Lenny P Tip Sheet

Rico

As a safety in a Cover 2 (or the Tampa 2) it will be demanded that he be more of  centerfielder.  As an older dude he has seen a lot of plays and this style will easily extend his career by a year if not two.

706083[/snapback]

Since when does a safety playing Cover 2 not have to be able to tackle? :lol:

We've already had this conservation, save the stats for baseball, cause barring an outstanding camp & pre-season for him/disasterous camp or injuries to other DBs, he will be gone. :lol:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what Troy Vincent was doing was complaining about having to work too much.  It sounds more, to me, like he is saying, in order to be focused on the football season, you need time away from it, for your body and mind to heal...it always makes me laugh when people compare their jobs to athletes.  They are not the same job. People just need to relax...so do football players...when you go home from your job, you go home to your family.  Many of these guys do not live in Buffalo (or wahtever city they play in), should they be denied time with their family (fiends, whatever), even during the off-season, because we don't like the fact that they are not devoting their lives 24/7 to making us happy every Sunday for 16-21 weeks?

I would prefer to see guys like Willis, Vincent and Vilarreall at the OTA's to, but it doesn't, to me, mean that they are valueless as players, if they are not there.  Get a grip.

706061[/snapback]

Two points. If you got a job offer for 300% more than you are paid, would you not move? I do not but that argument.

Next, college has mandatory spring trianing , and i do not seem to hear much bout that being too strenous.And they do full contact, and if your not there your ass is cut, plain and simple!!!

wow, talk about blowing it up into "Troy Vincent bitches about working too much"

He's doing his job, not bitching about being overworked. Way to twist the guys words.

you guys are unreal. He's the Pres of the Players Union, he represents the union! THE UNION. If any one of you were in the NFL you'd love to have a mouthpiece like TV on your side. I read all he time "if I were a player, I'd be thereat all the OTA's"....

really??? lets see you have that attitude after you've played a few years. Especially when your union representatives fought for you and therefore succeeded in madating that the OTA's be "voluntary".

Until the union loses this battle (which it never will) the players have the right to skip them. So blast away, that's fine, quite frankly. But you can't say that you'd be at every OTA if you were a football player. You just don't know that you would.

And for the one's that b*tch that they work all year long, well that's your own damn fault  :lol: . every player in the league is there because they chose to make that their profession. They succeeded and now their enjoying the benefits.

I work my a$$ off too, but I choose to, no one forces me to. I would like to think if I were fortunate enough to have made a living as a NFL player, I'd be there as well for the OTA's, but I'll be damned if anyone tells me I am SUPPOSED to be there.

I see some even say they "hate Troy Vincent".....get real, you don't even know the guy.

you guys need to lighten up.

706081[/snapback]

Wow that was a great post...I couldn't have said it better myself.

Two points. If you got a job offer for 300% more than you are paid, would you not move? I do not but that argument.

Next, college has mandatory spring trianing , and i do not seem to hear much bout that being too strenous.And they do full contact, and if your not there your ass is cut, plain and simple!!!

706111[/snapback]

Two points. Just because I am getting paid 300% more than my current salary, uless one of the stipulations of me getting the job is that I have to live in the city of the team I am playing for, year round, why should I be obligated to do so? For Bills fans' satisfaction?

Don't forget, Willis McGahee was drafted by the Bills. He doesn't have a choice, if he wants to play football in the NFL. He can't play for any other team, until his contract has expired (or the team doesn't want him anymore). Do you suppose that Troy Vincent, or Takeo Spikes, or any other FA signee, would want to sign with the Bills (or any other NFL team), if one of the contract requirements was that you must reside in the city of your team year around, if no other team was making the same demands of its' free agent signees? They don't, and neither do the Bills.

Next, the NFL HAS manadatory training camps and mini-camps, just like your college heroes. What you people are getting so worked up over, are the "voluntary" camps (as in the player is not required to participate, unless he desires to)

I do work with a major college athletics program, I can assure you, their workouts, and traning camps are not at the level of the NFL. There is a reason for that. Those kids, theoretically, are not paid. Their tuition is paid. They need to (or are allowed to) meet with their teams briefly in the offseason, to keep football on their mind, but scholastics are, theoretically, their first priority.

NFL players are older. Most are not going to school, but have families that are their priorities. The NFLPA (not unlike the NCAA?), wisely negotiated to have the amount of off-season time the players are required to work with their teams, limited. So, school or family, their seems to be the recognition that both college, and pro football players have other priorities than football. How would you feel if you were offered a great job, based on your unique skills, at a very nice salary, but were told you couldn't do anything outside of your job, year round?

Your college comparison is silly. It really isn't the same at all. College football players, as individuals, face nowhere near the scrutinity, for the most part, as professional football players. While it is true, if college players don't show up for mandatory camps, they would likely be off the team, you forget that NCAA rules prohibit college teams from meeting very much, during the season, or during the offseason. They place limits on how much time they can spend, which makes sense.

Sure NFL players get paid a ton. The reason is, they are the ones who can do the job, not you or I, or any other indignant person, offended that they don't take their job as seriously as we take their job. The downside of it, for them: all that great money they make, will only be there for a very short period of their life. If they are injured, or a team decides they don't need them anymore, they are gone.

