Steelers QB Ben R. In Motorcycle Crash

Mark VI

The well-known fact that motorcycle helmets lessen the chance of serious injury is entirely in line with state seatbelt laws.

For example, if someone is injured in a car wreck as a result of another's negligence and was not wearing his seatbelt, that fact can not be used by the at-fault driver to avoid liability, but it CAN be used to argue that the injured guy's damages could have been mitigated.

Not wearing a motorcycle helmet = not wearing a seatbelt. It doesn't make you negligent, it just makes you stupid.

I hope Big Ben is okay and will be able to resume his career. I also hope he learned a valuable lesson.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ben had a headlight modulator this might not have happened. I use one, and it really makes a difference. A bit nerdy, but I can get over that. It's especially good at catching the eye of those about to turn left in front of you.

I never understood those who drive without a helmet. I feel like a huge "risk taker" when I ride with an open face helmet. I could never imagine going helmet-less.

I hope he recovers, From the press report, it said he "tried to stand" which might be a good sign that he could even try.

An offensive car wreck, ironically...

707430[/snapback]

had to be TD...the whole pittsburgh thing gave it away. he must have been pissed that they took big ben before we could, and then won a SB with him. revenge is a B word. :)

Helmet or no helmet, motorcylces are a bad idea. I lost a good friend 3 years ago, and I just see them as pointless to have

707152[/snapback]

they are not a bad idea they take up less space get way better gas mileage then any car and are fun to ride......i have worked in a harley dealership the past 15 years and we sell harleys,suzukis,hondas,yamahas and ktms and i am not being biased here,but the majority of the bike accidents i have seen were cars not paying attention to what they were doing and yapping on their cell phones while switching into wrong lanes.yes bikes are more dangerous and yes a helmet is a good idea and now adays a motorcyclist should take some extra safety rider ed classes. But dont say they are pointless to own there is nothing like a nice sunday ride through the mountains in upstate new york......oh and go bills in"06

I think the helmet law should be based upon speed.  if you're going less than 35 (e.g. on a city street) you should have to wear a helmet because the likelihood of a minor crash that you can survive is high, if you're on the freeway the hell with it because if you wipe out you're road kill, especially these guys on the racing bikes, they fall, they're dead, the only thing the helmet will do is allow your faily to identify the mass of shredded flesh you will have become.

707366[/snapback]

You are quite wrong, my best friend was on the freeway speeding excessively when a spare fell out from under a pickup in front of him. His leathers and full faced helmet saved his life. His brain was injured slightly, mentally he is slower than he was before the wreck but he is living a full productive life.

Heard the following on the radio:

Broken jaw

Lost most of his teeth

Shattered sinuses

Injured knees (extent unknown)

I'd be shocked if he's in training camp in a few weeks...

CW

No, the Patriots org. has class, unlike some here!

707441[/snapback]

Let me take a little time and raise the level of discouse by being the first person to say, after about 1 year, how happy we are that you are here. You are like shaft of light piercing through the clouds on an overcast day. You bring the sent of flowers when the room smells of soiled baby diaper.

If it were not for you, there would be no joy. And if it were not for the Patriots and their fans, the NFL, no the world, would be a place too dark to comprehend. Most of humanity would choose a cliff and run off together murmuring, "If we only had Class."

Heard the following on the radio:

Broken jaw

Lost most of his teeth

Shattered sinuses

Injured knees (extent unknown)

I'd be shocked if he's in training camp in a few weeks...

CW

707446[/snapback]

I'll be shocked if he's walking by Christmas.

If Ben had a headlight modulator this might not have happened.  I use one, and it really makes a difference.  A bit nerdy, but I can get over that.  It's especially good at catching the eye of those about to turn left in front of you.

I never understood those who drive without a helmet.  I feel like a huge "risk taker" when I ride with an open face helmet.  I could never imagine going helmet-less.

I hope he recovers,  From the press report, it said he "tried to stand" which might be a good sign that he could even try.

707425[/snapback]

I'm glad to see somebody reported the use of these devices. They really work. In my riding days they were called Q switches and are excellent tools to assist drivers to see MCs which are inherently hard to see due to their size. The best study of MC accidents was conducted in 1981 and is called the Hurt study. There is no pun in that name. Here is a link to a summary. Pay close attention to point 9 and those from 40 on which are relavent to this discussion.

Hurt study

I have not ridden since my first child was born but I will start again when the youngest turns 25. Chose your own paths, be responsible, put some faith in the Lord, and never come home from a business trip and suggest a new sex position to your wife. Go Bills.

they are not a bad idea they take up less space get way better gas mileage then any car and are fun to ride......i have worked in a harley dealership the past 15 years and we sell harleys,suzukis,hondas,yamahas and ktms and i am not being biased here,but the majority of the bike accidents i have seen were cars not paying attention to what they were doing and yapping on their cell phones while switching into wrong lanes.yes bikes are more dangerous and yes a helmet is a good idea and now adays a motorcyclist should take some extra safety rider ed classes. But dont say they are pointless to own there is nothing like a nice sunday ride through the mountains in upstate new york......oh and go bills in"06

707435[/snapback]

The guy said he saw them as pointless to ride, not that there were absolutely pointless. Not to mention it doesn't really matter whose fault the accident is, the bottom line is the motorcycle rider is more susceptible to injury when an accident does occur. What would normally be a fender bender in a car turns into a chance for serious injury on a motorcycle.

In any facet of life people have to make risk/reward decisions. I agree with the other poster, I don't see the reward being worth the risk as there are just too many bad drivers out there and I'm not taking that large of a risk and hoping everybody else on the streets/highways drives safely.

Obviously you do think it’s worth the risk and I doubt anybody here would begrudge you that choice.

Within the context of football, I think Roethlisberger's biggest worry was the injuries to his knees we kept hearing about. Now this from ESPN:

"ESPN.com's John Clayton has confirmed that Roethlisberger ..... has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement."

So it looks like Stiller fans can exhale.

As for the rest of the debate, if you want to ride in the country without a helmet go for it as it's a nice feeling. But I won't even ride a bike in the city, much less do it without a hat. With all the clowns on the road, it's onoly a matter of time before some bonehead puts you on the pavement. Ben should have known better.

The guy said he saw them as pointless to ride, not that there were absolutely pointless.  Not to mention it doesn't really matter whose fault the accident is, the bottom line is the motorcycle rider is more susceptible to injury when an accident does occur.  What would normally be a fender bender in a car turns into a chance for serious injury on a motorcycle. 

In any facet of life people have to make risk/reward decisions.  I agree with the other poster, I don't see the reward being worth the risk as there are just too many bad drivers out there and I'm not taking that large of a risk and hoping everybody else on the streets/highways drives safely. 

Obviously you do think it’s worth the risk and I doubt anybody here would begrudge you that choice.

707488[/snapback]

You are no more likely to be injured in a motorcycle accident as you are in a car accident. This is of course assuming that you are driving your car while strapped to the front bumper. :)