Do you think now that Nall is out indefinitely,

I don't think it will make a difference unless Holcomb steps it up. He has looked awful imo and his passes look very flat. I personally feel that this injury upsets Jauron a lot because the QB competition is mainly between Losman and Nall.

I know it's only day 2 of camp, but all reports are he's been the worst of the 3. He's done nothing so far to think he has a chance to be anything but 3rd string. If the injury is anything significant, he's not only out of the starter's job, but has no chance at #2. That said, he'll be 3rd stringer this year, when healthy, & if he can't get to 2nd string by 2007 it's sayonara. He's not looking like a good signing right now.

I know it's only day 2 of camp, but all reports are he's been the worst of the 3.  He's done nothing so far to think he has a chance to be anything but 3rd string.  If the injury is anything significant, he's not only out of the starter's job, but has no chance at #2.  That said, he'll be 3rd stringer this year, when healthy, & if he can't get to 2nd string by 2007 it's sayonara.  He's not looking like a good signing right now.

731405[/snapback]

IMO, that's not true at all. Holcomb has been the worst by far. Today he made horrible throws that showed his arm strength has gotten worse. Nall had some good throws, but just like Holcomb and Losman, he sucked today too. All three quarterbacks were awful this afternoon. Hopefully Losman kicks it up a notch.

I think Holcomb has a sissy arm and is accurate and smart with decisions, while Losman has a cannon and makes awful decisions. We're pretty much screwed I think... :w00t:

Nall may have just tweaked his hammy but it'll definitely hurt his starting chances. Hopefully it isn't too bad and he can get back in there quickly.

I don't have much confidence in Losman or Holcomb.

He's done nothing so far to think he has a chance to be anything but 3rd string. If the injury is anything significant, he's not only out of the starter's job, but has no chance at #2. That said, he'll be 3rd stringer this year, when healthy, & if he can't get to 2nd string by 2007 it's sayonara. He's not looking like a good signing right now.

Wow, i'm glad your not my boss. two days and nall is already a bust.

IMO, that's not true at all.  Holcomb has been the worst by far.  Today he made horrible throws that showed his arm strength has gotten worse.  Nall had some good throws, but just like Holcomb and Losman, he sucked today too.  All three quarterbacks were awful this afternoon.  Hopefully Losman kicks it up a notch.

731406[/snapback]

Since I was basing my statement on what I heard on WGR, and it didn't include this afternoon, I'll take your word on Holcomb. What WGR said was JP looked the best until he threw the INT to Greer, and then went into a funk-I guess it carried over to this afternoon. They had nothing good to say about Nall. Their next broadcast is tommorrow morning at 10, so I'll check out their take on Nall's afternoon-unless 1)they're unavailable on line again, or 2)they decide to talk only about the Sabres :w00t:

I think Holcomb has a sissy arm and is accurate and smart with decisions, while Losman has a cannon and makes awful decisions. We're pretty much screwed I think... :w00t:

Nall may have just tweaked his hammy but it'll definitely hurt his starting chances. Hopefully it isn't too bad and he can get back in there quickly.

I don't have much confidence in Losman or Holcomb.

731409[/snapback]

Holcomb's noodle arm isn't helping his decisions either. He had at least 3 INTs or close to INTs if the DBs could hang on.

He's done nothing so far to think he has a chance to be anything but 3rd string.  If the injury is anything significant, he's not only out of the starter's job, but has no chance at #2.  That said, he'll be 3rd stringer this year, when healthy, & if he can't get to 2nd string by 2007 it's sayonara.  He's not looking like a good signing right now.

Wow, i'm glad your not my boss. two days and nall is already a bust.

731411[/snapback]

2 days & all the minicamps. Marv & Dick have already cut some guys based on minicamp, & Minnesota cut A.J.'s son Kyle Smith, before camp even began. So I don't think I'm being that harsh.

Since I was basing my statement on what I heard on WGR, and it didn't include this afternoon, I'll take your word on Holcomb.  What WGR said was JP looked the best until he threw the INT to Greer, and then went into a funk-I guess it carried over to this afternoon.  They had nothing good to say about Nall.  Their next broadcast is tommorrow morning at 10, so I'll check out their take on Nall's afternoon-unless 1)they're unavailable on line again, or 2)they decide to talk only about the Sabres :w00t:

731412[/snapback]

for some reason Paul Hamilton doesnt seem to like anything out of Craig Nall. I don't know why, but he has never said much positive about him. :w00t:

It depends on the severity of the injury.

There's a 'tweek', where you should take it easy for a couple of days. Being a QB although it might hamper him some, it wouldn't even prevent him from fully partaking in practice.

At the other end of the spectrum is the 'having trouble limping for weeks', which would effectively remove him from starting QB contention.

