*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez I thought I was talking about soccer.  So if I don't like soccer I'm excluded from talking about it?  But that's ok get back to it, I'm out of here.  Even this thread talking about it is putting me to sleep.

708790[/snapback]

This is supposed to be a thread talking about the WC games. Not a thread complaining how much everyone hates soccer.

Geez I thought I was talking about soccer.  So if I don't like soccer I'm excluded from talking about it?  But that's ok get back to it, I'm out of here.  Even this thread talking about it is putting me to sleep.

708790[/snapback]

I was actually hoping to have a thread where those of us who are watching the games could talk about them w/out having to listen to some of you continue running your mouths about how much you hate soccer. A little good ribbing here and there like AD tends to do is perfectly fine. He's made some comments about soccer that I actually found pretty funny, and you can almost always count on him for an infusion of wit (though I have to admit he's apparently run dry on the subject). But when some of you feel the urge to keep posting over and over about how you think soccer sucks, it gets really old. I know for a fact that there are people on this board who are watching the matches and would really enjoy talking about them, but they don't feel like getting into the pissing matches that take place.

Believe me, we know that most people on here aren't interested in soccer or the World Cup.

Because stupid American kickballers wouldn't be able to figure out such a complicated game and just shoot more?    :devil:

Imagine, such a beautiful game being played by guys who've been in it since the age of five, yet one team manages just ONE shot in 90 minutes.  Edge of your seat stuff, that.

708851[/snapback]

Are Sabres games any less exciting when the defensemen block a substantial number of the shots and they don't see the goalie? I don't think so. It's just a different kind of excitement, IMO. I'll agree that it's not as edge-of-your-seat thrilling as hockey, but that's also because I have a horse in that race. They're gone now, and as much as I like the game, I can't stand watching a team I've grown to hate win. And every time I tune in, they win. Go Oilers, but I'm maintaining the Stanley Cup blackout at my place.

In the meantime, it's much more fun watching the World Cup without a big rooting interest. I can grow to appreciate the game and the opportunity that some of these teams have, from nations where this sport is all or the best they've got. We have no such concept of nation in our sports -- it's all regional. And sociologically, that makes it pretty interesting.

OTOH, I can't stand 1) watching guys dog it/walk when the ball is nearby -- which made it cool when Rooney came in today and England just all of a sudden got FAST, and 2) the flopping/theatrics -- reeling and writhing in pain, breaking out the stretcher, and then coming back in for a substitution 2 minutes later.

Are Sabres games any less exciting when the defensemen block a substantial number of the shots and they don't see the goalie?  I don't think so.  It's just a different kind of excitement, IMO.  I'll agree that it's not as edge-of-your-seat thrilling as hockey, but that's also because I have a horse in that race. 

709040[/snapback]

That's not why and you know it. :devil:

I was actually hoping to have a thread where those of us who are watching the games could talk about them w/out having to listen to some of you continue running your mouths about how much you hate soccer. A little good ribbing here and there like AD tends to do is perfectly fine. He's made some comments about soccer that I actually found pretty funny, and you can almost always count on him for an infusion of wit (though I have to admit he's apparently run dry on the subject). But when some of you feel the urge to keep posting over and over about how you think soccer sucks, it gets really old. I know for a fact that there are people on this board who are watching the matches and would really enjoy talking about them, but they don't feel like getting into the pissing matches that take place.

Believe me, we know that most people on here aren't interested in soccer or the World Cup.

709030[/snapback]

Sorry I got your panties in a bunch, but if you want a thread that is solely for soccer fans go find a WC message board. If you want to jump into any thread that I've started and tell me how much the subject matter sucks, go ahead, I don't care, it's a public board.

Sorry I got your panties in a bunch, but if you want a thread that is solely for soccer fans go find a WC message board.  If you want to jump into any thread that I've started and tell me how much the subject matter sucks, go ahead, I don't care, it's a public board.

709093[/snapback]

It's obvious you don't care....no need to spell it out. As for a WC message board, that's of little interest to me. Part of what I love about TBD is the fact that many of us share common interests other than the Bills. I happen to find a lot of the people here really interesting to talk to, so naturally it would be more enjoyable to talk soccer with guys like Pete, Meazza, Tater, Hardy, DC Tom, the Brits, etc than to talk about it with a bunch of other folks I don't know.

England has got some issues to resolve. Really poor finishing, no real urgency in their game.

I'm not sure what the solution is. They seem to really lack the midfield play maker.

709081[/snapback]

There were difficulties in England's approach. With the T&T team often having all 11 players in their half and behind the ball made the way they were attempting to make opportunities difficult with too many long crosses (again). Some poor finishing did not help.

With the speedier Lennon and Downing on the field England were able to stretch the T&T defence and get some better chances in the last quarter of the game and get behind the T&T defence on the wings - leading to the win.

Now England are through they will be playing teams eager to win the game rather than defend in depth, which will make the games more open and MIGHT allow England to play a better game. However with Sven in charge you never know what England will turn up.

At least the Sweden-England game I can watch without any stress whatsoever as we are now through into the next round.

yep, the injection of some pace really helped. But I think they lack a "Gazza" type player to really control the midfield and release the forwards.

They also don't seem to be supporting each other very well and there is little touch or creativity in the final 1/3 of the field. Without a cross or long range shot, they never seem able to score.

But they got the result, and that's all that counts in the group stage. A team that still has too much individual talent to write off this early.

It's obvious you don't care....no need to spell it out. As for a WC message board, that's of little interest to me. Part of what I love about TBD is the fact that many of us share common interests other than the Bills. I happen to find a lot of the people here really interesting to talk to, so naturally it would be more enjoyable to talk soccer with guys like Pete, Meazza, Tater, Hardy, DC Tom, the Brits, etc than to talk about it with a bunch of other folks I don't know.

709121[/snapback]

Can we just quit this and go back to talking about Streisand?

There were difficulties in England's approach. With the T&T team often having all 11 players in their half and behind the ball made the way they were attempting to make opportunities difficult with too many long crosses (again). Some poor finishing did not help.

With the speedier Lennon and Downing on the field England were able to stretch the T&T defence and get some better chances in the last quarter of the game and get behind the T&T defence on the wings - leading to the win.

Now England are through they will be playing teams eager to win the game rather than defend in depth, which will make the games more open and MIGHT allow England to play a better game. However with Sven in charge you never know what England will turn up.

At least the Sweden-England game I can watch without any stress whatsoever as we are now through into the next round.

709170[/snapback]

Well they better wake up in time for the round of 16, or it could be trouble...

Why do you dislike England's team Meazza?

709274[/snapback]

I don't know. I hate the English league. I despise their fans. England, Spain and Italy have the 3 strongest leagues in soccer and the English always bash the Italian league for being too closed and defensive. The Spanish do as well. There has never been an English born player to ever play in Italy and there never will be :devil:

the English always bash the Italian league for being too closed and defensive. 

709277[/snapback]

If they just would have bashed them for being corrupt and accused them of fixing outcomes they'd have been on to something :devil::lol: