In the Crease. No Goal. Delay of Game.

Hard to imagine a worse mandatory call than that delay of game last night. I can understand if it's intentional, then you are "delaying the game." What happens when you ice the puck? How come that's not a penalty?

I knew they were cursed when Carolina scored the first goal off a guy's shoulder 8 feet from the goal. The guy didn't even know it hit him.

The Sabres had, what, 2 power plays....and both were cut short by penalties...the 2nd one was a horrible call.

I've read and heard enough about how the team was shorthanded by 7 players. It's no compensation to me. To have to wait another year and another 3 rounds of playoffs, with horrible officiating and all the b.s., I'm not sure I have the heart for this.

I am proud of the team, and the effort. Carolina makes me puke, whiny bastards, and I'm not sure I can watch a minute of the finals. I'd like to see them get swept, although that might make people think less of the Sabres.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to imagine a worse mandatory call than that delay of game last night.  I can understand if it's intentional, then you are "delaying the game."  What happens when you ice the puck?  How come that's not a penalty? 

I knew they were cursed when Carolina scored the first goal off a guy's shoulder 8 feet from the goal.  The guy didn't even know it hit him. 

The Sabres had, what, 2 power plays....and both were cut short by penalties...the 2nd one was a horrible call. 

I've read and heard enough about how the team was shorthanded by 7 players.  It's no compensation to me.  To have to wait another year and another 3 rounds of playoffs, with horrible officiating and all the b.s., I'm not sure I have the heart for this. 

I am proud of the team, and the effort.  Carolina makes me puke, whiny bastards, and I'm not sure I can watch a minute of the finals.  I'd like to see them get swept, although that might make people think less of the Sabres.

702098[/snapback]

It's a rule. It sucks, it sucks, it sucks, but it's a rule.

It's a rule.  It sucks, it sucks, it sucks, but it's a rule.

702102[/snapback]

It's a rule, like icing, that the officials are allowed a little discretion on. They can judge a puck that goes into the stands as an errant pass and not call the delay of game penalty.

Nevertheless, in this particular case...I think it would be a serious leap of logic to claim Campbell's clearing attempt was an errant pass; it was a clearing attempt that went off the ice, and the right call by the refs.

It's a rule, like icing, that the officials are allowed a little discretion on.  They can judge a puck that goes into the stands as an errant pass and not call the delay of game penalty.

Nevertheless, in this particular case...I think it would be a serious leap of logic to claim Campbell's clearing attempt was an errant pass; it was a clearing attempt that went off the ice, and the right call by the refs.

702105[/snapback]

I don't believe they are the same. Shoot the puck in the stands, get a penalty, that simple...

I don't believe they are the same.  Shoot the puck in the stands, get a penalty, that simple...

702111[/snapback]

Intentionally shoot the puck in the stands, get a penalty. There's plenty of examples of errant passes, shots, or deflections going off into the stands that don't get called for delay of game. But an errant clearing attempt is pretty damned unambiguous... <_<

It's a rule.  It sucks, it sucks, it sucks, but it's a rule.

702102[/snapback]

I agree. It's a rule.

It's like that in the crease thing they had a few years back. They always took back a goal when there was a guy in the crease. It wasn't always a good thing but they always called it. <_<

I agree.  It's a rule.

It's like that in the crease thing they had a few years back.  They always took back a goal when there was a guy in the crease.  It wasn't always a good thing but they always called it.  <_<

702118[/snapback]

. . . except in game 6 against the Stars.

Intentionally shoot the puck in the stands, get a penalty.  There's plenty of examples of errant passes, shots, or deflections going off into the stands that don't get called for delay of game.  But an errant clearing attempt is pretty damned unambiguous...  <_<

702115[/snapback]

By definition, that is the rule - one that goes into the stnads without making contact with anything else 1st.

I don't want to dwell on that. That stuff happens. I don't think we should make it some sort of tag line or symbol. These Sabres are better than that garbage. They went out and played as hard as they could and they came up a bit short, in part because of a ridiculous string of injuries. We are better off just thinking of it that way instead of some silly monicker and issue to whine about. I'm tired of whining about crap like this. I think that's what these Sabres did. No more excuses. What happened, happened, let's get'em next year when we're healthier and smarter.

I know we can, and we will.

For some reason, I thought that the NHL changed this to a per se rule.  Does anyone know for sure?  Do the refs have any discretion on this?

702117[/snapback]

I think I saw a couple of cases this year where the ref let it go because the clearing attempt hit the boards/glass and somehow deflected into the seats. But if the puck goes from the stick to the stands - intentional or not - it's a penalty.

Campbell knew it right away and didn't argue.

I agree.  It's a rule.

It's like that in the crease thing they had a few years back.  They always took back a goal when there was a guy in the crease.  It wasn't always a good thing but they always called it.   <_<

702118[/snapback]

And I want the rules enforced now as much as I wanted them enforced back then.

When we win, as by the book as possible, it's going to be so sweet. A good part of me could not live with it if roles were reversed and we won the way the Stars did. And I'm being honest, here.

Now if you want to argue it's a lousy rule, THAT I'm with you on.

I agree.  It's a rule.

It's like that in the crease thing they had a few years back.  They always took back a goal when there was a guy in the crease.  It wasn't always a good thing but they always called it.  <_<

702118[/snapback]

From what I hear, it's yet another rule that will change this offseason after negatively impacting us, just like the crease rule. :)

I don't want to dwell on that.  That stuff happens.  I don't think we should make it some sort of tag line or symbol.  These Sabres are better than that garbage.  They went out and played as hard as they could and they came up a bit short, in part because of a ridiculous string of injuries.  We are better off just thinking of it that way instead of some silly monicker and issue to whine about.  I'm tired of whining about crap like this.  I think that's what these Sabres did.  No more excuses.  What happened, happened, let's get'em next year when we're healthier and smarter.

I know we can, and we will.

702146[/snapback]

Nice post. I'm on board with this.

I agree.  It's a rule.

702118[/snapback]

Which is why '99 was so much worse than last night...at least they were consistent about it all year. We could've tied it on the Power Play with 4:00 left, but our special teams sucked.

Can't believe we're blaming the refs. Injuries cost us the cup and nothing else, plain and simple. It sucks.

Do you ever watch Elmo with the kids?

When the puck was lying of the ice, I thought Rory Fitzpatrick was Mr. Noodle.

IT'S THERE MR. NOODLE, IT'S THERE!

<_<

Elmo came to the RBC one week early.

I'll go to my grave believing that Andrew Ladd's stick knocked that clearing attempt into the stands and that Devorski made an awful call late in a tied Game7.