*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

What a fuggin cheap shot that was by DeRossi!!  Glad that fugger got booted....

710009[/snapback]

What a fuggin joke of a makeup call right there on masteroni... that should be a yellow card at most, but to toss him for that was ridiculous.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fuggin joke of a makeup call right there on masteroni... that should be a yellow card at most, but to toss him for that was ridiculous.

710011[/snapback]

I know, and it's just our luck that the ONE GUY with the sack to take a damn shot from outside the box is the guy who gets the boot.....I still have hope for Dempsey putting one in the net, but I loved that shot from Pablo.

Let them freakin play. Way too many calls and the red on mastroeni was a load of sh--.

710012[/snapback]

No kidding....friggin refs are stopping things every twenty seconds....it's the WORLD CUP....

When Meazza said the Italians were known for diving, he wasn't kidding!!

What's this, like the fourth time with the stretcher??

No kidding....friggin refs are stopping things every twenty seconds....it's the WORLD CUP....

710014[/snapback]

Now i am beginning to understand why there are soccer riots after watching this horrendous display of officiating.

Sure these italians arent paying off these refs as well?

Now i am beginning to understand why there are soccer riots after watching this horrendous display of officiating.

Sure these italians arent paying off these refs as well?

710017[/snapback]

The ref screwed up that game. But Italy played like schitt. Good game by the Americans.

The ref screwed up that game.  But Italy played like schitt.  Good game by the Americans.

710022[/snapback]

Pretty much. Italy has no excuse for not winning playing almost the whole second half a man up. I see them with at least a tie against the Czhecs and advancing.

The only calls the douchbag ref got right all day was calling back Americas second goal and the first red card on Italy. He should never work again.

Pretty much. Italy has no excuse for not winning playing almost the whole second half a man up. I see them with at least a tie against the Czhecs and advancing.

The only calls the douchbag ref got right all day was calling back Americas second goal and the first red card on Italy. He should never work again.

710023[/snapback]

The red card against USA could have went both ways. Two legged tackle by the back...

The red card against USA could have went both ways.  Two legged tackle by the back...

710026[/snapback]

Under FIFA rules the ref made a solid decision, although it could have gone either way as you have said. Of courseit is any fan's right to bad mouth FIFA (in fact I would encourage it).

I still reckon the Italian defence looks shakey......

Italy played like crap, but they proved that you can basically lose the battle of possession time and have your shots on goal limited and still win, as long as the other team can't finish worth a damn. Why is Landon Donovan even playing?? Can anyone really say that Freddy Adu wouldn't have done better than all but one or two of these guys? I get so frustrated watching this pinball passing crap every time they get in around the top of the box. Dempsey and Pablo both took shots, and Beasley had a nice ball, but that was it. Meanwhile there's Donovan sitting there taking part in these dinky passes that eventually get intercepted. That being said, he did play better than last game, but that's not saying much.

The game was just as entertaining as it was frustrating, though....I just wish we'd have turned our edge in possession time into a couple more GOALS.

Italy played like crap, but they proved that you can basically lose the battle of possession time and have your shots on goal limited and still win, as long as the other team can't finish worth a damn. Why is Landon Donovan even playing?? Can anyone really say that Freddy Adu wouldn't have done better than all but one or two of these guys? I get so frustrated watching this pinball passing crap every time they get in around the top of the box. Dempsey and Pablo both took shots, and Beasley had a nice ball, but that was it. Meanwhile there's Donovan sitting there taking part in these dinky passes that eventually get intercepted. That being said, he did play better than last game, but that's not saying much.

The game was just as entertaining as it was frustrating, though....I just wish we'd have turned our edge in possession time into a couple more GOALS.

710035[/snapback]

The game was frustrating as hell. I do not know why De Rossi pulled that. It is really out of character. I heard ESPN radio complaining about the diving by the Italians. I don't know if they were watching the same game but I think they missed Toni getting pinned everytime he even looked at the ball.

The game was frustrating as hell.  I do not know why De Rossi pulled that.  It is really out of character.  I heard ESPN radio complaining about the diving by the Italians.  I don't know if they were watching the same game but I think they missed Toni getting pinned everytime he even looked at the ball.

