Does longevity make someone a HOFer?

MrLocke

Certain People on this board believe that because Drew Bledsoe has high career passing yardage numbers and touchdown passes he is a future Hall of Fame QB. I think that these numbers are simply a result of playing a long time and am curious if people think that longevity should put someone in the Hall of Fame?

Drew's highest season for passing yards came in 1994 when he threw for 4555 yards but had 27 interceptions comparred to only 25 touchdowns. I ask you does the td to int ratio put a damper on the passing yards for this season and possibly others?

For his career he has 244 td passes compared to 198 ints. I'm not sure how this ratio stacks up against HOFers, but if it is unfavorable does it make the amount of touchdown passes he has thrown less impressive?

Vinny Testaverde has thrown for 45252 yards in his career comparred to Drew's 43447. Vinny has 269 td passes comparred to Drew's 244. If Drew goes to the Hall of Fame shouldn't Vinny? If you argue Drew should go and Vinny Shouldn't why?

Drew seems like at best an average QB who has played for a long time. I do not want this to be a Drew versus JP conversation. I want it to be enitrely about Drew.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, longevity doesn't make a Hall of Famer. But, here's the argument for Bledsoe over Testaverde:

He led his team to the Superbowl (in 1996)

He made twice as many Pro Bowls (4-2)

He had more seasons in the top 10 in yards (7-4)

He had more seasons in the top 10 in TDs (7-3)

He has potentially 3-4 more years as a starter, and has a legitimate chance at a big year this year, taking his team to the Superbowl.

The book is not closed on Bledsoe yet.

Even though I liked the guy, I think that letting Warren Moon into the HOF, in his first year of eligibility, lowered whatever bar there seemed to be for making the HOF. Some made the same argument about Jim Kelly.

Moon put up great stats, but in the end, really achieved nothing, except for the "fame" that is inherent in the honor. So yes, it seems that longevity (right or wrong) contributes to one's hall of fame credentials.

I would rank Bledsoe ahead of Moon of Vinny.

Even though I liked the guy, I think that letting Warren Moon into the HOF, in his first year of eligibility, lowered whatever bar there seemed to be for making the HOF.  Some made the same argument about Jim Kelly. 

Moon put up great stats, but in the end, really achieved nothing, except for the "fame" that is inherent in the honor.  So yes, it seems that longevity (right or wrong) contributes to one's hall of fame credentials.

I would rank Bledsoe ahead of Moon of Vinny.

712409[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but Bledsoe ahead of Moon is ludicrous.

I think the whole argument about whether or not a player should be in the HoF depends on the player's overall success, be it championships, numbers, or intangibles. That's not very scientific, but I don't think a formula can be generated to determine a player's eligibility.

Some examples:

*Warren Moon should be in because of the numbers he put up. Every time the Oilers went onto the field, they had a chance to win with him because of the offense he generated. Same can be said for Dan Marino.

*Terry Bradshaw should be in because even though he didn't put up the stats that Moon did, he did lead his team to 4 Superbowl wins.

*Brett Favre should get in solely based on the fact that if Green Bay had someone else as a QB instead of him, they probably never would have had the success they did over the past 15 years. This is why he won those MVP awards.

I used QBs for my examples, but I think this can apply to any position. If you think about a specific player, my first inclination is whether or not the opposing team had to take that player into account when developing their game plan, be it regular season or playoffs. If they did - over the course of many years - then that player should be a HOFer.

Stats and championships help that, but I think that's the underlying theme I'd go with.

Bledsoe did about as much as Rob Johnson did in Tampa to earn his ring. It was Brady's team.

712435[/snapback]

sure but Bledsoe came off the bench against the Steelers and lead the team to the Super Bowl. that was a pretty impresive.

I'm sorry, but Bledsoe ahead of Moon is ludicrous.

712411[/snapback]

On second thought, I guess you are right, but I am still not sure Moon is/was a better QB. His gawdy stats were the product of the offensive system he was in. Not his fault. He didn't fare very well outside the run and shoot. Also, despite a lot of nice regular seasons, the Oilers, and Moon, were normally sub-par in January, against better competition.

I am not sure I would put Bledsoe in the HOF, but I also not sure that I would put Moon, or especially Vinny in the HOF either. My point was, Moons' impressive career stats were as much a result of longevity as anything. He had some terrific individual seasons, but so too did Bledsoe.

IMO, another year or two of playoff appearences (with decent numbers) and maybe a SB appearence, and Bledsoe should be in there too, if Moon was such a shoe-in!

Certain People on this board believe that because Drew Bledsoe has high career passing yardage numbers and touchdown passes he is a future Hall of Fame QB. I think that these numbers are simply a result of playing a long time and am curious if people think that longevity should put someone in the Hall of Fame?

Drew's highest season for passing yards came in 1994 when he threw for 4555 yards but had 27 interceptions comparred to only 25 touchdowns. I ask you does the td to int ratio put a damper on the passing yards for this season and possibly others?

For his career he has 244 td passes compared to 198 ints. I'm not sure how this ratio stacks up against HOFers, but if it is unfavorable does it make the amount of touchdown passes he has thrown less impressive?

Vinny Testaverde has thrown for 45252 yards in his career comparred to Drew's 43447. Vinny has 269 td passes comparred to Drew's 244. If Drew goes to the Hall of Fame shouldn't Vinny? If you argue Drew should go and Vinny Shouldn't why?

Drew seems like at best an average QB who has played for a long time. I do not want this to be a Drew versus JP conversation. I want it to be enitrely about Drew.

712354[/snapback]

I think they were both excellent QBs for a time. Neither had sustained sucess and neither are HoF caliber in my opinion. There are lots of QBs with impressive stats that are not in the HoF. To me Drew and Vinny are no better than Joe Ferguson, Jim Hart, or even a Daryl Lamonica --- they are one tier below HoF.

All I know is that there was a lot of talk that Thurman Thomas wasn't a first-balloter or whatever but would get in eventually. What I don't get is that the same wasn't at least said about Moon.

The case for Thomas in the HoF is much better, by far, than that of Moon's regardless if you are a Bills fan or not.