a better line. Now to the KH point:

I think KH is getting a bum rap. I think he has great accuracy, he doesn't throw very far, but that doesn't mean that if you ask him to throw a pass over 15 yards his arm will fall off. Last year he was asked to come in and as a back-up he performed admirably. Saying KH is a failure due to the Jets game is saying that JP is a bust for the New Englad game, actually Kelly did better than JP game by game, but for some odd reason, if you're over the age of 30 you aren't allowed to have an off game. He didn't move himself to be started (Meathead) and honestly this is probably the only time in his career that he's had a chance to start on a team other than Cleveland. I like KH, I think he's done what we've asked and even though he's not happy that he lost his one chance (if he ever really had one) I think he will accept that because he really does seem like a good guy. I remember vets wanting him in, but I never once read an article where Kelly flat out said that he DIDN'T support the coaches decisions, regardless of personal feelings.

I know this is a little biased being that it's mine research and therefore very fallible, but I honestly was trying to un-biased when I noticed that KH averaged us about 23 points a game last year WITH Bennie, Teague, CV, and Mike Williams being in charge of protecting him. Of course I also found stats that showed that about 60% of his passes went to EMO. The point is ignoring the Jets game KH had 8 TD's and 4 Int in 7 games and played well. Seriously, how many other QB's could play that well behind that line? He didn't play well enough to cover for our D, but to say KH sucks is rediculous. If Jauron and Marv cut him I'll support it because they know more about this than I do and I love the Bills.

But, I honestly believe that A) KH has never had the luxury of getting a chance to prove himself on a good football team up to this point. (Assuming we are good)

B) It's understandable to be dissapointed to lose a starting job after 4 pass attempts in a pre-season game. Besides I'm glad KH is dissapointed I'd rather have a player like that than one who doesn't seem to care like MW.