710051[/snapback]

That Toni guy is a strong player....I got the impression he's not anywhere near as much of a diver as some of the others....but come on, that stretcher was out there like five or six times, and several of the players went down and started whining the minute they felt a US hand on them, lol

The US did play a very physical game, so maybe the Italians were trying to use that to their advantage, I dunno.....but between the stretchers and the two or three guys who were grabbing their asses while rolling around on the ground, enough was enough! :P

That Toni guy is a strong player....I got the impression he's not anywhere near as much of a diver as some of the others....but come on, that stretcher was out there like five or six times, and several of the players went down and started whining the minute they felt a US hand on them, lol

The US did play a very physical game, so maybe the Italians were trying to use that to their advantage, I dunno.....but between the stretchers and the two or three guys who were grabbing their asses while rolling around on the ground, enough was enough!  :P

710052[/snapback]

Well it depends. I don't get the stretcher thing. It is a disadvantage to have your player on the sidelines getting medical treatment. Why would they fake it. To draw a foul I understand, but to put the other team on a man advantage??

Plus, for example, Cannavaro (the captain) is one of the most solid soccer players there is, most of the time they play in pain, get sprayed to freeze the injury and put him back on because you cant' sub him.

710035[/snapback]

Yeah, we probably could have won like 5-1 if they would have taken advantage of their possession time. Frustrating to watch but I still enjoyed it. :P Sorry Meazza, but those Italian players ARE wimps! :P

Yeah, we probably could have won like 5-1 if they would have taken advantage of their possession time.  Frustrating to watch but I still enjoyed it.   :P  Sorry Meazza, but those Italian players ARE wimps!   :)

710054[/snapback]

Suffice to say, we didn't allow an actual goal :P:P

Nesta/Cannavaro/Buffon are extremely solid.

I'm still pissed at the result though. They better come out on all cylinders vs them Czechs.

Suffice to say, we didn't allow an actual goal  :P  :P

Nesta/Cannavaro/Buffon are extremely solid.

I'm still pissed at the result though.  They better come out on all cylinders vs them Czechs.

710055[/snapback]

Can you explain why the Beasley goal didn't count? I know it was McBride who was the issue, but was it because he was inside the 6-yard box? I don't understand why his position was problematic.

I agree about Nesta....he made some very solid plays on defense. On the US side, our big 6'4" defender (I keep forgetting his name....they call him the "gooch") had a much better game this time around. He was called a bunch of times, but he was pushing Italians around all game.

710035[/snapback]

I thought Donovan was pretty solid this game. I didn't have a lot of problems with his play. Beasley is the guy I'd be killing. Why bring him in. The commentary on him today was probably the most accurate I have ever heard on tv. He is in the game due to speed. His job is to run at defenders and create. He came in at a point where the Italian defense was worn out, yet he continually passed back, AGAIN. And with a sub left, why not put in Johnson with the Italia defense obviously flagging? I just don't get what Arena was doing in this game. It was there for the taking. I can't fault him too much for taking out Dempsey down to 9, and trying beasley again, but once he saw the results I can't believe he didn't change things up or put in Johnson. I'm really disappointed in Arena more than anybody else. Except maybe Beasley, I suppose.

Can you explain why the Beasley goal didn't count? I know it was McBride who was the issue, but was it because he was inside the 6-yard box? I don't understand why his position was problematic.

There were 2 issues with McBride's position: 1. He was offside, and close enough to the flight of the ball that he could have been considered to be "in play" and 2. he was screening the goalie and offside, which is also considered to be offside, even if the play isn't intended for him.

I thought Donovan was pretty solid this game.  I didn't have a lot of problems with his play.  Beasley is the guy I'd be killing.  Why bring him in.  The commentary on him today was probably the most accurate I have ever heard on tv.  He is in the game due to speed.  His job is to run at defenders and create.  He came in at a point where the Italian defense was worn out, yet he continually passed back, AGAIN.  And with a sub left, why not put in Johnson with the Italia defense obviously flagging?  I just don't get what Arena was doing in this game.  It was there for the taking.  I can't fault him too much for taking out Dempsey down to 9, and trying beasley again, but once he saw the results I can't believe he didn't change things up or put in Johnson.  I'm really disappointed in Arena more than anybody else.  Except maybe Beasley, I suppose.

710100[/snapback]

agreed! Why the !@#$ didnt they play Johnson? Seems like a !@#$ing nobrainer to me!

I thought Donovan was pretty solid this game.  I didn't have a lot of problems with his play.  Beasley is the guy I'd be killing.  Why bring him in.  The commentary on him today was probably the most accurate I have ever heard on tv.  He is in the game due to speed.  His job is to run at defenders and create.  He came in at a point where the Italian defense was worn out, yet he continually passed back, AGAIN.  And with a sub left, why not put in Johnson with the Italia defense obviously flagging?  I just don't get what Arena was doing in this game.  It was there for the taking.  I can't fault him too much for taking out Dempsey down to 9, and trying beasley again, but once he saw the results I can't believe he didn't change things up or put in Johnson.  I'm really disappointed in Arena more than anybody else.  Except maybe Beasley, I suppose.