Beyond the quality of life and family issues, the less they practice, or play, the less likely they are to get injured. Think of how many players careers never get off the ground, because they are injured in training camp. Let's hope guys like Kevin Everett, with a season ending injury within moment of starting his first NFL mini-camp, bounce back. A lot never do.

I don't care how many voluntary mini-camps Willis McGahee, Troy Vincent, or Chris V. choose not to attend, I would still rather pay $75 for a ticket to watch them play, than plenzmd1, chknwing334, or any other TBD member. We all love football, we all love the Bills, but man, some of you really take this too far...

And that 95% would play in front of 10 people comprised of friends & family (maybe).  And how many of those 95% would stand up after being hit by a 295 lb cinder block?

706065[/snapback]

Gee thanks for explaining that people don't want to watch the average guy play football. Nowhere in my post did I say I could play at a professional level. If you are lucky enough to have the physical skills to make more in a year than your fans do in 15 years, I would probably appreciate it and avoid sounding like I am somehow overworked.

If you are lucky enough to have the physical skills to make more in a year than your fans do in 15 years

706137[/snapback]

That about says it all! These guys are the lottery winners, the American Idol winner, etc etc. How can we keep comparing ourselves, or our jobs, to theirs? How can we know what they should, or shouldn't do? We don't, and we can't, so why get so po'd about it? :lol:

I've gotta say that all y'all kvetching at Vincent and others for needing a full offseason away from football have no idea what its like to grind out season after season. Your body and mind need time to heal from the strain on both over the course of a season. If you don't stand down and let your bones heal, you'll end up in the morgue, the hospital, jail or the psych ward.

I've gotta say that all y'all kvetching at Vincent and others for needing a full offseason away from football have no idea what its like to grind out season after season. Your body and mind need time to heal from the strain on both over the course of a season. If you don't stand down and let your bones heal, you'll end up in the morgue, the hospital, jail or the psych ward.

706139[/snapback]

Not to mention, on a pretty cruddy football team! :lol:

God forbid they have to actually WORK for a week here and there during their precious offseason. I can't stand listening to professional athletes whine about stuff.....I like Troy, but he's apparently a bit out of touch, too. Anyone who is not "totally committed to the season" deserves to get his ass cut, IMO.

706026[/snapback]

Vincent is always about the players and will always defend them but yeah that was a pretty lame statement

That about says it all!  These guys are the lottery winners, the American Idol winner, etc etc.  How can we keep comparing ourselves, or our jobs, to theirs?  How can we know what they should, or shouldn't do?  We don't, and we can't, so why get so po'd about it? :lol:

706138[/snapback]

Because we are paying their salary to do something we dream of doing. If they can't show appreciation for their opportunity, then it's hard to get excited about supporting them with our consumer dollars.

Because we are paying their salary to do something we dream of doing.  If they can't show appreciation for their opportunity,  then it's hard to get excited about supporting them with our consumer dollars.

706154[/snapback]

and because they miss VOLUNTARY OTA's they are showing no appreciation? If they miss MANDATORY practices without good reason, then I might say the same thing.

and you'll continue watching them, paying to see them, being an NFL football fan...

I hardly see how some players missing OTA's is going to keep you from being excited enough to continue being a fan. You may not like Willis and Troy's actions, but you'll still support them with your dollars like it or not.

I forgot about Rashad....I agree, I wouldn't mind seeing him take over for Troy either. That guy can lay some hits.

706048[/snapback]

As much as I don't like Troy Vincent and his lockeroom lawyer act, Rashad Baker may very well be worse. He cost us at least 2 games last year by whiffing on tackes in the 4th quarter of games.

Because we are paying their salary to do something we dream of doing.  If they can't show appreciation for their opportunity,  then it's hard to get excited about supporting them with our consumer dollars.

706154[/snapback]

So you would be happier paying their salary when they tank in November, hitting the proverbial "wall", if all the guys were standing around in their shorts in June?

Nothing like killing a 6-2 start, like a 2-6 finish...

I am not sure what Troy Vincent was doing was complaining about having to work too much.  It sounds more, to me, like he is saying, in order to be focused on the football season, you need time away from it, for your body and mind to heal...it always makes me laugh when people compare their jobs to athletes.

Bingo. These guys need to reboot physically and mentally.

Does anyone really believe thier jobs are as intense and demanding as football players or for that matter hockey players?

The thing that some seem to be overlooking is that pretty much for 6 months each year, NFL players are consumed by their job 7 days a week. On week ends when we're relaxing, they're working. And during the week when we're working, they're still working. So if you took a 40 hour week as a measure, then I'd being willing to bet they easily put in enough time during the season to earn plenty of comp time and have several months off.

That's why these camps are voluntary. They do need time off, time away, time to recharge. Some need the work and show up, others don't.

In my job, I work balls to the wall during my season and you better believe I'd fight long and hard if my off season evaporated because someone thought I should work 80+ hours/week during the season and still put in 40hrs a week during the off season.

It's called burn out and you can get it whether you're paid $10/hour or $10 million/year.