The bottom line for me when it comes to

- The path that Donahoe and mgt was taking was NOT working....and didn't appear to be getting better with age

- We had entirely too many malcontents on this team.....who may have been very talented but were dragging this team down in the shadows. We as fans sit there and wonder how in the world the team seemed to always fall apart at the worst moments.....I believe this is why.

- Right or wrong this organization used precious draft choices on a rookie QB with a ton of potential but was rough around the edges.....this team needs to know if JPL is or is not the guy.....yes he needs to prove it in camp first but lets face it.....if KH (and the other QBs) are all playing at the SAME level then you have to go with JPL......KH is not going to get better and we dont know if JPL is (to me Knall is a complete unknown)

- Some people hate the aquistions that the bills got in the offseason.....I absolutely loved them.....Tripplett, Reyes, Fowler.....these were guys that their teams and teamates thought highly of.......Bowen might be another special teams ace. We didnt' go after "NAME" players.....fine....as long as they get the job done......they can earn their name HERE....keep in mind that these players are not over the hill vets they are young ones

- To me...one thing you can say about this team that you COULD NOT say about it in recent years is I can see the PLAN.....they know that they need to get this defense strong so that the offense can find its way and still have a chance to win games......

- The path that Donahoe and mgt was taking was NOT working....and didn't appear to be getting better with age

- We had entirely too many malcontents on this team.....who may have been very talented but were dragging this team down in the shadows.  We as fans sit there and wonder how in the world the team seemed to always fall apart at the worst moments.....I believe this is why.

- Right or wrong this organization used precious draft choices on a rookie QB with a ton of potential but was rough around the edges.....this team needs to know if JPL is or is not the guy.....yes he needs to prove it in camp first but lets face it.....if KH (and the other QBs) are all playing at the SAME level then you have to go with JPL......KH is not going to get better and we dont know if JPL is (to me Knall is a complete unknown)

- Some people hate the aquistions that the bills got in the offseason.....I absolutely loved them.....Tripplett, Reyes, Fowler.....these were guys that their teams and teamates thought highly of.......Bowen might be another special teams ace.  We didnt' go after "NAME" players.....fine....as long as they get the job done......they can earn their name HERE....keep in mind that these players are not over the hill vets they are young ones

- To me...one thing you can say about this team that you COULD NOT say about it in recent years is I can see the PLAN.....they know that they need to get this defense strong so that the offense can find its way and still have a chance to win games......

703477[/snapback]

Great post John!

One problem. You forgot to address the fact that we didnt "address" our o-line because we didnt spend 80 mil on hutch and bentley, and we didnt use our first 6 picks on offensive linemen! :P

- We had entirely too many malcontents on this team.....who may have been very talented but were dragging this team down in the shadows.  We as fans sit there and wonder how in the world the team seemed to always fall apart at the worst moments.....I believe this is why.

- Some people hate the aquistions that the bills got in the offseason.....I absolutely loved them.....Tripplett, Reyes, Fowler.....these were guys that their teams and teamates thought highly of.......Bowen might be another special teams ace.  We didnt' go after "NAME" players.....fine....as long as they get the job done......they can earn their name HERE....keep in mind that these players are not over the hill vets they are young ones

703477[/snapback]

I agree 100%. TD always seemed to be more style over substance. He would make the flashy move that in time would turn out to be the flashy move. I love Marv's plan. Obviously, there will be some bumps along the way. But this team is younger and deeper than last years (I won't argue it's more talent, however time will tell). You don't become a winning team with a couple of superstars. The Bills got character guys and hopefully that will translate to chemistry, alla the Sabres. The key, however, is to stick to this plan. It may not show this year, but we're on the right path.

Great post John!

One problem. You forgot to address the fact that we didnt "address" our o-line because we didnt spend 80 mil on hutch and bentley, and we didnt use our first 6 picks on offensive linemen! :P

703489[/snapback]

And you forgot to address the fact that our team sucks because we keep throwing away picks on little people. We have become something of a laughing stock, but don't let this stand in the way of your boring little one man crusade.