710100[/snapback]

Landon just looks like a boy among men out there. If he's had a single shot on goal, I must have missed it. He's quick and has some decent ball skills, but I don't see him creating much of anything. Every time I see him in near the goal, he's got his back to the defenders and he's looking for an outlet dink pass. I just was under the impression that he had a little more game on offense than he's been exhibiting thus far. That's partly why I was so pissed when Pablo got booted.....we need some guys to mix it up and take the shot every so often. I also think Landon is completely worthless when he's in front of the goal for a cross or corner....he's so damn small that it's like he's not even there. These other teams have these tall athletic guys just waiting for a ball to put on goal....whenever we have opportunities like that nothing ever comes of it.

I'm starting to agree about Arena, too....I expected more out of these first two games, and I do think a lot of the blame rests upon his shoulders. As a side note, I gave him the benefit of the doubt when I saw that Freddy wasn't on the roster....but now I think it was just plain stupid to leave him off. He may not be the next Pele, but the kid can make things happen.

Oh well....today was an improvement, particularly on defense....I just hope we can spank Ghana and then get a little luck.

There were 2 issues with McBride's position: 1. He was offside, and close enough to the flight of the ball that he could have been considered to be "in play" and 2. he was screening the goalie and offside, which is also considered to be offside, even if the play isn't intended for him.

710101[/snapback]

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. What if he wasn't offsides, though? What exactly is considered and not considered screening the goalie? Seems like I often see players pretty close to the goalie like on a corner or something.

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. What if he wasn't offsides, though? What exactly is considered and not considered screening the goalie? Seems like I often see players pretty close to the goalie like on a corner or something.

710123[/snapback]

It's at the ref's discretion. If the player is standing next to the goalie, and the other guy shoots, and there is no interaction at all, it's considered a passive offside and a goal will be awarded.

Landon just looks like a boy among men out there. If he's had a single shot on goal, I must have missed it. He's quick and has some decent ball skills, but I don't see him creating much of anything. Every time I see him in near the goal, he's got his back to the defenders and he's looking for an outlet dink pass. I just was under the impression that he had a little more game on offense than he's been exhibiting thus far. That's partly why I was so pissed when Pablo got booted.....we need some guys to mix it up and take the shot every so often. I also think Landon is completely worthless when he's in front of the goal for a cross or corner....he's so damn small that it's like he's not even there. These other teams have these tall athletic guys just waiting for a ball to put on goal....whenever we have opportunities like that nothing ever comes of it.

I'm starting to agree about Arena, too....I expected more out of these first two games, and I do think a lot of the blame rests upon his shoulders. As a side note, I gave him the benefit of the doubt when I saw that Freddy wasn't on the roster....but now I think it was just plain stupid to leave him off. He may not be the next Pele, but the kid can make things happen.

Oh well....today was an improvement, particularly on defense....I just hope we can spank Ghana and then get a little luck.

710120[/snapback]

I get what you're saying about Donovan, I just think that it is his job to create, including his own shot if it comes off his play, and definitely not to be an object on crosses or set pieces. He created a couple of real nice chances around the 65-80 minute range...I don't fault his play at all. Well, I don't fault it against Italy. Against the Czech Republic he was not good. As far as Arena....he's done really well in Concacaf. I'm beginning to wonder if USA Soccer needs to bring in a big time European coach to get over this hump. It's a mental thing vs. the Europeans at this time. When you're 11 on 10, and have to have a win, why not bring in some more offense, given what Arena had on the field? It has to be fear.

I get what you're saying about Donovan, I just think that it is his job to create, including his own shot if it comes off his play, and definitely not to be an object on crosses or set pieces.  He created a couple of real nice chances around the 65-80 minute range...I don't fault his play at  all.  Well, I don't fault it against Italy.  Against the Czech Republic he was not good.  As far as Arena....he's done really well in Concacaf.  I'm beginning to wonder if USA Soccer needs to bring in a big time European coach to get over this hump.  It's a mental thing vs. the Europeans at this time.  When you're 11 on 10, and have to have a win, why not bring in some more offense, given what Arena had on the field?  It has to be fear.

710135[/snapback]

I'll feel entirely better about LD if he makes a significant difference in the next game. You just hear so much about some of these guys and their ability to score in international matches, and then they are absent once the real bullets start flying. I also keep hearing about O'brien and how he's going to bust out....I sure hope that happens sooner rather than later. It would just be nice if we had ONE guy who could really put some fear into the opponents when he has the ball. I loved seeing Dempsey showboat a little out there today, and he had a few really nice plays....but I just went over the highlights of today's game again on my DVR and there was just way too much standing around when guys were trying to make something happen from the outside in. It really felt like we were beating Italy up when they had the ball, and that was awesome....we just need to be careful not to get the cards. But it just feels like we're helpless on offense. Somebody has got to bust out. I would go nuts just to see one great run by EJ, or LD, or O'brien....and then have them actually FINISH. One defining moment each game that makes a difference. Remember that wicked goal that Frings from Germany had in the WC opener? I want to see us doing THAT every so often...like Pablo tried today. We've got to put the damn ball in the goal.

