"Bust" Philip Rivers...

Dr. K

...15-21, 169 yards in one half of play against the Packers Saturday.

He threw a 22-yard touchdown pass (after a 17-yard TD pass was ruled out of bounds) on his first drive. Led an 86-yard drive to TD in second quarter. QB rating for the game: 111.0

It's just one game, but the guy is going to be good. It really annoyed me to hear people on the board (who prabably never saw him play) call him a "bust."

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He threw a 22-yard touchdown pass (after a 17-yard TD pass was ruled out of bounds) on his first drive.  Led an 86-yard drive to TD in second quarter. QB rating for the game:  111.0

It's just one game, but the guy is going to be good.  It really annoyed me to hear people on the board (who prabably never saw him play) call him a "bust."

742911[/snapback]

I was a big backer of Rivers coming out of college and was disappointed the Bills did not get a crack at him. Even though it was just preseason, his performance was encouraging. That being said, let's see how he does when the live bullets are flying come September.

Well SD did let go of a proven veteran QB in Brees who is still in his prime to hand the job over to an unproven, yet highly-drafted player.  That's a big gamble for the Chargers and a lot of pressure on Rivers.

PTR

742912[/snapback]

All true, but how does any of that make Rivers a "bust"?

He threw a 22-yard touchdown pass (after a 17-yard TD pass was ruled out of bounds) on his first drive.  Led an 86-yard drive to TD in second quarter. QB rating for the game:  111.0

It's just one game, but the guy is going to be good.  It really annoyed me to hear people on the board (who prabably never saw him play) call him a "bust."

742911[/snapback]

Labeling him a bust is extreme, I agree.

He's a question mark who needs to prove himself, plain and simple.

Kinda like JP last year except...

...LT is a notch above Willis...

...Marty Shott knows to run the ball sometimes...

...oh yeah they have the best tight end on the planet...

...oh yeah they have a competent O-Line....

....oh yeah they have a great D...

So I think SD will be alright with Rivers, but if we cut Holcomb and make Nall our #2, they could always sign Kelly and let him get half the starts to see if they can screw up Rivers season... 0:)

Well SD did let go of a proven veteran QB in Brees who is still in his prime to hand the job over to an unproven, yet highly-drafted player.  That's a big gamble for the Chargers and a lot of pressure on Rivers.

PTR

742912[/snapback]

742911[/snapback]

I thought QBs needed a full year as a starter under their belt before they could be any good?

742911[/snapback]

0:)

So sorry I doubted you Phillip Rivers! You are currently the 2nd greatest QB in the NFL, behind only Jay Cutler.

742911[/snapback]

Yeah, I like how the ESPN commentators and reporters have gone to suckin his toes after one preseason game. Also, all of the sports columnists around the states that were ripping the Chargers for letting Brees go are now writing articles about this guy like he's Joe Montana in re-incarnate form. Get real. These sorry bastards should own up to what they were saying 2 weeks ago and stand by their words. Or they should just admit they were wrong and then kiss his a@$ atleast. It would be tight if JP had a good year this year so we could see all of the columnists flip the script and start talking about how they saw potential in the guy and knew he would end up panning out and all that bull crap.

Yeah, I like how the ESPN commentators and reporters have gone to suckin his toes after one preseason game. Also, all of the sports columnists around the states that were ripping the Chargers for letting Brees go are now writing articles about this guy like he's Joe Montana in re-incarnate form. Get real. These sorry bastards should own up to what they were saying 2 weeks ago and stand by their words. Or they should just admit they were wrong and then kiss his a@$ atleast. It would be tight if JP had a good year this year so we could see all of the columnists flip the script and start talking about how they saw potential in the guy and knew he would end up panning out and all that bull crap.

742966[/snapback]

I haven't seen any of the ESPN stuff, but I agree with you. He deserves neither overwhelming praise or dissing. After all, it is only one game. I think, based on seeing Rivers in college (he played at NC State, where I work) that he is likely to be a good QB, but I could be wrong. But also there's no reason to write him off (or write Brees off, either).

Why do people who follow sports always have to go to extremes in their opinions? Either a player walks on water or he is dirt. It's like we insist on seeing sports as superhero comic books. I guess it's fun for adults to act like 13-year-olds sometimes, but a sense of perspective helps.

I haven't seen any of the ESPN stuff, but I agree with you.  He deserves neither overwhelming praise or dissing.  After all, it is only one game.  I think, based on seeing Rivers in college (he played at NC State, where I work) that he is likely to be a good QB, but I could be wrong. But also there's no reason to write him off (or write Brees off, either).

Why do people who follow sports always have to go to extremes in their opinions? Either a player walks on water or he is dirt. It's like we insist on seeing sports as superhero comic books.  I guess it's fun for adults to act like 13-year-olds sometimes, but a sense of perspective helps.

742968[/snapback]

His debut last season when Brees went down was less than good.

His college pass delivery questionmarks combined with the big contract will keep him under the microscope until he proves otherwise.

742911[/snapback]

i find it annoying that people say he is not a bust because he played well in one half of a pre-season game against one of the worst defenses in the league. The guy hasnt even started his second game in the NFL, there's no way one can say he is a bust, and there is no way that you can say that he isnt.

742911[/snapback]

He can't possibly be any good, he has only played in 4 regular season games and and we all know that a QB can't learn a darn thing until he has played a whole 16 game season, all other experience is useless. Or so I am told. 0:)

Its only preseason but I felt in the 04 draft Phillip Rivers was the best qb available and wanted the bills to get him very badly. Yeah his delivery was a little funky, but he's an extremely accurate qb. I think he holds the NCAA record for completition pct and I put a great deal of emphasis on accuracy more then any other qb attribute. This Rivers 3rd year now in the same system. Yeah it's his first time playing but I won't be suprised if he plays well during the course of the year.

742911[/snapback]

Nobody called him a "bust" (how can you, he's hardly played), though I did say I thought he would end up being a bust. There's a big difference between the two statements. Yeah, I saw the kid play in college a few times and despite one nice showing in the pre-season I don't think his game will translate to the pros. Time will tell. My applogies if that annoys you.

Do you think every QB drafted in the 1st round (of any given draft) will pan out? If not should it annoy me (or others) that you don't think a given QB will "make it" in the pros?

Does it annoy you that I think Vince Young will be the bust of this draft? I guess I've never seen him play if I think that.... 0:)

Kinda like JP last year except...

...LT is a notch above Willis...

...Marty Shott knows to run the ball sometimes...

...oh yeah they have the best tight end on the planet...

...oh yeah they have a competent O-Line....

....oh yeah they have a great D...

So I think SD will be alright with Rivers, but if we cut Holcomb and make Nall our #2, they could always sign Kelly and let him get half the starts to see if they can screw up Rivers season... 0:)

742947[/snapback]

So what you are really saying is the Chargers are just like the Bills only better ;);)