What was the most heart breaking non-playoff game?

duey

The "Just Give it to Them" game! (It may qualify as more blood-vessel-popping than heart-breaking, though.)

A couple of years before, with Todd Collins at QB, I had begun to hate the Patsies when Poodle Pete ran up the score against Marv in his last year of coaching. Then, the Just Give it To Them game sealed it.

Die, Patsies! DIE! DIE! DIE!!!!!!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Game at NE with the bad Calls on NE's last drive (one 4th Down Call where the Replay clearly showed the Receiver was a Yard Short of the 1st Down when he went out of bounds, and the the PI Call on the Hail Mary)...Bledsoe threw a PA Pass for the Game Winning TD on the next Play after the PI I believe...

That Game for Me will always go down as the ultimate Regular Season screw-job...And was a HUGE reason why I could never quite swallow DB as a Bills QB... :devil:

That Game for Me will always go down as the ultimate Regular Season screw-job...And was a HUGE reason why I could never quite swallow DB as a Bills QB... :devil:

720348[/snapback]

Even when he became a Bill he never admitted those were bogus calls :lol:

The Game at NE with the bad Calls on NE's last drive (one 4th Down Call where the Replay clearly showed the Receiver was a Yard Short of the 1st Down when he went out of bounds, and the the PI Call on the Hail Mary)...Bledsoe threw a PA Pass for the Game Winning TD on the next Play after the PI I believe...

720348[/snapback]

I was at that game. Flutie, our little miracle worker, couldn't gain 1 yd for a 1st down to ice the game with a minute left. Instead we had to see that cluster-hosejob by the refs. I recall Wade Phillips pulled the team from the field in protest, so the extra point by NE was uncontested. So what did they do? Classy team they are, they ran it in for two!

PTR

I was at that game.  Flutie, our little miracle worker, couldn't gain 1 yd for a 1st down to ice the game with a minute left.  Instead we had to see that cluster-hosejob by the refs.  I recall Wade Phillips pulled the team from the field in protest, so the extra point by NE was uncontested.  So what did they do?  Classy team they are, they ran it in for two!

PTR

720482[/snapback]

I'm the president of the Frutie-hating fan club. But I'm pretty sure we scored the go-ahead TD on the next-to-last possession and never had a chance to run out the clock.

That game itself wasn't as annoying as much as the fact that it cost us a perfect 4-0 playoff record vs. the Dolfags, since the wildcard game that year could've/should've been in Buffalo.

Also, that same year we blew a huge lead vs. the 4-12 Tony Banks led Rams in the Week 3 home opener. Interestingly, 2 of the Rams other 3 wins that year came against the Jets & Pats - both playoff teams; although NE didn't deserve to be in the playoffs because of the aforementioned game.

Yeah, Pete Carrol was/is a deuchebag.

I remember a game in Miami where Kelly was driving to score a kill-shot TD, when inexplicably he threw a meatball to Louis Oliver (I think) at the one yard line, who subsequently took it 99 yards down the sideline to put the fish up and eventually give them the win. I broke a remote control THAT day.

I was at that game.  Flutie, our little miracle worker, couldn't gain 1 yd for a 1st down to ice the game with a minute left.  Instead we had to see that cluster-hosejob by the refs.  I recall Wade Phillips pulled the team from the field in protest, so the extra point by NE was uncontested.  So what did they do?  Classy team they are, they ran it in for two!

PTR

720482[/snapback]

And if memory serves, the two-point conversion allowed the Pats to win by four, thus covering the 3 1/2 point spread.

I would have loved to been in Vegas when that went down...

For me it was two games during Jim Kelly's last season in 1996.

The first was Kelly's first game back after the hammy injury -- and it was against Miami. The offense had sputtered badly in the first half -- but was starting to come on in the second. WIth seconds to go, Kelly hooked up with Reed on a crossing route that looked to go the distance for the tying score. However, Reed inexplicably slowed down just before the goal line -- and was tackled at the 1-yard line, while trying to stiff arm the DB that caught him from behind. The offense went with a play-fake on first down, but the defense sniffed it out, so Kelly did the smart thing and threw the ball away. An official throws the flag for inetentional grounding! With 2 more unsuccessful tries to punch it in, Kelly tries to force the ball on 4th down -- and it's picked off and run the other way for a TD. I think the part of this game that still makes me want to vomit is the sight of Jimmy Johnson jumping for joy on the sidelines.