Man has tried to come up with a fully comprehensive explaination on how the offside rule works since the dawn of time.

Sometimes it is obvious but at others.........

710136[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm sort of noticing that with these games. This is really the first WC where I've been able to see the majority of the matches, so it's both interesting and frustrating to be able to observe more of the intricacies. Like with American football, though, I'm usually in favor of keeping the refs out of things to the greatest possible degree, w/out significantly compromsing the sense of fair play. I felt like today they really failed at that.

I hear you, I just don't think its LD's primary responsibility to score. You are right about needing a finisher...McBride has looked tired early and hasn't been dangerous. I just don't understand why Arena hasn't put Eddie Johnson in, as a replacement for McBride or one of the midfielders. He is a finisher, he is fast...I just don't get it...

I hear you, I just don't think its LD's primary responsibility to score.  You are right about needing a finisher...McBride has looked tired early and hasn't been dangerous.  I just don't understand why Arena hasn't put Eddie Johnson in, as a replacement for McBride or one of the midfielders.  He is a finisher, he is fast...I just don't get it...

710140[/snapback]

Well maybe I'm being too hard on Donovan, then.....I was under the impression that he was more of a scoring threat. I agree about EJ, though....didn't he have like 7 goals in his first 7 international matches?

All I know is we better be ready for these Ghana players....I think they're missing one or two of their players d/t red cards, but they look like a capable team. I was loving watching them in their first game against Italy, cause they were just off the hook with their shooting. We're going to need to tie them up in the midfield and keep them from having a lot of opportunities, cause they'll hit one sooner or later.

I can't believe they gave that one Ghana guy a yellow card just because he took his penalty kick before the whistle....that's a bad rule, IMO.

I can't believe they gave that one Ghana guy a yellow card just because he took his penalty kick before the whistle....that's a bad rule, IMO.

710142[/snapback]

Awful rule. Also used if players take free kicks before the ref is ready.

Free kicks and penalties are given to penalise foul play, if the team with the kick takes it quickly in order to try and punish their opponents for said foul play then whatever then happens should stand, the referee should let play continue from there. The onus should be on the penalised team to get their house in order, since they have created their own problem.

He Guys!

You should all be proud of your team! Even if they don't pass the first round this is by far the best USA team i have seen play. In any other group team USA 'd pass that round easily. The 94, 98 and 02 teams were good classic northern european style soccer teams, this one has style, substance and heart, the whole package ! The progress made by american soccer is really impressive. You're not far from the best and in 4 or 8 years you could shake the world!!! And well it's not over yet!! Good luck for the Ghana game!

and don't watch France tonight, this is too ugly to watch! I hope we lose and let the real teams play for the Cup!

and don't watch France tonight, this is too ugly to watch! I hope we lose and let the real teams play for the Cup!

710152[/snapback]

The French team has gotten really old quickly. And it shows.

Meanwhile the England team still can not work out how to work together.......

Rule 11 in the FIFA rule book...Offside

A player in an offside position is only penalized if, at the monent the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the the referee, involved in active play by :

interfering with play

or

interfering with an opponent

or

gaining an advantage by being in that position.

McBride was in violation of the second part....Had he been two or three steps to his left, it should have been OK....But with the knothead from Uragaury, who knows what would have been called...

all the whining and diving aside, I think alot of blame on our performance thus far goes to the Coach. Arenas did not have us ready to play against Czech Republic, and that game yesterday cemented it. How can you not use your last sub in a game when every player on the field is dog-ass tired? We had guys standing in place and not moving. Use the sub with 10 mins left and at least try. Dont just quit. That is what got Wade ran out town....

Also his fault was not telling the team to NOT foul. At half-time, you make it quite clear to not challenge the ball, and not to foul. Especially when we were up a man. Instead we come out to start the second half and take 2 stupid red cards on weak challenges in the mid field.

I think it is time the USA goes after a world class coach. Arenas did his job and got us to respectability in the last 12 years, but now we need to get to the top. I dont think he can get us there.

The only problem I had was it looked like at the end of the game, the US was content to let the game end in a draw. No one was challenging until the Italians got into the US zone. I realize they must have been exhausted, but that was ridiculous...