Waterspots on my new truck...

I just bought a 2003 ford ranger edge last week...after driving POS vehicles for 7 years it really feels good to be driving something that won't break down on me while on my way to work (which happened just days before I got my first loan)

anyway...it's black and I love it...however it has water spots like crazy and i'm wondering if any of you fellow Bills fans know how to get rid of them without damaging the paint. I've heard there is an acid to use but haven't yet found it...

anyone?

here's a pic...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f319/Landon503/mytruck.jpg

I just bought a 2003 ford ranger edge last week...after driving POS vehicles for 7 years it really feels good to be driving something that won't break down on me while on my way to work (which happened just days before I got my first loan)

anyway...it's black and I love it...however it has water spots like crazy and i'm wondering if any of you fellow Bills fans know how to get rid of them without damaging the paint. I've heard there is an acid to use but haven't yet found it...

anyone?

here's a pic...

710338[/snapback]

Nice pickup. Don't know anything about water spots. Haven't ever heard of it until now.

I have a black Denali and was told distilled vinigar is the best solution.

Here is one outline:

Water spots

Water Spots

The same water you use to bathe your car can also damage your car's paint. The spots and damage are caused by the minerals in the water. When water evaporates off of your car's paint, it leaves behind the trace elements it contains. Calcium and metals are the most damaging ingredients found in your tap water. Rainwater may contain damaging acids from air pollutants.

Getting rid of water spots is easy if you chase after them. The best solution is to use a quick detailing spray after you wash, or as soon as you discover the spots (i.e., when your neighbor's sprinkler gets you).

If the spots are allowed to dry and bake on, they will attach to and harden on your paint. When this happens, you need to use a mild acid to get them loose. Believe it or not, the best acid is also the least expensive and most available: a gallon jug of distilled white vinegar.

Expert car detailers have known this secret for years. If you take your car to a pro, they will tell you about the "magic acid bath" and charge you $60 or more for the pleasure of smelling like a pickle. Save the $60. Put on some gloves and get to it.

To give your car the magic acid bath, first wash your car with your normal car shampoo, rinse, and then use the distilled vinegar. Just wipe it on with a sponge, and rub it in. Do one section at a time. Let it sit 30 to 60 seconds, and then rinse. When you're done, wash the car again with shampoo, and then rinse. By the way, vinegar will remove your wax, so be prepared to re-wax your car after the vinegar treatment.

Sprinklers showered this car with hard water. The car then sat in the sun for several days, causing the hard-water deposits to harden. Vinegar will remove the spots from the aluminum bumper, plastic taillights and rubber trim, but the paint will need to be polished and buffed with a buffer.

If water spots are allowed to stay for more than a week or so, the minerals will etch the paint. In this case, using vinegar will remove the mineral spots, but the paint will have etched spots (dimples). It is necessary to use a polish or mild polishing compound to

best advice I can give is to stay away from water!

anyone?

here's a pic...

710338[/snapback]

When I worked in automotive, my lab cooked up a formulation for the dealerships with the snappy name, "Industrial Dust Remover". It was a mild solution of oxalic acid and a surfactant, and was made with the removal of deposited iron fines in mind.

For formulation reasons, and its high heat absorbtion in the field, black is generally at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to durability - although the near-universal use of basecoat/clearcoat technology has helped considerably.

Auto stylists don't care for it - it doesn't lend itself to highlighting a vehicle's lines...you almost never see a show car painted black.

Auto stylists don't care for it - it doesn't lend itself to highlighting a vehicle's lines...you almost never see a show car painted black.

710444[/snapback]

Come to think of it, your right.

Alot of show cars are red or another colour (not saying that alot aren't black) but they are usually something that will stand out more to catch peoples attention faster

Come to think of it, your right.

Alot of show cars are red or another colour (not saying that alot aren't black) but they are usually something that will stand out more to catch peoples attention faster

710548[/snapback]

It's partially that, but moreso it's that black cars more or less look like a dark blob - you lose some of the distinction of a crisp wheelwell, a unique fender line, etc.

Having said that, it's certainly a popular shade.

[Just be sure they are really water spots and not some film defect. Water spots you should be able to polish/ buff out. The ranger should have a clear topcoat over the colored basecoat. If the clearcoat is defective it can look like water spotting but will lead to premature failuer of the paint system in 1-2 years. One effect of acid rain is to really damage some clear coats. Just make sure you know what it is before your warranty runs out.

[Just be sure they are really water spots and not some film defect. Water spots you should be able to polish/ buff out. The ranger should have a clear topcoat over the colored basecoat. If the clearcoat is defective it can look like water spotting but will lead to premature failuer of the paint system in 1-2 years. One effect of acid rain is to really damage some clear coats. Just make sure you know what it is before your warranty runs out.

710577[/snapback]

Additionally, clearcoats can temporarily swell when water droplets act a magnifying lenses in the hot sun.

As a note, those Support The Troops yellow ribbon magnets can cause damage. The acrylic resins of today's clearcoats have a heck of a time with condensing humidity resistance. Left in place over time, water vapor gets beneath the magnet, causing swelling and white spots.

I agree with the sentiment, but it's best to relocate them from time to time.

Aslo, alkaline attack can ruin automotive finishes. It's a particular problem in ports, as ocean-going vessels clear their stacks, and also around coal - fired power plants.

The ash settles on the finish and eats them up big time - you can flick off topcoat with your fingernail. And you can't just sand scuff and repaint - you have to totally remove the topcoat.

A fair number of years ago, BMW sold a large number of cars dirt cheap, when their port storage yards got it. It happened to Nissan in Tennessee, a time ago.

To combat it, shipping wax was sprayed on overseas vehicles. Because of it's high solvent release when applied, and the mess of cleaning it off, the wax has been replaced with plastic sheeting on the horizontal surfaces.

Another water and soap question.I have a 96 explorer that has not had its exterior washed in over three years.Will soap hurt it now?

710620[/snapback]

Nope, you are good to go and wash her up. As far as the black pickup, I have a black Avalanche and it shows everything. Best advice is to wash it in the shade, and then for the final rinse do a very fine mist on the truck. Last black vehicle i'll ever own though. If I wash my red Z and my Avalanche at the same time, the truck looks like it needs washing again 6 hours later while the car's good for 5-6 days.

Nope, you are good to go and wash her up.  As far as the black pickup, I have a black Avalanche and it shows everything.  Best advice is to wash it in the shade, and then for the final rinse do a very fine mist on the truck.  Last black vehicle i'll ever own though.  If I wash my red Z and my Avalanche at the same time, the truck looks like it needs washing again 6 hours later while the car's good for 5-6 days.

710628[/snapback]

My black jeep shows all the dirt too, but when I wash off the full layer of mud from it, the paint doesn't look that bad, LOL

I just wrenched my neck doing a massive double take on your thread...I thought it read "watersports"....

Make that four. I was thinking of going to my Mopar forum & finding the avatar which has some little brat urinating on the Ford emblem. :P