What are you expecting from the Bills DTs in 2006?

I'm not trying to sound too negative or anything but I could see the interior of the D-line really being the achillies heel of this defense. I just got done watching some of last years games on the Ol' Tivo (Weeks 12-16) and I have to say that I think Tim Anderson could possibly be the worst player on this roster. I know he was supposed to be getting his feet wet last year, but from what I saw he tends to get blown 10 yards off the line of scrimmage on every play. I've heard a lot of refrences to "Anderson's improved play last year" but I just don't see it. I'm not thrilled about the idea of him starting at the nose this year and occupying the bulk of the double teams.

Triplett is a great 3-tech DT and I'm glad we were able to sign him. I also liked the John McCargo pick, his "up the field" quickness was pretty impressive at the combine and believe he will turn into a very good player eventually (also in the3-Tech DT mold). Having both McCargo and Tripplett on the field in passing situations should really improve our 3rd down pass rush. My concern is... the coaching staff has hinted that he could also see time at Nose Tackle. I'm not one to put too much into combine workouts but I do put some stock in them. From what I remember McCargo was able to get 22 or 23 reps in the bench press; that number doesn't overly impress me for a man of his size.

Overall I am excited about McCargo and Williams but I'm not that sure what to expect from either one of them this season; but I'm hoping they exceed my expectations (Tim Anderson too). I just don't see a DT on this roster who seems suited for NT.

And before I get burned for it........I know Tim Anderson's not the worst player on the roster but am I the only one who thought he was fuggin terrible last year? What are everyone's expectations for this year's crop of DTs?

I'm not trying to sound too negative or anything but I could see the interior of the D-line really being the achillies heel of this defense.  I just got done watching some of last years games on the Ol' Tivo (Weeks 12-16) and I have to say that I think Tim Anderson could possibly be the worst player on this roster.  I know he was supposed to be getting his feet wet last year, but from what I saw he tends to get blown 10 yards off the line of scrimmage on every play.  I've heard a lot of refrences to "Anderson's improved play last year" but I just don't see it.  I'm not thrilled about the idea of him starting at the nose this year and occupying the bulk of the double teams.

Triplett is a great 3-tech DT and I'm glad we were able to sign him.  I also liked the John McCargo pick, his "up the field" quickness was pretty impressive at the combine and believe he will turn into a very good player eventually (also in the3-Tech DT mold).  Having both McCargo and Tripplett on the field in passing situations should really improve our 3rd down pass rush.  My concern is... the coaching staff has hinted that he could also see time at Nose Tackle.  I'm not one to put too much into combine workouts but I do put some stock in them. From what I remember McCargo was able to get 22 or 23 reps in the bench press; that number doesn't overly impress me for a man of his size. 

Overall I am excited about McCargo and Williams but I'm not that sure what to expect from either one of them this season; but I'm hoping they exceed my expectations (Tim Anderson too).  I just don't see a DT on this roster who seems suited for NT.

And before I get burned for it........I know Tim Anderson's not the worst player on the roster but am I the only one who thought he was fuggin terrible last year?  What are everyone's expectations for this year's crop of DTs?

730379[/snapback]

I don't think Tim was terrible. I thought Sam Adams looked stellar in some games and bad in others. Anderson fared just OK for a first-time starter. I expect good things from Tripplett, and for McCargo to push for playing time and to be the #1 NT.

Other than maybe QB (still hoping for JP to come through), I think the interior DL is by far the weakest link on the team, at least on paper right now. Nothing but maybes: Maybe Tripplett is ready to take a lead role. Maybe the new scheme makes a difference for Tiny Tim. Maybe McCargo + Williams aren't that green and can at least add quality depth.

Then again, I don't see how it could be any worse than last year, so I expect to see at least some improvement, especially with Fat Sam's lazy ass gone... at least these guys will hustle. It's a damn shame we couldn't get Ryan Pickett to come here though. ;)

As a relocated Bills fan who has NC State in his backyard, I'll just say I'm not overly excited about McCargo. My feelings are he'll be average at best. I hope I'm wrong though.

730385[/snapback]

Whenever multiple D-Linemen are chosen from the same school in the 1st round I am a bit skeptical. In McCargo's case there were three(McCargo along with Mario Williams & Manny Lawson). I'm hoping like hell it was McCargo who helped make the other two look better but....I have a feeling that all three will not perform at the level expected in their pro careers.