And you forgot to address the fact that our team sucks because we keep throwing away picks on little people. We have become something of a laughing stock, but don't let this stand in the way of your boring little one man crusade.

703501[/snapback]

I dont know if I would call John McCargo a "little person" :P

He isn't the wooly mammoth NT like Sam Adams (not that Adams was great against the run anyway) but if he can play like Sapp it wont matter.....

703501[/snapback]

I think it'll be interesting to see how much of a grace period DJ & Marv get at the Ralph this year... I've got a feeling that any defensive shortcomings will be somewhat forgiven, but that continued shoddy play by the OL will make for a potentially very ugly scene. No excuses for Marv if the OL isn't significantly better. Granted, you can't fix everything in one year, but if you're trying to salvage the career of your young franchise QB, the OL should've been priority #1.

703501[/snapback]

Looks like somebody fancies big strapping farm-boys!

I think it'll be interesting to see how much of a grace period DJ & Marv get at the Ralph this year... I've got a feeling that any defensive shortcomings will be somewhat forgiven, but that continued shoddy play by the OL will make for a potentially very ugly scene. No excuses for Marv if the OL isn't significantly better. Granted, you can't fix everything in one year, but if you're trying to salvage the career of your young franchise QB, the OL should've been priority #1.

703513[/snapback]

Actually, when you step away from the board and look at the real world and talk to other bills fans not posting here, you will find that alot have hope for this team and can see the team being an improvement over last year. This seems to be the place were the doom and gloom clouds seem to hover over head and constantly believe there is only one way to build a sucessful football team, and Marv and DJ haven't done that (and never will)

703513[/snapback]

From what I've noticed, a good number at TBD have decided that 3 days into the FA period was enough grace period for the new organization.

Personally I expect to see improvement on the field by the end of the season.

That doesn't necessarily mean more wins, just a more consistent effort & determination from the players.

703501[/snapback]

And this is somehow different than your one man "we didnt draft 8 o-linemen so our draft sucked!" crusade? I'd really like to see how your offense of 10 o-linemen and a QB does, since you hate "little people".

I know we need a strong o-line to win, thats obvious. but we DID add some linemen this off-season, and the players we drafted are good players in positions that were needed. So if we get 4 starters out of this draft, it will still suck because we didnt draft linemen?

As someone mentioned in a previous thread, football isnt 3 yards and a cloud of dust anymore. Its try and stop all of our WR's when we overload.

In order for those WRs to thrive, a dominant, pass-blocking offensive line is a virtual must.

Teams that run wide open offenses - St. Louis, Indianpolis, Denver all boast offensive lines that are in the upper echelon in the league. Moreover, I think there's something to be said about drafting offensive linemen and bringing them into the systetm at an early stage in their career.

As someone mentioned in a previous thread, football isnt 3 yards and a cloud of dust anymore. Its try and stop all of our WR's when we overload.

703789[/snapback]

In order for those WRs to thrive, a dominant, pass-blocking offensive line is a virtual must.

Teams that run wide open offenses - St. Louis, Indianpolis, Denver all boast offensive lines that are in the upper echelon in the league.  Moreover, I think there's something to be said about drafting offensive linemen and bringing them into the systetm at an early stage in their career.

703844[/snapback]

While i understand the need for a solid o-line, can you explain how much 3 early o-line picks would have done for us this year and in the future? Where would they have started? Who would they have displaced off the roster?

Perhaps the plan is to biuld the line through free agency and not wait for draft picks to develop?

Gandy - does not need to be replaced

LG - problem area....Reyes is a good pass blocker

C - Fowler brought in to upgrade this position

RG - Villy deserves a year to see if he still has it

RT - Peters is an up and comer

The line WAS addressed with pass blockers......it is my hope that next year they will continue to bring in more free agent vet OL men....to me this seems to be the plan

Perhaps the plan is to biuld the line through free agency and not wait for draft picks to develop?

