Pat Kirwans's Bills Preview

Dawgg

I believe your two points are directly related and #2 is a result of #1. As I listened to the NFL Sirrius Bills Camp Report I was amazed they picked up on the Willis MaGahee not being a "Buffalo Guy." I think a WNY caller got the coversation started. It wouldn't suprise me if Scott Bertchold (VP/Communications) scrambled and set up the MaGahee/Holcomb combo to semi-squash that thought process. I can see Holcomb playing along with the skit. Additionally, Pat Kirwin ended the interview by telling Holcomb to go win the job. The JP Losman interview that followed was very akward.

A couple of points that I noticed:

1. While they (Kirwan, Levy, Jauron, and Modrak) could name several leaders on the defensive side....they had difficulty naming one on the offensive side. They hope the winning QB will assume that role.

2. Tom Modrak on the John McCargo selection, "I knew we were going to take a lot of heat with the pick, but that's the player they wanted!!!"

Modrak qualifed statement by stating this coaching staff has done a better job of developing a scheme that fits the players. Unlike the previous staff that was forcing a scheme onto players.

3. Lastly, the common theme from the Bills ---Donte Whitner need to get into camp ASAP. They have big plans for him this year. Jauron noted that with Whitner, they wouldn't need a nickel back as to his excellent coverage ability on either WR or TE. He also said if a team went with 4 or five wide, they could match and feel very comfortable with any match up.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's talking about Troy Vincent.  Troy made references to last year that kelly was more ready and more comfortable, which is real important for a QB.  From the vets perspective, Troy said WE HAVE TO WIN NOW...players and coaches in this league are losing jobs because their team doesn't win.  Vincent did say JP is a year more experienced and looking better so far this camp.  He didn't come right out and say it, but vincent did leave the impression that he favored holcomb...at least last year, with more of a question mark this year.

733759[/snapback]

Now we know why broke his leg the season before.....

If u listened to the interviews on sirius yesterday, one thing stuck out that still bothers me.  When they were finishing up with holcomb and willis, kirwin said, "OK, thanks Kelly....now go win that starting job" then there was a pause, and then Kirwin says "PLEASE win that job".  Those are the last words b4 the commercial starts.

Kirwan is a Patriots shill. Hence the reason he's rooting for Holcomb. :devil:

In reference to bluenews response. About not being able to name a offensive leader, I think that the staff is hoping or relying on someone like Price. This aspect might have as much to do with his signing than anything else.

Apologies to Dawgg. I meant no disrespect or any undermining to your post in reguards to a QB choice. I believe Holcomb has to rely on other factors other than his ability to win a starting job whereas Losman will show that he can play this position. Now if Holcomb was the one to be hurt and not Nall, then I think that this thread would have taken a vastly different point of view.

If you're basing that on what you read from Kirwan, you need to rethink your troubles. Read Kirwan's report on the Pats and you'll realize how titled the dude is.

733735[/snapback]

When Kirwan speaks about the Patriots, he's very difficult to understand. It makes sense, though...I mean, it must be tough to enunciate with Belichick's d*ck in his mouth.

When Kirwan speaks about the Patriots, he's very difficult to understand.  It makes sense, though...I mean, it must be tough to enunciate with Belichick's d*ck in his mouth.

733916[/snapback]

At the end of his Pats review, he wrote something to the effect of "And I personally want to thank Kraft and Bellichick and the players for giving me an equal amount of time and talking to me and being in front of me and offering me a cold glass of iced tea with a nice fresh twist of lemon and a packet of Splenda. It was really delicious tea, and come to think of it, no other team offered me tea. Not one. Except Kelly and Willis. They offered me a sip from their water bottles."

1) JP Losman

"When Losman came to talk with me, he came alone. When Holcomb came by, he was with Willis McGahee. Everything counts in this battle, and developing relationships with your teammates is always a factor."

As I said in a previous post, JP seems like a pretty cool guy -- but from all indications at camp, he really doesn't seem to have too many good friends on the team.  When he was out that one night, he was witih McCargo and Fowler, two new guys... but just from my vantage point, he has not mingled much with other vets on the team.  Thought it was interesting that Kirwan touched on that as well.

2) Willis McGahee

"McGahee can play, but I never get the feeling he embraces the concept of being a team leader of the Buffalo Bills. He reminds me more of a veteran free agent signed to play well but never part of the "family." There's nothing wrong with his style, but it's hard not to get the feeling he will finish his career somewhere else down the road."

I couldn't have said it better myself and hope that is not the case.

Thoughts on either or both???

733688[/snapback]

I would much rather see Losman hanging with his center then Magehee.....honestly

Also....and this could just be my own observation...it seemed to me that in instances like going though stretches JPL seemed to be smack dab in the middle of his linemen.......

733949[/snapback]

.....like a fly on poop!!!

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for Losman in this whole mess. All reports by people who have hung out with him or sen him out are that he's a really nice, grounded guy. I really hope he gets it and takes control of this "competition." I'll be rooting xtra hard for him.

It bothered me the way Kirwan when he was talking to Holcomb was saying things like "you have to be the starter, now go out and win that job"

If I was JP and I heard him say that I would have said I'll pass hen asked to come on the show.

