Steelers QB Ben R. In Motorcycle Crash

Mark VI

I talked with my former roommate from college, who is a die-hard Steelers fan. The first words out of his mouth when he answered his phone were "I KNOW, Mike, I know."

I used the verb "winslowed" once, possibly twice during that phone call.

One difference: KW was being stupid in an unoccupied parking lot on a Sunday night. This happened in the middle of Downtown Pittsburgh, and I've always said that the person who designed the street layout in the Burgh should be shot.

Still, that's no excuse for riding without a helmet in the middle of a busy city on a Monday morning. God forbid Bill Cowher has to go to the ER to pick up what's left of his star QB.

I believe Big Ben will play again, but the Steelers will have to open their defense of a world championship with Tommy Maddox as their QB.

Mike

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Big Ben will play again, but the Steelers will have to open their defense of a world championship with Tommy Maddox as their QB.

707327[/snapback]

TD Tommy is no longer with the program, though he may be getting a phone call now.

It's Charlie Batch, Omar Jacobs, & Rod Rutherford.

When I was in 4th grade, my parents gave me a motorcycle and the words of wisdom "Helmet?  That's for sissies.  Now aim for that tree..."

707322[/snapback]

fast foward to age 13... I'm getting on my friends dirt bike for the 1st time, so I was naturally nervous. I gripped the handles tight while I was standing up and when I sat down, I mistakenly opened up the throttle and I took off like a bat out of hell. I did pretty well dodging the 1st few trees (the trail was in the woods) - when I finally decided to bail and let the bike smash into the tree.

He was pissed... :huh::lol:

There are morons out there who drive their cars recklessly or take their ATVs off of 5 foot dirt jumps. People do dumb things all the time. As a "responsible" bike rider who avoids heavy traffic and just likes to go for cruises on the weekends, trust me, a ton of folks do NOT look for bikes on the road.

707284[/snapback]

As an avid ATV'er, all "sport" quads are all suspension, almost like a trampoline on wheels. Dirt bikes too. You can take some pretty serious jumps no problem. But a "utility" quad, 1-2 feet and you'll feel that one when you land

fast foward to age 13... I'm getting on my friends dirt bike for the 1st time, so I was naturally nervous.  I gripped the handles tight while I was standing up and when I sat down, I mistakenly opened up the throttle and I took off like a bat out of hell.  I did pretty well dodging the 1st few trees (the trail was in the woods) - when I finally decided to bail and let the bike smash into the tree. 

He was pissed...  :huh:  :lol:

707334[/snapback]

I didn't know they make dirt bikes for short people. :lol:

You know there is no helmet law in PA, and Ben R was adamant he was not going to wear one.

707062[/snapback]

He's careful when he rides...maybe if he plays carefully he shouldn't wear a helmet at his job.

MOST people wear helmets to prevent UNEXPECTED injuries, not to protect them from their own actions...the people that do wear helmets for that reason don't get paid tons of money to play football...they sit in padded rooms. IDIOT.

Maybe there is some validity to the Wonderlic test after all.

another update:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06163/697655-100.stm

jerome bettis says he'll be fine for this season

707343[/snapback]

Well if Jerome says it...with his vast medical expertise...

"encouraging" news from a hospital means the patient isn't going to DIE. From a medical standpoint Kellen Winslow wasn't seriously injured in his motorcycle wreck, hospitals prioritize arms and legs much lower than heads and internal organs, if you tear an ACL in a car wreck you're "fine" because it won't kill you. If you whack your head off the ground and the news is "encouraging" that means they don't think they'll have to drill a hole in your skull to let the blood drain out before the excess pressure kills you. It doesn't mean that you don't have a hellacious concussion or a fractured skull.

i had a cousin die at 20 from the same thing as Rothlesberger did.

A friend's brother was in the ECMC trauma unit for months and never worked again from the age of 25 till he died in his mid 40's from a brain tumor. He had permanently curled toes, was incontinent a lot and was impotent. The doctors at ECMC said he was one of the few people they had seen walk out of the trauma unit.

About a month ago, a woman I know from my hobby was on the interstsate. She lost control of her bike and went under the rear wheels of a dump truck- killed instantly.

A friend gave me a ride around the block on his cycle about 25-30 years ago. That was it for me. There is no way I would ever get on one again.

another update:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06163/697655-100.stm

jerome bettis says he'll be fine for this season, and rooney says the reports from the hospital are "encouraging."

707343[/snapback]

Thanks Dr. Bettis. I didn't realize how easy it was to make a diagnosis several hours after the fact and 3000 miles away. :huh::lol:

"First, it's good to see he's not in bad shape, as a friend, and to make sure he's OK," said Bettis. "Another good thing is it is minor enough that it shouldn't affect him on the field this fall."

Government sympathizer.

707356[/snapback]

I think the helmet law should be based upon speed. if you're going less than 35 (e.g. on a city street) you should have to wear a helmet because the likelihood of a minor crash that you can survive is high, if you're on the freeway the hell with it because if you wipe out you're road kill, especially these guys on the racing bikes, they fall, they're dead, the only thing the helmet will do is allow your faily to identify the mass of shredded flesh you will have become.