"Bust" Philip Rivers...

Dr. K

...15-21, 169 yards in one half of play against the Packers Saturday.

He threw a 22-yard touchdown pass (after a 17-yard TD pass was ruled out of bounds) on his first drive.  Led an 86-yard drive to TD in second quarter. QB rating for the game:  111.0

It's just one game, but the guy is going to be good.  It really annoyed me to hear people on the board (who prabably never saw him play) call him a "bust."

742911[/snapback]

Don't really have an opinion on P. Rivers but the Packers are the only team on the Bills schedule that I count as a sure win. When he performs against Denver and Pittsburgh like he did against the mighty Pack then you can start preparing his bust for Canton.... but the first preseason game .. at home.. against the Packers ..Let's take a deep breath and let the season unfold.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS IS NOT A POST ABOUT JP LOSMAN.

Before the season started I had a back-and-forth on this board with someone who called Rivers a "bust." I took issue with this on the grounds that he had only played in one game before this season, so how could he be a bust, but also that he had been one of the most amazing QBs I had ever seen while in college, gutsy and smart, and I would believe he would make it in the pros until he proved me wrong.

The Chargers come from 21-0 and 28-7 deficits to win 49-41 today. In this season of our discontent I have to say that it gives me pleasure that Rivers is doing so well for the them.

THAT'S ALL. YOU MAY RESUME YOUR BITCHING, ALREADY IN PROGRESS.

THIS IS NOT A POST ABOUT JP LOSMAN.

Before the season started I had a back-and-forth on this board with someone who called Rivers a "bust." I took issue with this on the grounds that he had only played in one game before this season, so how could he be a bust, but also that he had been one of the most amazing QBs I had ever seen while in college, gutsy and smart, and I would believe he would make it in the pros until he proved me wrong.

The Chargers come from 21-0 and 28-7 deficits to win 49-41 today.  In this season of our discontent I have to say that it gives me pleasure that Rivers is doing so well for the them.

THAT'S ALL. YOU MAY RESUME YOUR BITCHING, ALREADY IN PROGRESS.

834138[/snapback]

How did we NOT get Brees?

Guess what, if Rivers were on the Bills we'd be alot better. I'm not saying 7-2 better but comparing Rivers and Losman is night and day. Rivers is SO much better....as is Romo, etc.. The only guy Losman might be better than right now is Andrew Walter and a fading fast Mark Brunnell (Brunell has had a good career though).

you really think brees would be doing better behind this line

834177[/snapback]

Better then Losman. Brees can at least feel pressure. Sorry I know the line is bad, the qb also plays a huge part. However as bills fan we're so used to seeing bad qb play we forget what a good qb can do, and make up an excuse factory in order to feel better about the team. Not everything is the line. It's also the qb.

I don't think there's a fan on this board that wouldn't want to see JP get traded to the chargers straight up for Rivers. Won't happen, but JP has shown me enough to know what kind of quarterback he is. He's Jake Plummer in an offense that won't let him run around and try to make plays. He's not very accurate (yet), doesn't see the field well (yet) and makes dubious decisions in critical situations (still). I like the kid, but I do believe we have enough data to confirm that he's not likely to ever be the kind of stud that can put the team on his back and win the game with his own vision and decisions, ala Manning, Brady, Elway, Kelly, etc.

Im not sure why everybody keeps going with the "Look at what Manning/Rivers/Ben are doing", JP was a BORDERLINE 1st rounder who had work in progress written all over him, all three of the other QB's had monster college careers and were more than 1/2 year starters like JP was. They all have FAR SUPERIOR supporting casts and coaches around them as well, JP may not be the guy but this ORGANIZATION has done NOTHING to help his progress, at all, and if you don't believe that your a complete fool

I don't think there's a fan on this board that wouldn't want to see JP get traded to the chargers straight up for Rivers. Won't happen, but JP has shown me enough to know what kind of quarterback he is. He's Jake Plummer in an offense that won't let him run around and try to make plays. He's not very accurate (yet), doesn't see the field well (yet) and makes dubious decisions in critical situations (still). I like the kid, but I do believe we have enough data to confirm that he's not likely to ever be the kind of stud that can put the team on his back and win the game with his own vision and decisions, ala Manning, Brady, Elway, Kelly, etc.

834292[/snapback]

I don't think accuracy has been an issue for JP this year. He hasn't missed many open receivers once he has had time to set his feet and make up his mind to throw the ball. A lot of his haters are too blind $ fail to see that. His biggest issue is the offensive team as a whole: no identity or focus. There is no chemistry whatsoever. I mean even the game against the Jets where both JP and WM had big stat days but we lost, we never had any chemistry in that game just hit or miss. In the beginning of games where plays are scripted Fairchild does a decent job. He can call a few good plays but he is not a good strategist or putting his playmaker in position to make plays. For instance, since defenses focus on taking Evans out the game, he should be used more as a decoy. The fact that teams pack 7 or more defenders at the line of scrimmage on early downs knowing our percentages to run, we should make teams pay for that more and call more playactions. I hate to keep making up excuses for JP but what more can he do when he is constantly left to bail us out on 3rd down. And on top of that 60% of those attempts a missed blocking assignment allows a defender to run free.

Omg you people make me sick. The reason that the chargers came back today.... hmm..... could it be........ TOMLINSON'S 4 TOUCHDOWNS????? Philip Rivers has by far the best RB in the league, he does everything... runs, catches, and throws. All he has to do is hand the ball off, and when he has to pass..... he just throws it to one of the best TE's in the game..... but you're right.... he's an outstanding QB 0:)

Omg you people make me sick. The reason that the chargers came back today.... hmm..... could it be........ TOMLINSON'S 4 TOUCHDOWNS????? Philip Rivers has by far the best RB in the league, he does everything... runs, catches, and throws. All he has to do is hand the ball off, and when he has to pass..... he just throws it to one of the best TE's in the game..... but you're right.... he's an outstanding QB  0:)

834613[/snapback]

Gosh, we're sorry. I guess that 24 for 36, 337 yds, 3 td's, zero int's in a tough road environment was all LT.

LT is awesome don't get me wrong, but Rivers is good.