Not having seen the incident, I would assume that it's more likely toward the minor side, in which case, there's ample opportunity to continue to observe him equally w/ the the other candidates.

Not really, its JPs job to lose

731434[/snapback]

I agree. But he better step it up. Right now he's still letting his mistakes bother him too much and thats not good, because he did that last season. :w00t:

It seems like Losman has a bad habit of trying to make the huge play instead of being a bit more conservative and just making sound decisions. The big plays will come, he just needs to be more patient in my opinion.

Turnovers will kill this year...we need to keep them down to a minimum.

Not really, its JPs job to lose

731434[/snapback]

Exactly. The whole competition thing is a big smoke screen and the Bills are selling the whole competition thing well. JP clearly has the best talent and upside and they want him to earn it. It'll make him better and more respected by his teamates. JP's got to stay healthy to earn it. Kelly is a terrific backup, not only in terms of his ability to step in and efficiently run the offense, but also in terms of his attitude. He's a class guy that is comfortable in that role and won't upset the applecart if he doesn't start. Nall is an unknown, but Green Bat let him go easily without a fight. With Favre aging and Rogers very unproven to date, you would expect them to make an effort to retain a guy that has been in their system if he had shown them some upside. Nalls injury hurts his chances to be #2.

I say no.  But I really hope his injury is not to serious.  I really want Nall to get the job.

Sites like billsdaily.com think so....

http://www.billsdaily.com/news/index.shtml#072906

Nall Injured: Quarterback Craig Nall was injured in Saturday's second practice session and was being attended to after injuring his left hamstring. The extent of his injury is not known at this time. If the injury is serious it could reduce the starting quarterback competition to two signal callers - J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb.

731388[/snapback]

Not that I wish injury on any player, let alone our own, I for one do not want to see him as our starter. He's shown even less to date than Losman. Yet, If he did, I'd back him until orif he shows otherwise.

Holcomb, is the known commodity, and he's simply not going to take anyone anywhere.

i dont really think nall is "really " in contention for the job anyways................when camp is over j.p will be starting the 1st game of the season in foxboro.

I'm not sure why so many people feel this way. Levy wasn't GM when Losman was picked, nor Jauron head coach, nor Fairchild the offensive coordinator. If the plan was to give Losman the starting spot all along, why bring in Nall? Why give Nall so much practice time, when that time could have been given to JP?

You could say that they needed a charade of a competition anyway, so that Losman could earn his teammates' respect. But with Holcomb on the roster, it could have been a two man charade; with Losman getting more playing time than he's getting now.

The bottom line is that Nall's done well in the preseason, NFL Europe, and in what little regular season playing time he's been given. He's the only one of the three QBs selected by the new regime. He's highly respected by many Green Bay fans. Other Favre backups have gone on to have successful starting careers elsewhere. Why not Nall?

Other Favre backups have gone on to have successful starting careers elsewhere.  Why not Nall?

731529[/snapback]

I would love to have Nall succeed as much as any other buffalo bills fan, even if he can come close to what a Brunell or Hasselbeck have done.....However,

both Brunell and Hasselbeck were traded for high/middle draft picks especially

when it was clear they had no chance to unseat Favre....

Considering that Favre was at the end of his career and Rogers was unproven you would think the Packers would have resigned this guy for a few more years hoping to see if he was the diamond in the rough as you paint it....

Considering that Favre was at the end of his career and Rogers was unproven you would think the Packers would have resigned this guy for a few more years hoping to see if he was the diamond in the rough as you paint it....

731798[/snapback]

With Aaron Rogers on the team, I don't think Nall was that interested in doing an extension.

With Aaron Rogers on the team, I don't think Nall was that interested in doing an extension.

731810[/snapback]

That seems silly....Here is a guy who is loved by the Green Bay fans and has

been tutored under that West Coast offense for 4 years and has learnt it

under the master Favre himself for 4 years and yet both Green Bay and

Nall decide that all that was done in 4 years is nothing because a 1st rounder

who has struggled to get anything done and has been a bench warmer will

unseat him, a guy who has 4 years experience under the system....and the

guy wants to move to a system that is completely different from the WC

system that he has learnt and mastered in 4 years....Something is wrong

with this picture...

If the old regime of the Packers were sold on Craig Nall as the heir apparent,

they would not have drafted Rogers in the 1st round of the NFL draft. They

had so many other needs on their defense.

If the new regime in Packer land was sold on Craig Nall, then they would

have given him a promise to compete for the starting job with Rogers who

BTW has done nothing until now...

The only thing I heard from Nall is that he wanted to come to Buffalo because he had a chance at the starting job...which means the door was closed on him

in Green Bay....The same rules applies as in buffalo....Green bay has a new

coaching staff and they don't owe anything to the Rogers hire...They get to

pick who is their best QB and go with it....

