Sabres-Canes Game 7 Ratings

Rico

according to ESPN the Magazine's June 19th issue with John Daly on the cover, page 105:

"(Bettman) wanted a new TV deal, and you got that, too, although Game 7 of a conference finals getting beat in the ratings by a spelling bee is no cause for celebration."

0:)

Well, here is the current configuration and attendance figures for the NHL:

HOCKEY AS A WAY OF LIFE (GUARANTEED SELLOUTS)

Ottawa

Montreal

Toronto

Calgary

Edmonton

Vancouver

Detroit

Minnesota

BIG CITY, DECENT TEAM (95% CAPACITY)

Philadelphia

N.Y. Rangers

Dallas

MIDDLE MARKET, GOOD ECONOMY, DECENT TEAM (85% CAPACITY)

San Jose

Colorado

MIDDLE MARKET, NON-HOCKEY AREA, GOOD ECONOMY, DECENT TEAM (80% CAPACITY)

Carolina

Tampa Bay

MIDDLE MARKET, NON-HOCKEY AREA, GOOD ECONOMY, GOOD MARKETING (80% CAPACITY)

Columbus

Nashville

MIDDLE MARKET, HOCKEY AREA, POOR ECONOMY (75% CAPACITY)

Buffalo

BIG CITY, BANDWAGON FANS (65% CAPACITY)

Boston

Atlanta

Washington

Chicago

Los Angeles

MIDDLE MARKET, NON-HOCKEY AREA (60% CAPACITY)

New Jersey

N.Y. Islanders

Pittsburgh

Florida

Phoenix

Anaheim

St. Louis

Canadian

Based on this, does the NHL deserve a huge American TV contract for network/major cable?

according to ESPN the Magazine's June 19th issue with John Daly on the cover, page 105:

"(Bettman) wanted a new TV deal, and you got that, too, although Game 7 of a conference finals getting beat in the ratings by a spelling bee is no cause for celebration."

0:)

708187[/snapback]

That is a backhanded slap by ESPN. The Bee was on ABC (their sister station) on national TV to 300 Million homes. Game 7 was on the bike racing network and broadcast in about 30 million.

That is a backhanded slap by ESPN. The Bee was on ABC (their sister station) on national TV to 300 Million homes. Game 7 was on the bike racing network and broadcast in about 30 million.

708249[/snapback]

20 million of whom don't even know it exists, let alone that they have it....

20 million of whom don't even know it exists, let alone that they have it....

708258[/snapback]

Hell, I didn't until hockey was on it. In which case, it's been a success for them of sorts -- a whole lot of people who never watched OLN now know it's around. Can't say it makes me want to tune in for any "BassMasters" or anything, though.

The Spelling Bee rocked, man. It was nail-biting right down to the last word.

Ever since they changed the rules and removed the phonetic redline and allowed the two-line pass, it has all but eliminated the neutral zone trap, which we all know opened the door for breaking rules like the commonly ignored "I before E, except after C...or when it sounds like A as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh.' "

Plus, they let the judge's panel use smaller dictionaries, and that alone has really made the bees more exciting.

You guys missed a real thriller.

The Spelling Bee rocked, man. It was nail-biting right down to the last word.

Ever since they changed the rules and removed the phonetic redline and allowed the two-line pass, it has all but eliminated the neutral zone trap, which we all know opened the door for breaking rules like the commonly ignored "I before E, except after C...or when it sounds like A as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh.' "

Plus, they let the judge's panel use smaller dictionaries, and that alone has really made the bees more exciting.

You guys missed a real thriller.

708267[/snapback]

did the winner rip off her shirt and start running through the audience?

708249[/snapback]

but why was it on the bike racing network? because no one in the country gives a crap about it.

2.7/5 ratings/share for game 5...beat the Lost rerun, head-to-head... :rolleyes:

709184[/snapback]

re. world cup -

ABC's broadcast of three matches Friday through Sunday delivered an average rating of 2.8

thanks for the rolleyes, too bad I block those stupid emoticon thingies...

And I like the sabres, I just got annoyed by ACor's anti-soccer rants...point being, just because the majority of the U.S. isn't obsessed with hockey, doesn't make it worthless. Same w/ soccer. I don't try to debate whether NASCAR would be better off if Kobe Bryant joined up. Get a grip folks.