I also have the same reservations when looking at offensive players from the same school.

Personaly Im amped up about McCargo. I thought he was the 3rd best dt in this draft outside of Bunkley and Claude Wrotten. He's an explosive guy whos pretty damn strong, the problem was he hasnt been healthy but when he is he's extremely quick off the snap. It'll probably be a year or two before he comes into his own. The only issue I have with McCargo is his durability but if he's healthy I think he'll be prove to be a very good dt.

I expect absolutly nothing out of Tim Anderson. While he wasn't our worst dt last year that honor belonged to justin banan. I remember being at the week 17 jets game and coming away unimpressed about Anderson although he did hold his own he just didnt do much of anything else, and hoping banan was no longer on the team after last season. With a definite increased role anderson will have to step up.

Triplett I believe is a great fit for this system and a definite great fit as we will be rotating our dline. He'll be able to help the younger players McCargo/Anderson/Williams adapt to the system and I look for him to improve on his numbers from last season. I dont expect all that much from kyle williams

I am not sold on Anderson. It is still too early. The rush was great against weak teams but feeble against others (Chargers).

Speaking of the Jets thet beefed up on the offensive line especially with D'Brick and Mangold. So the Bills better find a rush. They also have Trey Teague. Yeah, I know...

I feel exactly the opposite....

I think that the DT's now on the roster will benefit from the scheme we will employ......

Tripplett - will have a big year

McCargo - will make big plays in certain situations

Anderson - will be steady but unspectacular

Kyle Williams - This is my sleeper.....this kid has all of the physical tools and some of the ones you cannot teach to be a real cog in the NFL......I think he leapfrogs anderson next year.....

I feel exactly the opposite....

I think that the DT's now on the roster will benefit from the scheme we will employ......

Tripplett - will have a big year

McCargo - will make big plays in certain situations

Anderson - will be steady but unspectacular

Kyle Williams - This is my sleeper.....this kid has all of the physical tools and some of the ones you cannot teach to be a real cog in the NFL......I think he leapfrogs anderson next year.....

730462[/snapback]

Don't be shocked if the Bills pick up a D-lineman or two after the last cuts. Could be a vet or two available that can help.

I'm not sold on any of them until I know they passed the Krumrie test.  Oops...I forgot this great coach is no longer here.  How are we going to do without his ranting in a t-shirt on a cold December day.  ;)

730401[/snapback]

May be turn on the pre-game show for the KC Chiefs. ;)

I am not sold on Anderson.  It is still too early.  The rush was great against weak teams but feeble against others (Chargers). 

Speaking of the Jets thet beefed up on the offensive line especially with D'Brick and Mangold.  So the Bills better find a rush.  They also have Trey Teague.  Yeah, I know...

730426[/snapback]

Trey Teague is sort of out indefinitely after breaking a bone.....Mangold will see all the action during the preseason and is likely to get the starting nod....I am glad

we don't have to see Mawae twice a year

I really don't understand what the Bills are thinking going into camp without even one massive goal-line roadblock on the rosters, but Jauron was a good defensive coordinator, so I will trust his decision on this for now. I expect the DTs to be very active, running around in the offensive backfields a lot, but I cannot see them stopping Chris Brown up the middle on 4th and goal from the one.

I really don't understand what the Bills are thinking going into camp without even one massive goal-line roadblock on the rosters, but Jauron was a good defensive coordinator, so I will trust his decision on this for now. I expect the DTs to be very active, running around in the offensive backfields a lot, but I cannot see them stopping Chris Brown up the middle on 4th and goal from the one.

Don't worry. Chris Brown will be injured by the time the Titans game rolls around. ;)

Unless you meant Bills Digest editor Chris Brown, who is tiny.

Whenever multiple D-Linemen are chosen from the same school in the 1st round I am a bit skeptical.  In McCargo's case there were three(McCargo along with Mario Williams & Manny Lawson).  I'm hoping like hell it was McCargo who helped make the other two look better but....I have a feeling that all three will not perform at the level expected in their pro careers.

I also have the same reservations when looking at offensive players from the same school.

730413[/snapback]

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/acc/200...ate_defense.htm