I thought it was kind of bush to tell you the truth. And I like listening to Tim and Pat a lot! They're usually pretty balanced.

Yep..we all know that Willis wants to play in a BIG city..probably in California, Florida. He likes the limelight and attention.. NO WAY he stays here..but for his sake (financially) he better start producing some big time numbers.

733695[/snapback]

Does WM being the fastest RB in Bills history to rush for 2000 yards consititute hm producing some big time #s that you suggest he "START" producing?

Rushing #s are far from the be all and end all of being a productive RB so I would not say he is the best Bill RB ever after a mere season and a half of starts. He needs to demonstrate that he can catch the ball as a pro as well as he caught it in brief attempts in college (an like all youngsters develop that ability even more). He also needs to show some improvement in his blitz pick-up ability particularly with the limitations our OL has shown.

One of the great things about Bills fans that in general they expect excellence from their players (though one of our greatest moments was the forgiveness and sense of family shown by several thousand fans in Niagara Sq. after he missed the FG so in addition to great expectations there is also forgiveness too when a player tries hard and wants to win).

However, one has to recognize first how short the WM career has been for the Bills, second remember the devastating injury he cane back from, and third recognize that he has produced well over 1000 yards in every (this means both) years he has started a majority of the games in a season for us.

He really has accomplished a lot individually for us and the plan is that if the team accomplished as much (with him as a key part but clearly by personality not a leader in a Darryl Talley like way of this group) we will be in the playoffs.

Does WM being the fastest RB in Bills history to rush for 2000 yards consititute hm producing some big time #s that you suggest he "START" producing?

734323[/snapback]

I don't attach much significance to that. The NFL has bent over backwards for a number of years, to juice up the offense.

A 1000-yard season was once a big deal. Not today.

If one could fast-forward an OJ, a TT, or a Cribbs to play under today's rules, I suspect they would equal or surpass WMG's numbers.

Having said that, WMG is a decent back, and deserves admiration for his injury comeback.

I'd much rather read the Chris Brown blog or Mike32282, who are at camp every day recording what is actually happening.

While I do respect the background and knowledge of Pat Kirwan, Peter King and various other national reporters, I place zero stock into what they report on the Bills. They blow into camp for 1 day and get other news 3rd hand over the phone. Yeah...that's credible <_< .

Cheap filler for a national website. Nothing more.

Here's a thought. Maybe Holcomb is trying to be buddy-buddy so he can solidify the

Hmmm, who would I rather have? An aging veteran who never really was a starting QB to speak of with a not-so-powerful arm? Or a exciting, young, mobile prospect (can I say veteran???) with a cannon for a arm? I might have to think about this one.

733723[/snapback]

Shades of Rob Johnson ... I'll take the better QB, which is KH.

1) JP Losman

"When Losman came to talk with me, he came alone. When Holcomb came by, he was with Willis McGahee. Everything counts in this battle, and developing relationships with your teammates is always a factor."

As I said in a previous post, JP seems like a pretty cool guy -- but from all indications at camp, he really doesn't seem to have too many good friends on the team.  When he was out that one night, he was witih McCargo and Fowler, two new guys... but just from my vantage point, he has not mingled much with other vets on the team.  Thought it was interesting that Kirwan touched on that as well.

2) Willis McGahee

"McGahee can play, but I never get the feeling he embraces the concept of being a team leader of the Buffalo Bills. He reminds me more of a veteran free agent signed to play well but never part of the "family." There's nothing wrong with his style, but it's hard not to get the feeling he will finish his career somewhere else down the road."

I couldn't have said it better myself and hope that is not the case.

733688[/snapback]

Logically, Kirwan's conclusion about Holcomb makes no sense:

He makes a big point about Holcomb hanging out with McGahee showing how well liked Holcomb is -- then follows that up by saying McGahee is a mercenary looking to bolt to another city come contract time and thus, not really part of the 'family' of teammates. <_<

So, I ask you...if McGahee is on the outside of the team looking in, how valuable politically is it for Holcomb to show up during a NATIONAL INTERVIEW with him by his side? :w00t:

Either Kirwan is wrong about his conclusions regarding McGahee, or he is wrong about Holcomb. He can't have it both ways.

My take? It is a pointless observation by a Journalist looking to fill up some more of the page.

I don't attach much significance to that. The NFL has bent over backwards for a number of years, to juice up the offense.

A 1000-yard season was once a big deal. Not today.

If one could fast-forward an OJ, a TT, or a Cribbs to play under today's rules, I suspect they would equal or surpass WMG's numbers.

Having said that, WMG is a decent back, and deserves admiration for his injury comeback.

734336[/snapback]

I wish people here would stop clinging to the 'fastest to 2000' stat. Who cares?! Evaluate him based on what you see. What I see is that he isn't even in the same realm as OJ or Thurman, early or not. Shaud Williams could run for 1000 yards a season is he was the feature back and got the carries, it's not a huge achievement anymore.

733688[/snapback]

Thoughts? Sure.

I think when you're discussing your team in this context you know you're in trouble. If "how many friends" a player has is what will make him great, then it's time to start following a new sport. If Holcomb starts for that reason, then we're screwed. It's a simple as that.