The Detroit Lions released DT Dan Wilkinson.

My God!!  We can't all be stuck on "stupid".  Why is that that everytime an NFL starter is released, it immediately triggers some brain waive in a "waller" that automatically envisions the released player in a Bills uniform?

Wilkinson is a lazy, fat, marginal one or two down player that has underachieved at every level he's played... even at Ohio State.  Rod Marinelli, the Lions coach... who knows a thing or two about running the cover two, thinks so much of Big Daddy and his fit into Detroit's scheme that he kicked him to the curb.  So, why even bring up the possibility of this guy playing for the Bills.

696451[/snapback]

Posts like this are becoming more obnoxious than the original posts themselves. Besides, the OP was not an unreasonable one to make, b/c...

1. We need help on the DL

2. This guy played under Jauron.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how long after he would get signed, everyone would turn on him and say how bad of a move it was for the Bills to sign him and how he is just a retread and a has been and will be cut in training camp.

696491[/snapback]

No, as soon as the Bills signed him, a lot would be loving the move & calling Marv a genius again.

According to KFFL Millen tried to trade him to a couple of teams before releasing him but nothing materialized. It doesn't sound like Wilkerson is going to retire just yet. I think that these potential teams weren't going to pay Detroit for a player that they would be able to just pick up for nothing in free agency. No matter what, Jauron would know if Big Daddy has any value. If we pass then no big deal but if we were to sign him than that should indicate that he's more than just a retread/cast-off. I would think that Wilkerson is no worse off as a DT than what Anthony Thomas is at the RB position. I hope we do sign Big Daddy, I think he would be a great addition to the middle of our defense.

My God!!  We can't all be stuck on "stupid".  Why is that that everytime an NFL starter is released, it immediately triggers some brain waive in a "waller" that automatically envisions the released player in a Bills uniform?

696451[/snapback]

we have no depth at DT.. personally I'm scared the lack of DT on this team will be it's downfall.

No, as soon as the Bills signed him, a lot would be loving the move & calling Marv a genius again.

696495[/snapback]

Just like the Reyes signing?

Everyone wanted to know why Buffalo didn't make an offer or said we should sign him and then when he finally does come in and sign, he was a cast-off from Carolina, obviously not that good cause no one else tried to sign him and Carolina didn't re-sign him so he must suck.

Everyone wanted to know why Buffalo didn't make an offer or said we should sign him and then when he finally does come in and sign, he was a cast-off from Carolina, obviously not that good cause no one else tried to sign him and Carolina didn't re-sign him so he must suck.

696534[/snapback]

Depends on your perspective.... I see more absolute homers on this board than absolute negative people.

696534[/snapback]

I don't think that the above is an indication that Reyes sucks.

It does however make it hard for me to believe that he is a very good player because as a rule, teams simply do not let go of these guys. Carolina is going to replace him with a 3rd round draft pick. It does beg the question.....why?

For the record, I am glad he was brought in, because it is hard to believe that he is worse than what we have. Still, I will not pretend that enough was done to rectify an ongoing, bad situation.

it does in fact appear that wilkinson has been trying to get out of detroit, and used retirement as a threat more than anything. the lions also owed him $2.4 million if he stayed, and tried to trade him. there were no takers, though - everyone knew he was going to be cut. it's also been reported by SI that the raiders may dump sapp, and that marinelli is reportedly interested in bringing him to detroit (sapp has a good relationship with marinelli).

basically, wilkinson's departure is a much more complicated issue than simply being cut for performance. he has played decently (at the least) for detroit, by the way.

Why not take a chance on a guy like Wilkinson. We simply do not have the short yardage or goalline run stuffer that we need. A real big body in the middle to take up Olineman does not hurt. If we can squeeze a couple of years out of him than I am all for it. I dont care about the knocks he has had in his career, the fact is he has been in the league this long he is obviously doing someting right.

If we could get him cheap..i'd be all for it.Other than that,no thanks.It's kinda funny that Detroit is going to be installing a D similar to ours and made the point of saying that he didnt fit the system.

It wasn't that he didn't fit the system but that he didn't want to start over with a new coach. There waere a couple of factors that went into his release. One was that Sapp may become available and Marinelli has a history with him and the other factor that they had some young guys that they are willing to give a whirl. By no means did they didn't want him, it was more a difference of desire and opinion. Here's a quote from the imperial one himself on Wilkerson.

"Do we like him?" Millen said. "Yeah. Absolutely. We love him. ... But I think with where we're at right now, we'll go with the young guys."

If Jauron wants Big Daddy then that's alright with me. It's not like we can't use a bigger body in the middle.

He clogged up the middle alot and DT Shaun Rogers and him made quite a tandem. Could he make a difference for us in stopping the run? I noticed that Jauron does seem to favor these older guys in the NFC North. I wonder if he knew that Wilkinson was going to be a casualty and figured that he could add him to his mix of young DTs.

696207[/snapback]

Isn't he like a poor man's Sam Adams??!!

Wilkinson is a lazy, fat, marginal one or two down player that has underachieved at every level he's played... even at Ohio State.  Rod Marinelli, the Lions coach... who knows a thing or two about running the cover two, thinks so much of Big Daddy and his fit into Detroit's scheme that he kicked him to the curb.  So, why even bring up the possibility of this guy playing for the Bills.

696451[/snapback]

because John Guy is our pro player talent evaluator :lol:

If the Bills signed Wilkinson it would be the 1st bad signing of the offseason. Bad because it would go against what this team is supposed to be trying to achieve. We want fairly young, fast, and athletic players on this team, and Dan Wilikinson does not fit that model.

It would basically be like Tom Donahoe and Mike Mularkey saying we want to be a physical power running offense and then draft a 5'9 165lb WR Roscoe Parish to back that up. :lol:

Lets face it guys, no its not a given we will suck, but what is a given is we are going with yunger, faster players that will need to step up next year. Its not a bad move because alot of these players are talented, it just doesnt make fans feel warm and cozy because we will be playing younger players that have not yet made a name for themselves.

If the Bills signed Wilkinson it would be the 1st bad signing of the offseason.  Bad because it would go against what this team is supposed to be trying to achieve.  We want fairly young, fast, and athletic players on this team, and Dan Wilikinson does not fit that model.

It would basically be like Tom Donahoe and Mike Mularkey saying we want to be a physical power running offense and then draft a 5'9 165lb WR Roscoe Parish to back that up. :lol:

Lets face it guys, no its not a given we will suck, but what is a given is we are going with yunger, faster players that will need to step up next year.  Its not a bad move because alot of these players are talented, it just doesnt make fans feel warm and cozy because we will be playing younger players that have not yet made a name for themselves.

696994[/snapback]

I disagree, Wilkinson will not be an everydown player. He will be a short yardage and or goalline player. He is still effective at his age. I am not sure what his contract perameters are but if he came cheap and DJ thinks highly enough of him than he should be brought in. If not than we will go another route come cut down time.

I disagree, Wilkinson will not be an everydown player. He will be a short yardage and or goalline player. He is still effective at his age. I am not sure what his contract perameters are but if he came cheap and DJ thinks highly enough of him than he should be brought in. If not than we will go another route come cut down time.

697003[/snapback]

Why does everyone think we need fat guys to stop the run. We will stop the run by penetrating with speed.

If everything feels we are copying the Bears, just look at their DT's, WE ARE COPYING THE BEARS!

Why does everyone think we need fat guys to stop the run.  We will stop the run by penetrating with speed.

If everything feels we are copying the Bears, just look at their DT's, WE ARE COPYING THE BEARS!

697009[/snapback]

ya the bears looked great against Carolina last year.