The line WAS addressed with pass blockers......it is my hope that next year they will continue to bring in more free agent vet OL men....to me this seems to be the plan

704032[/snapback]

I agree completely john. Thers nothing wrong with gandy at LT. Hes not spectacular, but hes not a liability. The only problem with Gandy is that his name isnt Pace, Ogden, or Jones. Also, by next season, even if villy hits the wall, isnt that what we have been developing preston for? Oh thats right, preston wasnt a high draft pick, so he automatically sucks.

As for this years draft, in a few years, i think we'l be seeing peters and butler as our bookends. Peters-Reyes-Fowler-Preston-Butler to the SB in 2008 :P

704032[/snapback]

Basically the same plan Donaho used hmmm?

No doubt that gettig rid of the Meathead outweighs any of the negatives... even if we take a step backward to move forward again.

703481[/snapback]

God Yes.

Plus hiring Coordinators who have an actual plan is a nice change. 0:)

You be the judge.

By the "NFL" numbers:

TBD's "First String"

LT Mike Gandy 6'4" 310

LG Tut Reyes 6'3" 310

C Mel Fowler 6'3" 295

RG Chris Villarrial 6'3" 318

RT Jason Peters 6'4" 328

AVERAGE 312 lbs

Second String

LT Matt Morgan 6'6" 304

LG Duke Preston 6'5" 311

C Justin Geisinger 6'3" 322

RG Jason Thomas 6'4" 325

RT Aaron (the "poor man's" Mike Williams) Gibson 6'7" 371

AVERAGE 326 lbs

Third String

LT Brad Butler 6'8" 292

LG Ben Anderson 6'5" 345

C Doughnut Hole 0'0" 0

RG Aaron Merz 6'4" 340

RT Greg Jerman 6'5" 310

AVERAGE 322 lbs

RG in waiting Dylan McFarland 6'5" 290

RT in waiting Terrance Pennington 6'7" 319

AVERAGE 304 lbs

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Here's how they compare to the starters on several other teams you may have heard of:

Pitter Patters First String

LT Kaczur 6'4" 319

LG Mankins 6'3" 310

C Hochstein 6'4" 305

RG Neal 6'4" 305

RT Gorin 6'6" 308

AVERAGE 309 lbs

Stealers First String

LT Smith 6'5" 325

LG Faneca 6'5" 307

C Hartings 6'3" 299

RG Simmons 6'3" 319

RT Starks 6'8" 337

AVERAGE 317 lbs

Cowgirls First String

LT Marcus Price 6'4" 310 That name sounds familiar, doesn't it?

LG Peterman 6'4" 323

C Johnson 6'5" 305

RG Rivera 6'4" 307

RT Petitti 6'6" 325

AVERAGE 314 lbs

Denver Horseys First String

LT Lepsis 6'4" 290

LG Hamilton 6'4" 283

C Nalen 6'3" 286

RG Carlisle 6'5" 295

RT Foster 6'5" 338

AVERAGE 298 lbs

Dieami Felons First String

LT McIntosh 6'4" 320

LG James 6'4" 320

C Hadnot 6'2" 325

RG Ephriam 6'4" 312

RT Carey 6'5" 335

AVERAGE 322 lbs

J-E-S-T-S

LT Jones 6'4" 296

LG Goodwin 6'3" 318

C Kendall 6'5" 280

RG Moore 6'3" 295

RT Gragg 6'8" 315

AVERAGE 300 lbs

St. Louie Gooie's First String

LT World Pace 6'7" 325

LG Terrell 6'2" 343

C McCollum 6'4" 300

RG Timmerman 6'4" 310

RT Barron 6'7" 320

AVERAGE 319 lbs

Heavy Iggles

LT Hicks 6'4" 335

LG Clarke 6'4" 330

C Jackson 6'4" 330

RG Andrews 6'4" 340

RT Runyan 6'7" 330

AVERAGE 333 lbs (must be the training table cheesesteaks)

Jints

LT Petitgout 6'6" 310

LG Diehl 6'5" 315

C O'Hara 6'3" 306

RG Snee 6'3" 314

RT McKenzie 6'6" 327

AVERAGE 314 lbs