Even if Nall had to wait for another year behind Favre, if he was promised a

shot at the starting position in a system where he has spent 4 years understanding

the X & Os, I am sure he wouldn't have minded hanging in there for another year.

There's a 'tweek', where you should take it easy for a couple of days.  Being a QB although it might hamper him some, it wouldn't even prevent him from fully partaking in practice.

At the other end of the spectrum is the 'having trouble limping for weeks', which would effectively remove him from starting QB contention.

Not having seen the incident, I would assume that it's more likely toward the minor side, in which case, there's ample opportunity to continue to observe him equally w/ the  the other candidates.

731421[/snapback]

Depending on the severity, he can be out from two weeks to three months. Three months if it is a grade one injury with tears to the fibers. Look to Brian Bannister, rookie pitcher for the Mets as an example of the worst kind.

Besides that, I think JP will make an improvement this year just based on his mental approach and learning process from last year's miserable experience. Something tells me he will step it up, and make more big plays than mistakes. The new regime will have more patience and help him get better. In Marv, we trust!

There's a 'tweek', where you should take it easy for a couple of days.  Being a QB although it might hamper him some, it wouldn't even prevent him from fully partaking in practice.

Not having seen the incident, I would assume that it's more likely toward the minor side, in which case, there's ample opportunity to continue to observe him equally w/ the  the other candidates.

731421[/snapback]

It's more than a 'tweek'. If it's a week or more then he's out of the competition. Which really means there is no competition left.

The 3-way isn't working, for my money. The QBs jump in for three plays, two plays, one play and then wait. No continuity. I don't think that procedure was going to weed anyone out of the mix. Alternating between 2, the staff might be able to get a read. Let each alternate a series. The other method was hurting all three, IMO

Now, off to camp.

I'm new to the board, but have been a Bills fan for 30 years...

I've seen QBs great (Kelly), good (Ferguson), average (Flutie), below average (Reich) and hopeless (Johnson).

Right now, I'd slot Losman in between "below average" and "hopeless".

Holcomb isn't much better either, making this the worst QB controversy since Holcomb vs. Couch in Cleveland a couple of years ago.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong about JP, but he could go down as final proof that the Pittsburgh Steelers of the late 1990's were all about Cowher and not about Donahoe.

I'm new to the board, but have been a Bills fan for 30 years...

I've seen QBs great (Kelly), good (Ferguson), average (Flutie), below average (Reich) and hopeless (Johnson).

Right now, I'd slot Losman in between "below average" and "hopeless".

Holcomb isn't much better either, making this the worst QB controversy since Holcomb vs. Couch in Cleveland a couple of years ago.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong about JP, but he could go down as final proof that the Pittsburgh Steelers of the late 1990's were all about Cowher and not about Donahoe.

731970[/snapback]

Welcome!

I know Nall hasn't looked very good in camp so far and the injury sets him back, but there's something about the guy. I really think he's a "gamer" type of QB who will get it done if he gets the chance. We had one of the best practice QB's in the history of the NFL (Johnson) and look how he did on Sundays. I don't have anything tangible to make my argument with, it's just an impression I get from the situation.

It is Losman's season. He will perform, and if so, we will do pretty well. If he doesn't, we will have an extremely high draft pick at the end of the season. I don't see Nall fitting into the picture at all if he is out for more than a week or two. He pretty much had to come in and wow the Bills if he was going to get more than a cursory look.

That seems silly....Here is a guy who is loved by the Green Bay fans and has

been tutored under that West Coast offense for 4 years and has learnt it

under the master Favre himself for 4 years and yet both Green Bay and

Nall decide that all that was done in 4 years is nothing because a 1st rounder

who has struggled to get anything done and has been a bench warmer will

unseat him, a guy who has 4 years experience under the system....and the

guy wants to move to a system that is completely different from the WC

system that he has learnt and mastered in  4 years

Now that's one long sentence! :D You make good points in your post. I agree Green Bay's old regime wasn't sold on Nall. Then again, Mike Sherman was relieved of his GM duties for a reason. Just because Sherman wasn't interested in a guy, doesn't necessarily mean that guy isn't any good.

As for Green Bay's new regime, it's tougher to say. Maybe they really liked what they saw of Aaron Rogers in practice. Maybe Nall felt Rogers would get the benefit of the doubt due to his first round status. Suppose the following happened: Favre played for two more years, after which Rogers was put in due to his first roud pick status. He uses another two years convincing the staff he's not the answer; after which Nall is given a legitimate shot.

In Buffalo, this process is further along. The established aging veteran is long gone, and the first round draft pick is already eight starts into the process of convincing the staff he's not the answer. Also, it's quite possible Nall felt Losman would be weaker competition than Rogers.