The other game from that year was an ESPN Sunday night game against New England. The Bills had rallied to go ahead with only about 3 minutes left to go. Ahead by 4, all the defense needed to do was keep the Patriots out of the endzone. Well, Bledsoe drove the Pats down there quickly and scored the go ahead TD on a screen pass to Curtis Martin. The Bills got the ball back with only about a minute to go -- but with decent field position and just needing to gain 20-30 yards to get in field goal position to tie the game. Willie McGinist (Has he really been around that long?) fakes the pass rush -- and drops back in coverage to pick off Kelly's pass and return it for a TD... icing the game. But not so fast. On the next play after the kickoff, Kelly hits Reed for the TD on a Hail Mary. The Bills fail to recover the on sides kick, and the Patriots win. As a result of that single game, the Pats win the division (and a 1st round playoff bye) -- and the Bills have to settle for a Wild Card spot. The Pats go onto the Super Bowl -- and Buffalo gets bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

For me it was two games during Jim Kelly's last season in 1996.

The first was Kelly's first game back after the hammy injury -- and it was against Miami. The offense had sputtered badly in the first half -- but was starting to come on in the second. WIth seconds to go, Kelly hooked up with Reed on a crossing route that looked to go the distance for the tying score. However, Reed inexplicably slowed down just before the goal line -- and was tackled at the 1-yard line, while trying to stiff arm the DB that caught him from behind. The offense went with a play-fake on first down, but the defense sniffed it out, so Kelly did the smart thing and threw the ball away. An official throws the flag for inetentional grounding! With 2 more unsuccessful tries to punch it in, Kelly tries to force the ball on 4th down -- and it's picked off and run the other way for a TD. I think the part of this game that still makes me want to vomit is the sight of Jimmy Johnson jumping for joy on the sidelines.

720658[/snapback]

Yes, I remember that game well. Horrible call on the grounding. I've seen QB's toss the ball thru the goalposts once per game for the last 10 years and that was the only time I've seen a penalty called.

I don't know what Buffalo ever did to piss of Terrell Buckley - the guy was a horrible player against every other team.

I don't know what Buffalo ever did to piss of Terrell Buckley - the guy was a horrible player against every other team.

720661[/snapback]

May be he knew that in the future Moulds will either spit on him or his teammate

Madison :devil:

Yes, I remember that game well.  Horrible call on the grounding.  I've seen QB's toss the ball thru the goalposts once per game for the last 10 years and that was the only time I've seen a penalty called. 

720661[/snapback]

From my earlier post:

"I remember a game in Miami where Kelly was driving to score a kill-shot TD, when inexplicably he threw a meatball to Louis Oliver (I think) at the one yard line, who subsequently took it 99 yards down the sideline to put the fish up and eventually give them the win. I broke a remote control THAT day."

Thanks. I thought it was Oliver. I hate Terrell Buckley.

I remember a 10-5 loss to the 3-10 Tampa Bay Bucs in week 14 (we were 11-2 I believe) which eventually cost the Bills home-field advantage in 1988.

But the worst was this one:

Sunday Dec 7 1975 Bills at dolphins

Bills go down 21-0 but close gap to 24-21.  Late in 4th, Miami runner fumbles at fish 43 yd line.  Bills DE Pat Toomay goes for the ball.  Refs blow play dead and flag Toomay for bumping into referee.  Don Nottingham runs 56 yards to the 1 on the next play, then Norm Bulaich scores on the next play to knock the Bills out of the playoffs and continue the Bills 0 fer the 70s against the fish.

Ralph Wilson looses it post-game and is heavily fined for criticizing the refs.

720032[/snapback]

I remember that game, because I heaved my shoe through my dorm wall. Mercury Morris was hit by Tony Greene, I think, and he was actually upside down on his way to the turf when the ball popped out, before any part of his body hit the ground. The Bills recovered. The refs said, "no fumble," it was a horrific call.

I was wondering if one of the veterans on this board would point that out. It comes up every couple years. Imagine had the Bills won that game, what a better world this would be.

True, but as posted earlier, the game that really gave the Bengals home field that year was the embarrassing 10-5 loss in Tampa a few weeks earlier. Oh, the humanity.

720187[/snapback]

The other thing I remember about that 10-5 loss to Tampa is that we had some people over for the game, and this one girl walked over to our Christmas tree and snapped off a branch. Why? It was blocking her view. Could've moved her barstoll a foot to the left. I was thinking of a word to describe her, and it rhymes with something that Chris Mohr did for a living.

With all the posts about the no-punt game, it made me remember another game at the 'Stick...

Jim drives the Bills down to the SF goal line in the closing moments of the game.  Darrick Holmes takes the handoff and leaps towards what seems like a sure go-ahead score.  He is met head-on and fumbles.  The ball is then picked up and run back the entire length of the field for a touchdown.

What a tough loss that was...and I think it was nationally televised since I was able to see it her in the NYC area.

719762[/snapback]

I'll give you two and both are against Miami.

1 -- Last year - I will always remember Moulds fighting with the coaches and quitting. I hurt to blow such a big lead.

2 -- Back in about 1978 or 79. Tom Dempsey missed a chip shot with seconds left in the 4th quarter. I was standing in the driving rain, watching, thinking that the "0 for the 1970's" losing streak was over. I expected the fans would take the field and tear down the goal posts. When he missed it hurt like hell.